• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Tech Limitations Won’t Allow It To Run Call Of Duty, Believes The CMA

Banjo64

cumsessed
Can’t be too sure about that. Apple’s M1 GPU is faster than the PS4 GPU, and it’s a reasonable assumption to expect that an Ampere based NVIDiA GPU with DLSS and RT support will similarly race past the PS4. Not to mention a much faster CPU.

expect DLSS to do heavy lifting for the console.
Really good points and looking it up myself the Ampere based chip the Switch 2 will use seems to be able to output around 4tf - even if Nintendo downclock this for battery/heat purposes it should still be very powerful/performant with the DLSS as you say. It’ll probably (more than likely?) outstrip the Xbox One X. So yeah, a very good console.

I still think it’s not viable just based on the fact that it’ll probably take 2-3 years post acquisition for them to get their first game out on a Nintendo platform and by that point the next generation Sony/MS platforms will be looming large as the PS5/Series would be 6 years old.

NeonDelta

Microsoft-Nintendo-1024x564.jpg

"with full feature and content parity - so they can experience COD just as Xbox and Playstation gamers enjoy COD"
Meaning it will have the same content and features. Cod with lower scaled graphics can still have same content and features.

Cyborg

You will need one memory card for just CoD on (next)Switch :) or it will be cloud-based bullshit. MS is choosing their words carefully so they can bend it however they want when the deal is done.

Ozriel

M$FT
You keep ”forgetting” that Nintendo is not in the business of making a HW catered to the AAA market. I mean the Switch is having a hard time keeping up with Nintendo games…

And you keep ‘forgetting’ that the Switch launched in 2017. At that time, there was barely anything in the market more powerful for ARM gaming than the Tegra chips they went with.

Most strident rumors have the next gen console with an ampere based GPU with DLSS and RT

Basically this.

One thing is for sure is that the CMA def knows that the timing of this deal is kinda sus. We all know why this deal came about and people really think that the CMA won’t see through MS sneaky attempt here.

There is a reason why a money hungry AKB has not made COD available on Nintendo systems for a long time and people seems to be pissed that the CMA saw through it.

…Because the Switch was power challenged and would have run into serious storage constraints.
This deal does NOT mention the Switch. And Microsoft would be clarifying this in person to the CMA.

Games are getting bigger and more demanding so a gimped, watered down COD for the next Nintendo console is not something people are screaming for.

Yes the next Nintendo console will not be as powefull as you think it will even for todays COD/warzone.

The point of this deal is that the games won’t be ‘gimped or watered down’.
And today’s COD games run on PS4 and Xbox One. They’ll run on the next gen Nintendo console which should be more powerful, all round.

Flutta

Banned
Ah so we're back to "just scale it down, reduce the resolution, framerate, graphics etc". Like it's that simple.

Meanwhile Larian are struggling to get split screen working in a satisfactory manner on Xbox consoles and because of that people are calling for them to remove the feature entirely.

You guys are funny. Phil should educate his disciples, not the regulators. But then, if he did that he'd quickly be out of a job.

Can’t wait for the Switch 2 vs Series S threads 🤣🤣

dead family guy GIF

paulyboy81

Neo Member
Picking apart a 10 year agreement by focusing solely on the technical shortcomings of a system that's likely to be superceded next year (maybe even this year) reeks of being deliberately bloody obtuse for the most part.

I don't disagree that even new Nintendo systems are likely to face challenges running COD, but the complete lack of foresight with regards to the future of Nintendo's hardware in the CMA's statements here boggles the mind

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
They said feature parity and same version, not a cloud version.

I don't see why "same version" and "feature parity" can't be done via the cloud.

While nobody here would argue that the cloud is desirable versus something running locally, it'll be the same game.

I gather the Resident Evil 7 - cloud version, was appended in that way to indicate consumers would need to pay to hire a server to play.

With Microsoft's azure network, they can provide that service at a negligible cost and presumably for an indefinite amount of time. So, in that sense I assume they wouldn't need to add "cloud version" to a Nintendo version of COD.

Ozriel

M$FT
Really good points and looking it up myself the Ampere based chip the Switch 2 will use seems to be able to output around 4tf - even if Nintendo downclock this for battery/heat purposes it should still be very powerful/performant with the DLSS as you say. It’ll probably (more than likely?) outstrip the Xbox One X. So yeah, a very good console.

I still think it’s not viable just based on the fact that it’ll probably take 2-3 years post acquisition for them to get their first game out on a Nintendo platform and by that point the next generation Sony/MS platforms will be looming large as the PS5/Series would be 6 years old.

Ah. I won’t go as far as PS4 Pro or Xbox One X 😀
It’s Nintendo. And if they want to maintain similar form factor and battery life, they’ll probably want to downclock (as you rightly note).

It’ll shine with the CPU. ARM CPUs are doing quite well these days, and should definitely crush the old Jaguar chips.

You’re certainly right with the timing of their first game. Probably 2025 at the earliest. Might be a cloud solution for the first few years until a native version comes around.

Another major challenge will be with storage, but 256GB sd cards are $25 these days…

Picking apart a 10 year agreement by focusing solely on the technical shortcomings of a system that's likely to be superceded next year (maybe even this year) reeks of being deliberately bloody obtuse for the most part.

I don't disagree that even new Nintendo systems are likely to face challenges running COD, but the complete lack of foresight with regards to the future of Nintendo's hardware in the CMA's statements here boggles the mind
The CMA seem to have great vision when it comes to predicting the future of streaming in 10+ years but when it comes to hardware likely to release in the next year or so, their vision becomes very blurry.

The CMA seem to have great vision when it comes to predicting the future of streaming in 10+ years but when it comes to hardware likely to release in the next year or so, their vision becomes very blurry.

Yeah I'm sure 3rd parties can't wait to release their games on nintendos next system! All that power that they've already had since 2013...

Corndog

Banned
This always seemed to me like a way for MS to try and get the deal approved without really having the technical authority to truly claim they can make CoD on Switch in a compelling way.

I mean, I'm sure at some level it is possible. But at what cost? Significant dev time spent downporting and ultimately not making Switch owners all that happy with what they're getting for the end product anyways.

This is what has happened in the past and I don't really see any reason for that to be different today. So when Activision developers hear Microsoft making these sorts of claims - I wonder if they're just rolling their eyes at what they're going to be forced into.
Or your nose is so far up someone’s behind you can’t see anything but Sony.

Tams

The thing is, Phil didn’t say what Call of Duty games Xbox would bring to Switch. I’ll say it again. I’d be more than happy with them bringing older 360/PS3 titles to the Switch because it could run them. World at War or MW2? Yes please.

That's the only way that this deal would help with Microsoft's acquisition of ABK getting approval though.

Regulators don't want to see a dishonest selection of hand-me-downs for other platforms. They want to see parity for other platforms if they are to allow such an amalgamation of influence and power in the gaming industry.

If anything, the deal as it stands is doing even more harm to Microsoft's chances.

Mr.Phoenix

Errrr....

How powerful do peope think the Switch 2 is going to be?

For reference, Nintendo made a 1TF, 4GB RAM console in 2017. The steamdeck is 3TF

For context, whatever it is,it cannot be drawing anything more than 20W if it's intended to also e a mobile console. Power consumption the break limiting factor of a handheld.

And we are taking Nintendo, how much do people think Nintendo wi see it for, $299? $399?

I believe switch 2 is going to be no more than 3TF. Have no more than 8GB of RAM, of the low power variety too. And come with no more than 256GB of storage in the system. And I don't even see how this can be done for under $299.

Oh.. and all the while Phil meant switch 2? hehe... maybe we shouldn't bother moving posts anymore and just make the post span the width of the field instead.

Correction... FP16 ~1TF, FP32 as is used measure everything else, ~512GF

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
No but seriously guys, surely MS could just put CoD Mobile on Switch without issue? Is this a glaring oversight from all parties involved? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I'm not even being facetious as in some ways the mobile version of CoD is far more engaging to us classic CoD fans compared to the mainline entries (as of late) what with the focus on standard multiplayer maps and modes. I personally would love that version on Switch.

Last edited:

Mithos

Errrr....

For reference, Nintendo made a 1TF, 4GB RAM console in 2017. The steamdeck is 3TF

No they didn't.
People keep using the FP16 numbers for Switch when talking "flops" but always use the FP32 numbers when talking about the Playstation/Xbox "flops".

The Switch is;
Docked: 393 Gflops
Portable: 153 Gflops

Topher

Gold Member
I hope you folks realize this is from the same CMA findings from nearly month ago…before Nintendo and MS signed the deal. And it contains their thoughts about COD running on the 2017 hardware.

This signed deal specifically uses the term ‘Nintendo players’ and doesn’t cite ‘Switch’. Microsoft has had an opportunity to engage the CMA and will no doubt outline - along with Nintendo - what the deal covers.

Using the present tense here is rather misleading.

No, I didn't realize this was old.

How do you know what language the actual deal between Nintendo and Microsoft is? This was provided to the public?

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

No they didn't.
People keep using the FP16 numbers for Switch when talking "flops" but always use the FP32 numbers when talking about the Playstation/Xbox "flops".

The Switch is;
Docked: 393 Gflops
Portable: 153 Gflops
haha i know, I was being generous.

But why I really used FP32 numbers was because I was trying to make connections to the steam deck as a reference-point for what the next switch could be. Albeit I don't even expect it to be half as powerful.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Did MS ever proimise it would come to the existing Switch? In their statements they talk vaguely about bringing the game to "Nintendo's gamers" they never mention a platform from what I can see.

VAVA Mk2

So the CMA is complaining that the Switch has underpowered, old hardware and needs to be updated to run popular multiplatform games it currently doesn't get ports for due to hardware limitations...

Mild Shock GIF

kuncol02

Banned
Errrr....

For context, whatever it is,it cannot be drawing anything more than 20W if it's intended to also e a mobile console. Power consumption the break limiting factor of a handheld.

And we are taking Nintendo, how much do people think Nintendo wi see it for, $299? $399?

I believe switch 2 is going to be no more than 3TF. Have no more than 8GB of RAM, of the low power variety too. And come with no more than 256GB of storage in the system. And I don't even see how this can be done for under $299.

Oh.. and all the while Phil meant switch 2? hehe... maybe we shouldn't bother moving posts anymore and just make the post span the width of the field instead.
It should be comarable with SteamDeck (should, but we are talking about nintendo...). It need to have slightly smaller form factor but at the same time Nvidia GPUs are better than AMD ones and low powered ARM CPUs run circles around low powered x86 ones. It should be enough to play nextgen games with lower resolution and cut graphic effects.

Mithos

haha i know, I was being generous.

But why I really used FP32 numbers was because I was trying to make connections to the steam deck as a reference-point for what the next switch could be. Albeit I don't even expect it to be half as powerful.
Well the SteamDeck is also not 3TF but 1.6Tflops.
But Switch to SteamDeck is about 3x the "flops" in numbers, not counting the improvement new architecture will bring.

Ozriel

M$FT
Yeah I'm sure 3rd parties can't wait to release their games on nintendos next system! All that power that they've already had since 2013...

The next gen Nintendo console is expected to outstrip the 2013 consoles by a significant margin.

Errrr....

Correction... FP16 ~1TF, FP32 as is used measure everything else, ~512GF

Steamdeck is around 1.6 TF.

No, I didn't realize this was old.

How do you know what language the actual deal between Nintendo and Microsoft is? This was provided to the public?

This was tweeted by Microsoft President

ZpG9rMj.jpg

Specifically mentions ‘Nintendo gamers’.

The next gen Switch should easily be capable of running Call of Duty games natively. This will be something they’ll easily set straight with the CMA in their upcoming hearings.

You will need one memory card for just CoD on (next)Switch :) or it will be cloud-based bullshit. MS is choosing their words carefully so they can bend it however they want when the deal is done.

MK 11 is 32GB on Switch. NBA 2k21 was 42GB. You need an SD card to play these games.

Paying $25 for a 256GB card (or $45 for 400gb) isn’t out of reach for people who want to play COD on the go.

Topher

Gold Member
The next gen Nintendo console is expected to outstrip the 2013 consoles by a significant margin.

This was tweeted by Microsoft President

ZpG9rMj.jpg

Specifically mentions ‘Nintendo gamers’.

The next gen Switch should easily be capable of running Call of Duty games natively. This will be something they’ll easily set straight with the CMA in their upcoming hearings.

MK 11 is 32GB on Switch. NBA 2k21 was 42GB. You need an SD card to play these games.

Paying $25 for a 256GB card (or $45 for 400gb) isn’t out of reach for people who want to play COD on the go.

That's not the "signed deal".

Mr.Phoenix

As you said, and rightfully corrected, the steamdeck is around 1.6TF. It also starts at $399.

I don't see the Sitch 2 being much more powerful (if at all) than that. Nintendo has never been about making the most cutting-edge anything recently. So in relation to the steamdeck, I expect switch 2 to be at around 1TF. A sub 15W chip and have less RAM than the steamdeck (16GB lpddr5).

That see how that is easily capable of running anything made for consoles 10 times more powerful.

EN250

They said feature parity and same version, not a cloud version.

Say cloud makes the game looks visualy identical, but gameplay could be a "concern"?

Or cloud version was out of the question because MS wasn't specific enough about how they would achieve same parity as PS5-XBX?

Thought regulators would be ok with anything showing on the switch no matter how awful/mobile tier it looked, I imagined something like this

would be ok to them as long as it appears on the system :pie_roffles:

I’m as cynical about this as anyone but this just proves these people don’t even know what they’re looking at. Obviously MS intends cloud support not running locally off the hardware.

A cloud solution that MS provides? That would be even worse because it would strengthen MS Cloud gaming business and the CMA are already saying that MS can't buy Activision because it would strengthen their Cloud Gaming business.

Last edited:

EN250

The terminology "Switch family of consoles" was used because they can't outright say "yeah we mean the Switch 2", because the Switch 2 doesn't officially exist yet.
Then they should be specific and say "Nintendo Next Gen System", of course they can't say Switch 2, because no one knows if the next Nintendo system would be even called that, but since the deal starts now, to be more specific: "current gen system and next gen" 🤷‍♂️

Nautilus

Banned
By the time MS needs to make COD for Nintendo, Nintendo will already have kickstarted the 10th gen, and this problem *probably* wouldn't be an issue anymore.

But the regulators are working with what's public, so the assesment is fair.Probably.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That's not the "signed deal".
Yep, until we actually see the terms of the deal, it's all futile. For all we know, it could be a similar statement like:

"Microsoft will bring* Call of Duty to Nintendo gamers."

*As long as Nintendo allows Game Pass on Switch because COD will be available only through Game Pass xCloud on Nintendo.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Tbh I'm not sure Nintendo fans / buyers even remotely care about COD. I think they're mostly into family friendly stuff.

By the time MS needs to make COD for Nintendo, Nintendo will already have kickstarted the 10th gen, and this problem *probably* wouldn't be an issue anymore.

But the regulators are working with what's public, so the assesment is fair.Probably.

Seems to be the case. It's funny how they're looking into the future of how the deal will impact the industry, but with this point they raise, they seemingly refuse to look beyond an already 6 year old system to consider what the situation will be for a majority of the next 10 years.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Tbh I'm not sure Nintendo fans / buyers even remotely care about COD. I think they're mostly into family friendly stuff.

A 4 year port of Witcher 3 sold 700k copies in 3 months.
I’m also not sure you can describe Bayonetta 3 as ‘family friendly’ and it sold over a million.

it won’t sell anywhere near the amounts on the bigger consoles, but it should easily be profitable…not to mention IAP sales too

cireza

So they are saying that Nintendo Switch can't run natively PS5 and Xbox Series games ? That comes as a huge surprise.

oldergamer

This is a pretty dumb argument on the cma. This can be proven without a doubt by the running other xbox games via cloud.

The entire game also doesnt need to be installed at the same time. And there are 1 terabyte sd cards now. Im using one in a emulator box.

If the approval from cma doesn't happen it will be taken to court where facts will be more worthwhile.

Top Bottom