• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct 1/14/15 (6AM PST / 9AM EST)

jariw

It's also yet another Direct where they show nothing new for the Wii U, which is becoming pretty telling for their plans from 2016 and beyond. People seem to accept that the Dec/Jan announcements are Nintendo's biggest outside of June.

Just because "people" accept a 2-year pattern as the standard behavior? With only one major Wii U title announced last winter? Without mentioning that E3 2013 was really poor regarding new Wii U releases?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I can't be the only one who noticed that, despite this being a "Spring focused" Direct, nothing was announced for June, right? Combine this with

1) Devil's Third already rated in Australia
2) Mario Maker and Yoshi being first half titles, in theory

I have a feeling we don't know everything coming up to June, guys.

jariw

I can't be the only one who noticed that, despite this being a "Spring focused" Direct, nothing was announced for June, right? Combine this with

1) Devil's Third already rated in Australia
2) Mario Maker and Yoshi being first half titles, in theory

I have a feeling we don't know everything coming up to June, guys.

This was a long 3DS-focused Nintendo Direct. NoA has already said that Yoshi's Woolly World will be released around the same time as Codename S.T.E.A.M. and Splatoon, which I would interpret as an April release.

It's January 14. There will be more Nintendo Directs.

Ansatz

Another show, another set of hype over nothing. As far as I can see, the only major game announcement was Fire Emblem? At least Sony people were able to admit the December show was overblown, and that had more interesting announcements than this.

It's also yet another Direct where they show nothing new for the Wii U, which is becoming pretty telling for their plans from 2016 and beyond. People seem to accept that the Dec/Jan announcements are Nintendo's biggest outside of June.

What were you expecting? There are only a handful of Nintendo teams unaccounted for, and short-term is stacked if you're interested in everything, including a system launch, more DLC for Hyrule Warriors, etc. They are spacing things out.

Releasing soon:

Monster Hunter 4
Code Name STEAM
Majora's Mask 3D
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Mario vs Donkey Kong Tipping Stars
Amiibo Smash wave 4 + Super Mario series
New 3DS

That's alot of money / time, not considering all the 2014 games I'm still playing like HW, MK8, Smash, Captain Toad etc.

Besides Fire Emblem there was Rhythm Heaven 4 and another cool looking eShop puzzle game this time from HAL.

Why wasn't this a panick mode style Direct with Metroid this and F-Zero that? Because this generation is over. It's no use trying to revive Wii U at this point in terms of hype and momentum, so we're back to normal. Save announcements for E3 / closer to launch etc.

Tanwo

I didn't expect much from this Direct, so I was happy to see some new announcements and release dates. Nice Direct, overall.
Then I saw that in the japanese one they announced a new Rhythm Heaven...
Come on, Shibata! Get this to Europe!

This was a long 3DS-focused Nintendo Direct. NoA has already said that Yoshi's Woolly World will be released around the same time as Codename S.T.E.A.M. and Splatoon, which I would interpret as an April release.

When did they specifically say this? Link please?

It's funny that people were complaining about the 3DS not getting enough games as of late in favor of the Wii U but when they do start to show new 3DS games, "OMG the Wii U is being ignored!!!"

Never mind the fact that the Wii U isn't being ignored and plenty of games are coming out this year but whatever.

I've found this funny as well. To be fair it's probably different people complaining about the two different systems getting ignored, but it just goes to show you can't please everyone.

I find even funnier you both actually taking seriously those statements about 3DS being ignored. Just check the support for both systems, it'll speak for themselves.

Bodacious

Banned
So, today they announced this at the JP Direct... what is it?

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201501/15069435.html

Looks like it's a game featuring Funasshii, a popular character on Japanese TV for the least year or so. Funasshii shows up everywhere, all kinds of programs, commercials, there are toys, clothing, etc. And my wife (japanese) told me the guy who does the character made it all up himself and owns all rights to it (uncommon in Japan, entertainers are usually tied to an agency) so he is making major bucks yen.

Here's a couple clips of Funasshii on television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xLaB716RDA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu8m-5Bw-AE

Copy/paste ふなっしー at YT and you can see more.

Rnr1224

ugh choosing between Majora's Mask 3D and Monster Hunter 4 is gonna be tough. I've never played Majora's Mask so im wondering how much i could get out of it.

Masked Man

I said wow
So, today they announced this at the JP Direct... what is it?

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201501/15069435.html

Horrible. Trash. Disgusting.
(See Bodacious's answer above for a less biased response. Funasshii came about as some guy's idea for a mascot for the town of Funabashi in Chiba. Unfortunately for the town of Funabashi, they already had an official mascot, so Funasshii's screechy paroxysms and inexplicable rise to popularity have actually overshadowed the official "town character." I think Funasshii looks creepy and sounds annoying, so it's terrifying to think he'll be starring in his own game, but the most terrifying thing of all is that people will eat it up.)

Bodacious

Banned
Horrible. Trash. Disgusting.
(See Bodacious's answer above for a less biased response. Funasshii came about as some guy's idea for a mascot for the town of Funabashi in Chiba. Unfortunately for the town of Funabashi, they already had an official mascot, so Funasshii's screechy paroxysms and inexplicable rise to popularity have actually overshadowed the official "town character." I think Funasshii looks creepy and sounds annoying, so it's terrifying to think he'll be starring in his own game, but the most terrifying thing of all is that people will eat it up.)

I didn't know the back story, I've just been waiting for him to disappear they way those kind of 'fad' celebs always do on Japanese TV. Like "Sanpei desu" and "Nan de darou?", etc.

Really happy after that direct, got myself the Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate 3DS XL preordered and really looking forward to almost all of the other games they announced or showed, thank you Nintendo :)

Toparaman

Banned
Really enjoyed this Direct. Splatoon looks fucking great. I'm glad they fleshed it out with a hub world. Xenoblade X looks like a fantastic game that I will never play, since I don't have the patience for RPGs. Kirby's clay artstyle is amazing. The 3DS has been revitalized.

One thing though: I can't believe NoA is actually going with the name of "New Nintendo 3DS". Did they learn nothing from the Wii U naming fiasco?

I missed the event but was there any suggestion the MM3D will have additional features for the New 3DS?

You probably heard by now, but you'll be able to have full camera control with the C Stick.

Jotthah

So, as a european, I'm kind of dissapointed with the Wii U side of things.

We get Wii games (yay....), Mario vs. DK and Splatoon with a whole lot of nothingness to full the gabs.
Also I got really pissed right at the beginning, as I thought the CGI beginning of the Fire Emblem Trailer was indicative of a Wii U Version, or better even SMTxFE. But no, 3DS game...

At least the Xenoblade Trailer was godlike, although I'm really getting pissed at their hesitation to give us a release window that is shorter than a whole friggin year.
No english voice over during the trailer also does not bode well for a release in a timely manner...

Edit: Wii Titles would be great if I could play all of them without Wiimotes. The only title I'm going to buy is Pandora's Tower, just to enjoy dat Off-TV play

Top Bottom