• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPR: Top 100 Science-Fiction, Fantasy Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

Are the Sanderson Wheel of Time books good? I'm finally in a place where I think I'm ready to read another WoT book, and I'm on Gathering Storm.

Should I go for it or just go read something else?

Truth101

Banned
ultron87 said:
Are the Sanderson Wheel of Time books good? I'm finally in a place where I think I'm ready to read another WoT book, and I'm on Gathering Storm.

Yes, he is doing a really good job with the series.

Dresden

ultron87 said:

Yeah, the Sanderson WoT books are fun. It's nice to see all the threads start coming together for the ending. Not without its share of problems, but still, good reads.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
charsace said:
Kingkiller Chronicles should not be on that list. Its a decent read, but the second book falls a part in the 3rd act.

One of the problems I have with lists like these is when they include whole series (as to not take up a ton of spots from books in each series) is they fuck with things when a series is uneven.

The Wheel of Time is fantastic in a few of it's books. Some of the middle books though are down right atrocious quite honestly. I bring this up because I'd put the first Kingkiller book on this list, but I wouldn't put the 2nd anywhere near it. Much like I wouldn't put say The Path of Daggers either from The Wheel of Time.

Puddles

Banned
I decided to give Wheel of Time another chance, and I'm remembering why I put it down in the first place. 100 pages into The Eye of the World, and man, the writing is pretty bad most of the time.

I'm rather pleased to see:

69. The Farseer Trilogy, by Robin Hobb

Of The Silmarillion I've only read the story of Beren and Luthien and the first chapter or two, and given how the latter are rather dull it is understandable why it is so underrated.

marrec

Banned
Oh! Also disappointed to se RA Salvatore on the list but not the Clerics Quintet which was his best work.

And no Murakami, Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World is in my top 5.

Salazar

Dresden said:
Yeah, the Sanderson WoT books are fun. It's nice to see all the threads start coming together for the ending. Not without its share of problems, but still, good reads.

The super-myrddraal dude is intriguing.

ZephyrFate said:
This man knows what's up.

fistbump.jpg
word. Still can't believe how many pages I read, waiting for that series to go somewhere. By the time you get to book 6, you think it has to start having a point soon....then surely by 7, right? By the end of 8, I realized it didn't.

elrechazao said:
word. Still can't believe how many pages I read, waiting for that series to go somewhere. By the time you get to book 6, you think it has to start having a point soon....then surely by 7, right? By the end of 8, I realized it didn't.
Trust me, at the end of Book 10 you'll seriously wonder why thousands of pages were spent for no reason at all. What a cheap ass fucking ending.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Kind of late to the game, but a lack of anything by Alfred Bester is a damned tragedy. Bester is the father of cyberpunk for Christ's sake. Bah, whatever. I like NPR, but this list is all too predictable...

Puddles

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
Trust me, at the end of Book 10 you'll seriously wonder why thousands of pages were spent for no reason at all. What a cheap ass fucking ending.

So does Malazan have a higher or lower percentage of unnecessary pages than Wheel of Time?

Puddles said:
So does Malazan have a higher or lower percentage of unnecessary pages than Wheel of Time?
Every soldier in every battalion of every side in the Malazan series is Emmanuel Kant or some other high-brow philosopher.

It gets stupidly annoying.

genjiZERO

I've read quite a few of these. Vernor Vinge so close to the bottom is disheartening. Also, Neil Gaiman and Neil Stephenson are both entirely overrated. The first isn't a particularly good writer and the second can't keep a coherent plot together.

rando14

Question about Hyperion and its series: is it depressing? It sounds awesome from what I've seen and the reviews I've read, but it appears that the story is kinda dark.

rando14 said:
Question about Hyperion and its series: is it depressing? It sounds awesome from what I've seen and the reviews I've read, but it appears that the story is kinda dark.
Yes and no. A lot of terrible things happen, but they are a part of the grand schema of the series. The payoff is worth it.

besada

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
Not nearly enough iain banks love in this thread. For shame, GAF.

That fucker needs to put out more Culture books. I'm jonesin'.

Or at least get Excession and Feersum Endjinn on U.S. Kindle.

I am a bit surprised to see more Stephenson then Gibson on there. I mean, I think I like Stephenson's work a bit more than Gibson but Gibson is definitely a better writer. Still a bit surprising even if I think Cryptomicon should be higher.

gdt

icarus-daedelus said:
I tried to read a Wheel of Time book once, and it didn't end well.

I bought them all before I started a single one lol. I didn't like the first one...ugh. I have them all upto book 11, will never read them. I should probably give them away to the library or something.

_dementia said:
i still need to read Forever War
It is one of the most fascinating science fiction books ever made, and a far, far more enthralling picture of war and its effect on the human race than the Ender's Game series is.

Tapiozona

Banned
Just finished a Dance with Dragons (disappointed with the ending) so moving on to Ender's Game (book 1) because of recommendations in this thread and others. It's either this or Dune.

Ratrat said:
Should I read Forever Peace?

Forever Free might just be the most disappointing book I've ever read.
It is the true sequel to The Forever War, and also won a Hugo.

I don't particularly like it much, but you might.

marrec

Banned
Hate to drudge up this thread but where the hell is Riverworld?!

How can you go so wrong as to not include Riverworld?!

marrec

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Six hours is not a dredge :p
Well more like 18.

I know it's a list and I shouldn't butch about it unless I male my own Top 100... (I don't know if that is true actually.) But I keep thinking about these terrible exclusions. That coupled with some of the inclusions (Like Salvatore) just blows my freaking mind man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom