• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nordisk Games buys 40% of MercurySteam

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Nordisk Games has acquired a 40% stake in the Spanish development studio MercurySteam.

The exact value of the deal was not disclosed by the Copenhagen-based firm, which said only that the investment was "sizeable."

MercurySteam, which is based in Madrid, has a team of 160 people, and is best known for its work on games such as Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and Metroid: Samus Returns.

The studio's most recent launch was the self-published free-to-play title Spacelords, though Nordisk said it has multiple new games in development.

The acquisition of 40% of MercurySteam represents Nordisk's first investment outside of the Nordic region. It now has eight games companies in its portfolio.

Castlevania 3 please :messenger_heart:

Lords of Shadow 2 was a masterpiece imo.
People enjoy that series? They're decent GoW clones but I've played maybe an hour of both games, I'll have to play through them more but yeah they had great graphics and I'd love a third game just for that factor alone.

Kimahri

Banned
I think people need to use correct names here. The is Nordisk Film Games, not Nordisk Games, not to be confused with Nordic Games. Nordisk is scandinavian for Nordic, so yeah. Nordisk Film has been around a lot longer than Nordic Games so it's a bit of an odd thing going there.

Ywap

Wasn't second one shit? I enjoy first one a LOT. I will crush you Belmond

The first one was great but the second was even better imo. The non fixed camera did alot for the game. Played it on pc at a glorious 60fps btw.

Fantastic action adventure game (y)

The first Lords of Shadows was sooo good. I platted it. The second one was so mediocre. A lot of misdirection and mismanagement went on at that studio during the making of the second one. Unfortunate.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Castlevania 3 please :messenger_heart:

Lords of Shadow 2 was a masterpiece imo.

I literally just beat this game like 2 weeks ago and it was NOT a masterpiece. Part 1 was way better. Whose bright idea was it to put a castlevania game in a modern city? And why do you have to keep turning into a rat even at the end of the game when you are super powerful? Combat was great as in part 1.

The first Lords of Shadows was sooo good. I platted it. The second one was so mediocre. A lot of misdirection and mismanagement went on at that studio during the making of the second one. Unfortunate.

I loved the first game, great art, awesome story. Nice combat. Super fun.

Fbh

People enjoy that series? They're decent GoW clones but I've played maybe an hour of both games, I'll have to play through them more but yeah they had great graphics and I'd love a third game just for that factor alone.

Lords of Shadow 1, while not flawless, was really fun.
It's true that it felt more like God of War than Castlevania but it was still a really fun game with enjoyable gameplay and great art direction.

With 2 they really dropped the ball. The awesome locations of 1 mostly replaced by boring grey city environments, and some terrible forced stealth sections. Because that's what I want to do when playing as a powerful vampire, turn into a rat and hide from enemies.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Under Nintendo's guidance Metroid 2: Samus Returns is a great 3DS game despite MercurySteam's involvement. The first Lord of Shadows was an ok game as well was the 2D spinoff, especially the Steam versions, but Lord of Shadow's 2 was terrible based on the plot, setting, and uneven gameplay.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Wasn't second one shit? I enjoy first one a LOT. I will crush you Belmond
Two had great premise but was badly flawed
This quote will always stick with me
"I was like you once. But your god showed me another path. That's why the power of your god cannot destroy me, because I am his chosen one."
It's such a sad story
Also the final boss fight that goes from the dreaded and fearful Dracula theme and then goes into Gabriels theme from the first game as you progress in beating the boss as if it's telling a story is epic

Last edited:

intbal

Did MercurySteam acquire the rights to Blade of Darkness after Rebel Act shut down?
A remaster of that would be appreciated.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I have a deep hatred for Nordisk Film. They are the official PlayStation distributor in the Nordics (for whatever reason Sony doesn't have their own console distribution here), and they always rob us blind with their jacked up console prices. They go far, FAR beyond just adding the expected VAT etc. It was like this with the PS4, it is like this with the PS5 (which costs the equivalent of almost €600 here).

Holammer

Raiders of the Broken Planet/Spacelords has magnificent graphics and music, but nobody ever talks about it. Game could have been saved with better direction and building it as a singleplayer campaign from the start. Have the asymmetrical PvPvE mode as its own thing. It could have been an IP on the same level as Borderlands.

Why it failed is obvious.
- Too edgy, while characters have a rad Heavy Metal magazine aesthetic, it's too much. All of them are edgy & ANGRY AS FUCK and/or have mascara smear everywhere. Gotta throw in some heroic nice ones with pretty faces in that sea of edge. For every Lobo, you need one Superman.
- Loot is not fair, if the antagonist wins, he takes it all. Raiders win they gotta gamble for the loot, so a majority of players might not get any reward for the 15 minute session. That's perfectly in line with the edgy theme of the game, but it pissed of players and made 'em spend their time elsewhere.
- Melee is too powerful and few actually understands how the janken works. You just roll the die and hope that lag will be on your side.
- It is super laggy with no dedicated servers and few players so matchmaking is fucked. Congrats new players, that lvl 100+ antagonist will rape you horribly.
- Story briefing before each mission, everyone must chose to skip it, which they won't. So you'll see them over and over.

The music during the after action report always gave me a kick, especially the floppy sounds towards the end.

Top Bottom