• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nosferatu is the next film from Robert Eggers (The Witch)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let Me In is substantially better than the original.

-warmer colors
-better isolation of the main character (his mother's face is always obscured, she's an alcoholic)
-no silly lady with cats side story
-more freudian

Decider

The Witch was a bore... nothing scared me one bit...
The Witch was more concerned with creating an atmosphere of creeping dread and paranoia, building toward
the inevitable doom of the family and the seduction of their daughter
. If you wanted scares, you watched the wrong film. I personally enjoyed the fact that it didn't use cheap shite like jump scares or other modern horror tropes.

pixelation

This. The goat was funny tho.
Yeah... though i kept waiting for it to do something creepy... like that goat from "Drag me to Hell" that starts dancing creepily.
The Witch was more concerned with creating an atmosphere of creeping dread and paranoia, building toward
the inevitable doom of the family and the seduction of their daughter
. If you wanted scares, you watched the wrong film. I personally enjoyed the fact that it didn't use cheap shite like jump scares or other modern horror tropes.
I know man, i knew what to expect... more atmosphere and shit... i love pictures like those but... The Witch didn't do nothing for me, i was not expecting jump scares out of it. Maybe feel a bit uneased?... but zilch.

Nakadai30

It's a shame his next project ends up being a remake. Don't feel this needs to be made again. Hopefully it does well and he gets enough backing to make another original film after this.

anyway i nominate adam driver for lead

Adam-Driver-Golden-Globes-Skit-SNL-2016-Video.jpg

I absolutely agree with this. Driver would make for a killer Count Orlok!

If possible, I'd also suggest Eva Green for the role of Ellen/Mina Harker/Lucy Harker/whatever they're going to end up calling her in this film. She was born to play this role.

Forkball

Nosferatu is essentially Dracula, and if I remember correctly the Herzog remake used the name Dracula and the characters from the novel. I dunno... I think we've all had our fill of Dracula. I hope Eggers does something really different and interesting than just another Dracula movie.

Nosferatu is essentially Dracula, and if I remember correctly the Herzog remake used the name Dracula and the characters from the novel. I dunno... I think we've all had our fill of Dracula. I hope Eggers does something really different and interesting than just another Dracula movie.
Orlok is a rat, vermin, plague and death literally follows him. In Egger's hand, and his knack for period accurate tone, no way this is just another Dracula movie

Zubz

Banned
I never saw the Herzog remake, but I love the original. I hope this version does it justice! As everyone else said, the key is to make Orlok some animalistic hunter, not just another charming-but-viscious rich vampire.

gabbo

The Murnau film actually created the 'death by sunlight' that would permeate all other vampire films, since it's not in the original novel. That's a rather large change.

I'm in for this, The Witch was a damn fine piece of work, though I'm not sure how to take his “I can’t also do Max Schreck again either, so that’s fun, so it’s going back to the origins of the folk vampire,” said Eggers, who is also writing the script.". Does he mean the look of the Orlock character won't be walking plague/rat like, or that it will look like that (ie the Nosferatu from Vampire:Bloodlines), but less of a Dracula inspired backstory for the character?

Revolver

Let Me In is substantially better than the original.

-warmer colors
-better isolation of the main character (his mother's face is always obscured, she's an alcoholic)
-no silly lady with cats side story
-more freudian

I love both but I tend to feel the remake is better. Only knock is the dumb CGI scene under the bridge with the jogger.

The Murnau film actually created the 'death by sunlight' that would permeate all other vampire films, since it's not in the original novel. That's a rather large change.

I'm in for this, The Witch was a damn fine piece of work, though I'm not sure how to take his “I can’t also do Max Schreck again either, so that’s fun, so it’s going back to the origins of the folk vampire,” said Eggers, who is also writing the script.". Does he mean the look of the Orlock character won't be walking plague/rat like, or that it will look like that (ie the Nosferatu from Vampire:Bloodlines), but less of a Dracula inspired backstory for the character?
I'm assuming it's the latter. Once you move away from classic Gothic to grim historical accuracy, the Dracula-style portrayal doesn't really fit

BigDes

Weren't eastern European interpretations of vampires just essentially slightly more intelligent zombies that you'd have to be a bit of a fucking idiot to get killed by though?

Like they weren't super strong or clever,they were kind of pathetic

gabbo

Weren't eastern European interpretations of vampires just essentially slightly more intelligent zombies that you'd have to be a bit of a fucking idiot to get killed by though?

Like they weren't super strong or clever,they were kind of pathetic

It depends on where he's setting it, since they vary by region and time period

Steamlord

Fuck yes, she was so good in The Witch.

I still can't get over the fact that this is happening. This is like my dream movie.

From August, but just saw this piece of news

Anya Taylor-Joy is teaming up again with Eggers for Nosferatu
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/08/no...-eggers-anya-taylor-joy-the-witch-1201866720/

I read about it when the news broke out, but I'm beyond stoked to see these two team up again. Taylor-Joy crushed it in The Witch and she'd make a superb Mrs Harker, assuming that's the role she's been cast in.

I've been wondering for ages now who Eggers is gonna cast for Orlok.

Yesss
Great actor and director. The Witch is one of my all time favorites. Like top 5.

Yeah, The Witch has been creeping up the rankings in my mind over the past year and a half since I first saw it early last year. It's a modern classic IMO. If Eggers can maintain this sort of quality in his future films, he will go on to be a big name in the filmmaking world.

So he's actually directly remaking Nosferatu itself, including keeping the names? If I recall the Herzog remake restored the Dracula names since it was public domain.

We don't know for sure yet. The Herzog film changed back to the Dracula names, but it kept the same primary beats of the original Murnau film.

All we know so far is that Eggers is writing and directing the film, he wants it to be like The Witch in being historically reflective of 1830s Germany and that Anya Taylor-Joy is cast in a role for the film.

We don't know for sure yet. The Herzog film changed back to the Dracula names, but it kept the same primary beats of the original Murnau film.

All we know so far is that Eggers is writing and directing the film, he wants it to be like The Witch in being historically reflective of 1830s Germany and that Anya Taylor-Joy is cast in a role for the film.
And not just period piece details, but he was also researching period-accurate vampire lore

That alone would give us a very different take on Nosferatu than we’ve ever gotten

Fury451

Banned
The Witch was a bore... nothing scared me one bit...

This is the fault of marketing and reviews calling at the scariest movie in 50 years or whatever usual bullshit they say.

It's far more of a psychological thriller or psychological horror film, and if you really want to get down to it the subtitle it is "A New England Folktale", which is probably the most accurate description and giveaway for what the movie really is.

This is the fault of marketing and reviews calling at the scariest movie in 50 years or whatever usual bullshit they say.

It's far more of a psychological thriller or psychological horror film, and if you really want to get down to it the subtitle it is "A New England Folktale", which is probably the most accurate description and giveaway for what the movie really is.
I saw a video that offered a great perspective that the movie we see is what the villagers back home are telling happened to the exiled family

CHC

I thought his next movie was going to be about a knight or something? Remember hearing that a while back....

bosseye

The Witch was good, very unsettling, very atmospheric. I'm not hugely familiar with any of the Nosferatu films (sorry!) but interested to see how this version pans out.

nachum00

I think Eggers is a great choice for a Nosferatu remake.

But man Murnau and Herzog are two of my favorite directors. Gonna be hard to top either of them.

I thought his next movie was going to be about a knight or something? Remember hearing that a while back....

It's the title of a medieval epic film that Eggers has been working on for awhile. It's some sort of original story of his, like The Witch. It's supposed to be made by the same studio that Eggers is making Nosferatu with.

My guess is that the studio asked Eggers to make Nosferatu first and then make The Knight later.

Sounds good.
Though he has massive shoes to fill, after Murnau and Herzog.

Both Nosferatu movies are 10/10’s for me, so yeah it’ll be tough to top. But if there’s one dude who’s perfect for the material right now it’s Eggers, and I could see him doing something interesting with it with his penchant for grounding his horror in real world details and folklore.

The Witch was good, very unsettling, very atmospheric. I'm not hugely familiar with any of the Nosferatu films (sorry!) but interested to see how this version pans out.

You should definitely watch both Nosferatu films if this interests you. They’re the bar for vampire films.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom