• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Scraps The Sale Of Digital Game Download Codes At European Retailers

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Nintendo has decided to scrap the sale of digital download codes for its games at European retailers, effective from 1st July, 2020.

For years now, Nintendo fans have had a number of different ways to purchase their favourite games. You can grab a boxed copy of your chosen game from physical retailers or online, download a new title from Nintendo's own eShop, or even buy a download code for certain games from your favourite - and often cheaper - retailers.

That latter choice will sadly no longer be available in Europe. Nintendo has confirmed the decision to end the availability of download codes for its own-published titles in a statement provided to Nintendo Life:

After careful examination of the evolving European marketplace in recent years, Nintendo has decided to end the availability of download codes for its own-published software via retailers, effective 1st July 2020.
Customers will still be able to purchase Nintendo eShop funds, Nintendo Switch Online memberships, and add-on content such as the Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield Expansion Pass, at retailers across Europe. Download codes for Nintendo Switch software from other publishers will also still be available.
We’re always investigating new avenues, and will continue to work on new methods to bring Nintendo eShop content to as many players as possible.
As you can see, download codes for third-party games and other products such as DLC and Nintendo Switch Online memberships will still be available, but you'll no longer be able to pick up cheap codes for full games like Animal Crossing: New Horizons or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Uusis

Banned
No harm done, with 99€ pass, games still cheap as fuck. Never bought game from other sites because I'm not poor

-Arcadia-

Banned
I literally don't think I have ever used one of these things. Chalk that up to North American MSRP, which never dips below the physical or eshop price.

Guessing that's why this is the only region this is happening in.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Bought Skyrim for 54 at a 3rd. Party instead of 60 on the eshop back at release. There is only little price difference really and many games arent available anyway, so nothing is lost really.

supernova8

Banned
Never seen any good pricing in the UK for a digital code anyway (at retail at least). Not sure I understand the point of physically going out just to buy a code. Even if it were 5 pounds more on the store I'd just pay the fiver extra to avoid the hassle.

supernova8

Banned
In my case we´re talking prices 15€ cheaper than on the eShop. I have bought pretty much every title for ~45€ through codes. This is bad news for me ._.

Ah in that case, yes absolutely. Well it applies to Nintendo-published titles so it sounds like retail digital codes aren't going away completely.

Top Bottom