• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Non-VR gamers: What are the games (Besides Half-Life Alyx) you would like to play if they weren't VR-only?

Wonko_C

I excluded Alyx because it's ovbiously going to fill this thread with that game and not much else, it would become instantly boring, besides it already has a couple of no-VR mods out there.

I remember seeing Moss at Sony's E3 2017 press conference and was like "Damn, why does it have to be VR?".

Danknugz

I excluded Alyx because it's ovbiously going to fill this thread with that game and not much else, it would become instantly boring, besides it already has a couple of no-VR mods out there.

I remember seeing Moss at Sony's E3 2017 press conference and was like "Damn, why does it have to be VR?".
I expect crickets for this thread. VR games are mostly either shovelware, rudimentary like best sabre, sterile and sanitized like population one, or a painful, forced experience.

Most of those games like moss are really just traditional platformers with VR tacked on, those aren't true VR to me. Lickeys tale 1 was "VR" tacked on and they didn't even support vr for super lickeys tale.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I expect crickets for this thread. VR games are mostly either shovelware, rudimentary like best sabre, sterile and sanitized like population one, or a painful, forced experience.

Most of those games like moss are really just traditional platformers with VR tacked on, those aren't true VR to me. Lickeys tale 1 was "VR" tacked on and they didn't even support vr for super lickeys tale.
hot-takes-so.jpg

Danknugz

i was a big oculus supporter in the beginning. didn't kickstart dk1 but i have a dk2, cv1 and an index. i kind of lost interest after carmack et al left the company.

fwiw, index still unopened and got it at the end of 2021. i even have 4 2.0 base stations (i ordered 2 extra which are also still in the shipping box)

Humdinger

I don't know of any, tbh. To me, the appeal of VR is the VR aspect itself. VR games rarely seem that compelling by themselves, i.e., absent the VR immersion. I think this is one of VR's problems, actually. It's hard to point to a game and say, "that's a great game" (apart from the VR experience). However, I also admit I do not know the VR catalog all that well, so there could be some great games (that would be great on their own, without VR) out there. I'm just not aware of any.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
None. There are almost no vr only games that I would like on flat screen.
Alyx would be terrible on flat screen. That game got barely any action. It's all immersion and moving around objects.
Lone Echo was a fantastic story but that is also all about navigating in space, pushing yourself off the walls and moving levers.

Well, I gess Astrobot would be good in 2d.

I want more hybrid games. Real games in vr are good because first and foremost stuff like re4,8 are real games.

th4tguy

lol none. So many game play confessions are made to fit a game into a vr friendly setup that any game that also comes to non vr systems either has to be majorly reworked or retains the vr Hank and doesn’t feel good to play.

Vr needs a new/ radically different means of controlling to allow for it to take over standard screen games and I don’t think that is possible until we get some kind of neural controls like in the movies/ shows.

Hudo

I only had the desire to play Half-Life: Alyx, which I did. Everything else doesn't seem interesting enough to me.

Resenge

i kind of lost interest after carmack et al left the company.
Why? was Carmack essential to your VR fun?

Meta is in a strong position in the VR space right now, much better games are out, much better hardware, more people are playing on Quest eco system than ever. Carmack leaving the VR space (even though he still loves VR) seems like a strange excuse to stop playing.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Anyone saying Alyx definitely hasn't actually played it. It would suck as a normal game. The entire thing is built as a VR experience.

You could definitely do a non-VR Beat Sabre but you'd still need two waggle controllers so its use case is even more limited.

Resenge

Anyone saying Alyx definitely hasn't actually played it. It would suck as a normal game. The entire thing is built as a VR experience.

You could definitely do a non-VR Beat Sabre but you'd still need two waggle controllers so its use case is even more limited.
I agree, all my fave VR games are fun due to VR. I would not even look twice at a lot of them on a flat screen.

There is a Unreal Engine mod coming out soon that will convert a lot of old games playable in VR with motion controls. I am now looking at flat screen games I would never bother to play due to this mod coming out.

I feel Praydogs UE mod is going to make a big impact, I am buying games on the steam sale due to this mod alone.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Why? was Carmack essential to your VR fun?

Meta is in a strong position in the VR space right now, much better games are out, much better hardware, more people are playing on Quest eco system than ever. Carmack leaving the VR space (even though he still loves VR) seems like a strange excuse to stop playing.
There are still no large meaty games though. I personally like RPGs, Strategy, Driving, Space Flight, and some action/sports games.

There are a few Driving games, couple VR space sim/flight (Elite, etc), but overall it’s very sparse.

Beyond Fallout 4/Skyrim there are no large RPGs. There are no interesting strategy games. So it’s kind of meh. Plus I would either need to buy somewhat outdated Index hardware for $1K (have Oculus original retail headset) or get Meta with decent hardware but giving data to Meta. There have been no reason to do so from gaming perspective.

Resenge

There are still no large meaty games though. I personally like RPGs, Strategy, Driving, Space Flight, and some action/sports games.

There are a few Driving games, couple VR space sim/flight (Elite, etc), but overall it’s very sparse.

Beyond Fallout 4/Skyrim there are no large RPGs. There are no interesting strategy games. So it’s kind of meh. Plus I would either need to buy somewhat outdated Index hardware for $1K (have Oculus original retail headset) or get Meta with decent hardware but giving data to Meta. There have been no reason to do so from gaming perspective.
Fair enough, more games like that in VR would be great for sure. Maybe checkout Praydogs Unreal Engine Vr injector if you could be bothered to setup your VR gear sometime?

Asgards Wrath 2 sounds just up your street, a 100 hour open world RPG, also Gran Turismo on PSVR2 is one of the best driving experiences I have ever had, you list racing games in your list but I think flat screen racing games just cannot compare to the VR experience imo.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Asgard's Wrath came out in 2019, Asgard's Wrath 2 just came out (but that one is Quest exclusive). It quickly became one of my favorite games.

dottme

I would like to give a try to Asgard wrath 2. It’s a 10/10 game, so even if it loose a little by not using Vr, it should still be quite good.

MarkMe2525

You don't have to be upset. If you are a good boy, maybe Santa will bring you your very own VR next Christmas.

On topic: I played this game recently that is just begging to be ported to flat gaming. I think it's name was Residential Evil or something. Also, there is this neat game wear you pressure wash stuff. I know it sounds silly, but I feel like it might be awesome with a controller as well.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

A few driving? Beamng, Assetto Corsa's, Automobilista's, rFactor, iracing, Dirt Rally, F1 and tons I am probably forgetting.
Space sim/flight not sure what you are saying - but even Space games you have Elite, No man's sky, x wing vs Tie fighter alliance (thru mod), outer wilds (thru mod). Flight sims you have, well flight sim, DCS, Falcon BMS, War Thunder.
Two of your favorite genres are sim genres which are bothe heavily supported and gain a ton from VR. Such a weird take, but then again you have spent thousands on unused hardware.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I honestly can't think of any. None of them would really translate. I think it's easier for a game to start as a flat screen game and move to VR than to start as VR and go the other way.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don't follow VR very closely, but I don't know of anything that would be worth a shot on a TV or monitor. It's just not how they were designed, ya know?

It's kinda telling actually. I can't say for sure because I've never had a VR headset but graphically and gameplay wise, are we lowering our standards for the sake of immersion...even when the immersion is only immersive because we are controlling things more with our body in semi-realistic ways?

Is that why I'm not really into it? Because the bulk of the immersion comes from the apparatus, rather than the design?

I think I just had an epiphany...

Drizzlehell

Banned
IMO this only applies to shooters that don't make any groundbreaking use of VR and motion controls, and are basically just about running around and shooting at stuff. They wouldn't be as fun on a flat screen but the same logic applies to all those classic games that were converted to VR - the only difference is in the perspective but the basic gameplay principles remain the same and you don't get any unique gameplay features like in Alyx. I'd say you could easily convert games like Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond, W40k Battle Sister or Arizona Sunshine to flat screen and lose very little in the translation.

Resenge

I don't follow VR very closely, but I don't know of anything that would be worth a shot on a TV or monitor. It's just not how they were designed, ya know?

It's kinda telling actually. I can't say for sure because I've never had a VR headset but graphically and gameplay wise, are we lowering our standards for the sake of immersion...even when the immersion is only immersive because we are controlling things more with our body in semi-realistic ways?

Is that why I'm not really into it? Because the bulk of the immersion comes from the apparatus, rather than the design?

I think you miss the point, It's not just about motion control, its feeling you are actually there, in the game. It is one of the reaons I love flat screen gamnes ported to VR, playing games I loved back in the day and then imagine being physically teleported into that game and walking around the maps you loved, that's what VR is for me.

For me it is more about being the camera, you are looking around just as you would in real life. the game surrounds you just as real life does. This is why it is so hard to explain what VR really to people who have not tried it.

One of the best VR genres is racing games, aint no motion control in those games.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

For me a lot of the time it's the sense of depth and scale. Driving games with a wheel or flight sims with a stick which are some of the best VR experiences have a slight immersion break as you are looking at a virtual wheel while having a physical one in your hands while in 2D your hands are just physically holding a wheel. But the depth and sense of scale for me makes all the difference. Its like shadows in a 2D game. You remove shadows and your ability to feel the image as a 'real' representation is lessened significantly even in something stylized.
Sort of on topic - I was shocked to discover that Superhot was anything but a VR game, seems like it just wouldn't work in flat.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

A few driving? Beamng, Assetto Corsa's, Automobilista's, rFactor, iracing, Dirt Rally, F1 and tons I am probably forgetting.
Space sim/flight not sure what you are saying - but even Space games you have Elite, No man's sky, x wing vs Tie fighter alliance (thru mod), outer wilds (thru mod). Flight sims you have, well flight sim, DCS, Falcon BMS, War Thunder.
Two of your favorite genres are sim genres which are bothe heavily supported and gain a ton from VR. Such a weird take, but then again you have spent thousands on unused hardware.
Yes, I played most of the above racing games, Elite, NMS, a few other space games, Skyrim and Fallout 4 in VR on CK2 (Oculus retail release).

I don’t have thousands of $ in unused hardware, CK2 was like $300-400 when I got it years ago.

I just don’t see enough for me personally to bother spending a lot of cash on a new VR headset especially when the only reasonable option is Meta and I am not a fan of that company.

StereoVsn

Asgard's Wrath came out in 2019, Asgard's Wrath 2 just came out (but that one is Quest exclusive). It quickly became one of my favorite games.
Yeah, saw those, but they didn’t look like from reviews/previews to be worth buying a Meta headset over.

StereoVsn

Fair enough, more games like that in VR would be great for sure. Maybe checkout Praydogs Unreal Engine Vr injector if you could be bothered to setup your VR gear sometime?

Asgards Wrath 2 sounds just up your street, a 100 hour open world RPG, also Gran Turismo on PSVR2 is one of the best driving experiences I have ever had, you list racing games in your list but I think flat screen racing games just cannot compare to the VR experience imo.
I would love to play GT in VR, just not enough to buy PSVR2 for the purpose. I have played PC racing games in VR on Oculus but that wasn’t enough for me to push toward new headset.

simpatico

The rest of the interesting VR games are only interesting because of the VR. Boneworks and Alyx would be my first purchases if I had a headset.

Paperboy

I'm not sure Astrobot Rescue Mission would be special enough if it weren't in VR, but it is an excellent platformer.
Puzzle games like Angry Birds och Alice Mystery Garden could probably stand on their own without VR. A mystery game like The Invisible Hours would work on flat screens as well.
Haven't played Stride yet, but from the looks of it it's more Mirror's Edge and with guns. Could have some appeal to non-VR players.

Top Bottom