• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Revolution not so high spec?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
"Speaking this morning, he confirmed that it was Nintendo’s plan to continue to offer current hardware for the foreseeable future and that any new additions to the home console offering from the company would not automatically supersede current technologies"

First, it's not clear here whether he's talking about Revolution or the planned hardware additions to GC (camera, or whatever). If he is talking about Revolution, it's hardly surprising - Nintendo has always said with every upcoming generation that they're continue to support their current hardware, even into the lifecycle of their new system. It rarely actually ends up that way though..

I don't see how this relates at all to specification though?

Pug

gofreak, I probably miss understood the quote "any new additions to the home console offering from the company would not automatically supersede current technologies"

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Pug said:
gofreak, I probably miss understood the quote "any new additions to the home console offering from the company would not automatically supersede current technologies"

In the context of Revolution, I read that to mean that Revolution will not automatically replace GC as a focus, or revenue stream, for Nintendo, but that it'll be a phased thing. Which is the case every generation, though development focus usually shifts to next-gen systems pretty quickly (at least it did last transition..perhaps even too quickly, and some publishers recognise that).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Vormund said:
Well with backward compatibility, the transition would be smoother...

This is potentially quite true, and I hadn't considered that. Though looking back at the transition from PS to PS2, which was backwards compatible, it seems that a lot of publishers feel they jumped ship too soon. With that said, PS and PS games were still sold well into PS2's lifecycle, so perhaps Nintendo can do something similar with GC (i.e. make it ultra cheap, keep supporting it with certain types of games that'll pull in a different audience - as PS did so successfully with Dance games in europe, perhaps redesign it etc.).

hirokazu

gofreak said:
"Nintendo has always said with every upcoming generation that they're continue to support their current hardware, even into the lifecycle of their new system. It rarely actually ends up that way though."

didn't they continue to support SFC in Japan for quite some time into the N64's life?

anyhow, that Spong news doesn't really amount to anything, really.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
hirokazu said:
didn't they continue to support SFC in Japan for quite some time into the N64's life?

anyhow, that Spong news doesn't really amount to anything, really.

Quite possibly, yes, though the N64 seemed to be dropped pretty quickly. I guess it depends a lot on the success of the system (SNES's success = longer support, same with PS etc.)

And agreed, this Spong news adds nothing.

jarrod

Banned

GigaDrive

Banned
oh for cripes sake. *rolleyes*

I suppose you missed, this:

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=618&highlight=cutting

Despite the downplaying of the technical capabilities of Revolution,
it's widely expected that the forthcoming device will be based on
cutting edge graphics and processor technology, and well capable of
holding its own against its rivals in the console market.
Processors
based on IBM's Power5 architecture will sit at the heart of the system
- as they will on Xbox 2 - while an ATI graphics solution is believed
to be in development for the console.

Pug

Thanks for the Xbox fan quote Jarrod, very nice of you to pigeon hole me. Just for records, I'd be quite happy for the Revolution to be the most powerful machine but in all honesty I couldn't give a flying fig. Why? Because I like playing games, tried playing specs once didn't enjoy it.
I posted the article as the news story it was for discussion.
Regards,
Pug gamer waiting patiently for Pikmin 2 RE4 GT4 and off course Halo 2.

Top Bottom