• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No new games in 2019, unfinished backlog only

What's striking is that out of the 475 Steam games and 150 GOG games I have, there's actually a surprisingly small number I can be arsed with. Some are old editions of Football Manager of course, and stupidly I bought 2019 but have concluded, as I did with 2017, that it's no longer for me (why did I buy it?). Some of it is shit that came from bundles. Some of it though is shit that I bought, I geniunely bought, thinking it might be fun. And now I find myself wholly uninterested. It's a poor state of affairs.

Im a bit in the same situation honestly. I do still need to beat a few AAA games that has Been on hold for sometime. Due to frustration in those areas. But i also keep playing early access games like amid evil that Updates its new levels every 3 months so its kind of hard to tick it as completed :) not complaining i most likely play that game a lot in the future on many different difficulties.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
https://www.backloggery.com/hariseldon - There it is, my backlog of shame. 625 games reduced to 100 on the PC that I can actually be arsed with, plus 31 retro games.

I've just uninstalled a huge number of games from my gaming laptop so I can properly focus on a small subset of games at a time as half the problem is the paralysis of choice. I've got my perrenials left on forever (Spelunky, VVVVVV, Super Meat Boy, Speedball 2 HD, Stronghold HD, Sonic and Sega All Stars Transformed - my gotos when I only have a few minutes to spare) but outside of that I only have the following installed:
- Nier Automata
- Parkitect
- Technobabylon
- Yakuza 0
- Hitman Blood Money
- Kotor 1
- System Shock 2
- Populous The Beginning
- F117A Stealth Fighter 2.0

Only really Nier and Yakuza half covering similar territory to prevent overlap, as both are games I really want to get to grips with and once I'm done with KOTOR I'll likely start powering through those again.

Last edited by a moderator:

mekes

I’ll be a false participant. I’ve already bought 2 games this year (Ace Combat and RE2) but I’ve also played through 4 from my backlog, which is huge for me. I’ve had good fun playing through Call of Cthulhu, Vampyr, Tales of Berseria and Dragons Crown Pro so far this year.

I buy games as and when I think I’ll like them, but they just add to the pile and go untouched. And the pile of games I have make it difficult to commit to a choice, so I have a tendency to play games that I can enjoy in short bursts. So I end up playing bursts on games like Pac Man CE2, Tetris Effect, Resogun, Lumines, DriveClub, Street Fighter 5 etc.

The fact that I played through the 4 games listed above, one after the other is already quite the achievement for me, so I’ll pop in here from time to time (y)

badblue

DOOM 2016 is finished. I decided to just binge my way through it. "Rip and tear, until it's done" after all.

Next up in that slot for my "3 games at a time" rule is going to be a pallet cleanser of sorts. The delightfully non violent Grow Home

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Currently majoring with Kotor and Technobabylon. My first serious play of Kotor and I fucking love it. Just collected Bastila and I'm in the Sith base. Technobabylon I played before and can't remember why I stopped, but it was probably a new game! I'm loving it, it's got an excellent story, logical puzzles, the whole trance thing opens up fun possibilities, and the pixel art is fabulous.

Looks like I'm doing this thing then.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
This weekend I finished Toy Story 2. Bad controls and camera issues, but good level design. Strange bug at the end: I got 50/50 Pizza Tokens, but after beating the final boss, the total suddenly jumped to 78. Well, I have a clear conscious about my Pizza Tokens, so I'll leave it at that. Currently I am playing American McGee's Alice and man, is that a shitshow. In particular the controls, which are absolutely fucked up, but the physics and level design are pretty atrocious as well. I do not understand how this could ever get a sequel. I hope said sequel is at least OK, because that is going to be next in line for home consoles.

@hariseldon Your Steam backlog is larger than my games collection.

Best one so far: Poi Explorer Edition
Worst one so far: Ratchet & Clank Size Matters

Finished:
Ratchet & Clank 2
Ratchet & Clank 3
Ratchet & Clank Size Matters
Pac-Man World
Spyro Enter the Dragonfly
Tak Guardians of Gross
Pac-Man World 2
Poi Explorer Edition
Jersey Devil
Sly Cooper (4) Thieves in Time
Toy Story 2

Currently playing:
American McGee's Alice
Axiom Verge
Sly Raccoon

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Yoshi Yoshi yeah it's a list of shame tbh - too much to clear, bear in mind that's still only a fairly small chunk of the actual games I own. I have a problem. Doing this will hopefully do something to alleviate that problem.

Still working through Kotor 1 - reckon there's a good chance I'll follow it with Kotor 2. Also making decent progress in Technobabylon. Was planning to run System Shock 2 alongside but that's not really happening, these two are eating time. Kotor is bloody brilliant. Some definite bits of copy-paste-from-random-RPG (the crystal caves could be lifted straight from Skyrim and yes I know, timelines) but I'm enjoying it so much. I now have a light-sabre (minor upgrades) and I'm currently cleaning up Dantooine, getting rid of all the critters (it's a chore but it's got me levelled up now to a point where they're no longer a problem) and I'm now investigating the Star Forge.

Yoshi

@Yoshi yeah it's a list of shame tbh - too much to clear, bear in mind that's still only a fairly small chunk of the actual games I own. I have a problem. Doing this will hopefully do something to alleviate that problem.
Of course I meant your overall number. I have been playing for more than 20 years, so my collection certainly exceeds the 130 games you have on your list. But 625 is huge. Though it is not necessarily a list of shame, if you found so many games that are fitting for your taste and got them at a good price, that's pretty good. I'd probably struggle to find 625 games I actually wanted to have.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Of course I meant your overall number. I have been playing for more than 20 years, so my collection certainly exceeds the 130 games you have on your list. But 625 is huge. Though it is not necessarily a list of shame, if you found so many games that are fitting for your taste and got them at a good price, that's pretty good. I'd probably struggle to find 625 games I actually wanted to have.

Tbh within that there's a fair amount of shit that came in humble bundles, games I thought I'd like but turned out shit, old racing sims, old versions of football manager, a few games that split into 2 games (eg Bioshock), some episodic games that insist on one game per episode, shit that RPS recommended that looked cool but turned out to be horribly flawed (I got bitten a few times there), some games I don't even know what they are or how I got them, a hell of a lot of impulse purchases. I very rarely pay > £10 for a game and tbh I think that's led to buying some questionable stuff.

Yoshi

Tbh within that there's a fair amount of shit that came in humble bundles, games I thought I'd like but turned out shit, old racing sims, old versions of football manager, a few games that split into 2 games (eg Bioshock), some episodic games that insist on one game per episode, shit that RPS recommended that looked cool but turned out to be horribly flawed (I got bitten a few times there), some games I don't even know what they are or how I got them, a hell of a lot of impulse purchases. I very rarely pay > £10 for a game and tbh I think that's led to buying some questionable stuff.
Well, humble bundles, as I understand them, are not individual purchases, so if there are some games in there you just got "by accident", because they happened to be in an otherwise interesting bundle, you could just as well consider them "not in your collection" :). But yeah, I often hear from people who use PCs to play games that Steam sales and bundles are "dangerous" in terms of "overspending" by buying a ton of games for a couple of cents, but never touching them.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Well, humble bundles, as I understand them, are not individual purchases, so if there are some games in there you just got "by accident", because they happened to be in an otherwise interesting bundle, you could just as well consider them "not in your collection" :). But yeah, I often hear from people who use PCs to play games that Steam sales and bundles are "dangerous" in terms of "overspending" by buying a ton of games for a couple of cents, but never touching them.

I have an obscene amount of stuff that's had less than 30 minutes of playtime. It's quite disgusting really.

Frizzie

Banned
Currently playing:
American McGee's Alice

Axiom Verge
Sly Raccoon

I absolutely loved that game. Far from perfect but it had a lot of charm (in a creepy messed up way). I also played it on hard setting..... Mistake! Madness Returns was even better but again not perfect.

I'm up for this. If I can reduce my PS3/4 backlog by half this year I will be very happy. I'm not going to include my PSP backlog though.

The key to this will be to stay out of the PS Store sales.

Yoshi

I absolutely loved that game. Far from perfect but it had a lot of charm (in a creepy messed up way). I also played it on hard setting..... Mistake! Madness Returns was even better but again not perfect.
Yes, the atmosphere / charme is fine, but the objective design is thoughtless, the platforming is atrocious and those controls.... I mean, it's from 2000, there has been ample examples of how to do 3d platformer controls...

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Glad to see that several of you are sticking with the challenge. Yoshi Yoshi is making excellent progress toward that "clean backlog" award. Happy that you are taking the plunge, too, @hariseldon

Made major progress in two backlog games: Breath of the Wild and MH Stories. I was stuck/bored with the flying Divine Beast, Medoh, for many months but it was time to get through that puzzle-dungeon. Now that it's finished, I can freely explore the world again. I acquired my first flying Monstie about an hour ago. It's awesome to fly around the map.

zenspider

T
It'd be too big of a backlog to post (since it also includes games I've beaten, if I happen to want to replay them).

I need to fill out one of those online database sites that tracks all your games. I'm currently using a spreadsheet.

The app I use is called 'My Game Collection'. It's pretty robust and can pull your games directly from Steam, PSN, and other accounts. You can tag, organize, and sort the way you want, and they pull data from 'howlongtobeat' which can be really helpful tackling backlogs.

EDIT: still popping in to see you fail. Let my doubt be your fuel!

Last edited:

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
But isn't this challenge that you are beginning 2019 a game too?

Last edited:

Yoshi

Glad to see that several of you are sticking with the challenge. Yoshi Yoshi is making excellent progress toward that "clean backlog" award. Happy that you are taking the plunge, too, @hariseldon

Made major progress in two backlog games: Breath of the Wild and MH Stories. I was stuck/bored with the flying Divine Beast, Medoh, for many months but it was time to get through that puzzle-dungeon. Now that it's finished, I can freely explore the world again. I acquired my first flying Monstie about an hour ago. It's awesome to fly around the map.
Incidentally, the flying divine beast was my favourite moment in Zelda BotW, as a puzzle-Zelda fan ^^.

BigBooper

I've started Sudden Strike 4 and really love it. I have no idea when or why I bought it, not having played the previous games.

I've been playing Duke Nukem from Gog and I'm at the end of chapter 2 with conveyor belts everywhere. I might skip the rest of this chapter and load up chapter 3 because this level is grinding my gears. I liked chapter 1 a lot.

I started a few games, mostly from bundles, to see if I wanted to play them. Space Engineers seems high quality but not interesting to me.

Red Orchestra 2 I played some back years ago. Now, the only populated servers are European or Russian, so the lag is bad.

Sniper Elite Nazi Zombie Army. Another one I tried several years back. The switching back and forth from third to first person is simply awful.

Arms 3. I played a ton of Arms 2 single player. The multiplayer stuff always impressed me, but I didn't feel like investing so much time into it. Arms 3 almost immediately turned me off of it's single player. Constant load screens, and pointless playable sections have burned me out after about two hours.

Picture this, you load a level and are riding in a truck as the AI takes you to a base. A load occurs, black screen and you're now outside of the truck at the base. Now you can play, so you walk 100 feet over to the commanding officer to report in, another load, black screen. Now you have to listen to the spiel of the CO while you can't move. Another load, another black screen, now you can move again. No thank you.

Last edited:

elCT

Neo Member
Good thread. I started a similar challenge, there's a sub called /r/12in12, where people challenge themselves to beat 12 games in 12 months. I also entered and even created a collection to track my progress. I nearly finished Oxenfree so I am following the schedule right now.

I am also scared with my backlog so I am not going to buy new games this year. The only thing I want is Ori and the Will of the Wisps, which is going to be the day on purchase from me. Other than that if I have time I'll buy some PS4 exlusives which I didn't have time to finish earlier but for now my plan is o beat/try as many games from my backlog as possible.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
For me I think this is proving to be a good way to go back to my gaming roots in some ways. When I was younger I bought a game and I'd play the living shit out of it because I couldn't afford to buy every interesting game out there. It's also taking me back to a lot of older games I never really gave a proper chance because the next shiny thing came along, and that's nice too. I'm half wondering if I should set up a backloggery account for my books too as I have a stack of those I need to get through, good recommendations I keep getting and never quite clearing the ever-expanding list.

For me I think this is proving to be a good way to go back to my gaming roots in some ways. When I was younger I bought a game and I'd play the living shit out of it because I couldn't afford to buy every interesting game out there. It's also taking me back to a lot of older games I never really gave a proper chance because the next shiny thing came along, and that's nice too. I'm half wondering if I should set up a backloggery account for my books too as I have a stack of those I need to get through, good recommendations I keep getting and never quite clearing the ever-expanding list.

Yes there's a LOT of good games that have come out over the last few decades. More than I can keep up with.

I haven't updated on this thread in a while - been busy in real life but I did manage to get through Virginia (not hard - it's just a walker that takes maybe 3 hours tops). I have a few other games like that such as Firewatch that I plan on starting - and then playing through - soon.

I've been going back to PS1 era games that I never ended up completing (because I never had a PS1). Final Fantasy Tactics War of the Lions (PSP remake) is what I've been into on my PS VIta lately. I had made it maybe halfway years ago but dropped it for some reason. I still have that old save but completely forgot what I was doing at the time and didn't want to just read backstory to get to where I was - I decided it was worth just completely restarting.

There are other games I need to get back to such as PS4 Spiderman. Was waiting for the holiday vacations and travel to completely end and to get completely settled back into work before restarting my typical Friday night video game sessions again.

Kadayi

Banned
I haven't updated on this thread in a while - been busy in real life but I did manage to get through Virginia (not hard - it's just a walker that takes maybe 3 hours tops)..

Yeah, I played a bit of that but dropped off it. I intend to return. Seemed a bit style over substance truth be told.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I have Virginia and should probably give it a go some time, as a palette cleanser. Firewatch is wonderful btw, such a lovely art style but also excellent voice acting and writing.

KingD82

Neo Member
I want to do this, because my backlog is huge, but I'd fail real fast because Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Pokemon, Yoshis Crafted World, FF VII remake and others.

Yoshi

Some of the later levels in Alice had some potentially nice ideas (in particular, the clockwork level with some good platforming concepts), but due to the terrible controls were still just horrible to play. The enemy spam and the god-awful second-to-last boss further strained my nerves. Well, on to Alice Madness Returns, which so far (still in the first chapter) is much better than the first game, but combat is already getting on my nerves and the levels are long. Not in a good way, because they just reiterate their earlier ideas too often.

Worst one so far: American McGee's Alice

Finished:
Ratchet & Clank 2
Ratchet & Clank 3
Pac-Man World
Tak Guardians of Gross
Pac-Man World 2
Poi Explorer Edition
Jersey Devil
Toy Story 2
American McGee's Alice

Currently playing:
Alice: Madness Returns
Axiom Verge
Sly Raccoon

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
So Assassin's Creed Syndicate was somewhat in my backlog; I played it for around 20 hours off and on but always intended to finish the story. But I got so frustrated with it recently I deleted it and gave up. It's off the list permanently. Just too much repetition and jank to spend precious gaming time on in 2019.

I have an old copy PS3 copy of GTA V that somebody gave me when they moved. Never played it; going to try it since my Gamepass sub is about to lapse. Is the PS3 version significantly limited technically? I'm generally not bothered by anything other than variable frame rates.

Last edited:

Guileless

I need an intervention Backlog Gaf. About to buy the Destiny 2 collectors edition for $48. I already have the trial on Xbox that I played some but never exhausted and access to vanilla D2 via PS Plus.

welp - not purposefully, but so far for 2019 i havent bought a game and I finally just completed cosmic star heroine.

I would say.....dont play it

I want to do this, because my backlog is huge, but I'd fail real fast because Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Pokemon, Yoshis Crafted World, FF VII remake and others.

you should try and see what it feels like to not buy those games within the first 1-3 months of release.

Last edited:

Yoshi

I need an intervention Backlog Gaf. About to buy the Destiny 2 collectors edition for $48. I already have the trial on Xbox that I played some but never exhausted and access to vanilla D2 via PS Plus.
Think about the money! 48$ and you need to uphold a subscription to play it, whereas all the games you already have a free to play! Moreover, you will get more variety out of the games you already have when compared to a large MMO timesink.

Guileless

Think about the money! 48$ and you need to uphold a subscription to play it, whereas all the games you already have a free to play! Moreover, you will get more variety out of the games you already have when compared to a large MMO timesink.

these are all well-argued, rational points.

And yet....The collector's edition comes with a space blanket.

Yeah, I played a bit of that but dropped off it. I intend to return. Seemed a bit style over substance truth be told.

Yes, it was kind of a weird little game. Doesn't take long to play though and it had some interesting things about it. There just wasn't any real "game" to it. Nothing to decide. More like an interactive, but strange, movie more than anything else. I had gotten it for like $3 a year or so ago and I felt it was worth at least that. I think it was trying to be smarter than it really was, which is a shame because I felt they could have done more with the story than they did. It felt somewhat unfinished, like there could have been more they could have explored.

BigBooper

So Assassin's Creed Syndicate was somewhat in my backlog; I played it for around 20 hours off and on but always intended to finish the story. But I got so frustrated with it recently I deleted it and gave up. It's off the list permanently. Just too much repetition and jank to spend precious gaming time on in 2019.

I have an old copy PS3 copy of GTA V that somebody gave me when they moved. Never played it; going to try it since my Gamepass sub is about to lapse. Is the PS3 version significantly limited technically? I'm generally not bothered by anything other than variable frame rates.
I haven't started Syndicate yet, though I've owned it for years. I'm afraid I'll probably feel the same.

If framerate problems are a sore point for you, might as well not even start ps3 GTA5.

Kadayi

Banned
Yes, it was kind of a weird little game. Doesn't take long to play though and it had some interesting things about it. There just wasn't any real "game" to it. Nothing to decide. More like an interactive, but strange, movie more than anything else. I had gotten it for like $3 a year or so ago and I felt it was worth at least that. I think it was trying to be smarter than it really was, which is a shame because I felt they could have done more with the story than they did. It felt somewhat unfinished, like there could have been more they could have explored.

Yeah I think the Art Style sold me on it (I dig that particular look), but it did feel like it was pretty much a case of going through the motions with very little in between. I might well give it another shot as it's quite short. Another notch on the 52-week challenge.

Guileless

i think the impulse buy fever has passed. I went so far as to reserve a copy at Gamestop, but I'm just going to play my copy of The Division for now and forego the space blanket.

If framerate problems are a sore point for you, might as well not even start ps3 GTA5.

Bummer. I figured.

Guileless

Folks, we've made it to Jan. 31. Almost a full month without buying a new game. Give yourself a pat on the back.

I also participated in Dry January, where you don't drink alcohol for the whole month of January as a way to cleanse yourself after holiday excess. We need to come up with a name for the videogame equivalent. I can't think of anything other than "No-Buy January."

Unfortunately I already see clouds gathering on the horizon in the form of DOA6, which is out on March 1.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Guileless Guileless - yep, we survived. I did dry January as well but that's more because I don't really drink, rather than any conscious detox effort. That said, I am trying to lose a bit of weight as I've hit 13 fucking stone. Not happy with that at all, I want to get back to about 11.5-ish. So, 5-2 diet, weights and rowing to get back in shape (I used the same regime to get fit for my wedding - it worked a treat).

Guileless

Guileless Guileless - yep, we survived. I did dry January as well but that's more because I don't really drink, rather than any conscious detox effort. That said, I am trying to lose a bit of weight as I've hit 13 fucking stone. Not happy with that at all, I want to get back to about 11.5-ish. So, 5-2 diet, weights and rowing to get back in shape (I used the same regime to get fit for my wedding - it worked a treat).

Good luck with the weight loss. I have found that taking a holistic approach to consumption works for me - making a conscious effort not to spend money on games you don't plan to play right away, don't stop at the pub to drink a pint or two just because you've got an hour to kill, make a healthy lunch instead of just defaulting to fast food. So if you're trying to make changes in your budget vis-a-vis games, also consider expanding that to other areas.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Good luck with the weight loss. I have found that taking a holistic approach to consumption works for me - making a conscious effort not to spend money on games you don't plan to play right away, don't stop at the pub to drink a pint or two just because you've got an hour to kill, make a healthy lunch instead of just defaulting to fast food. So if you're trying to make changes in your budget vis-a-vis games, also consider expanding that to other areas.

Already got that covered - I drink about 3 times a year, I bring my own lunch to work, etc. I bought a house so I'm poor, so this shit is a basic requirement! Unfortunately buying a house also meant a longer commute which has taken away free time for exercise etc :(

Will be hard, just got SE of KH3 in yesterday. They want to want while ppl finish college and get married to finish the dang game.....

Guileless

Gave another try to Life Is Strange last night. Just randomly started it up after seeing it still on the hard drive of my secondary PS4. Played it a couple of hours last summer but it didn't really click with me. Live

I enjoyed it and will now keep playing. It's the kind of game you have to be in the right mindset to play.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I've been playing some Wii stuff. It's a nice break away from hard-as-nails Daioujou. I can't really say whether I intend to "beat" some of these games.

Wii Sports Resort, specifically, the Airplane minigame that turned into Pilot Wings 3DS, Canoeing, and Frisbee. The only thing I dislike about the game is the aesthetics. I wish it was flashier, because the core gameplay is very "arcade" in its presentation, challenges, and mechanics.

Canoeing, for instance, is simple but deep. Instead of stock animations, you have (kinda) 1:1 control over the paddle. This lets you row in a fairly realistic way, but the game also respects the physics of putting your paddle down into the water (you begin to sharply pivot around that point). Wii games get the rep for being "waggle", and in many cases that's true. I do love the titles which show off the nuance of what the hardware can do.

Also played some rounds of Ghost Squad. Excellent faux-lightgun game, probably one of the most varied and action-packed ones I've ever played. Ahh, and to think one of my first games was Duck Hunt. I'd like to sink some more time into it, learning the stages, unlocking more weapons, and maybe 1-credit-clearing the Arcade Mode.

Sonic Colors is the last Wii game I've been messing with. It's okay. I think the way it transitions between 2D and 3D is okay, as long as you are fine with a Sonic game that's mostly focused on spectacle. Unlike many of the other 3D Sonic games, this one seems to keep you "on the rails" far better than the other games. The levels feel narrower and smaller. However, the tradeoff is you don't usually encounter the typical Sonic shit camera, bad clipping, broken physics, and so forth. It's a fairly competent game.

Still chipping away at Monster Hunter Stories. The more I play it, the more I like it. Even though I'm a big MH nerd, I've played enough of the game where I'd even recommend it to any regular ol' JRPG fan. It stands on its own, even if you're not a fan or are unfamiliar with MH. The story quests can be pretty challenging, which comes as a surprise. This is a kids game (more or less) but it has some teeth to it. I got my butt kicked several times against a Quest Black Diablos and against the mad scientist's boss in the volcano. This sort of challenge is much appreciated.

I'm also impressed with the number of "capturable" monsties. There are even some subspecies which is unexpected: I have a Brute Tigrex and a Black Diablos. You get your first flying monstie within the first 10 hours, so it doesn't hide all the cool stuff until the end of the game. Instead, it has a pretty fleshed out network of side quests, randomized dungeons, and monster-raising. EXP is shared with the whole team and the EXP scaling is very aggressive, so it's easy to get your newly-hatched Lvl 1 monster up in not much time at all.

Oh, one more Wii game; Sin & Punishment. This is possibly the most frenetic "arcade shooter" I've played in my life. I haven't messed with this game in at least 5 years, but it's even crazier than I remember. I recall the story of how Nintendo told Treasure it was "too easy" when the Wiimote controls were implemented. This game pushes your reflexes to the limit. Tons of stuff on screen, you need to constantly dodge and counter-hit missiles, crazy bosses... it surpasses any other lightgun/rail shooter, in terms of pure spectacle and skill ceiling. I love it. But it's Treasure. It's no surprise whatsoever that S&P is exceptional.

I'm using the blonde boy, but I wonder if the girl character plays differently. I'll pick her next to see if she has better melee or something.

Edit: added in Sin & Punishment.

Last edited:

Yoshi

I have finally finished Alice Madness Returns. It was fun, but the levels dragged on so much, recycling ideas like crazy and spamming terrible fight waves way too often. It's not a terrible game like its predecessor, but you could significantly improve it by cutting at least a third of the content...

Worst one so far: American McGee's Alice

Finished:
Ratchet & Clank 2
Ratchet & Clank 3
Pac-Man World
Tak Guardians of Gross
Pac-Man World 2
Poi Explorer Edition
Jersey Devil
Toy Story 2
American McGee's Alice
Alice: Madness Returns

Currently playing:
Spyro: A Hero's Tail
Axiom Verge
Sly Raccoon

DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi : Great games you have there :).

Last edited:

Yoshi

Yoshi Yoshi Nice progress. I'm curious: are you a fan of the old Metroid games? And what are your thoughts on Axiom Verge, in comparison?
I am a fan of the old Metroid games, though mainly starting from Super Metroid, because the first games have some serious issues in my view. Axiom Verge so far is pretty great. Basically a Super Metroid clone with a slight Metroid 1 touch in terms of presentation, and some really well-planned level design. Not quite on the level of Super Metroid in terms of level design, but also not too far off. It does seem to come without the more cumbersome control issues of Super Metroid though, so there also are improvements. If you like 2D Metroid, I would (so far, about 30% through in terms of map) certainly recommend the game.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I am a fan of the old Metroid games, though mainly starting from Super Metroid, because the first games have some serious issues in my view. Axiom Verge so far is pretty great. Basically a Super Metroid clone with a slight Metroid 1 touch in terms of presentation, and some really well-planned level design. Not quite on the level of Super Metroid in terms of level design, but also not too far off. It does seem to come without the more cumbersome control issues of Super Metroid though, so there also are improvements. If you like 2D Metroid, I would (so far, about 30% through in terms of map) certainly recommend the game.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I've played it and I also enjoyed it. I never 100% completed it but I played through the story. You're definitely right about the control scheme being better.

Ozrimandias

Progress report for Dark Souls 1. It has finally clicked. Instead of being a big confusing mess of WTF, I'm starting to get a handle on the mechanics, leveling and dodging (Just like Piccolo wanted). It's only taken 7 hours to get to this point.

I've just killed the Hydra, and my next boss is the Capra Demon.

Same happened to me and bloodborne....im a Dark souls Veteran, but Bloodborne was such a mess to me, now im getting it.

Top Bottom