• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

OniBaka

I can't escape this game. I beat it over 2 months ago and yet all I've done since is watch streams of it almost daily, and a few days ago I decided to just replay the game, while watching streams.

I'm sick and the only cure is more Emil's shop song
The trick is to play a more depressing game but then that game will get stuck on your head.

Can't wait to replay Nier.

elcapitan

When I beat the game, I didn't think too much of it but after reading into the background and listening to the soundtrack, the game catapulted to my top GOTY contender. I can't stop the feels from overwhelming. Time to make the ultimate sacrifice over and over...

Greedings

I can't beat the prologue on hard ):

I would keep trying but that flight bit at the start is SO LONG. Wish it was skippable...it's basically a cut scene.

Ricker

I can't beat the prologue on hard ):

I would keep trying but that flight bit at the start is SO LONG. Wish it was skippable...it's basically a cut scene.

Yep...the checkpoint/save system in this game sucks but its been discussed to death by now...

Got careless near the end of a long Boss fight and we both died at the same time...of course the game didnt give it to me...back to the transport box lol...at least I know to go back to the title screen and load instead of continue now so I have my restoratives back.

Managed to clear the trials at the flooded city. The outfit you get for that one is a bit too much imo... You'll probably enjoy it more if you played the first game.

Now for the other two!

I really wish you could use all these cosmetic items on a new save file. Replaying the game now would be waaaay too easy. Maybe they will add a real new game+ in the future?
Would love the option to carry over everything except level and the ability to keep your weapons but putting them back at level 1.

I really wish you could use all these cosmetic items on a new save file. Replaying the game now would be waaaay too easy. Maybe they will add a real new game+ in the future?
Would love the option to carry over everything except level and the ability to keep your weapons but putting them back at level 1.

Beat all the trials and you'll get
items that can lower your level all the way back to 1

danthefan

Oh man I'm not enjoying route B. I've really enjoyed the game up to now but I don't generally replay games so just doing the same thing again, just not finding it fun.

It's worth pushing through... Right?

Ricker

Fuck this game for now...I cant get through the tunnel section at the start of route B...I dont get the way it auto drives you in there,at some point I cant get to a ship on on the side and I explode...made it a little further,thought it was over,listening to 2B, no restore items left and died...start at the beginning of the tunnel again,must of tried 20 times,pretty annoying I have to say because if you die there is no way out of this loop except to close the game...pretty stupid.

Can someone explain the mechanics of completing side quests? AKA, I'm on route A still and don't feel like doing any side quests. At what point will I no longer be able to do them (B C D E, etc) and do I have to activate them again in each route?

LotusHD

Banned
Fuck this game for now...I cant get through the tunnel section at the start of route B...I dont get the way it auto drives you in there,at some point I cant get to a ship on on the side and I explode...made it a little further,thought it was over,listening to 2B, no restore items left and died...start at the beginning of the tunnel again,must of tried 20 times,pretty annoying I have to say because if you die there is no way out of this loop except to close the game...pretty stupid.

Are you playing on hard or something? It's really hard to die, especially in Route B, when playing as 9S otherwise due to how OP hacking is. I kinda get it though, the last thing you do in Route A tends to drain a lot of your restore items, leaving you lacking until you get to a store. I learned my lesson since then to not be cheap and just buy a lot of them so I never come across such an issue again. But yea, if the lack of restore items is that frustrating, just put it on Easy for the meantime.

Can someone explain the mechanics of completing side quests? AKA, I'm on route A still and don't feel like doing any side quests. At what point will I no longer be able to do them (B C D E, etc) and do I have to activate them again in each route?

Some of your sidequests will disappear once you reach the part of the story that has you in the (Very minor spoilers)
Flooded
City. At that point, they will not be available to you until Route B, which will allow you to do them again until you reach that point again, as well as give you sidequests that are exclusive to Route B. But there are sidequests exclusive to Route A, basically stuff only 2B would realistically be doing, like a quest for Operator 6O for example. Route C also has its own exclusive sidequests.

That said, no sidequest is permanently missable.

Ricker

Are you playing on hard or something? It's really hard to die, especially in Route B, when playing as 9S otherwise due to how OP hacking is. I kinda get it though, the last thing you do in Route A tends to drain a lot of your restore items, leaving you lacking until you get to a store. I learned my lesson since then to not be cheap and just buy a lot of them so I never come across such an issue again. But yea, if the lack of restore items is that frustrating, just put it on Easy for the meantime.

Some of your sidequests will disappear once you reach the part of the story that has you in the (Very minor spoilers)
Flooded
City. At that point, they will not be available to you until Route B, which will allow you to do them again until you reach that point again, as well as give you sidequests that are exclusive to Route B. But there are sidequests exclusive to Route A, basically stuff only 2B would realistically be doing, like a quest for Operator 6O for example. Route C also has its own exclusive sidequests.

That said, no sidequest is permanently missable.

Yeah I am on normal...and it's not the exact start of route B,its a little further but I dont think I could save up to the point I am now and I will probably have to start from the beginning next time and
have to do the whole slow walk with the robot and the oil and the hacking 4 terminal...I am stuck after you meet 2B from the end of the Route A beginning...that tunnel is hard.

Yep,I just checked and you start all over...what was the reasoning for this bullshit exactly.

Mubrik

my god, the music in this game is god-tier jeez.
combat is sooo good, only nitpick is i dont know if i would have preferred evade as circle instead of R2.
the music man damn.

Hektor

my god, the music in this game is god-tier jeez.
combat is sooo good, only nitpick is i dont know if i would have preferred evade as circle instead of R2.
the music man damn.

You can fully rebind your controls
fq3QwPo.jpg

Ricker

I hope you can shareplay this game...I just cant get through the end of the start of route B even on easy with just 2 large recovery...that tunnel shmup part midway is way too long and even if I make it through,the other part kills me,when you are only the pod because I have no recovery left...my nephew will do it for me hopefully...I dont really like the on rail part of this game or when the camera shifts and you can only move straight.

LotusHD

Banned
I hope you can shareplay this game...I just cant get through the end of the start of route B even on easy with just 2 large recovery...that tunnel shmup part midway is way too long and even if I make it through,the other part kills me,when you are only the pod because I have no recovery left...my nephew will do it for me hopefully...I dont really like the on rail part of this game or when the camera shifts and you can only move straight.

You're still there? Do you have any chips that help with recovering health?

EDIT:

Why the fuck didn't I buy the Nier OST when I had the chance...

The game has quite a few issues with it's difficulty balance, but on Normal the issue goes the other way, the game becomes way too easy fast. At first I thought maybe you didn't do any sidequests at all and hence are underleveled, but that can't be it either. The enemy's level actually scales to your level during the SHMUP sections.

I'm sorry to say this but it sounds like your problems boil down to you being exceptionally bad at action games. Have you even equipped any upgrade chips at all? You should have numerous various healing chips at this point that practically make it impossible to die during this part.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean they're pretty different. OG nier was about t
he justification of one's actions in various contexts
while automata is like,
just about the meaning of life
lmao. Literally one of the broadest subjects out there. :p

I could see one being more personal to one's self over the other.

Ricker

The game has quite a few issues with it's difficulty balance, but on Normal the issue goes the other way, the game becomes way too easy fast. At first I thought maybe you didn't do any sidequests at all and hence are underleveled, but that can't be it either. The enemy's level actually scales to your level during the SHMUP sections.

I'm sorry to say this but it sounds like your problems boil down to you being exceptionally bad at action games. Have you even equipped any upgrade chips at all? You should have numerous various healing chips at this point that practically make it impossible to die during this part.

Well I may not be the greatest but I did beat Route A on normal lol,and numerous other action games,on normal mind you,so yeah anyway,I finally made it...for some reason the game resets your chips to 20/40 after laughing at you and making you start over the beginning of Route B so I changed a few things and auto chip helped me in that long SHMUP tunnel part and after so I finally made it...why is there an automatic and optimize option if it does nothing lol...I figured it would arrange it so you have 40/40 installed at least...oh well,bought a ton of medium recovery now so I should be ok for a while.

Coreda

The Resistance Camp theme also put me in mind of Zelda OoT's Title Theme. When adjusted in an audio editor it can be made to match pretty decently, though I didn't spend much time tinkering with it.

Example

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Oh my god this game is breaking my heart and making me feel like a monster at the same time :(

Route C

The whole Pasal story-arc and it's conclusion.

LotusHD

Banned
The Resistance Camp theme also put me in mind of Zelda OoT's Title Theme. When adjusted in an audio editor it can be made to match pretty decently, though I didn't spend much time tinkering with it.

Example

This sounds lovely.

Oh my god this game is breaking my heart and making me feel like a monster at the same time :(

Route C

The whole Pasal story-arc and it's conclusion.

Did you erase his memories?

adamsapple

Check out the village sometime.

I went there.
It's a shop now .. WHERE DID HE GET THE MACHINE PARTS FROM ... DON'T TELL ME :(

( -̩̩̩-̩̩̩-̩̩̩-̩̩̩-̩̩̩___-̩̩̩-̩̩̩-̩̩̩-̩̩̩-̩̩̩ )

Finished all 5 main endings. God damn, the game knows when to kick in the right music cues to twist the knife in just that much more.

Emil's hideout triggering the track from the first Nier game.

LotusHD

Banned
I went there.
It's a shop now .. WHERE DID HE GET THE MACHINE PARTS FROM ... DON'T TELL ME :(

( -̩̩̩-̩̩̩-̩̩̩-̩̩̩-̩̩̩___-̩̩̩-̩̩̩-̩̩̩-̩̩̩-̩̩̩ )

I think you know the answer.

Kevtones

Finally picked this up. 4 hours in after coming from:

- liking but not loving the first Nier
- put 200 hours into Zelda and its GOTG-material
- just stopped playing Persona 5 because it was boring me (and I LOVE that series)

MAN I am really digging Nier Automata. The story is shaping up, the pacing is great and the combat is fun and hectic. Having the knowledge of multiple play throughs is giving a cool/different mindset as I play. Stones are being left unturned despite my thorough exploration and it's doing a great job making me curious. I don't really get the POD stuff yet but I'm interested and really like the concepts everywhere.

Really stoked about my time with it so far :)

LotusHD

Banned
Finally picked this up. 4 hours in after coming from:

- liking but not loving the first Nier
- put 200 hours into Zelda and its GOTG-material
- just stopped playing Persona 5 because it was boring me (and I LOVE that series)

MAN I am really digging Nier Automata. The story is shaping up, the pacing is great and the combat is fun and hectic. Having the knowledge of multiple play throughs is giving a cool/different mindset as I play. Stones are being left unturned despite my thorough exploration and it's doing a great job making me curious. I don't really get the POD stuff yet but I'm interested and really like the concepts everywhere.

Really stoked about my time with it so far :)

For this in particular, in case you didn't already know, think of it as chapters, as in, you're literally not done with the main story until you go through all 5 routes, A-E.

Kevtones

For this in particular, in case you didn't already know, think of it as chapters, as in, you're literally not done with the main story until you go through all 5 routes, A-E.

I have heard though I thought there were four routes??

I've also heard Route B is a bit of a drag though? That won't deter me but just curious :)

LotusHD

Banned
I have heard though I thought there were four routes??

I've also heard Route B is a bit of a drag though? That won't deter me but just curious :)

Nope, five routes.

And yea, Route B is the most divisive. You might find it to be a drag, or maybe you'll enjoy yourself. Who knows. Personally I found it just fine, but some people just inherently dislike what it's about I suppose.

adamsapple

And scene. Fan-fucking-tastic game. I don't think a video game has pulled my heart strings this much since the ending of MGS3.

Used the trophy shop to round off the missing one's, no regerts.

Top Bottom