• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo apologizes for Pokemon performance issues and are working on "improvements"

Bragr

Banned
"On December 1, 2022, a new software update for Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet becomes available for download. Please take a moment to download and install this update while your Nintendo Switch console is connected to the internet. We are aware that players may encounter issues that affect the games' performance. Our goal is always to give players a positive experience with our games, and we apologize for the inconvenience. We take the feedback from players seriously and are working on improvements to the games."

I know this reads like a vanilla apology, but for Nintendo to state this on their official website is a pretty big deal and a clear sign that they are not happy.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/60277/p/989

The Skull

About fucking time. Haven't bought a Pokémon game in forever because of the lack of polish. I hope they light a fire up game freaks ass.

Interfectum

What happened to not releasing games until they are done, Miyamoto?! You have brought shame upon your ancestors as well as all future generations of Miyamotos.
Sad Shame GIF

Interfectum

Ready or not they dont even care, they know that pokemon fans ll eat any shit that they release, just look at the numbers
During thanksgiving nearly every kid in the family had a Switch with the new Pokemon and were having a blast. Kids don't count frames. Also, I'd rather see all of them playing a undercooked Pokemon game on Switch than a shitty tablet game like Roblox so I see it as a win.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
What happened to not releasing games until they are done, Miyamoto?! You have brought shame upon your ancestors as well as all future generations of Miyamotos.
Same reason Sony had to pull cyberpunk after they greenlighted the release. 🤷‍♂️

Sometimes things slip between the cracks.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Same reason Sony had to pull cyberpunk after they greenlighted the release. 🤷‍♂️

Cyberpunk isn't a Sony game. Pokemon is a Nintendo game (even if it's not developed internally). Not the same at all. Neither of them control the quality of 3rd party releases, the approval process pretty much just makes sure the game runs and that various mandatory things are in place.

Ristifer

I mean, Game Freak has shat the bed numerous times. Nintendo finally acknowledging it after millions upon millions of sales is a big nothing. In principle, it should be big. But it really isn't.

Kacho

They want the next Pokemon to sell 10 million copies. Can't leave a bad taste for this one. They have to fix it.
Oh absolutely. Can’t risk damaging the brand.

If I were Nintendo, I’d be working with TPC to hire competent developers to assist with the technical aspects on their future games. Especially as they try more ambitious ideas relative to their past output.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I blame the fact that all their other games slipped to 2023. They really had nothing else for the holiday.

CuNi

Cyberpunk isn't a Sony game. Pokemon is a Nintendo game (even if it's not developed internally). Not the same at all. Neither of them control the quality of 3rd party releases, the approval process pretty much just makes sure the game runs and that various mandatory things are in place.

Cyberpunk is as much a "Sony" game as Pokémon is a "Nintendo" game.
Neither Company is owned by the Console Owner and just publishes its games on them.
Just because GameFreak exclusively releases its games on Nintendo consoles, doesn't mean Nintendo has any say in the game development.
Nintendo has as much say about Pokémon as Sony had about Cyberpunk. Their only fault is allowing those products to be sold on the store they control.
Besides creating pressure on the dev to fix the game, they either can take it off the store or leave it.

tl:dr
CDPR is independent of Sony/MS and GameFreak is also independent of Nintendo.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Cyberpunk is as much a "Sony" game as Pokémon is a "Nintendo" game.
Neither Company is owned by the Console Owner and just publishes its games on them.
Just because GameFreak exclusively releases its games on Nintendo consoles, doesn't mean Nintendo has any say in the game development.
Nintendo has as much say about Pokémon as Sony had about Cyberpunk. Their only fault is allowing those products to be sold on the store they control.
Besides creating pressure on the dev to fix the game, they either can take it off the store or leave it.

tl:dr
CDPR is independent of Sony/MS and GameFreak is also independent of Nintendo.

Nintendo owns 1/3 of the Pokemon franchise, and absolutely do have a lot of control over it (but not full control). GameFreak couldn't just decide to release the next one on PlayStation (neither of the three joint owners of the franchise could make such a decision without the others). Nintendo is also the publisher.

Sony has nothing to do with the CP franchise except that it has released for their console like any other 3rd party game. They're not the publisher, they had nothing to do with the development, etc.

Why do you think Nintendo is the one apologizing for the issues and promising improvements? Sony never promised improvements to CP on PS4, because it's a 3rd party game and they had nothing to do with it except allowing it on their platform. Pokemon is NOT a 3rd party franchise.

So no, it's not even remotely the same. You are wrong. The end.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I wonder if the blind fans who said nothing is wrong with the game are gonna now yell at Nintendo that the game is fun and theres nothing wrong with it. Big emphasys on "nothing", because thats the retarded levels some of them are right now.

shiru

Banned
I wonder if the blind fans who said nothing is wrong with the game are gonna now yell at Nintendo that the game is fun and theres nothing wrong with it. Big emphasys on "nothing", because thats the retarded levels some of them are right now.
In fairness, were people actually saying that? Most everyone aknowledged the game's technical problems, and saying the game is "fun"/they enjoyed it despite that. At least that's what I remember.

Last edited:
But many claimed there was no problem................
Not that there were no problems for me, just that they did not stop me from enjoying the game personally and I thought others made too big a deal out of it. I felt the same about New Vegas; those games have been treated unfairly IMHO. I don't think performance should affect reviews so much... but maybe I just need to give less attention to reviews.

Saber

Gold Member
In fairness, were people actually saying that? Most everyone aknowledged the game's technical problems, and saying the game is "fun"/they enjoyed it despite that.

Theres actually a few people saying that. The ones who acknowledge are ok tbh, though I think some deserved to be called out. Because think about it, what you get for defending the current state of game? You guys only have to win let these problems be heard. The faster they are called for their shit state of the game, the faster they are to actually resolve these problems.

Meanwhile some care more about like "no no no, they may be released a broken mess, but its not nothing!1!".

CuNi

Nintendo owns 1/3 of the Pokemon franchise, and absolutely do have a lot of control over it (but not full control). GameFreak couldn't just decide to release the next one on PlayStation (neither of the three joint owners of the franchise could make such a decision without the others). Nintendo is also the publisher.

Sony has nothing to do with the CP franchise except that it has released for their console like any other 3rd party game. They're not the publisher, they had nothing to do with the development, etc.

Why do you think Nintendo is the one apologizing for the issues and promising improvements? Sony never promised improvements to CP on PS4, because it's a 3rd party game and they had nothing to do with it except allowing it on their platform. Pokemon is NOT a 3rd party franchise.

So no, it's not even remotely the same. You are wrong. The end.

No.
Nintendo, GameFreak and Creatures Inc. own "The Pokémon Company", which is responsible for licensing and marketing "Pokémon". Nintendo owns nothing of GameFreak.
GameFreak owns all rights to development of the games. So again, no, Nintendo cannot express any pressure on the development of Pokémon games since they have no share or say on GameFreak, the developers of said games.
While Nintendo can veto Pokémon games releasing on other platforms (since "The Pokémon Company" is responsible for licensing, and they have a say in this), they have no control over the actual development and content that goes into Pokémon games.

So, when it comes to the games, Sony had to say as much about the content and state of CyberPunk as Nintendo has to say about the content and state of Pokémon games.
So, after all, it is the same situation as in the Storeowners (Sony/Nintendo) can ask the Developer (CDPR/GF) to fix their games and/or throw the games out of the store.
The end.

During thanksgiving nearly every kid in the family had a Switch with the new Pokemon and were having a blast. Kids don't count frames. Also, I'd rather see all of them playing a undercooked Pokemon game on Switch than a shitty tablet game like Roblox so I see it as a win.
I think we need to stop pretending like a huge portion of pokemon sales arent also adults. If they lost those sales (they arent sadly) that would impact the sales of pokemon massively. Nintendo makes games for all ages so they cater to those audiences too. Gen 1 love isn't for 10 year old Kyle, but 26 year old Ethan.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No.
Nintendo, GameFreak and Creatures Inc. own "The Pokémon Company", which is responsible for licensing and marketing "Pokémon". Nintendo owns nothing of GameFreak.
GameFreak owns all rights to development of the games. So again, no, Nintendo cannot express any pressure on the development of Pokémon games since they have no share or say on GameFreak, the developers of said games.
While Nintendo can veto Pokémon games releasing on other platforms (since "The Pokémon Company" is responsible for licensing, and they have a say in this), they have no control over the actual development and content that goes into Pokémon games.

So, when it comes to the games, Sony had to say as much about the content and state of CyberPunk as Nintendo has to say about the content and state of Pokémon games.
So, after all, it is the same situation as in the Storeowners (Sony/Nintendo) can ask the Developer (CDPR/GF) to fix their games and/or throw the games out of the store.
The end.

I didn't say they own any part of GameFreak. But they do own a third of the company that owns the license, which means they definitely also have a say over how that license is used in games.

Again, why would Nintendo issue this apology and a promise to improve the performance of the game if it's an equivalent situation to any 3rd party game?

"We take the feedback from players seriously and are working on improvements to the games."

This is a statement by Nintendo. They wouldn't make such a statement about a 3rd party game, because it wouldn't be up to them to fix the game (just like it wasn't up to Sony to fix CP2077 - the reason they temporarily removed it from sale was because CDPR were sending a ton of refund demands their way).

It's not the same situation (it's also not the same as a typical 1st party game, but yeah).

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Let's see if they are sorry enough to not keep pushing the release of a mainline pokemon every year.

Interfectum

I think we need to stop pretending like a huge portion of pokemon sales arent also adults. If they lost those sales (they arent sadly) that would impact the sales of pokemon massively. Nintendo makes games for all ages so they cater to those audiences too. Gen 1 love isn't for 10 year old Kyle, but 26 year old Ethan.
Yeah I agree and that's exactly why they are patching it. The memes and chatter got too big this year and they know Ethan may not be back next year if they don't make good.

Mowcno

Maybe they'll fix the framerate and draw distance issues... Maybe. But they're never fixing the awful geometry and textures.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Nothing slips through the cracks.

It’s a matter of damage control when people start getting vocal about
that shitty game you let through.

Thief1987

Yeah, it's the last action that people will remember. They released broken game first, apologized later, so that's what will matter.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I thought they were gonna put the patch silently at some time and I'd be knowing by youtubers they fixed it, for Nintendo to publicly recognize something instead of just fixing it says a lot about them... BTW, there are already two "low quality control" polemics on Furukawa's shoulder (Expansion Pack N64 games and this), something Nintendo isn't known for...

Ready or not they dont even care, they know that pokemon fans ll eat any shit that they release, just look at the numbers.

For Nintenso GF is their best company, they make huge profits doing mediocre games at best.
You can't make a brand only depending on fans, Nintendo don't sell ONLY to fans, actually fans are the minorities, they have wider appeal, even beyond gaming spheres and age segmentations, Pokemon is basically the same but here it happens about both brands, I've seen lots of Pokemon literal fans actually don't care about Nintendo (or gaming at all) and many Nintendo fans don't care about Pokemon at all

Honestly, Nintendo acknowledging the issues on behalf of TPC is a megaton. Seems the criticism is too widespread to ignore, even after selling 10 million copies.
That's the thing, some complain that the game still sold a lot, but many of those sells were from preorders and day 1 purchases, before the issues it had got into mainstream memes, the following entries could probably suffer if they don't do something to repair their pubic image

They want the next Pokemon to sell 10 million copies. Can't leave a bad taste for this one. They have to fix it.
Exactly. They'll probably still sell a lot, but if the same repeats more and more frequently, each entry will sell less until those that will buy whatever GF put no matter the quality are left... And those aren't in the tens of millions as some think, most sales are not from actual fans of the franchise

Last edited:
Top Bottom