• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL presenting a plan to owners where if you hire a minority head coach or executive you get better draft picks

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The NFL is trying to have more diversity in the head coaching and front office positions.

This is what they're proposing:

The sources spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the topic. The league declined to comment Friday on this specific agenda for Tuesday's meeting. But if the resolutions were to be voted in under the League Policy on Equal Employment and Workplace Diversity, they would work as follows:

• If a team hires a minority head coach, that team, in the draft preceding the coach's second season, would move up six spots from where it is slotted to pick in the third round. A team would jump 10 spots under the same scenario for hiring a person of color as its primary football executive, a position more commonly known as general manager.
  • If a team were to fill both positions with diverse candidates in the same year, that club could jump 16 spots -- six for the coach, 10 for the GM -- and potentially move from the top of the third round to the middle of the second round. Another incentive: a team's fourth-round pick would climb five spots in the draft preceding the coach's or GM's third year if he is still with the team. That is considered significant because Steve Wilks and Vance Joseph, two of the four African-American head coaches hired since 2017, were fired after one and two seasons, respectively.

Thoughts?

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Because the NFL really has a diversity problem doesn't it lol. Good lord this is getting aggressive.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
If this goes through, I am done with the NFL forever. And that’s a shame because I love pro football. The shit response to all the kneeling was bad enough.

But, why in the flying fuck do black millionaire coaches need extra help? This isn’t even GOOD pandering. If you’re going to pander, you should at least try to hide the pander part.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

This is just plain stupid, no ones going to hire a coach just to move up 6-10 spots in the third round....third round!
You hire coaches who you think will do the best job

cryptoadam

Banned
BS. But if the NHL introduced this and it somehow meant the Habs could get a number 1 pick I would support them hiring minorities in every single position possible.

but this really has to be one of the stupidest ideas ever. Hiring a coach should be about winning games period.

Next step should be if you have a black coach you get a bye into the playoffs or maybe start the game with a field goal lead. This way we can gurantee that not only will black coaches and GMS be hired but they will also be more sucsesful then whites. And if you hire a women coach then you go straight to the super bowl, but only if you allow Biden to sniff her hair.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The only reason why the NFL would propose this is because they think it is a good enough carrot to change the hiring decisions of NFL teams.

If true, that means that every single time a minority coach gets hired, people will wonder how much of it was merit and how much was the carrot. It's just inevitable and logical. I don't think it helps the coaches in the long run, I really don't.

Zenaku

I can't decide if this is more racist against whites for thinking they don't work hard to earn their positions, or if it's more racist against blacks for implying they can't do a good job without handicaps.

Fox Mulder

The nfl does have an issue with minority coaches. The Rooney rule thing hasnt accomplished much besides token HC interviews. This blew up again this year because Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy didn’t get a HC job.

Applying the Rooney rule to coordinator positions too could expand that pool where most HCs are pulled from.

Ornlu

Banned
This is just plain stupid, no ones going to hire a coach just to move up 6-10 spots in the third round....third round!
You hire coaches who you think will do the best job

Bill Belichick promoted to "Executive of Coaching", assumes duties formerly assigned to the "Head Coach" position.
Colin Kaepernick hired as "Head coach" for the Patriots. Duties include walking around with a blank clipboard, and wearing a headset with no power/batteries.
Jesse Jackson hired as "General Manager", gets his own 8' x 10' office without internet or wifi, which locks from the outside. Must be present within said office during all working and game hours to perform his duties, which include:

You know NE would do some shady shit for an advantage. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

As a minority in the US, I think this proposal would be disastrous. Hire the best regardless of race or gender.

No no no...you've got it all wrong...see...due to institutionalized racism, you never received the proper education. Let the woke white man make all the decisions for you. Just trust they have your best interests at heart!

/s

The nfl does have an issue with minority coaches. The Rooney rule thing hasnt accomplished much besides token HC interviews. This blew up again this year because Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy didn’t get a HC job.

Applying the Rooney rule to coordinator positions too could expand that pool where most HCs are pulled from.
Why does the NFL have a problem with minority coaches?

What's the problem? They want more of them. More of them aren't qualified. And?

DESTROYA

Bill Belichick promoted to "Executive of Coaching", assumes duties formerly assigned to the "Head Coach" position.
Colin Kaepernick hired as "Head coach" for the Patriots. Duties include walking around with a blank clipboard, and wearing a headset with no power/batteries.
Jesse Jackson hired as "General Manager", gets his own 8' x 10' office without internet or wifi, which locks from the outside. Must be present within said office during all working and game hours to perform his duties, which include:

You know NE would do some shady shit for an advantage. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

No no no...you've got it all wrong...see...due to institutionalized racism, you never received the proper education. Let the woke white man make all the decisions for you. Just trust they have your best interests at heart!

/s
That hurt :messenger_loudly_crying:
I live in NE and love the Pats. People are just jealous

DESTROYA

No hate, man. I say it out of respect. If it was me I'd be parsing every line of every rule and coming up with some crazy ass loopholes to win.
I go back to the Eason and Grogan days so we’ve been through some shit before Kraft hired BB.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I don't know if it's a "problem" there aren't a lot of minority coaches. I mean, most players are black. If there was a racist issue going on, someone like Tyreek Hill who has been involved in multiple domestic violence cases would not have a job right now. A black man with legal troubles is the easiest excuse to not employ a black man if your league had racial bias.

Fuck, Michael Vick was literally an ex con who got a job after prison.

The NFL is a meritocracy. They will hire a serial killer if he helps get you championships. If the NFL isn't hiring minority candidates they simply don't think they're the best man for the job. Why would this "hire anyone who helps us win" only apply to players and not coaches? I don't see why they'd arbitrarily just stop at the player level of it.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
I’m not even for diversity hires. Merit based, until we are overtaken by Northern Chinese lol. I think diversity hires breed resentment, and are typically busts, because diversity hires know they are diversity hires.

You’re not going to change old rich guys. If you feel the NFL is shitty ( which it is imo ) nothing is stopping you from fucking off to another country or creating your own alternative. Businesses all have to start somewhere. When I was a kid football players in the NFL weren’t paid much at all. Many worked other jobs in the off season. Ray Schoenke was an all pro guard for the Redskins and his daughter went to the same shit box public school I did.

Last edited:
Are minority coaches not good enough to compete without help from the league? That seems like the message the NFL is sending with this. I don’t think it’s a good idea to do affirmative action in the NFL. Seems like fans would understandably wonder whether their coach was hired because he’s good at his job or because black coaches come with better draft picks.

highrider

Banned
Are minority coaches not good enough to compete without help from the league? That seems like the message the NFL is sending with this. I don’t think it’s a good idea to do affirmative action in the NFL. Seems like fans would understandably wonder whether their coach was hired because he’s good at his job or because black coaches come with better draft picks.

There are and have been good minority coaches, but not a lot. It might barely scratch representation at a national average, and taking in to account the percentage of black players it’s bound to raise heads. But as they say, those that can do, those that can’t teach. I’m prepared to believe there’s an old boy network of white owners, many of which are probably assholes. But you’re free. Nobody is forcing you to play football for them. With coaching there are only a few real prospects and they have been passed up at times I remember when teams hired coaching staff.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
This is as dumb as it would be if the NBA would incentivize having white players. Teams that are less than 90% black start with 6 points on the scoreboard.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
ZMYADuX.gif

Heeeey! Maybe that Krappingnickles guy can get a job with the league again with this. I believe he's lightskin black

Lanrutcon

It's called affirmative action.

You folks are just lucky that the proposal is for sports. We have it in our careers.

"Oh, sorry. You're a white male. We get more benefit out of promoting a female of color."

Ragnarok

Even though this is a silly proposal, and almost assuredly won't pass.

Does no one find it...strange...perhaps....wrong...that a league with majority black players base is so under-represented in the coaching and executive positions?

Players know the game best. Majority of players are black. There should probably be more black coaches/execs than there are. Let go of your pearls for a second and think about the REAL issue here.

Even though this is a silly proposal, and almost assuredly won't pass.

Does no one find it...strange...perhaps....wrong...that a league with majority black players base is so under-represented in the coaching and executive positions?

Players know the game best. Majority of players are black. There should probably be more black coaches/execs than there are. Let go of your pearls for a second and think about the REAL issue here.

I don’t have the stats in front of me, I would guess that the NFL has had an issue with diversity amongst its head coaches/GMs/top execs for almost its whole existence.

It’s an issue I think has has been pretty well documented and “The Rooney Rule” was put in place to try and open doors for minority hires. I’m all for it.

That being said, this proposal is bogus. You can’t give a team a competitive advantage/incentive due to a minority hire. Once you start down that path, where does it stop?

There has to be method of top personnel diversification.

Last edited:
Top Bottom