• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch eShops from other regions can easily be accessed

whiteape

I created a JP account before official launch day because i got a Switch early but the german store didn't work. Now i removed the JP account from my Switch but i still get japanese news articles on startup and in the news section. Is there any way to remove them?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Puyo Tetris is tremendous, but I really don't get how to win. I'm playing pretty well, but the cpu is so much faster at dumping trash on my side even though I make good combos. Am I missing a mechanic because of the language barrier?

iphys

Puyo Tetris is tremendous, but I really don't get how to win. I'm playing pretty well, but the cpu is so much faster at dumping trash on my side even though I make good combos. Am I missing a mechanic because of the language barrier?

I had the reverse problem, and I found playing against a team of 3 CPUs, upping my handicap to the reddest one, and trying different CPU characters to see which ones were better helped. I guess worst case play with 3 CPUS and put 2 of them on your team so you can 3 v 1 a CPU.

I created a JP account before official launch day because i got a Switch early but the german store didn't work. Now i removed the JP account from my Switch but i still get japanese news articles on startup and in the news section. Is there any way to remove them?

Just spent a bit poking around to see if there was a fix for this and couldn't find a thing

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got a US account set up now to buy Shovel Knight.

One interesting thing I noticed is that 1 2 Switch is showing up as "Purchased" in the American eShop presumably because I bought it on the Japanese shop. I guess some games have only one version across multiple regions.

I know that the Zelda US cartridge contains Japanese (and probably other languages).

Rezbit

Also interested in this. Certainly not the biggest issue in the world but it does hit me right in the OCD. I wonder what happens if you change the region of the secondary account to an English speaking one? Or is it that once the news articles are there, they're there forever.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
ok just got my switch. put me in that group where non-jp card worked on 3ds/wii u eshop but not on switch eshop. :

Its likely that they use a different payment protocol on Switch vs previous systems.

Cards can be funny with out of country purchases.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I'm very tempted to set up a Mexican eshop account to pick up Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove for $12.

Does anyone know a) If that's still the price for it on the eshop there. b) will the mexican eshop take mastercard? c) is the game text in spanish or english and can it be changed in game?

Thanks!

EDIT: MISSED IT. :( THEY CORRECTED THE PRICE TO 499.00peso which is $25 American

Forkball

So if I put money into the eShop via my JPN 3DS, will it magically appear in my JPN Switch account that uses the same NNID?

Zafir

ok weird. tested uk card earlier and it doesn't work. just now I tried Malaysia card and it works...

I think Nintendo blocks cards from countries that are outside of the region to be honest.

Only people from NA and SA seemed to be able to take advantage of the Shovel Knight price on the MX store.

EU/NA seem to be having trouble using their cards on the JP eshop too.

When I tried it definitely seemed like it was Nintendo denying my cards, rather than my bank/card providers denying the payment.

ramparter

Banned
Is there a limit to how many times I can change my region? If I change my account from EU to US can I play games bough in both regions or only of the region I currently am?

edit: I'm just not sure if the op images refer to the same account or having two different accounts.

Lexxism

Is there a limit to how many times I can change my region? If I change my account from EU to US can I play games bough in both regions or only of the region I currently am?

edit: I'm just not sure if the op images refer to the same account or having two different accounts.
I don't see any limit on changing my region whenever I access the eshop. That shouldn't be a problem. You can play the game whichever region you want to. Like on my situation. I have 3 accounts. Canada, US (Mexico) and Japan. I bought games on Mexico and Japan and I played all of these games on my Canadian account. Whenever you play a game, it ask you which account you want to play it with.

So if I put money into the eShop via my JPN 3DS, will it magically appear in my JPN Switch account that uses the same NNID?
if you merged the balance, should be
I think Nintendo blocks cards from countries that are outside of the region to be honest.

Only people from NA and SA seemed to be able to take advantage of the Shovel Knight price on the MX store.

EU/NA seem to be having trouble using their cards on the JP eshop too.

When I tried it definitely seemed like it was Nintendo denying my cards, rather than my bank/card providers denying the payment.

yeah have a same feeling as that. oh well, I guess time to retire my uk card

dcx4610

I guess I'm a little confused. I have a Nintendo.com account and NNID. Do I have to change regions and create a brand new unique account (with separate e-mail address) for each region I want access to?

deleted

Sooo, I have a question. Apparently if you buy the ACA NeoGeo games, you can redownload them, even if you change the region from another eShop.
Do you guys think this will also work for titles that currently don't have all the language options? If I buy Tetris on the japanese eShop, can I just redownload it in english, once the english version releases?

There is no precedence yet to test this out, right?

CDX

I guess I'm a little confused. I have a Nintendo.com account and NNID. Do I have to change regions and create a brand new unique account (with separate e-mail address) for each region I want access to?

You can change regions two ways.

You can keep 1 account and just go into the settings for that account and change that accounts region, every single time you want to access a different eshop.

Or you can create multiple accounts, with separate emails and new IDs, one for every region and just quickly select the account to change eshop regions. All games purchased by any account on the Switch, can be played by any other account that is also on that same Switch.

If you keep 1 single account, every time you change regions your wallet balance gets wiped out. Some in this thread even reported they couldn't change regions with an account balance.

I personally prefer the multiple account method. After the multiple accounts are setup and on the Switch, I feel it's quicker and easier to change regions with multiple accounts. And if you're buying eshop cards online because your credit card doesn't work in foreign eshops, you don't have to worry about the remaining balance getting wiped out when you change regions.

sadromeo

You can change regions two ways.

You can keep 1 account and just go into the settings for that account and change that accounts region, every single time you want to access a different eshop.

Or you can create multiple accounts, with separate emails and new IDs, one for every region and just quickly select the account to change eshop regions. All games purchased by any account on the Switch, can be played by any other account that is also on that same Switch.

If you keep 1 single account, every time you change regions your wallet balance gets wiped out. Some in this thread even reported they couldn't change regions with an account balance.

I personally prefer the multiple account method. After the multiple accounts are setup and on the Switch, I feel it's quicker and easier to change regions with multiple accounts. And if you're buying eshop cards online because your credit card doesn't work in foreign eshops, you don't have to worry about the remaining balance getting wiped out when you change regions.

Having multi region accounts are easier. Just set them up once, then pick whichever region/user you want when playing a game or going into the eshop.

If you keep 1 single account, every time you change regions your wallet balance gets wiped out. Some in this thread even reported they couldn't change regions with an account balance

I chose to go with the "1 account method" as I didn't want to juggle and maintain multiple accounts nor split up my digital licenses. I'm from Australia and had tested swapping account regions through the Nintendo Accoint website and it was very straight foreword. I decided to buy Amazon US eShop $20 digital code and didn't care about losing 1 cent after I bought Snipperclips and swapped back to my normal region.

But I've run into the same problem as another user where it won't let me swap back to my original region as I'm stuck with 1 cent on my account now with no way to get rid of it since my credit card doesn't work on the eShop.

If only I had realised I could have bought a digital code specifically for Snipperclips instead of buying $20 eShop credit and being stuck with 1 cent on my account :(

I wanted to keep all my MyNintendo points under the one account too.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
tried this with puyo puyo tetris. Initially it says 'hang on your're in the UK', but then you can go and pick from your address book (where I'd added my inlaws address). But now its saying

Processing takes time. Do not reorder, please wait.
To avoid double orders, please do not reorder this item.
In order to prevent unauthorized ordering by using your account without permission, Amazon.co.jp carries out additional verification.
This may take up to 4 hours.

Is this normal?

Edit: got confirmation email. Phew

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Sooo, I have a question. Apparently if you buy the ACA NeoGeo games, you can redownload them, even if you change the region from another eShop.
Do you guys think this will also work for titles that currently don't have all the language options? If I buy Tetris on the japanese eShop, can I just redownload it in english, once the english version releases?

There is no precedence yet to test this out, right?
I can tell you that Zelda, Snipperclips and Blaster Master Zero all show up "Purchased" in the JPN store. What I would be tempted to do is archive Blaster Master, then choose to download from the JPN store.

Do you keep my Nintendo coins region to region? If I switch my region from us to Japan to redeem the coins for Setsuna physical, do I lose my previous coins/coins from Setsuna?

sadromeo

tried this with puyo puyo tetris. Initially it says 'hang on your're in the UK', but then you can go and pick from your address book (where I'd added my inlaws address). But now its saying

Processing takes time. Do not reorder, please wait.
To avoid double orders, please do not reorder this item.
In order to prevent unauthorized ordering by using your account without permission, Amazon.co.jp carries out additional verification.
This may take up to 4 hours.

Is this normal?

Edit: got confirmation email. Phew

That is normal. And, AFAIK, it doesn't take four hours. More like 20-30 minutes.

Beepos

Quick question. If I change over to the US eshop and buy Issac with the exact amount and then switch back to my normal Aus account, will it show up under my normal profile.

Essentially I don't want multiple profiles, just everything under my current Aus username.

Cerium

Quick question. If I change over to the US eshop and buy Issac with the exact amount and then switch back to my normal Aus account, will it show up under my normal profile.

Essentially I don't want multiple profiles, just everything under my current Aus username.
My understanding is that this is in fact possible as long as no money is left in the wallet when you switch either time.

ShivUK

Does anybody know of a site or tool that can do a comparison of the prices across the various eShops?

I remember coming across psn4.com for PSN a while back (e.g. http://psn4.com/search/snake+pass ) and being quite happy with being able to make comparisons.

I couldn't find anything for the Switch so knocked together something super basic in the past hour or so that would allow you to compare between the US and UK eShops for a given search term.

Some examples of what it does at the moment (only writes out the information to log files, for now):

KZAatmh.png

Seeing the Puyo Puyo price in the UK is what makes me want this to be easier.

Anything else (hopefully much better looking!) out there so I can stop wasting my time? ;)

CANLI

Bought Snipperclips code at Amazon japan which costs me 15.70 eur instead of 20 euros (European shop).

The Japanese versiin has all the languages too.

-shadow-

So one Nintendo Account will let me switch to any region whenever I want as long as there's no money left in the wallet? Just need to unlink my NNID from it?

-shadow-

Great! In that case I'll be downloading Puyo Puyo Tetris from the US. I'm not going to pay that €10 extra because of reasons when downloading.

So one Nintendo Account will let me switch to any region whenever I want as long as there's no money left in the wallet? Just need to unlink my NNID from it?
Be very careful here. If your card won't work on that store (which if you look back through this thread was very hit and miss) and you're stuck buying prepaid credit you may find it practically impossible to empty that remaining wallet.

Making a second Nintendo account doesn't sound hard though and you only lose out on a few My Nintendo coins.

Who knows maybe NOA will get better with download codes for retailers too...

Be very careful here. If your card won't work on that store (which if you look back through this thread was very hit and miss) and you're stuck buying prepaid credit you may find it practically impossible to empty that remaining wallet.

Making a second Nintendo account doesn't sound hard though and you only lose out on a few My Nintendo coins.

Who knows maybe NOA will get better with download codes for retailers too...

This is true but can be avoided if you buy a digital code for the game itself from somewhere like Amazon rather than buying eShop credit.

Guardians

Banned
I have a question to anyone who bought The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild digital on the european Nintendo eShop for the Nintendo Switch :) I would like to know if you are able to download the game also from the japanese and american Nintendo eShop after purchasing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild from the european Nintendo eShop? I myself have three Nintendo Accounts, one for every Region.

CraigMcD

I have a question to anyone who bought The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild digital on the european Nintendo eShop for the Nintendo Switch :) I would like to know if you are able to download the game also from the japanese and american Nintendo eShop after purchasing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild from the european Nintendo eShop? I myself have three Nintendo Accounts, one for every Region.

Don't know about Zelda, but I bought Mario Kart 8 from the Japan eShop and it was showing as purchased in the UK eShop.

Guardians

Banned
Don't know about Zelda, but I bought Mario Kart 8 from the Japan eShop and it was showing as purchased in the UK eShop.

Thanks for your response :) It's a good sign that it will work, but I really would like to know if it works with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild ;)

Edit: Were you also able to download the UK Version or did only show up as purchased? :)

Just wanted to let anyone that had the issue where they couldn't change region due to a remaining balance that it's possible to resolve this by contacting Nintendo Support of the region it's currently associated with.

I wanted to change mine from USA back to Australia but was unable to because I had a remaining balance of 1 cent left. Previously you were given the option to forfeit the money but this is no longer an option.

I was able to go to Nintendo America's support page and do an online chat with someone and explained the situation. They just asked for my serial number and email address associated with my Nintendo Account and sent me an email about 20 minutes later and my balance had been removed and they had changed my region for me!

It can be tricky to find the option to chat with someone. I chose "Nintendo eShop & Downloads > Nintendo Switch > Accidental purchase or download".

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/contact/ht/295

Thanks to Robin64 for pointing this out in another thread!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=234893155&postcount=2496

shanafan

I added a Japan region account (I have a US one as my 'main'), but my News section is now Japan focused. I have tried signing back into the eShop with my US account, but the News section didn't change. My language set on the Switch is English.

Any ideas? Thanks

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I added a Japan region account (I have a US one as my 'main'), but my News section is now Japan focused. I have tried signing back into the eShop with my US account, but the News section didn't change. My language set on the Switch is English.

Any ideas? Thanks

Your News section is now both regions, so you'll get updates for both.
You can't change this unless you remove the other account.

Just wanted to let anyone that had the issue where they couldn't change region due to a remaining balance that it's possible to resolve this by contacting Nintendo Support of the region it's currently associated with.

I wanted to change mine from USA back to Australia but was unable to because I had a remaining balance of 1 cent left. Previously you were given the option to forfeit the money but this is no longer an option.

I was able to go to Nintendo America's support page and do an online chat with someone and explained the situation. They just asked for my serial number and email address associated with my Nintendo Account and sent me an email about 20 minutes later and my balance had been removed and they had changed my region for me!

It can be tricky to find the option to chat with someone. I chose "Nintendo eShop & Downloads > Nintendo Switch > Accidental purchase or download".

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/contact/ht/295

Thanks to Robin64 for pointing this out in another thread!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=234893155&postcount=2496

Just a word of warning. I decided to change back to US region and discovered that the remaining 1 cent balance was actually still there and had not been removed. All Nintendo Support did was change my region for me on my behalf. So now I'm back to where I was stuck on US region because I have 1 cent remaining on my account.

So I need to contact Nintendo Support again. Although they stated in my incident email:

Hello,

I wanted to let you know that the issue you recently contacted us about has been resolved. Please note that if you experience a similar situation in the future, we may not be able to assist you.

Sincerely,
Nintendo of America Inc.

So I might have screwed myself :(

Dremorak

Banned
Just a word of warning. I decided to change back to US region and discovered that the remaining 1 cent balance was actually still there and had not been removed. All Nintendo Support did was change my region for me on my behalf. So now I'm back to where I was stuck on US region because I have 1 cent remaining on my account.

So I need to contact Nintendo Support again. Although they stated in my incident email:

Hello,

I wanted to let you know that the issue you recently contacted us about has been resolved. Please note that if you experience a similar situation in the future, we may not be able to assist you.

Sincerely,
Nintendo of America Inc.

So I might have screwed myself :(
Why not just make extra accounts? Its so much easier to switch between regions

Top Bottom