• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Optical Audio on PS5?

TheContact

For those who just wants an stereo or5.1, optical is enough. Dont prentend like everyone will play games and watch movies with ultra high quality surround equipment or things like that.

Options are always better.

My response was to the OP who said "how will gamers get next gen audio now". Optical is not the best medium for "next gen audio". I never said having more options isn't good. It's also a lot more convenient to use hdmi since one cable passes both audio and video. It wouldn't make any sense to use optical unless you had an existing sound setup that only had optical out.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
For those who just wants an stereo or5.1, optical is enough. Dont prentend like everyone will play games and watch movies with ultra high quality surround equipment or things like that.

Options are always better.

If you are playing with any modern tech you have HDMI in which supports the same thing as Optical and more. Even so, an HDMI to optical splitter will solve this issue.

Whitecrow

Banned
If you are playing with any modern tech you have HDMI in which supports the same thing as Optical and more. Even so, an HDMI to optical splitter will solve this issue.
The problem is not that it cannot be solved.

It's that there's something to solve in first place which makes no sense since we had optic out since forever.

It's like if next gen consoles only could output at 4k and you had to buy a downscaler for 1080 TVs.
W.H.Y?

Last edited:

nikolino840

It's that there's something to solve in first place which makes no sense since we had optic out since forever.

It's like if next gen consoles only could output at 4k and you had to buy a downscaler for 1080 TVs.
W.H.Y?
Becouse now tv have optical/arc/whatever

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

W.H.Y?

Optical isn't free and its outdated tech. The same with composite and how it isn't supported on Xbox One, PS4 and Switch out of the box. Old Tech is replaced.

Viscious82

Neo Member
I've tried using arc on my setup with an Xbox one x, Samsung q8fn and nakamochi 9.2.4 soundbar. I get vrr but massive sound delays when using dolby digital vía arc. Dolby atmos doesn't work in this configuration. The only way to get around this is to use the optical out and dolby digital. So not having the option for optical or an hdmi audio out in the next Gen consoles really sucks because hdmi arc or earc can add significant audio delay. I also have a 2018 TV that can do freesync 2 and vrr and I have no plans to upgrade yet, so not having a way to have reliable and synced audio really sucks. The only option is to spend over 100 dollars to get an hdmi arc audio extractor like the device linked below. They should of put an hdmi audio out for both consoles and it would have solved all of the problems. Also if you get the alleged Sony hdmi splitter wouldn't you lose vrr?

Optical's most underrated feature being as it's not electrical is that it can break ground loops easy peasy.

Anyway, for my use case, headphones on a Soundblaster X7 that is mixing my PC and console audio together, losing optical ports on next-gen consoles is going to be a massive pain in the ass. Hopefully decency and sense found their way to Microsoft and Sony at the 11th hour.

And lol, Cerny's beloved HRTF would work fine over optical...

bboris77

Neo Member
I am very disappointed if this is true. For all the audiophiles that rely on Optical out to connect to their DACs and headphone/speaker amplifier this is a fairly significant omission. Jitter is still a very serious problem with HDMI audio even if optical is not ideal there. I guess it is possible that the PS5 will provide uncompressed audio via USB and/or uncompressed LDAC bluetooth audio.

I am still hoping that this is a part of Sony's bluff and they will include the Toslink or at least make their own dongle. I would hate to have to buy a 3rd party HDMI audio extractor that can introduce a host of other compatibility issues and audio/video latency.

jose4gg

That's a shame, I switched from Astro TR mixamp to USB but would still like the option.

Is that true? The prototype had it but...
xbox-series-x-leak-close.jpg
aa9925ec-18a3-4bc1-a119-8d09b43413a1.jpg

It's gone from this.

You right...

RlOydGV.png

Bartski

Gold Member
Fiber optic's transmission is resolution dependent, therefore it cannot transmit high res formats encoded in DOLBY ATMOS or DTS-HD.

An optic fiber can be used as S/PDIF stereo (or DTS compressed) or as "regular" surround ADAT.
ADAT can transmit up to 8 channels of 48k/24bit digital audio, making it ideal for connecting 5.1 or 7.1 systems via a single Toslink wire.
48k/24bit equates to "DVD quality" audio.

A format like Dolby Atmos equates to 128 channels with a shitton of metadata that distributes it among the available number of physical outputs (5.1, 7.1 erc)
and their placement in physical space, while tech like Tempest 3D audio is going to, roughly speaking, encode that spatial info over to a binaural stereo pair stream
of 2 channels going to headphones to "emulate" that space.

What that means is the mojo in it all is downmixing and encoding high-res "3D" Dolby Atmos-like streams into "lesser" output formats (like a pair of earbuds or even stereo speakers) and still make it work.

So far Sony has only discussed headphones and mentioned that regular TVs with left - right stereo will also benefit from it. We are yet to hear how will it translate to present-day 5.1+ surround setups.

For that reason, the fact that SONY is ditching ADAT I/O used for connecting such setups is surprising, but there could be more to it than we know ATM.

Last edited:

sn0man

I wish they had dual HDMI out if they are replacing toslink. Hdmi 2.1 receivers aren’t prevalent and getting VRR means connecting to tv first. That wouldn’t be a problem but ARC and EARC introduce lag sometimes.

maybe won’t be an issue long term once a good hdmi 2.1 receiver comes out but short term it’s annoying.

Anyone recommend a good, lag free, hdmi splitter?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I wish they had dual HDMI out if they are replacing toslink. Hdmi 2.1 receivers aren’t prevalent and getting VRR means connecting to tv first. That wouldn’t be a problem but ARC and EARC introduce lag sometimes.

maybe won’t be an issue long term once a good hdmi 2.1 receiver comes out but short term it’s annoying.

Anyone recommend a good, lag free, hdmi splitter?
HDMI 2.1 receivers should pass-through VRR.

That is from Yamaha manual.

yamahahdmi21_2.jpg

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You get better audio running hdmi to your receiver anyway.

Tulipanzo

This blows, and I hope maybe the regular PS5 has SPDIF but PS5DE does not.
Optical is inexpensive, and a reliable standard for lossless audio, so it's very dumb of Sony to remove the option if true

bboris77

Neo Member
I just looked at the original source of information and I am very surprised that this "announcement" is not coming directly from Sony. They are notoriously secretive about this kind of stuff, so it is kind of shocking that one of their third-party partners would break their NDA and release this info.

It is a big deal, because this could have been an important advantage that the PS5 could have had over the XBOX X. While not super-important to your mainstream gamer, Optical audio out is very important to the audiophile community who have their stand-alone DACs and amplifiers set up to take advantage of this. I know, it is hard to believe, but most audio enthusiasts think of any Dolby/5.1/3D audio as pure gimmicks and appreciate the pristine fidelity of the 2-channel uncompressed audio.

Sony traditionally positioned their Playstation machines as media devices with multiple ways to connect to audio equipment, so I would not be surprised if this is simply a guess on the part of Astro since they actually do not know whether the PS5 will have this port or not.

NickFire

This is awful for me. I have a 20 year old receiver that still works fine for 5.1, and predates hdmi. I hope there is some way to hook it up with optical because I have no need for a new receiver and no plans to buy one.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Well, my turtle Beach 800s will be useless without optical on ps5. I guess I'll just have to get something else... Which only kinda bothers me cause there are lots of issues with mine.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It gets a little more complicated for people who want to bring their PS4-ready Astro wireless headset to the PS5. Sony’s next-gen console doesn’t have an optical audio port either. However, you won’t have to go buy a brand-new headset. Instead, Astro is releasing an HDMI-to-optical audio splitter that will allow your headset to interface with the PS5 with no additional firmware needed. It supports HDMI 2.1, HDCP, and 4K passthrough. Astro says it won’t introduce any input lag, and because it’s Dolby-compliant product, the sound shouldn’t be worse off, either.

This splitter will be released in October for $40, which isn’t a terrible price for a splitter that guarantees lossless quality with your next-gen console. But what’s better is that, if you already own an Astro headset, you can enter your serial number on its site to save $15 off the cost of the splitter, bringing the total down to $25.
Months back when MS showed the back of SeX, people noticed no optical hook up. Looks like it's a wash Sony gamers as PS5 doesn't have one either.

Huge oversight when you are focusing so much on audio. Tempest engine will not be exploitable, neither their surround algorithms.

Via HDMI, like it should be

You cannot isolate clean signal when using hdmi. It will be processed by your tv reducing quality dramatically.

I use Sennheiser HD700 hps ($999 at launch). You can hear degrade quiet clearly.

Out of most speaker system you won't notice much though.

Do people actually buy "gaming" headsets? Those are the worst looking and worst sounding things in existence. The only acceptable "gaming" ones are from Sennheiser, Audeze, Beyerdynamic, etc. I'll take my LCD's with XLR over the best gaming headphones ever made. Have some respect for your ears y'all.

Mossybrew

This is awful for me. I have a 20 year old receiver that still works fine for 5.1, and predates hdmi. I hope there is some way to hook it up with optical because I have no need for a new receiver and no plans to buy one.

Hmmm, yeah I'm in a similar boat, older receiver that has HDMI but not 4k passthrough, so I've just been connecting directly to the TV and using optical to the reciever. Maybe look into this splitter thing, maybe just time to buy a new receiver.

Make damn sure you get a system capable of EARC if your shopping around for TV's. Don't settle for ARC like I did.
Getting surround out of a PC though ARC is an exercise in frustration. I had to fall back to the old Optical out of my PC for surround, so I'm stuck with 5.1.
I'm waiting patiently for a receiver that is hdmi 2.1 Not many if any on the market right now.
If I had an EARC TV then I could have simply used an existing receiver for surround audio.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Make damn sure you get a system capable of EARC if your shopping around for TV's. Don't settle for ARC like I did.
Getting surround out of a PC though ARC is an exercise in frustration. I had to fall back to the old Optical out of my PC for surround, so I'm stuck with 5.1.
I'm waiting patiently for a receiver that is hdmi 2.1 Not many if any on the market right now.
If I had an EARC TV then I could have simply used an existing receiver for surround audio.

Just go PC/console -> receiver -> TV? Why do you need (e)ARC for this? That's for signals that originate in the TV (like built in streaming apps etc).

Also, regular ARC does 5.1 surround, just not with HD codecs (the best you can get is Dolby Digital Plus I believe).

Last edited:

sn0man

If the EARC is like on the LG OLEDs; it works to varying degrees. There are some handshake issues and certain formats were dropped from the CX.

either Dolby or DTS of some sort isn’t supported over arc/EARC in many new TVs. License fees and all that.

DonF

Looks like I'm finally retiring my turtle beach dss2 dac. The thing sounds WAY better than the pulse elite, golds and hyperx cloud II.
it's by far the best positional audio I've used. A buddy has the astro amp with some high end audio technicas and it's awesome too.
I guess I can still use arc and get optical from my tv, with no lag, right?

How will audiophiles get their next hen audio now?
HDMI to your TV than audio link (or HDMI output) to your receiver/amp, it will work just as well and it will avoid you having to manually manage sound input on your receiver/amp (which may just save your marriage at the same time).

Soodanim

Gold Member
I don't see what the big deal is. I have a pair of cheap-ish speakers (in the grand scheme of things) and they have optical, and my TV's sound outputs to that regardless of input source. So you can still have optical sound that way, no problem. But in the future there's no way I'm not going down the obviously superior path of HDMI 2.1 and eARC, it just makes too much sense. I'm not particularly surprised to see optical dropped from the system itself, as it was going to happen eventually and if it's a less utilised port then it's a cost they will happily save.

Just go PC/console -> receiver -> TV? Why do you need (e)ARC for this? That's for signals that originate in the TV (like built in streaming apps etc).

Also, regular ARC does 5.1 surround, just not with HD codecs (the best you can get is Dolby Digital Plus I believe).

My Reciever can't pass the full 4k 60 to the TV. I would need a new Reciever to get all the nifty features like HDR, 4K60, VRR, Auto low latency.
ARC will only pass stereo PCM down through the ARC. OR it can pass Dolby 5.1 down through the ARC.
PC (or rather Nvidia) is limited to PCM out though the HDMI port. So I'm stuck with stereo only PCM with PC and ARC.
EARC however will pass PCM multi channel 5.1 and even higher (I think) though HDMI. That would be the best way to do it however my TV is stuck with the ARC.

My PC works fine currently HDMI plugged directly into my TV and then optical plugged into the Receiver for surround sound.
It's just not the most elegant way to do it.

Top Bottom