• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD is out next Thursday, anyone wanna predict?

HW + Top 10 software??

Judging by the horrible financial reports being put out by the various publishers, I think it might be pretty ugly. Also, my local EB's seems to have sold a good bit more 360's than they did in either November or December (they actually got 3 shipments, one pretty big).

I also wonder if PSP is grinding to a halt in momentum. You could make a case that some percentage of the Christmas sales were folks who would have gotten one at launch, but didn't have the funds and had to wait for Christmas.

I'm also working on an update for my top selling franchises per NPD thread, so I'll be asking how the hell I should add up the various franchises that have a ton of games

(most notably, Mario, Sonic, Star Wars, etc - I'd consider Mario Party & Mario Kart their own franchises, but what about Mario Tennis, should Wario be it's own franchise? etc. Should Shadow be put in with Sonic or seperate? Is it fair to lump KOTOR w/ Ep III, Battlefront, etc?)

MrDaravon

I predict a thread where a small number of people I can count on one hand who actually have the numbers have obvious conversations about it while everyone else will comment briefly on the top 10 numbers then bitch endlessly to get the rest of the numbers until they get bored of it and stop.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
PSP > DS

Edit: With DS lite announced, I'll go with my usual prediction instead. We'll get PSP numbers this month.

Johnas

I know it's a sales thread and all, but I figure it's finally time I ask somebody what NPD stands for, is it National Purchase Diary?

AniHawk

360 - 180k
PS2 - 190k
GC - 50k
GBA - 140k
Xbox - 65k
DS - 100k
PSP - 210k

Sega sales - ? Who wants to do them?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Wario64 said:
NPDs aren't fun anymore. Let it die. Play games, not numbers

Right on the money! They're kinda depressing these days and the media create ones only make it worse.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
My predictions are going to suck:

360 - 300k
PS2 - 400k
GC - 100k
Xbox - 150k
DS - 200k
PSP - 250k
GBA - 400k

Also, sonycowboy, do you know how much Guitar Hero sold?

I predict that a lot of people will take the 50k lead in December and say "hey, PSP will keep leading". :lol

I predict that MKDS will do at least 200k, ACWW will do more than 100k, M&L2 will do more than 100k and Nintendogs will do more than 200k.

AniHawk

A Link to the Past said:
I predict that a lot of people will take the 50k lead in December and say "hey, PSP will keep leading". :lol

Actually, it's been doing very well at our store. We must've sold at least 20 for the month. It outsold the DS at a 4:1 ratio. The PSP will definitely outsell the DS in January, and by a decent amount. It'll prolly be the best-selling system of the month simply due to the fact that the 360 tech-heads will want to spend their money from Xmas on the PSP.

Andy787

Banned
A Link to the Past said:

I predict that MKDS will do at least 200k, ACWW will do more than 100k, M&L2 will do more than 100k and Nintendogs will do more than 200k.
39741-Greenguy.gif

Flakster99

SailorDaravon said:
I predict a thread where a small number of people I can count on one hand who actually have the numbers have obvious conversations about it while everyone else will comment briefly on the top 10 numbers then bitch endlessly to get the rest of the numbers until they get bored of it and stop.

QFT.

AniHawk said:
Actually, it's been doing very well at our store. We must've sold at least 20 for the month. It outsold the DS at a 4:1 ratio. The PSP will definitely outsell the DS in January, and by a decent amount. It'll prolly be the best-selling system of the month simply due to the fact that the 360 tech-heads will want to spend their money from Xmas on the PSP.

That's an... intersting theory. o.o

Andy787 said:

Yes, that's my avatar. o.o

AniHawk

A Link to the Past said:
That's an... intersting theory. o.o

AniHawk said:
I think the DS will be outsold by the PSP for December, and if not that, then definitely in January. Nintendo should've kept the bundles going.

This was before the December NPDs were out.

AniHawk

cvxfreak said:
AniHawk, you need to tell GameStop management about the situation in Japan.

Wouldn't change a thing. PSP is the more expensive system with the more expensive games (and thus, with the more expensive used stuff)

AniHawk said:
shitty shipment amounts since, oh, launch.

I guess so. Earlier this week at GameStop my father tried to ask for when they can finally get X360s to buy, they said we can get them eventually....after they fill 20 pre-orders... :|

AniHawk

HomerSimpson-Man said:
I guess so. Earlier this week at GameStop my father tried to ask for when they can finally get X360s to buy, they said we can get them eventually....after they fill 20 pre-orders... :|

We're finally almost done. Probably late February for walk-ins.

People have been surprisingly nice about this whole thing, everything considered.

Mrbob

RaijinFY said:
Yeah I know, but I would have thought they'd improved their shipment a little but heh, seems unlikely.

3rd factory is up starting this month. MS is planning on hitting around 2.25 to 2.5 million shipped by the end of the month. Not too bad. Shipping problems should be gone in a month or so, with production ramping up for big sales in Xmas 2006 for next gen leadership. :D

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
It's sad, we stopped getting numbers right after my membership got verified. Maybe it's all my fault. But for consoles I'm going to say PS2>360>GC>Xbox. And I figure the DS and PSP will be almost the same. Negligible difference like the last few months.

RaijinFY

Mrbob said:
3rd factory is up starting this month. MS is planning on hitting around 2.25 to 2.5 million shipped by the end of the month. Not too bad. Shipping problems should be gone in a month or so, with production ramping up for big sales in Xmas 2006 for next gen leadership. :D

Bah, in two months, Sony will catch them up.

PS2 - 340k
XBX - 70k
GCN - 90k
X360 - 220k
GBA - 290k
PSP - 200k
NDS - 175k

Btw. is the Wedbush report out (haven't seen the thread if it is)?

donny2112

Predictions

PS2 - 300K
360 - 280K
PSP - 210K
NDS - 200K
GBA - 150K
GCN - 100K
XBX - 88K

sonycowboy said:
I'm also working on an update for my top selling franchises per NPD thread, so I'll be asking how the hell I should add up the various franchises that have a ton of games

(most notably, Mario, Sonic, Star Wars, etc - I'd consider Mario Party & Mario Kart their own franchises, but what about Mario Tennis, should Wario be it's own franchise? etc. Should Shadow be put in with Sonic or seperate? Is it fair to lump KOTOR w/ Ep III, Battlefront, etc?)

The easiest way would be to put all Mario together, all Star Wars, etc. From a purest perspective, though, you could put it "Mario Sports," "Mario Party," "Main Mario Games," "Mario RPGs," "Star Wars movie-based," "Star Wars universe, non-movie," etc. Obviously there are multiple ways to split it, which is why I'd recommend going the easy way and combining all Mario together, etc.

Super Smash Bros. would have to be its own category, though, or else you'd end up adding it multiple times (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc.).

Top Bottom