• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jemm

I guess smart delivery really only benefits xss then and seems so far only supported on a handful of games. Not sure why this was hyped up so much, unless I'm missing something.
It also works across generations.

Say, you buy a cross-gen game [that supports Smart Delivery] and have One X, XSS and XSX. You can install the game on each, with their own assets and pay for it once.

All the saves are synchronized across all the consoles automatically, when you switch between the consoles. If you want, you can continue the same game on xCloud (if it is supported) and the progression is also synced.

roops67

I see they've added volumetric boob shaders
PhEyQ4v.png

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I would have to check the download of one of the "shrinkable" games onto a Series S specifically, maybe if you just download it straight onto Series S it might download less, I've not tested that. However not many games actually give you the option to shrink them, Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4 do off the top of my head.
I've played Gears 5 from my expansion card on both Series X and Series S so the original larger download works on both machines.
Yes this happens on games that support it. 'I've done it.
Edit I know this for sure as when I transferred XSX I had to download additional files.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
The more I see of Returnal, the more I'm liking the look of it. Buuuut... that £70 price tag is putting me off.
Yeah, I hear you. I'm sure I'll end up getting it anyway eventually so I'll probably just do it. It DOES look really cool and I've really liked HouseMarque in the past for how tight and responsive the shooters are. If they can make this 3rd person game control like their others....it could be really special. But we'll see.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The more I see of Returnal, the more I'm liking the look of it. Buuuut... that £70 price tag is putting me off.
the latest trailer looks good but yeah it shouldve been a $40 game like miles or uncharted lost legacy.

or better yet, just give it away for free like they did resogun at the PS4 launch for all PS+ subs. Way better than getting oddworld or fucking destruction allstars as a freebie, and would take the sting out of MLB the show going on gamepass this month.

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
the latest trailer looks good but yeah it shouldve been a $40 game like miles or uncharted lost legacy.

or better yet, just give it away for free like they did resogun at the PS4 launch for all PS+ subs. Way better than getting oddworld or fucking destruction allstars as a freebie, and would take the sting out of MLB the show going on gamepass this month.
Why would they sell a new game for less than what they were charging last gen? Not sure if serious post.

Sinthor

Gold Member

Well, I don't know. For it to be a $40 game it would need to be a shorter, more compact experience for sure. They keep saying that this IS a AAA game though. If that's true, I have no problem with the pricing. I think maybe it's that we haven't seen enough of it to show it really IS a AAA game maybe? I don't know. More showing of the story elements perhaps? Well, we shall see. If I do buy it for $70 and it DOES turn out to be some shorter experience that isn't like a typical AAA game, I might be disappointed. But if the gameplay itself is really good, even that scenario I wouldn't be TOO disappointed.

I'm very curious about this game to see how it ends up and what kind of experience it really is.

ethomaz

Banned
Being able to finally use external HDs/SSDs as cold storage for PS5 games is huge, no more need to delete to free space and have to redownload again later if you want to play it again. Slow connections and data caps were a big problem.
Ohhhh I though that was a lack of feature not a big issue.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Being able to finally use external HDs/SSDs as cold storage for PS5 games is huge, no more need to delete to free space and have to redownload again later if you want to play it again. Slow connections and data caps were a big problem.
Sure but ain't that mostly a 3rd world problem?Wait ..... is there data caps in the us?I mean places where the only offers are limited in data?

Neo Blaster

Sure but ain't that mostly a 3rd world problem?Wait ..... is there data caps in the us?I mean places where the only offers are limited in data?
I didn't know PS5 was being sold exclusively on countries with good internet connection availability...wait, it's not!!

Regarding data caps, it's kinda funny you say it's a 3rd world problem, considering that here in Brazil they are non-existent cause they are forbidden by the government, while in USA they are an issue.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I didn't know PS5 was being sold exclusively on countries with good internet connection availability...wait, it's not!!

Regarding data caps, it's kinda funny you say it's a 3rd world problem, considering that here in Brazil they are non-existent cause they are forbidden by the government, while in USA they are a issue.
Shit .... no wonder why people are against cloud gaming and large gamesizes.I think datacaps has disappeared in France in something like late 90's early 2000's.And I thought that was the case basically everywhere.
And sure ps5 is available everywhere but I feel it is a problem on all platforms.

DaGwaphics

The basic broadband package over coax (the most readily available) is generally between 100 - 200mbit with no cap in the US ($50 - $70/mo.). It's rough to keep downloading 100GB games over and over again at those speeds.

Upgrades exist, but on coax prices for 400, 800, 1200mbit plans are often very high and not fully guaranteed. If you are in an area that has fiber laid down you have better options. Even though I'm in an area with Fios available, the HOA doesn't allow them to make connections inside my community, instead limiting connections to just one coax provider. This is a very common problem.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
The basic broadband package over coax (the most readily available) is generally between 100 - 200mbit with no cap in the US ($50 - $70/mo.). It's rough to keep downloading 100GB games over and over again at those speeds.

Upgrades exist, but on coax prices for 400, 800, 1200mbit plans are often very high and not fully guaranteed. If you are in an area that has fiber laid down you have better options. Even though I'm in an area with Fios available, the HOA doesn't allow them to make connections inside my community, instead limiting connections to just one coax provider. This is a very common problem.
Shit isn't there antitrust laws that can prevent those problems?

Returnal better be 60fps solid. Not happy with this VRR waiting game.

Does Sony have their own TVs which have working a VRR type feature already on PS5? I thought I heard something like that...which would piss me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom