• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBF, Horizon doesnt look like a traditional cross gen game like AC Black Flag, Destiny, MGSV, and Watch Dogs. It looks a whole lot better than the PS4 horizon. It seems they are redoing all the visuals at the very least. All that wildlife eco system, so a whole lot of work seems to have gone into making it look better. i have no idea how they will get that ported down to the jaguar cores.

I am curious to see if it will have flying in the PS5 version and if that will get cut in the PS4 version.

yeah at the very least Sony’s cross gen games really do go above and beyond to look better for next gen

no clue how GG is going to deal with all the loading issues on base PS4, maybe they found a way to scale even better

Well whether you like them or not is kinda beside the point. MS isn't the only one doing it either; Ubisoft and EA are certainly AAA. And they aren't doing this to make less money.

I personally think Sony could make an absolute killing with a day-one sub model... at some point they'll be one of the only major pubs not buying into the idea so that'll be interesting lol
Doesn't Gears 5 have microtransactions? The userbase was pretty angry with that at the time.
Plus, yeah, they got Halo and Forza, while Infinite isn't looking good at all.
Honestly, there is no such thing right now that let me believe in a Gamepass blockbusters stream of quality. Could be MS teams, or MS management, or Gamepass target, or all the three, or none of that maybe. But I wouldn't be so sure, let's see how good the new exclusives from MS are, let's see how much it's willing to bet on those subscrictions to create not only "big" games, but great games and a lot of them.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I own the SHP9500 myself. Great open-back headphone. Wondering how well the DualSense will power higher-end headphones.

9500 + V-Moda Boompro = something better than the vast majority "gaming branded" headsets

For those wondering how well the 9500 sound, I would say the punch well above their asking price. Mids and highs are great, but don't expect strength in the lows since they are completely open-back. Soundstage is killer as well.

Yup I run the same mic.

I picked those Philips up for $50 one time and I think far away the best sub maybe even $200 sounding cans I have ever used well worth their current $75 ish on amazon.

Great sounding mic as well btw.

Well thanks thats all cool. PC doesn't matter to me, as I was comparing consoles. And yeah they're bascially giving away a lot of the games from PS Now or PS Plus as you said. Its still a great idea.

I missed some of those free games over the years and its a nice perk.

Take a look here:

It is significantly better than you think. They also have a ton of back compat games in there.

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-game-pass/games

The head of Sony Interactive confirmed that the PS5 does not support backward compatibility with the original PlayStation, PS2, and PS3

NOOOOOO!!!!
(We all knew this was true)

Can that one be modded for A Song of Ice and Fire theme/world stuff? I've seen someone playing a Crusader Kings ASOIAF game on youtube and it looked fun.

Will be done in the near term. They updated mechanics to really lean into family trees so the modders have to recut it a bit. Luckily Paradox gave them early looks and tools to guide them.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Doesn't Gears 5 have microtransactions? The userbase was pretty angry with that at the time.
Plus, yeah, they got Halo and Forza, while Infinite isn't looking good at all.
Honestly, there is no such thing right now that let me believe in a Gamepass blockbusters stream of quality. Could be MS teams, or MS management, or Gamepass target, or all the three, or none of that maybe. But I wouldn't be so sure, let's see how good the new exclusives from MS are, let's see how much it's willing to bet on those subscrictions to create not only "big" games, but great games and a lot of them.
Infinite looks terrible but my point was about budget, not game quality.

MS is creating massive teams to create games for GamePass along with funding all the smaller projects.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I hate my SteelSeries Arctis 7's. The battery life is piss poor.

How are the HyperX's. I always hear good things about them? What other cans do you own?
I have the HyperX Cloud IIs, lightweight, good sound, good price. They were updated to fully work with the PS4 after I bought them, had to update the firmware to version 10 but that was a while back. I'd use them over my Astro A40 TRs any day (though I do like the Astro mixamp).

Anchovie123

I just realized you can see the crescent falchion in this screen as well as the black skeletal ninja :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: Good times.

EiG4_9bXgAAuowb

Infinite looks terrible but my point was about budget, not game quality.
True, but actually this open another topic.
How budget is used for a Gamepass blockbuster?
Halo Infinite gonna be gaas or something like that, and that's because it needs to sell subscriptions for a long, long time. So, how much money are invested in making what the game will be at D1, and how much to keep it going? GaaS can be big budget, but how that budget is divided? They aren't exactly known for quality which, true, is not exactly the point but at the end of the day the problem could be Gamepass influencing the way games are made and not in a good way.

LED Guy?

Banned
i mean its 120 FPS ! Just looks worse than PS3 tittle :D
I will stick with 30 FPS on everything like always. If it stable i don't mind.
OK so it’s at 120 FPS on a GPU that’s 3.5 times as fast as PlayStation 4 GPU (yes the PlayStation FOUR), so a PS4 version running the same game at 30 FPS 1080p will look better than Series S graphically because PS4 GPU at 30 FPS > 120 FPS on Series S GPU.

That sucks, and they say it doesn’t “hold back” LMAO!!

Have you read how Spider-Man on PS4 is being remastered? Its more than just an upres and shows the differences we can expect for that + Miles games vs PS4 Spider-man. I would hope Guerrilla is doing similar for HFW.

60 FPS, likely 4K
new character models, new facial animation
new art assets
ray traced reflections and shadows
more NPCs vehicles, better world density and life
instant loading
3d audio
DualSense haptics

Not bad for a cross gen version. Still held back of course.
Not worried about this game. It makes sense to stay cross gen as this is not a complete sequel. I am worried about HFW. That game shouldn't be cross gen. They probably should have pushed Demon's Souls to be cross gen instead as it has nothing to lose from design side. It's just a graphical upgrade.

Neo Blaster

Si. Only virgil for $5 will be available to the original owners. Everything else, not coming to the original game and no upgrade path for people who purchased the original.
Damn, Capcom went full 505. Who would say they would be worse than Activision and Take Two regarding nasty consumer practices?

Mr Moose

Few things:

The PS Plus collection is just former PS+ free games all available again. These aren't being added to a service they are effectively making games they gave away on PS4 for free if you were a sub free again. They never indicated that new games will be added or first party will go on day and date.
Wait when did we get Days Gone, God of War, MHW, Persona 5 and FFXV on PS+ or is my mind really really dog shit? (It is, but...)

sircaw

Banned
I just realized you can see the crescent falchion in this screen as well as the black skeletal ninja :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: Good times.

EiG4_9bXgAAuowb

As someone who has never played demon souls, is it possible to make a bow build and complete the game like that, Or is it strictly melee weapons.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Damn, Capcom went full 505. Who would say they would be worse than Activision and Take Two regarding nasty consumer practices?

Capcom has done this in this past with DMC but not at this price point. Normally the SE is $20. Which doesn't feel gross because there's usually a lot of new content with it. This time around it's virgil and new Native support for next gen at $40.

Its not great.

HAL-01

Not worried about this game. It makes sense to stay cross gen as this is not a complete sequel. I am worried about HFW. That game shouldn't be cross gen. They probably should have pushed Demon's Souls to be cross gen instead as it has nothing to lose from design side. It's just a graphical upgrade.
my hope is that they will be spending extra resources on HFW to make significantly different PS5 and PS4 versions, then pitting them against each other as a proof of concept of the PS5's capabilities. A comparison where the same game is just vastly superior on PS5 would sell a lot of people on it.

Wait when did we get Days Gone, God of War, MHW, Persona 5 and FFXV on PS+ or is my mind really really dog shit? (It is, but...)

Days Gone: New (edited)
Persona 5 doesn't look like it was free but was on sale on the PS store this summer for $7
FFXV: New. Gamepass has a ton more: Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII: Remastered, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XV, as well as the aforementioned Final Fantasy X: HD Remastered and Final Fantasy X-2: HD Remastered.
God of War: New
MH World: New also on game pass

Last edited:
Got a PS5 DE from Submarino + R$ 100 cashback and I won't even have to worry about Correios screwing delivery, I'll get it at the nearest Americanas from my house for free on November 20th, maybe even on launch day.

Congrats for your purchase.

Not sure If there will be more avaliable

I could ore orde one but Part of me says its too much for a gaming system and I should be more patient and wait.

But I suppose its a magical thing having a New console right from its release day

EiG4_9bXgAAuowb
We all know the Souls games don't sell as much as other games because not everyone enjoys them, but I wouldn't be surprised if this game sells just because the way it looks. I'm still impressed.

Can that one be modded for A Song of Ice and Fire theme/world stuff? I've seen someone playing a Crusader Kings ASOIAF game on youtube and it looked fun.
The 2nd one could, this one just came out. Has been getting amazing reviews, I've been kneedeep in it. Pulled me away from getting the plat on GoT to be honest. But they have confirmed they're working on a ASOIAF mod for this new one.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
True, but actually this open another topic.
How budget is used for a Gamepass blockbuster?
Halo Infinite gonna be gaas or something like that, and that's because it needs to sell subscriptions for a long, long time. So, how much money are invested in making what the game will be at D1, and how much to keep it going? GaaS can be big budget, but how that budget is divided? They aren't exactly known for quality which, true, is not exactly the point but at the end of the day the problem could be Gamepass influencing the way games are made and not in a good way.
Well they claim the single player campaign is as long as Halo 4 and 5 combined..

So whether it's "GAAS" or not, they are claiming the budget is going to a shit ton of content right in the main package.

Companies are making GAAS games with or without subs. It's the nature of the business; many of them are still high quality games that offer a lot without paying extra, that's how a game should be judged IMO. If Sony sold $10 Samurai pajamas for Ghosts of Tsushima I seriously wouldn't give 2 shits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom