• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo announces the New 3DS XL for North America to be released February 13

I don't mind only the XL being released since that is the one I wanted, but no AC adapter packaged with it seems bananas. Every rechargable device i've ever purchased comes with one, even the jankiest of the jank. It seems like a greedy accessory cash grab to me.
3DS XL in Europe never came with a AC adaptor/charger.

denx

Well fuck, I bought a 3DSXL in Christmas and now they're saying Xenoblade Chronicles 3D will only play in the N3DS. :(

Eh not that big of a deal for me since I was planning on buying another 3DS soon anyway. I'll just buy the N3DS for me and give my 3DSXL to my sis.

QUESTION: nvm found the answer

I went to my local GameStop to try and pre-order the Majora's Mask edition and had no luck, so I pre-ordered black instead.

I come home and see online people are saying that the SKU's are so new in their system and to have the associate double check that you get the right color. I hope my guy got mine right for the black one. My receipt just says "Available SKU #2."

Anyone know if that's the right one? (Black system)

I preordered red and mine says Available SKU #1.

Also, anyone know how fingerprint-y the black XL is?

I went ahead and pre-ordered the black XL. I thought about the Zelda and Monster Hunter ones, but I have the gold LBW 3DS and stopped using it and got a black XL, because I didn't want to get it all scratched and stuff. So, instead of buying a black one in a few months or something, I just went ahead and got the black one. That's the one I was planning to get before the Direct anyway. I know the Zelda one has Oni Link on it, but I just can't justify the cost.

Xellos

No regular N3DS is kind of understandable given the 2DS. Disappointing, and really makes me wish 3DS was region-free, but kind of understandable.

Lack of a charger is super cheap though. At least include a USB charger or something. Guaranteed there will be people who buy one, get home, realize they can't charge it, and then get pissed about having to buy a $10 charger (which may or may not be in stock). Such a stupid decision to save a few dollars.

Compsiox

Banned
I almost gave in to the hype and was going to preorder. I soon remembered how I barely use my 3DS anymore.

Oh well maybe some other day.

NickFire

I hope this thing costs them billions in losses. Shipping only the xl doe snot bother me (their canned non-explanation given does, but whatever). But selling this thing without a power cord is deceptive, disgusting and shameful.

I need a new 3ds because I gave my last one away, so I'm going to get a n3dsxl regardless, but I'm still pissed because I really wanted the regular one. Not to give the people in NA the opportunity to get a n3ds sucks man. I'm pretty disappointed because it doesn't make sense to me for them to not bring it out here, but I don't know the market, sales, or demand for any of this stuff, so I can't really look at this other than through a personal standpoint of wanting that sweet little n3ds... hopefully the outcry of this news makes Nintendo reconsider their decision, but I doubt it..

Can't say I'm entirely pleased with the recent announcements. Was all set to pick up a standard n3DS. Now that NA will only be getting the XL model, my interest has fallen quite a bit. Wanted it for the better 3D, extra buttons, better/smoother performance. Too bad the standard n3DS had even more things I was interested in...I could settle for a n3DS XL if they would offer it in colors that actually appealed to me and didn't highlight every smudge/fingerprint on that glossy surface. I don't mind waiting for a better deal after getting burned on the OG 3ds.

Not including an AC adapter is not really an issue for me. Bought a couple of third party USB 3ds chargers for $1 each on ebay and those work well. Would only see the lack of AC adapter as a huge issue if they don't sell them in the same places that they are selling the n3ds XL. The option to walk into a store and physically buy them along with the system needs to be available if they are not going to bundle them.

If it's the same black as the old XL (which I have), then I don't even notice fingerprints.

I can't believe NoA fkd us again. Unreal.

Nah, it is glossy now. Not metallic like the old XL's. A GAFer confirmed to me in the Japan import thread that it is fingerprint and smudge heaven/hell.

Glad I went with Red.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
So just the Monster Hunter one is GameStop exclusive right? Because I still don't see this up on Amazon.

AegisScott

Neo Member
No AC adapter? I was just about to pre-order, but that seems very strange to me. Lots of bummed out kids when Mom and Dad pick it up at retail not knowing any better.

dolabla

Nah, it is glossy now. Not metallic like the old XL's. A GAFer confirmed to me in the Japan import thread that it is fingerprint and smudge heaven/hell.

Glad I went with Red.

Good lord, are you serious? Well, if I somehow pick up another XL in the future then I won't be getting black again.

Daezuel

So you can take in your old 3DS now and put it down towards only the new black or red?

Who makes these decisions? This would be a no brainer if you could order the MH4U version in store.

Has anyone tried to trade in more than one 3DS or 3DSXL yet?

Astral

Will GameStop at least offer money for trading in the old XL for this? Oh who am I kidding? Even if they do it'll be $100 at most.

weevles

Amazon doesn't sell Nintendo hardware directly, they only do fulfillment of third party inventory through their Marketplace.

GS seems to be the first place with online preorders up, but it should be available at BestBuy etc. soon enough.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Amazon doesn't sell Nintendo hardware directly, they only do fulfillment of third party inventory through their Marketplace.

GS seems to be the first place with online preorders up, but it should be available at BestBuy etc. soon enough.
Yeah I just remembered that...

Anyone with experience in Best Buy how good are their rerelease day shipping dates/time with online orders?

I'm really confused here about the lack of an ac adapter. I could understand if it was micro or mini usb, but if it's the same proprietary charger that was used for the original 3ds that is some bullshit. It makes me really surprised that they're even including the sd card. I'd argue that the ac adapter is more crucial for owners than the card.

I'm not too surprised that they aren't releasing the regular New 3DS. They've been phasing it out in NA for awhile now. Nintendo is finally just killing it off.

The lack of AC adapter is silly though. It's dumb and Europe and Japan and it's dumb here as well. It's just a money grab, through and through.

Pre-ordered the Zelda one anyways. I don't use my old 3DS much but I'm betting we will see a few good reasons to own a New 3DS popping up this year beyond just Xenoblade.

Rich!

Good lord, are you serious? Well, if I somehow pick up another XL in the future then I won't be getting black again.

Here's some photos I took of my European New XL last night that show the outer gloss finish. Its a mirror sheen:

jzwuke.JPG

xxkpja.JPG

bpijye.JPG

Adamator

I preordered red and mine says Available SKU #1.

Also, anyone know how fingerprint-y the black XL is?

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it. No idea about the finger printness. From looking at pics, the systems are kind of two toned where one half is glossy (the outside) and the other half isn't.

I don't like the two tone of the red, or I would of gotten that one. It should of been ALL RED of the same shade!

Even though I have 2 AC adapters, no adapter is still pretty dumb.
And system transferring while trying to get in on GameStop's trade-in deal is probably going to turn out bad if they don't let me do it in store. :/

btkadams

They lost a sale. I was going to get the white n3DS. No adapter at $199 is also fucking ridiculous. I just don't get this company sometimes.

Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7VWA-PCEAAxtVX.jpg[/IMG]

yolo.

Sku 1 is Red, Sku 2 is Black, Sku 3 is MH, Sku 4 is zelda.

Getting red.

Someone start a petition. Not going to work, but please just do it. Failing that, Gateway team, you guys need to hack the shit out of this and cover all firmware updates ASAP.

Gartooth

Pretty disappointed. I would've liked to have the choice to choose the regular new 3DS. Also, I really liked seeing the color face buttons on the Japanese new 3DS and wish that they kept that in.

Magwik

Banned
For those holding out for Best Buy it seems their 3DS stuff is back online so they should be adding the New 3DS stuff fairly soon

Koppai

Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7VWA-PCEAAxtVX.jpg[/IMG]

yolo.

Sku 1 is Red, Sku 2 is Black, Sku 3 is MH, Sku 4 is zelda.

Getting red.

What is this about, when I went in the store we could only do Web in Store orders, are they allowing regular preorders now?

Top Bottom