• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo profit falls 21%, cuts DS and GC forecast

littlewig

Banned
elostyle said:
So they made less money than last year but more than they expected?

Nintendo d00med!

What did Nintendo release in the first half of the year that was really spectacular? Besides Advance Wars and Kirby, it was kind of dry...

mrkgoo

The thing about statistics is that they can really be abused, esepcially percentages. While not outright lying, they can be used to invoke a misleading feel about a situation.

Though market share percentage is falling for nintendo since 1980, it can be easy to forget that the market is a lot bigger now than it was then.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Turning a release about Nintendo raising their profit expectation by almost 100% into negative news is quite an accomplishment. Well played GAF.

Since the projected number of hardware sold is about the same, this either means that they expected to sell a lot less software or had calculated in an additional pricedrop before?

AniHawk

Honestly, considering how shitty a year they had, $308,000,000 in the first half (going back from September to the beginning of April for all of you playing the home game), is rather spectacular. That's about as much as they made in all of 2003.

Where the hell is all the money coming from? Weak dollar/yen conversions? It can't be ALL Pokemon Emerald.

Sure, they keep raking in profits, but for how long if they continue to have these double digit drops? Face it, the Gamecube severely underpreformed, and Nintendo's handheld marketshare continues to decrease. This does not bode well for the future, especially when you consider the Revolution could have a really hard time selling in the US.

I love Nintendo, but I'm not going to sit around sprouting the same talking points whenever stuff like this happens.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
When Nintendo's bottom line is hurt by the falling dollar, the analysts focus on that. When the rising dollar helps Nintendo, the analysts ignore it as an excuss and focus on the net profit.

There is a small number of financial reporters who cover Nintendo in the press. They always spin the news to look bleak for Nintendo.

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
This is a bummer for Nintendo. 20% ouch.

Doesnt' stop the fact that my DS is getting a LOT of great games lately, and my PSP has been sitting for MONTHS (partially thanks to it NEVER leaving 1.5, dumb ass Sony)...

Mario Kart, Viewtiful Joe, and Hawk are the 3 best HH games I have played in a long time, and soon... FF4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Culex

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Sure, they keep raking in profits, but for how long if they continue to have these double digit drops? Face it, the Gamecube severely underpreformed, and Nintendo's handheld marketshare continues to decrease. This does not bode well for the future, especially when you consider the Revolution could have a really hard time selling in the US.

I love Nintendo, but I'm not going to sit around sprouting the same talking points whenever stuff like this happens.

They had 98% handheld marketshare for more than a decade; there's nowhere for it to go other than down, now that the PSP is out. No need to be overly dramatic.

Gessle

Here are the hardware numbers (until Sept 30th). First number is sales in the 1st half of the fiscal year (April 1st-Sept 30th). Second number is LTD:

Game Boy Advance:
Japan: 570,000 (total: 16,120,000).
America: 1.680.000 (35,050,000).
Europe: 1.000.000 (18,870,000).
Total: 3,250,000 (70,040,000).

Of which, GBA SP:
Japan: 160,000 (6,160,000).
America: 1,390,000 (18,080,000).
Europe: 980,000 (10,080,000).
Total: 2,530,000 (34,320,000).

Of which, GB Micro:
Japan: 410,000 (410,000).
America: 290,000 (290,000).
Europe: 0 (0).
Total: 700,000 (700,000).

Forecast for Game Boy Advance in the fiscal year ending march 2006: 11,000,000

Nintendo DS:
Japan: 1,500,000 (3,630,000).
America: 680,000 (2,870,000).
Europe: 1,390,000 (2,340,000).
Totall: 3,570,000 (8,830,000).

Forecast for Nintendo DS in the fiscal year ending march 2006: 12,000,000

GameCube:
Japan: 40,000 (3,840,000).
America: 630,000 (11,090,000).
Europe: 140,000 (4,380,000).
Total: 810,000 (19,310,000).

Forecast for GameCube in the fiscal year ending march 2006: 2,400,000

Oogami

Banned
Gahiggidy said:
There is a small number of financial reporters who cover Nintendo in the press. They always spin the news to look bleak for Nintendo.

Well how would you spin the fact that their profits just dropped 21% into good news?

The thing is, Nintendo hasn't had a good news in the last 10 years. That's why it always seems as if the media is biased against Nintendo or something.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
20% is nothing. Sony's SCE division jumps up and down in the hundred's of %...

Code:
Year     Nintendo_profit       Sony_profit
2000     145,030                    76,935
2001      84,697                   -51,118
2002     119,151                    82,915
2003     100,120                   112,653

Culex said:
They had 98% handheld marketshare for more than a decade; there's nowhere for it to go other than down, now that the PSP is out. No need to be overly dramatic.

Don't blame me, I'm just a messenger.

mat65uo.jpg

Oogami

Banned
Gahiggidy said:
20% is nothing. Sony's SCE division jumps up and down in the hundred's of %...

Yeah but was Nintendo the market leader in the last 10 years and going to remain the same for the next 100 years?

Culex

Banned
Oogami said:
Well how would you spin the fact that their profits just dropped 21% into good news?

The thing is, Nintendo hasn't had a good news in the last 10 years. That's why it always seems as if the media is biased against Nintendo or something.

Um....

Gahiggidy

Oogami said:
Yeah but was Nintendo the market leader in the last 10 years and going to remain the same for the next 100 years?
Yes, they sell the most gaming hardware.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Oogami said:
:lol :lol who cares about 100 years?

Emotions

This is so bad, i won't be able to enjoy their games anymore, all their games lowered in quality for me now:( , the DS is doomed,
Revolution is doomed before it's even out, all i played were profits and now it doesn't feel the same anymore , R.I.P Nintendo ,it was good while it lasted. /end sacarsm

Culex said:
You're entire post had the enigmatic feel of depression.

Messenger indeed.

Oh, I love Nintendo. I was just pointing something out, that's all. I'm a little tense anyway, considering the freaking power went out throughout Michigan for an hour and a half. I'll be happier in a couple hours when I'll filled with stuffing. :D

ziran

during the first half of nintendo's financial year, april-sept 05, they made a net profit of $308 million.

from sales, they predicted ~$160 million, but they made more than expected, ~$165 million.

nintendo made an additional ~$143 million due to foreign exchange gains from a weaker than expected yen because their cash reserves are in dollars.

all the press is negative because year on year profits have fallen. however, nintendo predicted less profit for 05/06 than 04/05, and has actually beat those (first-half) predictions, from sales alone.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
PhoenixDark said:
I'm a little tense anyway, considering the freaking power went out throughout Michigan for an hour and a half.

a powercut makes you tense?

Top Bottom