• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imtjnotu

MI4O.gif

FrankWza

If you’re willing to sacrifice HDMI 2.1 the Sony A8H beats the CX in everything else. I spent an hour side by side with control over settings and content at my awesome local indie shop, the Sony just looks better especially colours and black/off vs near-black/on pixels. I am very happy with the A8H paired with the PS5.

thats a big sacrifice. And doesnt LG produce the panels in the Sony Oled? Either way, that’s not a comparison. You would need to have both displays side by side with everything equal in order to determine one being superior to the other.

ethomaz

Banned
Just be real. Guys like that are exactly the same as this Tom guy you all love to hate. Only difference is that one is doing his actual job and the other is just an attention whore.
I agree Tom is only doing it for attention whore.
While Matt helped to build the PS5 "most powerful console".

Being serious now... the Tom article is not what I can call Job.
It is basically a PR defense control.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
We heard the "dev kits were later than Sony" thing since like... last year... the rumor was PS5 dev kits were late and a bunch of "insiders" debunked it.

What the dirt dev said didn't even contradict that; and in fact.. he basically confirms it.

He also praised the stability and availability of tools compared to last gen.. but none of that contradicts the other rumors that Sony's kits came many months before Microsofts.

The real point here is nobody knows either way if any of this will mean XSX will improve more than PS5 will. Sony's SDKs, APIs and tools can improve over time as well. Sony's product is performing better at launch... the rest is just speculation.

TheGejsza

If you’re willing to sacrifice HDMI 2.1 the Sony A8H beats the CX in everything else. I spent an hour side by side with control over settings and content at my awesome local indie shop, the Sony just looks better especially colours and black/off vs near-black/on pixels. I am very happy with the A8H paired with the PS5.

There’s always trade-offs after all.

You lose:
ALLM to switch TV to game mode and prioritize input lag. Samsung TVs murder picture quality to achieve this alas.
(if you have a Sony TV & PS4/5 they do this de facto)

Can you elaborate on ALLM and how samsung kills Image quality? Or give some links? Can't find anything about ALLM

Just be real. Guys like that are exactly the same as this Tom guy you all love to hate. Only difference is that one is doing his actual job and the other is just an attention whore.
Except... one of them was actually an engineer working on one of the next gen consoles and has deep knowledge on the subject, while the other is a glorified astroturfer.

I'll let you figure out which one is which :messenger_tears_of_joy:

thats a big sacrifice. And doesnt LG produce the panels in the Sony Oled? Either way, that’s not a comparison. You would need to have both displays side by side with everything equal in order to determine one being superior to the other.
I don't really think it's that much of a sacrifice. Once cross-gen support is done, you can kiss 120hz games goodbye. We may get a handful of titles here and there that support 120 in the future, but it's back to the focus of 30/60. VRR is also supported on 2.0. Also, yes, LG does produce the panels that Sony buys, but Sony has a far superior image processor. Many reviews support this.

ethomaz

Banned
Can you elaborate on ALLM and how samsung kills Image quality? Or give some links? Can't find anything about ALLM
ALLM is a feature that turn on automatically the Game Mode... so it indeed remove all the image processing TVs do to make the image better in favor of better display lag.

Last edited:
ALLM isn't really anything special. It just makes sure the TV is in its game mode. Full-array local-dimming sets usually suffer from game mode. This is due to image processing being cut down in order to prioritize input lag. This typically means full-array sets lose out on contrast. Some manufactures do it better than others. Sony has usually done well in game mode and I know Samsung has made some firmware updates that improve their image quality in game mode. OLED doesn't suffer in image quality while in game mode due to the self-emitting nature. The potential for burn-in is a whole other story. Just make sure you're doing research before you buy.

kyliethicc

Its a useless feature. It just puts the TV into game mode for you.

The PS4 does not support ALLM but when I plugged my PS4 Pro into my TV, it recognized it was a PS4 and asked me if I wanted to enable game mode. Now it just keeps it on all the time for that HDMI input. Simple.

FrankWza

I don't really think it's that much of a sacrifice. Once cross-gen support is done, you can kiss 120hz games goodbye. We may get a handful of titles here and there that support 120 in the future, but it's back to the focus of 30/60. VRR is also supported on 2.0. Also, yes, LG does produce the panels that Sony buys, but Sony has a far superior image processor. Many reviews support this.
30/60? Shit, I hope not. As far as I know about the lg can Sony processor, I thought the Sony handled movies better because of post effects and lg didn’t have those which made it better for gaming because less lag was present since there was nothing added to help the imaging like on the Sony.

30/60? Shit, I hope not. As far as I know about the lg can Sony processor, I thought the Sony handled movies better because of post effects and lg didn’t have those which made it better for gaming because less lag was present since there was nothing added to help the imaging like on the Sony.
Sony's focus is to be more of a boutique movie going experience when it comes to the highest-end sets. It's not so much post processing effects as much as it is making sure it produces the original intent of the director. Input lag is low but not as low as LG. I'm sure if Sony wanted to they could release a firmware update to get it even lower in game mode. Still an overall great experience either way.

Just rewatched Road To PS5 (it's like 6th time now lol), and everytime i notice something new i missed in my last view (i mean there is quite some stuffs in this video)

It make me think, i wonder if the what we seen in Dirt 5 have something to do with Cache Scrubbers :pie_thinking:

What do you mean?

I know the basics behind cache scrubbers. Just want to know what you think it's really affecting in the game.

SSfox

What do you mean?

I know the basics behind cache scrubbers. Just want to know what you think it's really affecting in the game.

From what i understand (if i'm not wrong) Cache Scrubbers were added to PS5 to avoid hurting GPU performances when there is some data stuffs going on. (not sure which one exactly, transfer data or comparess data ect), so that may be the reason there's some big differences in some shots in Dirt 5, not 100% sure tho just speculating

There is so much into the I/O unit, i personally never considered how bottlenecks can affect this much game development, and Mark Cerny seems understood that and literally did everything to remove all of them, and it's something never done before on any console now thinking about it, which was not either that easy thing to do, but seems to achieve it?!!

Last edited:
From what i understand (if i'm not wrong) Cache Scrubbers were added to PS5 to avoid hurting GPU performances when there is some data stuffs going on. (not sure which one exactly, transfer data or comparess data ect), so that may be the reason there's some big differences in some shots in Dirt 5, not 100% sure tho just speculating

There is so much into the I/O unit, i personally never considered how bottlenecks can affect this much game development, and Mark Cerny seems understood that and literally did everything to remove all of them, and it's something never done before on any console now thinking about it, which was not either that easy thing to do, but seems to achieve it?!!
The cache on the PS5 is unified,this brings speed and efficiency to the GPU and CPU, unified cache eliminates the duplication of data normally held in the cache.Cache scrubbers allows you to eliminate only the data you need to remove and keep the rest.

TLZ

Banned
I lost the link, but did you guys see? ACV is getting an update with several fixed and the introduction of image quality / performance modes. :)
Does it only have one mode? I thought it already has two.

Edit: Nevermind, just saw the other thread.

Last edited:
From my basic understanding, GPU caching is many times inefficient when compared to CPU caching, and as a result the GPU is hitting the memory much more frequently. This hurts bandwidth which in turn hurts performance. GPU cache scrubbers improve caching efficiency which means less bandwidth hogging.

The real question here is, are the GPU cache scrubbers sort of like infinity cache? Someone here with more knowledge will have to explain.

HoofHearted

Nah, you don't switch to different tools mid-game, that would be suicide for the game this scale.

Perhaps higher quality textures then.. ;)

Kidding aside - it is very interesting the size difference in patches (for X|S vs PS5 - nearly double)...

It will be interesting to see if DF and other sites do a follow-up and if the previously noted issues have been addressed... as well as if there are any true notable performance improvements...

sinnergy

Just rewatched Road To PS5 (it's like 6th time now lol), and everytime i notice something new i missed in my last view (i mean there is quite some stuffs in this video)

It make me think, i wonder if the what we seen in Dirt 5 have something to do with Cache Scrubbers :pie_thinking:
Who watches that vid 6 times 🤣 don’t you have a Ps5? Proof in your home? It was all PR. In games it can be anything.

From my basic understanding, GPU caching is many times inefficient when compared to CPU caching, and as a result the GPU is hitting the memory much more frequently. This hurts bandwidth which in turn hurts performance. GPU cache scrubbers improve caching efficiency which means less bandwidth hogging.

The real question here is, are the GPU cache scrubbers sort of like infinity cache? Someone here with more knowledge will have to explain.
From what I understand, the GPU has several caches. If a part of one of the caches changes, that cache needs to be flushed and the GPU has to refetch data. The cache scrubbers only invalidates a part of the cache, thus requiring less refetching. Better utilization of bandwidth (memory and cache). Someone in invalidate my post, if I am wrong 😁

I’ll preface this scenario by saying it’s HIGHLY unlikely but can you IMAGINE if the Series X version of Valhalla actually ran better than the PS5 version after this patch? Has a forum ever spontaneously combusted before? 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom