• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo slashes price of DS in Australia

http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=3077

$179.99 from September 22nd.

Nintendo Australia has announced that it'll be knocking $20AU off the cost of buying a new DS handheld in Australia, taking the price to an eminently affordable $179.99AU - although, if you went into three seperate shops at any stage over the last six months, chances are at least one would have had the console at that price anyway.

The cut will come into action on September 22nd, also (by complete coincidence, we assure you) the date that the hugely popular Nintendogs arrives on Australian shores.

It's an aggressive move by Nintendo that's designed to try and counteract the momentum gained by Sony's PSP (which launched in Australia two weeks ago), which will be especially effective if department stores take liberty with the new pricepoint like they did the old one. And with both companies having one eye on Christmas, the handheld market is going to make for some interesting viewing over the next few months.

In other news, GameRush has dropped their trade credit for PSP systems from $170 to $60, same as the DS. WTF up with that?

My theories:

Used PSPs are proving very unreliable
Glut of PSPs traded in for 360, GR doesn't want more inventory
Database error

Yeah, most stores have been selling it for around that price for a while now, but it's still a nice move by NAL. Might as well chuck this in here, Myer's got a DS bundle going on next week. $30 saving. =o

nintendaaawgs7ak.jpg

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
I hope the Euro price is reduced before the new colors come out. Or at the same time at the very least.

BuG

I'm buying my DS tomorrow. If anyone is from Adelaide what's the cheapest you've seen them going for down here? I'm particularly interested in getting EB to price-match so's I can trade in my crusty old GBA while I'm there, although I don't expect to get much for it.

Taker666

Casual Gamera said:
113 Euro

£76 uk - if there's a price cut over here

Not quite,Austrailians have lower tax than in the UK/Europe.

It's current Aus $199 price converts to £85.50, so if they make a similar cut over here you can expect 129 Euro (at best) or £85-£89.

Having said that, you can already get a DS new in the UK for about £80 if you shop around/use online discount codes.

GameStation are selling pre owned DS' for £79 with what I assume are underperforming games (Tiger Woods, Madagascar, Animaniacs etc)

That price would be perfect imo. That would make it only £10 dearer than a GB Micro though :D Do it Nintendo!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
nintendo does seem fairly aggressive with their price cuts in nz/aus. when they released in NZ, they were 250 (which is about 140 euro) and when I left 2 months ago they were 208. I guess it's cause there are fuck all titles still and the psp is coming (or there now?)

Gessle

In Spain there is a NDS + Nintendogs bundle announced for October 7th, for 169€. So I think an Euro bundle and/or price drop is likely.

Ruzbeh

Banned
Gessle said:
In Spain there is a NDS + Nintendogs bundle announced for October 7th, for 169€. So I think an Euro bundle and/or price drop is likely.
If there's any pricedrop, it will be 130 euros. :/ Which is 30 euros higher than Gameboy Micro...

Nintendo should lower GBA SP to 60 euros, Micro at 90 euros... there should be a bigger difference between Micro and DS.

mrkgoo

catfish said:
nintendo does seem fairly aggressive with their price cuts in nz/aus. when they released in NZ, they were 250 (which is about 140 euro) and when I left 2 months ago they were 208. I guess it's cause there are fuck all titles still and the psp is coming (or there now?)

Psp came out here a couple weeks ago. Not sure how well it's doing, but Nintendogs due out on the 22nd. I think the 208 was an EB special, adn the RRP is still 249 (I've seen many places with this price still). In an interesting note, all Central Park stores have closed due to receivership.

A 10% price cut? That's pretty tiny and unusual. The PS2/Xbox going from $200 to $180 in the US is the other time I can remember that happening.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
mrkgoo said:
In an interesting note, all Central Park stores have closed due to receivership.

thought that might happen, in wellington it moved to another location and became so shit that I wouldn't even look in there ever.

whats a PSP go for NZ?

beermonkey@tehbias said:
In other news, GameRush has dropped their trade credit for PSP systems from $170 to $60, same as the DS. WTF up with that?

My theories:

Used PSPs are proving very unreliable
Glut of PSPs traded in for 360, GR doesn't want more inventory
Database error

No way. Thats gotta be a glitch. And the GR i work at has only had one used PSP ever. We have several DSes.

Damn, those colours are hot. I'd get pink but seeing as it's a portable console I'd probably get beat up :lol

Nintendogs get though. Dicksmith are advertising Nintendogs for $42.95!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Now that it is Officially $179 hopefully we'll see it cheaper like around $150 for Xmas.

Top Bottom