• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

GenuineCraftyHochstettersfrog-size_restricted.gif

4ez5sq.jpg

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So excited for Wednesday. All the more so because my wife and I were looking for a home and found one that really spoke to us both for our goals.

The main reason for me is it will enable me to set up a game room just as my father once had for his audio hobby. Its almost identical in layout.

We offered low..no info yet, but I've been told our lowball offer is more enticing than anything else so far.

Be nice to housewarm with a PS5, if i manage a preorder.

This might be embarrassing, but last time when I read your story you made me tear.

All power to you to reach that dream home of yours.💪

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

PS5 could be 5.14 TFLOPs in games that did not receive a Pro patch if 'Boost Mode' functionality is used.

Let me explain. On PS4 Pro, when you run a game without a Pro patch - with boost mode enabled - it simply utilizes just 2.1 TFLOPs of PS4 Pro's GPU power, not full 4.2 TFLOPs. Boost mode's 2.1 TF over base PS4's 1.84 TF is a 14% increase. And a 33% increase on the CPU side from 1.6 GHz to 2.13 GHz. CPU speed is the same even in native Pro mode.

How Boost Mode works on Pro:
When you run an unpatched game like, let's say, Until Dawn on PS4 Pro in Boost Mode, the game utilizes 18 CUs of the total 36 CUs, which runs at 911 MHz. 18 CUs at 911 MHz = 2.1 TFLOPs. This is how games in Boost Mode only utilize up to 2.1 TF on Pro.

Now assuming Sony follows the same strategy for PS5 - this exact same title when running on PS5 with boost mode enabled could again be utilizing 18 CUs of the PS5's 36 RDNA 2 CUs, and those 18 CUs will now be running at 2,230 MHz clock speed, while the CPU at 3.5 GHz. This will give unpatched games like Until Dawn a whopping 5.14 TFLOPs to play with on PS5. This alone would be a 2.8x boost over base PS4 just from the clock speed bump, without even taking RDNA 2's architectural improvements into account, games with unlocked frame-rate should easily be able to hit over 2x the frame-rate, obviously. Games that were designed for base PS4's 1.84 TF | 176 GB/s spec.

Until Dawn also seems like a perfect candidate to test on PS5 in BC mode as it barely manages to hit consistent 30fps even on PS4 Pro. To my knowledge:
  • It hasn't received a Pro patch
  • It is not capped at 30fps
So you'll see one of the biggest improvements in this game in terms of performance when running on PS5 compared to, for e.g. like, Mad Max game which also hasn't received a Pro patch but has a 30fps cap and it already sticks to 30fps doggedly. So you won't see much improvement in a game like Mad Max.

This means in theory Until Dawn on PS5 should be a locked 60fps game without devs even having to touch a single line of code. It also seems to be predominantly GPU bound. This is how it currently on both PS4 consoles:
feQjwnr.jpg

Source: VG Tech
You can see the avg. frame-rate from PS4 to Pro is a 14.59% increase which is in line with Boost Mode's 2.1 TF (14%) increase over base PS4's.

And what about the games that have already received PS4 Pro patch/support e.g. DOOM Eternal, TLOU2? How will they run on PS5 in BC? Simply put, those games should get full 10.3 TF of GPU power since both PS4 Pro and PS5 GPUs have the same amount of 36 compute units.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MisyE1E.png

Road to PS5

Now, here's something to think about:
Halfway through this post, I realized something. Suppose if Cerny had gone with a higher CU count GPU for PS5 to reach the same 10.3 TF, let's say 52 CUs (same CU count as the XSX GPU) instead of 36 CUs. They'd have to set the GPU frequency around 1544 MHz. This looks nice on paper but with this configuration, BC games would have taken a big hit. How?

Actual PS5: 36 CUs @ 2230 MHz = 10.3 TF
Notional PS5: 52 CUs @ 1544 MHz = 10.3 TF

In back compat Mode:

Non-PS4 Pro "unpatched" game e.g. Until Dawn running on PS5 would use 18 CUs:

18 CUs @ 2230 MHz = 5.14 TF - Until Dawn gets 5.14 TF of computational power with this config, 2.8x boost over base PS4
18 CUs @ 1544 MHz = 3.56 TF - (-31% TF reduction with this config), just 1.9x boost over base PS4

PS4 Pro "patched" game e.g. DOOM Eternal running on PS5 would use 36 CUs:
36 CUs @ 2230 MHz = 10.3 TF - DOOM Eternal gets 10.3 TF of computational power with this config, 2.45x over PS4 Pro
36 CUs @ 1544 MHz = 7.15 TF - (-31% TF reduction with this config), just 1.7x boost over PS4 Pro

BC could be one of the reasons why Cerny chose to go with a higher frequency GPU rather than a higher CU GPU.
This acually makes a lot of sense, thanks.

DrAspirino

Banned

You were saying?

People here seem to forget that XSX, PS5 and gaming in 4K are elitist af, and that most people don't actually have a 4K TV or the budget to spend US$500 or more in a console + game.

As I said before, this generation will be dominated by the XSS and PS5DE, and I can bet my ass that most of the content on the PS5DE will be played at 1080p (even though the console being capable of 4K).

kyliethicc

Xbox Series S will ship with HDMI 1.4 :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Nah its 2.1

So actually he's right. Xbox Series S will only ship with a "High Speed" HDMI cable. It has a 2.1 out port though.
Only the Series X will ship with an "Ultra High Speed" HDMI cable.

Also Xbox has confirmed nothing extra is included with the console in box (like a game or Game Pass etc.)

But the S's cable in box is not capable of 4K30 HDR video, High Speed maxes out at 4K 24Hz.

Basically, HDMI cables are:
High Speed = 1.4 (PS4 and Xbox One shipped with)
Premium High Speed = 2.0 (PS4 Pro, Xbox One X shipped with these)
Ultra High Speed = 2.1 (PS5 and XSX)

Another cost cut.

Last edited:
PS5 could be 5.14 TFLOPs in games that did not receive a Pro patch if 'Boost Mode' functionality is used.

Let me explain. On PS4 Pro, when you run a game without a Pro patch - with boost mode enabled - it simply utilizes just 2.1 TFLOPs of PS4 Pro's GPU power, not full 4.2 TFLOPs. Boost mode's 2.1 TF over base PS4's 1.84 TF is a 14% increase. And a 33% increase on the CPU side from 1.6 GHz to 2.13 GHz. CPU speed is the same even in native Pro mode.

How Boost Mode works on Pro:
When you run an unpatched game like, let's say, Until Dawn on PS4 Pro in Boost Mode, the game utilizes 18 CUs of the total 36 CUs, which runs at 911 MHz. 18 CUs at 911 MHz = 2.1 TFLOPs. This is how games in Boost Mode only utilize up to 2.1 TF on Pro.

Now assuming Sony follows the same strategy for PS5 - this exact same title when running on PS5 with boost mode enabled could again be utilizing 18 CUs of the PS5's 36 RDNA 2 CUs, and those 18 CUs will now be running at 2,230 MHz clock speed, while the CPU at 3.5 GHz. This will give unpatched games like Until Dawn a whopping 5.14 TFLOPs to play with on PS5. This alone would be a 2.8x boost over base PS4 just from the clock speed bump, without even taking RDNA 2's architectural improvements into account, games with unlocked frame-rate should easily be able to hit over 2x the frame-rate, obviously. Games that were designed for base PS4's 1.84 TF | 176 GB/s spec.

Until Dawn also seems like a perfect candidate to test on PS5 in BC mode as it barely manages to hit consistent 30fps even on PS4 Pro. To my knowledge:
  • It hasn't received a Pro patch
  • It is not capped at 30fps
So you'll see one of the biggest improvements in this game in terms of performance when running on PS5 compared to, for e.g. like, Mad Max game which also hasn't received a Pro patch but has a 30fps cap and it already sticks to 30fps doggedly. So you won't see much improvement in a game like Mad Max.

This means in theory Until Dawn on PS5 should be a locked 60fps game without devs even having to touch a single line of code. It also seems to be predominantly GPU bound. This is how it currently on both PS4 consoles:
feQjwnr.jpg

Source: VG Tech
You can see the avg. frame-rate from PS4 to Pro is a 14.59% increase which is in line with Boost Mode's 2.1 TF (14%) increase over base PS4's.

And what about the games that have already received PS4 Pro patch/support e.g. DOOM Eternal, TLOU2? How will they run on PS5 in BC? Simply put, those games should get full 10.3 TF of GPU power since both PS4 Pro and PS5 GPUs have the same amount of 36 compute units.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MisyE1E.png

Road to PS5

Now, here's something to think about:
Halfway through this post, I realized something. Suppose if Cerny had gone with a higher CU count GPU for PS5 to reach the same 10.3 TF, let's say 52 CUs (same CU count as the XSX GPU) instead of 36 CUs. They'd have to set the GPU frequency around 1544 MHz. This looks nice on paper but with this configuration, BC games would have taken a big hit. How?

Actual PS5: 36 CUs @ 2230 MHz = 10.3 TF
Notional PS5: 52 CUs @ 1544 MHz = 10.3 TF

In back compat Mode:

Non-PS4 Pro "unpatched" game e.g. Until Dawn running on PS5 would use 18 CUs:

18 CUs @ 2230 MHz = 5.14 TF - Until Dawn gets 5.14 TF of computational power with this config, 2.8x boost over base PS4
18 CUs @ 1544 MHz = 3.56 TF - (-31% TF reduction with this config), just 1.9x boost over base PS4

PS4 Pro "patched" game e.g. DOOM Eternal running on PS5 would use 36 CUs:
36 CUs @ 2230 MHz = 10.3 TF - DOOM Eternal gets 10.3 TF of computational power with this config, 2.45x over PS4 Pro
36 CUs @ 1544 MHz = 7.15 TF - (-31% TF reduction with this config), just 1.7x boost over PS4 Pro

BC could be one of the reasons why Cerny chose to go with a higher frequency GPU rather than a higher CU GPU.
For reference, here are the BC tests conducted just before the devkits shipped to developers

This is some stupid troll posting this shit.
Here's some official AMD:

The much-anticipated Xbox Series X will be available starting November 10, with pre-orders beginning September 22. The Xbox Series X will enable 4K gaming at up to 120 fps for truly immersive experiences, powered by the 8 core, 16 thread AMD “Zen 2” CPU optimized for gaming. Coupled with the brand new RDNA 2 GPU architecture, which also powers our upcoming Radeon RX 6000 series graphics cards, we are providing game-changing performance behind the most powerful Xbox ever created. We have focused on ensuring games don’t just look better but play better as well, driven by key, new hardware-accelerated features such as seamless content paging from the SSD to the GPU based on the revolutionary Xbox Velocity Architecture and DirectX 12 Ultimate Raytracing, Variable Rate Shading and mesh shaders.
so, someone write to him, "tough chance stupid troll"

edit
meh, its better I make a thread about it

Last edited:

Vroadstar

Sooo MS updated
n8rj4O2.jpg

TOlcASD.jpg

Xbox SX site.
And there is something to create some FUD like good old xbox folks would do if something similar would happen on PS5 site 🙃🙃🙃
There is only mention of RDNA , not RDNA 2 !!! So it must be RDNA 1 !!!

Im joking. Do I ?

Someone start a thread "X series" only RDNA 1 and let's add a twitter link from the broke wing pigeon, "developer" without a game Odium to reinforce the FUD /s 🤡:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think there's a chance Sony will go with PS5 at $399 and DE @ $349.

source: trust me dude etc. Don't mark my words but I think it is possible. Let's wait and see.
i would give it the same chance as ps5 launching at $599.

then again, i think $399 is highly unlikely, though MS pretty much forced their hands. they will HAVE to take whatever loss to hit that price for the DE edition.

Physical is where they will try and make some of that money back,

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I didn't buy it at launch. I bought it sometime in 2007 because I knew a new ratchet and clank was coming. We got rainbow six vegas and something else with it.

Ohhhh. OK. Lol. I was someone whi just had to have The new George Foreman grill and wound up with a game system promoted as HD Game/Blu Ray player worthy of the newest Bravia TV. Thank goodness things have cha.... oh. Never mind.

jose4gg

Not really. Everyone has known it's RDNA 2 for a long time. It's Sony that has been vague.

I think this is the first time where the name of a new architecture is used as a marketing word... At least from the console perspective, but even in the PC/GPU side of things, it's really weird seeing people outside of the tech world use those terms like "turing" "ampere"...

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

I remember when PS4 was announced as having 8GB of GDDR5 RAM.... back in 2013... and everyone was like NO FUCKING WAY!!!!! THIS IS GONNA BE EXPENSIVE!!

And then BAM! 8GB GDDR5 and $399.

Oh I've mentioned it a few times.....I remember the $200 alone! OMG!!!!, They're mad! etc. History repeats ;)

Not really. Everyone has known it's RDNA 2 for a long time. It's Sony that has been vague.

In this instance I'm just talking about how Microsoft are referring to the tech in their own literature. On the XSX 'overview' page on the die shot/Master Chief it says; 'Zen 2 and RDNA architectures' and on the next picture; 'Equipped with AMD’s Zen 2 and RDNA architecture'. They always seem to refer to the CPU as 'Zen 2' and I haven't seem an instance where they haven't but not so with RDNA 2.

As for Sony, hopefully they start to reveal far more detail after Wednesday. I can't see why not if price and release date are confirmed.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Let's see AMD say that "PS5 uses the same RDNA2 that powers the 6000 series", then we can discuss your "point" and who missed it.
So fucking dumb and i don't use that word often.

Go on, explain to me how this one does not count. That is if you can see my comment since you said you'd put me on ignore. Someone please quote it for him.

Last edited:
Oh I've mentioned it a few times.....I remember the $200 alone! OMG!!!!, They're mad! etc. History repeats ;)

In this instance I'm just talking about how Microsoft are referring to the tech in their own literature. On the XSX 'overview' page on the die shot/Master Chief it says; 'Zen 2 and RDNA architectures' and on the next picture; 'Equipped with AMD’s Zen 2 and RDNA architecture'. They always seem to refer to the CPU as 'Zen 2' and I haven't seem an instance where they haven't but not so with RDNA 2.

As for Sony, hopefully they start to reveal far more detail after Wednesday. I can't see why not if price and release date are confirmed.
Yup. See these:

This thing is going to cost a fortune...

Expect $599

8 GB of DDR5 confirmed.

Wow.

This thing is going to be EXPENSIVE.

$599 PS4 incoming

😂

Now they have to say it uses the same.... You love your goal post moves
You will have to define what you mean by "goalpost" because I have already posted the current playstation 5 architect saying "INBETWEEN rdna1 & rdna2 with some unique bits", using the word "hybrid" and clearly saying that "there is no ML on the GPU" and also saying that the "CS is reserved for audio (tempest) "

sooooo, let me hear your definition of "goalpost", and then we can decide which of the two of us is trying to move it.

Microsoft was slightly custom RDNA 2 GPUs. Sony’s PS5 is Custom RDNA ? GPU. PS5 GPU is RDNA is more customized then Microsoft’s. It got RDNA2 and RDNA 1 plus some other customization. Though I think PS5 is still considered RDNA2 overall.

Also there is a whisper that the definition of RDNA 2 might have changed slightly. Idk if that effect Xbox Series or the PS5. But rumor is Efficiencies per watt is around 65-70% and the performance is even better then AMD thought it was. But we get more information on RDNA 2 for sure in October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom