• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nibris asks, "[Raid over the River] DS - one or two screens?"

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Nibris said:
Dear All,

As I wrotte some days ago we will show Raid over the river DS teaser (with gameplay show) very soon. (All fans waiting for Sadness teaser have to wait at the end of the year - you will see big materials with gameplay showed by our publisher). But we have some indecisions. So, we ask you about assistance. What is better for this game - game on one or two screens? When we play on 2 screens and switch on some super attack, bullettime will automatically kick in and on the bottom screen radar will apper allowing pricise enemy targeting. Radae wil be semi transparent so you will still se whays going on on the bpttom scrren (thou with bullet time on it will be veeery slow motion)
Which proposal of gameplay you prefer?

http://img137.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rotr2screensay3.jpg

or

http://img151.imageshack.us/my.php?image=3zk5.jpg

Thank you for your help and all the best
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24894013

aku:jiki

How about -- gasp -- an option to choose between the two? That would be kinda awesome.

I'm not about to register at Gamespot.

Rayven

aka surume
"you will see big materials with gameplay showed by our publisher"

sadness has a publisher? vaporware not am total?

surume said:

Well, let's start naming the possible candidates: Titus, Majesco, etc.

aku:jiki

Cheebs said:
I expect this game to never come out.
Hell, not even these screens are anywhere near real. You can see that they used that "cross-stitch" Photoshop filter to create the blur in the 2-screen one and, well, uh...the ships are wildly different in design in the two sets.

What is Nibris' game? Publisher fraud or something?

Gallagher

Banned
surume said:

Well i heard that long time ago when they said that nibris found a publisher for Raid over the river and that he will publish Sadness too.

So nothing new for me...

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I'd say 1, if it were 2, the FPS would probably drop dramatically. And let it be the bottom screen with the option to control the ship with the stylus.

FiRez

my.php

:lol

Sho Nuff

Banned
How the hell have they not made that decision already!? If you're running 3D in both screens you take a serious performance hit as you're drawing double the pixels (Mario Kart drops to half the frame rate in these modes). You'd think art asset creation would already have the limitations in mind, wtf?

Amir0x

Banned
Sho Nuff said:
How the hell have they not made that decision already!? If you're running 3D in both screens you take a serious performance hit as you're drawing double the pixels (Mario Kart drops to half the frame rate in these modes). You'd think art asset creation would already have the limitations in mind, wtf?

ISN'T IT NICE THEY WANT TO ASK THE FANS

Joe Molotov

In a week or so, we'll get a follow-up post that'll be something like...

Dear All,

Raid Over the River DS is still coming along very nicely, but we have some more indecisions. So, we ask you about assistance. Does anyone know how to make videogame graphics? We are not so good at this, but if you'd like to make graphics for our game, please send your best graphics to us.

Thank you for your help and all the best

P.S. Also pick out your favorite music for the game, MP3 format please.

Amir0x

Banned
actually they'd probably post a story about how some hollywood studio is totally interested in adapting their rad raid over the river story

ghst

thanks for the laugh
" Hey guys, Anyone got a copy of SEUCK we could borrow? We'll trade for n00dz.

Thanks in advance
-Nibris "

E-phonk

Banned
hahahahha

nibris, how i laugh at thee. Great that such obvious fakes/frauds are able to make it to IGN/Gamespot and get so much attention.

Gaming press ftw

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Times like this, I wish nintendo would make them say something actually relevant about the games. I'm all for asking the fans for stuff...look at Metal Gear (well those were more of threats...), but this is getting rediculous.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
that gap between the screens would destroy any serious attempt at a vertical shooter. but even if this was a serious attempt at a game, i'm sure it wouldn't be a serious vertical shooter. the two-screen thing works a treat with pinball, though.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
This a more delicate decision than it appears.

If the game has 3D grafics as they show on those shoots, that means that the 2 screens use would drop framerate to 30 in each. And on a fast paced game that would be a bad move. As we do not know how is it's pace we can't decide for one or another mode.

Those are my points:

case a) The gameplay it's slowpaced and the speed at which elements are scrolling on the screen are slow, so the player can follow easily the development of the stage. - make it 2 screens by default, just to sustain the 2 screens cool factor.

case b) The gameplay is quick paced and in order the keep the hiperaction of the player enemies and their amo should scroll really at high speeds. - Make it one screen and gimmick on the second (a radar which no one will care like in Nanostray).

case c) There's hundred interesting posibilities if you can add to the gameplay constant perspective changes. Check classics like Axelay to know some tidbits ¡and imagine the posibilities! - If the developer got to that point then, of course, go for 30 fps 2 screens with slow paced gameplay. Also, remember you can swicht from 2 3d screens to one 3D screen, ofering the posibility to fast the action for some stages (again ¡check classics!)

Of course, Nibris can contact me for more in deep help :p

One screen because it's better for a vertical shooter and they're saying that in bullet time slow motion mode the bottom screen will be semi transparent so we can do precise actions.
Seems good, no ?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
A dual screened bullet hell shooter, where the bottom screen would be zoomed to close by your ship (so you can get close ups of the bullets and their hitboxes), would be a pretty cool idea for the DS.

That said, I have little to no faith in this game... if its even coming. Has there EVER been a quality shooter that wasn't Japanese developed?

NintendoGal said:
Why stop at 2?? Make an addon for 16 plz. ;p

Dont be silly. no addons needed. You can just upload the game across like 8 Ds's. Connectivity for the win. Itll be like single player coop. You can have like 7 copilots yelling you the path of the fire.

Scalemail Ted said:
Dont be silly. no addons needed. You can just upload the game across like 8 Ds's. Connectivity for the win. Itll be like single player coop. You can have like 7 copilots yelling you the path of the fire.

Damn! Why didn't I think of that!

Acosta

What will happen if Nibris release a game?

a) massive ownage?
b) seppuku of some rabid forumer?
c) "well, yes, they released a game, but it sucks anyway"

I mean, I can understand the complains and I´m far from being 100% sure they will release a game to the market. But some of you seems so passionate and convinced that is a vaporware company that I could see some heads exploding if they finish developing a full and comercial game.

Burning all the bridges is never a good idea.

If they release a game, I'll nod, and check out reviews and stuff to form an opinion of whether this game is worth my time.

Gaijin To Ronin said:

a) massive ownage?

I mean, I can understand the complains and I´m far from being 100% sure they will release a game to the market. But some of you seems so passionate and convinced that is a vaporware company that I could see some heads exploding if they finish developing a full and comercial game.

They will release something, no doubt. But it's ridiculous how such amateurs with a moreso ridiculous fanboyish statement on their site get attention and hype. From what I have read many Nintendo fans expect Sadness to be the next Eternal Darkness. If this was a project for a non-Nintendo platform, nobody would even give a damn about them.

Joe Molotov

Gaijin To Ronin said:

a) massive ownage?

I will gladly be owned if Nibris actually makes a game that lives up to the crazy hype and secrecy of Sadness but until they do that, they're a fake company. And Raid Over the River doesn't count, even if it does get released.

Top Bottom