• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sircaw

Banned
4QYcEqs.jpg
That's some quick skills, holy hell lol
However, computer STILL SAYS NO.

kebaldo

I mean, there's logic to your argument, but we're talking about a service that very specifically can affect to Sony's software sales or their own services in a broad scale. And if you counter that percentage with what Sony would make from their very own services or software sales, that's why I don't quite see it happening. I mean, we've all seen strange, but this, as of now, I think I'm gonna stand my ground and say that is very unlikely to happen.

(And don't worry, english is not my first language either, so we'll make it work whatever way we may)
I understand your point of view. It would be funny to come back at the end of the next generation and see what we got right and what we got wrong, thins entire thread will be a funny time capsule to look back at :messenger_grinning_squinting:

THE:MILKMAN

Seems in line with what Cerny told during the presention, that back in 2017 he learned about kraken and decided to put hardware on the APU to support that.

I think Mark used the word 'Hustled' in Road to PS5. Mark must've felt changing their solution to Kraken that late was worth it. Another thing this shows is what is considered "very late" in the design process. Very few understand the lead times of tech development. Late 2017 was very late to switch to Kraken as late 2017 would have been when the paper specs were decided upon (~2 years into development).

SaucyJack

The most crazy thing about this new gen so far is this truly desperate idea that exclusive games are 'anti-consumer' and cross-gen policy is being on the 'side of the gamers'.

When PS4 was announced, if Sony came out and said thete'd be no 1st party exclusive games for the first one or two years I would have been aghast, I wouldn't have defended it. As there were too many cross gen PS3 games out there already to enjoy if you wanted that. 'But of course you'd claim that you're a Sony fan' yes I'm a Sony fan but fuck off, no way would I have kept quiet about my displeasure. Same if PS5 came with cross gen policy, I would actively campaign (well not physically with a placard hanging over my neck outside Sony's offices) to get them to change.

When you buy a new product, especially when it's something to replace something that in technological terms is ancient, 8 years old, you expect to play things on it that offer a clean break of experience from the old. You don't need or should want another 2 years extension to the dated hardware's life by giving it all experiences at the highest end. Well it'd be ok to want that if this had no impact on the new gen. But it does (and we can go over the technical reasons why only to be met with the obtuse 'PC games have scaled for years....')

What gets me is the Xbox fans, in almost unaminity, are defending this policy and suddenly the way that console gens have operated since forever is a problem. I've not seen a single voice of displeasure. What's going on? Let's be real, MS' policy is motivated purely by making money from as many potential customers as possible, not because they're your friend.

Agree. Also worth mentioning that Sony supported PS3 with quality exclusives right up to launch of PS4 and are supporting PS4 right up to launch of PS5.

DaGwaphics

There are positive things to say about both strategies. One believes making a clear distinction between generation will push gaming forward, great. The other believes in letting people play new games on the older consoles, also great.

There is no real right or wrong here, but depending on which company people support they'll try to find some so they can feed their own insecurity.

Agreed. Both sides will move forward in the way that best fits their approach. Sony doesn't mind resetting the clock to zero every 6 or 7 years, while Microsoft is probably looking to make this the last generation they "start" with no more hard resets.

Vaztu

Its funny that we have been talking about cross-gen holding us back since yesterday

Now, we get Yan Chernikov, ex-EA dev and current game engine dev (his own, called Hazel), saying the same thing. Mind you he means cross-gen when he says backwards compatible.

Timestamped. Please watch till 25:09.

Then, we have Mike Ybarra say similar stuff. He is VP of Blizzard.
DlYyLdn.png

For gamers, Sony's policy of PS5 only exclusives is a great thing.

Last edited:

IkarugaDE

Its funny that we have been talking about cross-gen holding us back since yesterday

Now, we get Yan Chernikov, ex-EA dev and current game engine dev (his own, called Hazel), saying the same thing. Mind you he means cross-gen when he says backwards compatible.

DlYyLdn.png

Do not understand this discussion anyway. What MS plans is completely new in console history. In the past we had remastered or BC, but only few games came out cross gen (and only during the transit-time from last to the new gen). Most devs gave a shit on the last gen.

I really understand people want BC and hate remastered stuff like we had during the actual gen, but why the hell someone has problems with sonys choice of a fast transit to next gen? IMO that people are MS fanboys searching for something SX is better or they only think it is bad cause MS goes another way.

Last edited:
It would be like music streaming.

User has gamepass - each time the run a game through Sony's service, Sony get's a royalty. Might be based on time the game is active or launches - that's contract detail.
Well, that mostly reinforces my thinking that is not a good idea for Sony, music streaming and royalties, I know them too well and fuck me, what a scam.

Now, I know that would be up to the specific contract, obviously, but music streaming is a delicate matter for me :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ToadMan

The perception online already is that Xbox Series X is another half step console (because of support for One X and One) whereas PS5 is true next gen.

This of course is not accurate yet that weird perception thing seems to be hindering Microsoft again.

Also if you dont believe me, go read the comments on the Eurogamer article regarding this topic.

Not just that - what is it with MS and the number 2?

xbox -> xbox 360 -> xbox 1 -> xbox 1 x -> xbox series x

Why make it so difficult for the average consumer to work out whether they're looking at a new revision or just a midlife step. No wonder people are confused.

Couple that with MS lack of next gen games and talking up BC and cross gen titles.... seems like MS don't want a next gen at all.

ToadMan

Well, that mostly reinforces my thinking that is not a good idea for Sony, music streaming and royalties, I know them too well and fuck me, what a scam.

Now, I know that would be up to the specific contract, obviously, but music streaming is a delicate matter for me :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Ah I'm not gonna say its a good model either. But its the way things are going - I don't see why games should be different.

What worries me if this stuff ends up like Netflix - you're happily playing a game only for it to disappear from the service due to some rights issue on the other side of the world!

Ah I'm not gonna say its a good model either. But its the way things are going - I don't see why games should be different.

What worries me if this stuff ends up like Netflix - you're happily playing a game only for it to disappear from the service due to some rights issue on the other side of the world!
Yeah, is too volatile in that regard.

Last edited:

zubairali2

DlYyLdn.png

for me, i dont understand why people would complain about buying a next gen console and not having to play those games for last gen.

its next generation for a reason, we only move forward.

husomc

No idea Im new to this site but with my own personal experences, E3 always feels like the Stanley Cup playoffs and console launches feel like christmas just full of excitement in the air with my friends and I and waiting to see the games etc.

In line with your analogy, a console launch year will be similar to a world cup year.

yewles1

The problem is not the GPU scaling, its not the pixels, its not the terraflopies, its not framerate, not even the SSD.

The issue is Zen 2 vs Jaguar, one is more than 10 x more powerful,. one is a beast, one is a toaster controller.

If games are made for Jaguar, then all zen 2 can do is do fast framerates and sit twiddling its thumbs. Maybe thats why Phil is pushing 120 FPS....

When you enter an area, and the 5 enemies spawn with limited animations and AI and do scripted predictable things, you can thank Jaguar. PC runs it faster, but its still a game designed for a toaster CPU.

That same game as Zen 2 designed games might have 10 or 15 enemies, all different not just reskins or a different colour, all different animations, smarter AI (or actually have intelligence), so many movements and actions

Jaguar needs to die already, current gen needs to stop, now.

Jaguar limits games with 10 % of what you could have and is a shackle around any games ambitions.
I wonder how many of you sort of regret saying the same thing about Cell that you're now saying about Jaguar?

geordiemp

I wonder how many of you sort of regret saying the same thing about Cell that you're now saying about Jaguar?

I switched to X360 during that generation for all multiplats, and had a ps3 for the handful of first party stuff who went that extra miles to make cell work,

This gen I switched back after seeing the original Xb1 design, made me ill it was terrible.

Next gen I want next gen games.

Last edited:

ToadMan

the difference is that Xbox did not have many exclusives to begin with and many people (especially the last 2 years) joined xbox family. It makes sense for them have something to offer these people.

on the other hand, we already know at least 2 Xbox series x exclusives from other studios so they can justify their choices.

So lets cut to the chase - xb1 sold badly mostly because it lacked good exclusives. So giving BC to that lacklustre library is worth sacrificing a new gen for? That's what MS are about to do.

The 3rd party exclusives we know about so far (all 2 of them) will never justify a purchase of xsex. People may well buy it - but those games won't sell it, something else will.

Sooo i've finally catched up on all posts.
I would love if we could stop making fun of twitter posts finally.
I think this whole "look what xyz posted" stuff really derails this thread and degrades the speculation thread a whole lot.
Please let us stop interpreting MS Twitter/News posts in petty ways.
Also please make sure you read those twitter posts and check the twitter user handles before posting them here. If it is a parody account please be so kind to say so directly so other people won't take it for something real.

Even as a big sony fan this thread is way to heavy in sonys favor. I don't want this to be some "xsx/ms discord channel" type of thread.

Last edited:
Honestly now, if I see that "representative of PS5 gameplay and graphics" slapped at the bottom of videos, I am going to slap Sony around, at least in here.

That shit is unbecoming.

Didn't Jeff Grubb say that Sony is trying to make sure that doesn't happen?

I really hope that's true because I want to see games on the actual system and not a high end PC (no offense intended Xbox).

saintjules

So how many more events after Thursday do you think Sony will have until we arrive at launch?

Prediction:
July - Hardware Teardown? - Maybe price and pre-order goes live if not announced at Thursday's event
August - State of Play to potentially finalize PS5 lineup and release date of the Console?
September/October - Final push until release

Maybe I missed something that might have been talked about already. I think a monthly approach either way would be sensible.

FranXico

To be precise. He is only credited on one iOS NFS game and basically everything he shown from his own engine is simple 2D stuff. I wouldn't call myself "game engine developer" with that amount of experience.

Hazel rendering in 3D.

This isn't a student with aspirations to becoming a developer who engages in twitter flame wars, he actually worked for the industry.

BTW, optimizing game engine code on embedded devices is difficult and requires a lot of skill. If you're trying to use his iOS experience to discredit him, you've achieved the opposite.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom