• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I do sometimes think that I was happier with games back in the day when I didn't think about resolution and frame-rate and ray-tracing and all of this shit.

So stop thinking about it.

There's nothing healthy about these game/platform comparison obsessions.

A lot of mental health issues are diagnosed when things that are normal (moodiness, anger, being sad) start to become detrimental to your life. The same should be applied to gaming.. if arguing about 8FPS drops and zoomed in screenshots of compressed YouTube comparison videos for games you have no interest in playing is making gaming worse for you, stop doing it lol

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The point of Hitman games is the fact that the NPCs have exacting routines. The expectation isn't dynamic AI, it's actually predictable AI.

Loads of people love these games, I don't think high scores are deceiving lol, you just don't like the games.

Nah, I thought it would exceed MGS5 in AI, at least. It's just too basic to me and kills the fun so quickly to me.

I still miss the dodgy AI in Far Cry 2 when NPC's would go around you without you noticing and strike you from behind if you miss shot or alarmed them. Fuck you Ubisoft for turning the game into this goofy, generic approach starting from FC3 that's well praised, even though I liked it so much but FC2 had a soul, and had a real, impactful true story.

Reactions: Rea

Zathalus

OK, you obviously buy your shoes from Bozo's shop.

See where the pebbles stop being rendered, its the same distance from the camera, LOD is the same.

There is nothing cut off the xbox version at a certain range, so the draw distance is the same or the same as can be established with this image. Flags, hoardings all present in both versions.

And I have pointed out where VRS is blatantly in effect, and as expected you ignored them completely as it doesn't fit with your "there's no VRS" narrative.

vrs_softparticle.png

See anything familiar in this image? Such as pixels being merged, detail being lost and "squares" clearly evident.

But yeah, I don't know what VRS is.
Is that Tier 1 or Tier 2 VRS?

Tier 2 has rather minimal impact on image quality and shouldn't be the cause of the image quality suffering in Dirt 5:

IntentionalPun

Nah, I thought it would exceed MGS5 in AI, at least. It's just too basic to me and kills the fun so quickly to me.

I still miss the dodgy AI in Far Cry 2 when NPC's would go around you without you noticing and strike you from behind if you miss shot or alarmed them. Fuck you Ubisoft for turning the game into this goofy, generic approach starting from FC3 that's well praised, even though I liked it so much but FC2 had a soul, and had a real, impactful true story.

Like I said; it's OK to not like it.. MGS5 is just not attempting to do the same thing really. Hitman has and always will be about presenting levels with a myriad of NPCs doing predictable things, and a 100 ways to beat the level (that the level designers specifically design for.) It's about replaying the same level and trying to find all of those ways. The complexity of the game is the sheer amount of ways you can "beat" the level, and how difficult it is to find all of those ways as you have to be creative.

MGS5 shares some similarities; but it's not really the same type of game when you get into the details.

I prefer MGS5 style games myself like you however. But I do enjoy some Hitman on occasion, for different reasons.

Last edited:

Shmunter

W
Yeah, after Hitman 2, I'm not wasting my money on that garbage. AI is the biggest problem in the game, and AI should be the main thing in such a game. The scores seem too high and deceiving like Hitman 2.
Wow that’s harsh. Do you really think so? Seems overly harsh maybe.

JonkyDonk

So stop thinking about it.

There's nothing healthy about these game/platform comparison obsessions.

A lot of mental health issues are diagnosed when things that are normal (moodiness, anger, being sad) start to become detrimental to your life. The same should be applied to gaming.. if arguing about 8FPS drops and zoomed in screenshots of compressed YouTube comparison videos for games you have no interest in playing is making gaming worse for you, stop doing it lol
It's far too late for me doc! I'm way too deep in with doing all kinds of shit that's detrimental to my life. The only way forward is to dig deeper into the madness!

Shmunter

Like I said; it's OK to not like it.. MGS5 is just not attempting to do the same thing really. Hitman has and always will be about presenting levels with a myriad of NPCs doing predictable things, and a 100 ways to beat the level (that the level designers specifically design for.) It's about replaying the same level and trying to find all of those ways. The complexity of the game is the sheer amount of ways you can "beat" the level, and how difficult it is to find all of those ways as you have to be creative.

MGS5 shares some similarities; but it's not really the same type of game when you get into the details.

I prefer MGS5 style games myself like you however. But I do enjoy some Hitman on occasion, for different reasons.
Sounds like a Groundhog Day scenario. Which is cool like in the sci fi, Tom cruise movie.

Skyfox

Anyone know when internal storage is coming for ps5?

I have the series x memory card and its cool. I dont have any physical space where my ps5 is setup for an additional device and its really annoying having to wait hours to download a different game.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Maybe I expected too much, Hitman 2 was the first since like more than a decade or so. Hitman games always felt shit to me but I think I got hyped after the Hitman movie.

IntentionalPun

Sounds like a Groundhog Day scenario. Which is cool like in the sci fi, Tom cruise movie.
Groundhog day is not a bad analogy. At least the parts where Murray repeatedly just sits and watches what everyone is doing to then try a different tactic. Difference being there are a ton of ways to win.

I tend to find myself looking at guides when playing Hitman games which kills half the fun; but it's still pretty cool to see it all. I'm just not patient enough to sit around and examine the level over and over to figure out all the in's and outs.

The maps are all about variety too which is cool. Blood Money had some absolutely hilarious levels; my favorite being the one where you have to go to a hillbilly wedding on a plantation in the middle of swamp country. You can just wonder around listening to the conversations and there is some funny shit going on. You are supposed to kill the bride or groom I think... and they start off in their dressing rooms, then make their way out to the wedding area... you can poison the wedding cake, just outright massacre everybody, make a chandelier fall on their heads, etc. You can kill or incapacitate NPCs and steal their clothing, that's one way to get close to people (although they will eventually notice you are the hitman if you aren't careful.)

It's fun stuff; better if you have the patience to figure it out yourself.. but I actually have quite a bit of fun just reading guides and trying the various known ways to beat a level.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
W
Wow that’s harsh. Do you really think so? Seems overly harsh maybe.

Yeah made a youtube review about it back in 2016, I think, giving it 6/10 (Arabic review). What a shit game, and what a shit method of releasing midget levels in parts.

Well, stopped reviewing after just one month as it might not sound good for a teacher to review games, lol.

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem : Have you ever played Ghost Recon : Wildlands? I love that game; it's KINDA MGS-5 like to me.

The fate of the world depends on it!

Yeah I liked it, although AI and gameplay pretty basic, but enjoyed it and finished everything + DLC's.

IntentionalPun

Yeah I liked it, although AI and gameplay pretty basic, but enjoyed it and finished everything + DLC's.
Yeah it's pretty basic; but I liked it too.

MGS5 is in my backlog still.. I loved what I've seen / heard though. Had it recommended by a friend when I told them I was enjoying Wildlands.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah it's pretty basic; but I liked it too.

MGS5 is in my backlog still.. I loved what I've seen / heard though. Had it recommended by a friend when I told them I was enjoying Wildlands.

I'm a massive MGS fan, actually MGS5 has my record of playing for 51 hours straight, no sleep, skipping 2 days of work (got salary penalty cut later, lol) and my base was #1 in the world for 2 weeks because of that. I actually didn't understand the #1 and the crown above my nickname, sadly I didn't make a screenshot of that because I thought that meant I'm level one (then you grind to like level 99) when I was accidently on top of the food chain for buying a second base for $50 day one and playing non-stop.

Yet, I give it 9/10 and there are things, won't spoil it, that made me furious. Also content is obviously cut which gives you a confusion when trying to keep up with the story. It has the best MGS gameplay (the rest are dog shit anyway) but the shittiest story.

Dibils2k

OK, you obviously buy your shoes from Bozo's shop.

See where the pebbles stop being rendered, its the same distance from the camera, LOD is the same.

There is nothing cut off the xbox version at a certain range, so the draw distance is the same or the same as can be established with this image. Flags, hoardings all present in both versions.

And I have pointed out where VRS is blatantly in effect, and as expected you ignored them completely as it doesn't fit with your "there's no VRS" narrative.

vrs_softparticle.png

See anything familiar in this image? Such as pixels being merged, detail being lost and "squares" clearly evident.

But yeah, I don't know what VRS is.
one, even you said native resolution is lower on xbox...

two, xbox screenshot seems to have some kind of edge enhancement which causes the more "rough/squared" look, as evidenced by this foliage, and no thats not VRS at work as it close to the camera and the look is consistent everywhere else lol unless you think VRS is applied to the whole image?
foilage.png

Xbox:
xboxZoom.png

PS5:
ps5XZoom.png

finally, you are saying these are same assets and the only reason xbox looks flat is because of VRS!? :messenger_tears_of_joy: yah you dont know what VRS is

Capture.png

two, xbox screenshot seems to have some kind of edge enhancement which causes the more "rough/squared" look, as evidenced by this foliage, and no thats not VRS at work as it close to the camera and the look is consistent everywhere else lol unless you think VRS is applied to the whole image?
foilage.png

Xbox:
xboxZoom.png

PS5:
ps5XZoom.png

finally, you are saying these are same assets and the only reason xbox looks flat is because of VRS!? :messenger_tears_of_joy: yah you dont know what VRS is

Capture.png

VRS is yuuuuuck! Funny thing is, MS proudly advertising VRS on the box of XSX.

DJ12

foilage.png

Xbox:
xboxZoom.png

PS5:
ps5XZoom.png

Capture.png
So I show you a picture from Nvidia's blog explaining VRS, that shows square edges and loss of detail and you still don't accept it.

Also, I said the res was slightly lower, eg 900 vs 1080 I've not pixel counted it, it's just lower to the naked eye. (the resolution difference will certainly not account for the massive squares you will see below)

I guess the case is lost, but please as I feel like drawing on stuff too, what is going on here? (I have scaled it up 150% for the hard of seeing)

Untitled.png

Please note above the longer line, identical shape, no VRS on this part. Top line, lots of squares and los of detail, VRS working it's "magic" here. And lets not even discuss the rocks at the front eh, where the edges match, yet the detail is full of squares.

Do feel free to carry on though. Im sure you won't make yourself anymore wrong no matter what you say in addition to the above rubbish.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

So I show you a picture from Nvidia's blog explaining VRS, that shows square edges and loss of detail and you still don't accept it.

Also, I said the res was slightly lower, eg 900 vs 1080 I've not pixel counted it, it's just lower to the naked eye. (the resolution difference will certainly not account for the massive squares you will see below)

I guess the case is lost, but please as I feel like drawing on stuff too, what is going on here? (I have scaled it up 150% for the hard of seeing)

Untitled.png

Please note above the longer line, identical shape, no VRS on this part. Top line, lots of squares and los of detail, VRS working it's "magic" here. And lets not even discuss the rocks at the front eh, where the edges match, yet the detail is full of squares.

Do feel free to carry on though. Im sure you won't make yourself anymore wrong no matter what you say in addition to the above rubbish.
but that doesnt explain why the things at the front also have jagged edges and squares...

thats why its not VRS and is just lower assets/settings

unless you think VRS is applied so poorly that the thing thats front and centre also gets VRS applied to it? lol (car here for example)

Capture.png

Last edited:

Lot of shit!

DXR is not a problem for PS5. GNMX converts DX11/12 code to native GNM. GNMX+ certain do the same thing. Watch Dogs Legions has good Ray Tracing implementation on PS5 with XSX/PC DXR.

And when he talks about resolution.. common. Xbox Series S are running this game on 1080p and it's no problem to have Ray Tracing implementation. Why should PS5 has some problem with 1800p?

DJ12

but that doesnt explain why the things at the front also have jagged edges and squares...

unless you think VRS is applied so poorly that the thing thats front and centre also gets VRS applied to it? lol (car here for example)

Capture.png
Vrs is selective. If it was lower settings it would all look the same but it doesn't as clearly shown. Some textures in the image just look lower res than the ps5 version some have massive squares which is exactly what vrs does and is doing here.

Is barely noticeable in res or quality mode as the pixels are far smaller. Vrs just isn't suitable for such a low resolution.

Last edited:
Lot of shit!

DXR is not a problem for PS5. GNMX converts DX11/12 code to native GNM. GNMX+ certain do the same thing with DX12U for GNM+. Watch Dogs Legions has good Ray Tracing implementation on PS5 with XSX/PC DXR.

And when he talks about resolution.. common. Xbox Series S are running this game on 1080p and it's no problem to have Ray Tracing implementation. Why should PS5 has some problem with 1800p?

Last edited:

Allandor

Capture.png
VRS should only be applied to parts of the screen that are "invisible" (due to darkness) or that are not in the focus (e.g. if you drive fast and everything around you get's blurred). And btw, it is just "Variable Rate Shading" it should not affect asset quality, only shaders that are applied over the object.
You should not notice it on still images if they weren't made while the most part of the image is blurred (like when driving fast).
Yes, developers can implement it, how they like, but than it is just implemented the wrong way. But again, like Dibils2k Dibils2k pointed out, over and over again, it does not affect asset quality.

VRS is also nothing new (or xbox exclusive). It was first implemented by nvidia with their Turing lineup (may even be in the capabilities of the switch). MS just standardized it for Directx so developers can broadly implement it. But as we can already see with DX12 & Vulkan, things need their time to get implemented and used well.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

foilage.png

Xbox:
xboxZoom.png

PS5:
ps5XZoom.png

Capture.png
images

Lot of shit!

DXR is not a problem for PS5. GNMX converts DX11/12 code to native GNM. GNMX+ certain do the same thing with DX12U for GNM+. Watch Dogs Legions has good Ray Tracing implementation on PS5 with XSX/PC DXR.

GNMX was designed for inexperienced indie devs coming over from a PC exclusive development background. The DX ---> GNM translation layer has a significant performance cost.

If IO Interactive, a AAA game developer are using GNMX on PS5 for Hitman 3, it more than explains the underperformance. They should be using GNM for a project of this scale, without question. Using GNMX would be an epic fail! It would be like trying to compete in the Tour de France on a children's bike with training wheels.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

For Pachinkos.
They have recent successful games... they are not ditching gaming in it's entirety. Just largely mobile plus stuff like Switch gams, yearly games like PES, etc.

Which isn't really anything new, it's what they've been doing.. and are now re-organizing to reflect that.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
They have recent successful games... they are not ditching gaming in it's entirety. Just largely mobile plus stuff like Switch gams, yearly games like PES, etc.

Which isn't really anything new, it's what they've been doing.. and are now re-organizing to reflect that.

Winning Eleven, aka PES, was the dominant football game around here between PS1-PS3 era, then FIFA/EA dominated with its garbage gameplay that's slower than real life. Now I stopped playing football game, I was a legend in my neighborhood and still can bust my friends like a veteran. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: Spending endless hours practicing.

I'm a shit footballer overall so had to compensate digitally, although I won North of Virginia schools championship while in last 2 games we were all fasting, winning 9-1 semi-final and 8-0 in the final and been 3rd best player. Funnily I had a scholarship offer that my friends in Oman laughed their asses off when they knew about, but I preferred going back to Oman with my family.

I think football has improved in the US since 2004, talking about schools and so.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Winning Eleven, aka PES, was the dominant football game around here between PS1-PS3 era, then FIFA/EA dominated with its garbage gameplay that's slower than real life. Now I stopped playing football game, I was a legend in my neighborhood and still can bust my friends like a veteran. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: Spending endless hours practicing.

I'm a shit footballer overall so had to compensate digitally, although I won North of Virginia schools championship while in last 2 games we were all fasting, winning 9-1 semi-final and 8-0 in the final and been 3rd best player. Funnily I had a scholarship offer that my friends in Oman laughed their asses off when they knew about, but I preferred going back to Oman with my family.

I think football has improved in the US since 2004, I guess, talking about schools and so.

I'm the first from the left, up (#30): :messenger_winking_tongue:

pic3.gif

With the trophy, lol.

pic2.gif

It was a Saudi school in Alexandria, VA. Closed in 2016. Been there between 2002-2004 though (11th-12th grades).

FrankWza

I think football has improved in the US since 2004, I guess, talking about schools and so.
Pes was so much better than fifa. Same thing happened when ea took over the nfl license and 2k stopped making games. On the other hand, ea had the best baseball game of all time that stopped being produced as well for similar licensing deals and whatever.

Mikey Jr.

I'm starting tsushima now for the first time on PS5.

You guys think I should start this game now, or is it reasonable to think there will be a proper PS5 version. Whatever "proper" means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom