• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
Lol I was actually discussing the no next gen games at launch for series x. How it’s a bad idea. Guess they didn’t like that. 🤷🏻‍♂️
That is one of the heresy there... you can’t say that you think that MS strategy is bad for Xbox.

I was banned (perna) because in a sales thread when MS had no game to marketing at the end of year and somebody though to marketing PUBG bundle and I said it was bad ideia because PUBG released for PS4 in that same period so it could work as free marketing for the game launching on PS4.

That is one of the heresy there... you can’t say that you think that MS strategy is bad for Xbox.

I was banned (perna) because in a sales thread when MS had no game to marketing at the end of year and somebody though to marketing PUBG bundle and I said it was bad ideia because PUBG released for PS4 in that same period so it could work as free marketing for the game launching on PS4.

Which is weird since the majority there prefer PlayStation anyway....

ethomaz

Banned
Which is weird since the majority there prefer PlayStation anyway....
I’m sure who made the comment about marketing PUBG on holidays a year after launch was Xbox fan at least (welfare).
Actually the community there thinks they are too policial correct and SJW to the point to be preconceived.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I used to listen him. Until while in resetera he gave wrong insiders info like LABO being a huge sale sucess.

After people on resetera disagree with him, he asked a permaban.
after 2013, i stopped listening to analysts entirely. ps4 and xbox one to a lesser extent showed that consoles werent dying or dead like 99% of the analysts predicted during the smartphone craze. the insane rate at which both consoles sold showed that the thirst was as real as ever. nintendo switch selling almost a million in a weekend is insane too.

these people are supposed to understand the industry and they dont understand the most basic thing about gaming. you will always need consoles or at least until we get to a stage where everything is photorealistic in VR mode and there is no more need for improvements. we are like 4 gens away from that future.

i am glad stadia blew up in their faces because streaming will never be the future. the end game is VR. ready player one but with photoealism. and that will require giant consoles rendering 100-500 tflops of data at insane framerates.

these analysts dont understand gaming. they dont like gaming. they probably feel like failures covering gaming instead of real industries. hence the constant doom and gloom predictions.

Last edited:
im back from my ban from this thread. i didnt realize you could get banned on gaf. i have seen some crazy shit get posted here with no bans. i was clearly joking about phil dangling his dice over cerny's forehead but i guess thats one step too far.

now defending cross gen first party games should be bannable in a thread about next gen hardware. surely thats blasphemy. it's like buying a thousand dollar champagne only to dilute it with water to make it last longer. it's like paying for a $2,000 hooker then blindfolding yourself and pretending you are having sex with your own wife. it's like buying a $1500 rtx 2080 ti to play minecraft with ray tracing.

sony skipping e3 on the other hand would be the dumbest move since MS said they wont ship next gen games until 2022. its like both sony and ms are trying to out do each other on who can ruin next gen the most. i really hope its not true and the same goes for Matt booty's idiotic comments. maybe they are just fucking with us and sony has a reveal in 30 days and ms will have next gen exclusives at launch.

We live in the age of the internet. It doesn't matter how they do the reveal, or further reveals throughout the year, the news will spread. Just look at how quickly the Wired article info spread through the gaming world. Heck, MS revealed their console at a friggin gaming awards show.

Not being at E3 last year didn't hurt the PS4's sales. Nor did MS being their help the XBO's sales.

quest

Not Banned from OT
after 2013, i stopped listening to analysts entirely. ps4 and xbox one to a lesser extent showed that consoles werent dying or dead like 99% of the analysts predicted during the smartphone craze. the insane rate at which both consoles sold showed that the thirst was as real as ever. nintendo switch selling almost a million in a weekend is insane too.

these people are supposed to understand the industry and they dont understand the most basic thing about gaming. you will always need consoles or at least until we get to a stage where everything is photorealistic in VR mode and there is no more need for improvements. we are like 4 gens away from that future.

i am glad stadia blew up in their faces because streaming will never be the future. the end game is VR. ready player one but with photoealism. and that will require giant consoles rendering 100-500 tflops of data at insane framerates.

these analysts dont understand gaming. they dont like gaming. they probably feel like failures covering gaming instead of real industries. hence the constant doom and gloom predictions.

Considering the market shrunk a 100 million. It went from 3 healthy competitors to 1 dominant force and one dropped out I say they are right. Just because it is your favorite company is dominate does not mean the analyst were not spot on about the market contracting considerably to the point Nintendo went hand held only. The market might not be dead but it is not exactly healthy at the moment. It is a repeat generation from a single company ruling with an iron fist.

According to Steam stats you are wrong. Lots of pc gamers have quite a good gpu.

MS has hardly made a profit with xbox though.
If anything Sony will have more confidence to release a console at a loss.
MS will do what they need to do to get back to where they were with the 360. And thats pretty doable.
I think this generation showed just how valuable quality first party studios are. In the 360 era MS thought they could keep getting success just by timed exclusives. Well, Sony showed that aint the case.
And as I have said before, in the comming years there will be a rush for exclusivity. Google knows no one is going to rush to Stadia just to play Assassins Creed or the latest COD when they can already get that on their current console.
So Google knows they are going to have to have exclusive games to get people to go to Stadia. They have already set up first party studios, and have bought some studios. But they are going to do something big. Im talking an EA or Activision type big.
Then Amazon will enter the game, and they will have to follow suit to catch up with exclusives, so they will also go big and buy up an EA or Ubisoft, or Rock Star, or Project Red etc.
Then Microsoft will have to do the same, and Sony will also need to do it, and so there will be a bidding war for studios.

Thats How I expect it to go. And for Google and Amazon to go into the gaming business there must be a pretty big train of thought that gaming is going to be a massive part of entertainment revenue going forward.

So to answer your question, MS will know the landscape and they will do what they have to do, including spending billions, to keep their place in the gaming business.

Sony do have some weak points going forward. MS, Google and Amazon have deeper pockets, and have massive data centres for the future of streaming games. And as we have seen, Sony had to go to MS to offer that service.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Considering the market shrunk a 100 million. It went from 3 healthy competitors to 1 dominant force and one dropped out I say they are right. Just because it is your favorite company is dominate does not mean the analyst were not spot on about the market contracting considerably to the point Nintendo went hand held only. The market might not be dead but it is not exactly healthy at the moment. It is a repeat generation from a single company ruling with an iron fist.

Nah just alot of ppl tht use to buy multiple consoles fed up and not buying multiple consoles anymore due to lack of interest. I dont blame them, I wish I never would have bought my Xbox it was a waste. When tht interest is there ppl will not buy just a ps4 but an Xbox as well its up to the companies to make ppl want their product.

Last edited:

Reindeer

Well technically the Xbox is moving to an Xbox ecosystem across too many consoles (& PC).

The Xbox Series. Like PC or Mac.
Microsoft should let third parties manufacture consoles like the 3DO at this point.
Microsoft have an identity crisis. I guess Mike Ybarra was right when he said that nothing really changed at Microsoft. They are selling people the "most powerful" console and at the same time are not going to offer games that will showcase that power and make gamers want to buy the system. It's clear they don't really care about sales of Series X, but they shouldn't be surprised if gamers don't care as well and buy PS5 because Sony will be doing their outmost best to give gamers a reason to upgrade. This is such a blunder on Microsoft's part, it like they're offering you a Ferrari and restricting you to 60 miles in an hour.

Last edited:

johnjohn

Guy is a fool.... Ecosystems! Fuck ecosystems, I want my console.

Matt just wants to falsely inflate numbers and pretend the industry is really mainstream, cause they actually hate gamers.
You realize a console is part of the ecosystem right? lmao
Microsoft have an identity crisis. I guess Mike Ybarra was right when he said that nothing really changed at Microsoft. They are selling people the "most powerful" console and at the same time are not going to offer games that will showcase that power and make gamers want to buy the system. It's clear they don't really care about sales of Series X, but they shouldn't be surprised if gamers don't care as well and buy PS5 because Sony will be doing their outmost best to give gamers a reason to upgrade. This is such a blunder on Microsoft's part, it like they're offering you a Ferrari and restricting you to 60 miles in an hour.
Who said the games aren't going to showcase the power of Series X?

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
That's obvious, but my point is that cross gen do not take advantage of new systems until they are built for them from ground up. It defeats the purpose when you brag about power but have no games to show that can take full advantage of that power.
That’s true. If they aren’t built from 0 on the new systems then they all we’re getting is “enhancements”

Go and compare cross gen games to non cross gen and then come back here.
RDR2 vs
That's obvious, but my point is that cross gen do not take advantage of new systems until they are built for them from ground up. It defeats the purpose when you brag about power but have no games to show that can take full advantage of that power.
First generation games never take full use of the power. You dont normally see that till the third gen games come out.

Well MS still allows popular games like Street Fighter V to be exclusive to PS. The game may have had a flop launch, but it’s desirable now. Also so many games get PS exclusive content and it hurts being an Xbox gamer. Exclusive content & perks for PS gamers with Modern Warfare, DOA6, Monster Hunter etc etc.

I currently only have a One X with an SSD, and I’m really not confident that staying in the Xbox “ecosystem” is going to be best if they won’t allow games to focus on next gen from the ground up as well as allowing PS to keep getting the best perks.

Similar to Mike Ybarra with his PC, I may be best sticking with my One X with SSD and going PS5 next gen.
I think it's exciting to see what the MS studios put out. 343 will be doing Halo, The Coalition will be doing Gears, Turn 10 doing Forza, Playground are doing an RPG, so I assume Forza Horizons will get farmed out to a third party, Rare will make some kiddy game as usual and Ninja Theory is doing Senua. So we have the 9 other studios working on other projects we are yet to see. The Inititive has some reputation to live up to. Don't wrote them off yet.

Reindeer

First generation games never take full use of the power. You dont normally see that till the third gen games come out.
2013: Ryse: Son of Rome, Killzone: Shadow Fall, Forza Motorsport 5.

2014: Driveclub, Infamous Second Son, Assassin's Creed: Unity,

These games are as good looking as anything out there today. And this is juts games that came out within a year of this gen.

2013: Ryse: Son of Rome, Killzone: Shadow Fall, Forza Motorsport 5.

2014: Driveclub, Infamous Second Son, Assassin's Creed: Unity,

These games are as good looking as anything out there today. And this is juts games that came out within a year of this gen.
Easily surpassed by Uncharted, GOW, RDR2 COD Modern Warfare 2019, and Horizons

Armorian

Banned

But the difference is way smaller than between cross gen and "real" next gen (current) games, like:

AC4 -> Unity
GTA5 - > RDR2
COD Ghosts -> COD AW

All MS games will be limted in scope by 1.7GHz Xbox One Jaguar and ~5GB of RAM for the first year or two, I'm not happy about that.

But the difference is way smaller than between cross gen and "real" next gen (current) games, like:

AC4 -> Unity
GTA5 - > RDR2
COD Ghosts -> COD AW

All MS games will be limted in scope by 1.7GHz Xbox One Jaguar and ~5GB of RAM for the first year or two, I'm not happy about that.
I'm not sure why you just refuse to believe that MS will take advantage of the new systems capabilities such as RT and VRS, and then remove those and reduce frame rates, resolutions and texture details for the lesser consoles. Its in MSs best interest to make their next gen games shine, as this is why people will upgrade. Not to mention the fact that 90% of games released on both systems will be third party, and on both consoles.

I'm not sure why you just refuse to believe that MS will take advantage of the new systems capabilities such as RT and VRS, and then remove those and reduce frame rates, resolutions and texture details for the lesser consoles. Its in MSs best interest to make their next gen games shine, as this is why people will upgrade. Not to mention the fact that 90% of games released on both systems will be third party, and on both consoles.

I'm always curious why people feel the need to defend MS or Sony so adamantly. Maybe Microsoft should come out and clarify what to expect from next gen versions of their games. I really don't understand why you (and a bunch of others) feel the need to defend something like this.

They've put out a semi controversial or poorly worded statement around next generation games. Let them own it and address it themselves.

Last edited:

Reindeer

That's very debatable. Ryse easily looks as good as Uncharted 4 purely from a visual perspective, it just that Naughty Dog's game destroys in all other aspects. Modern Warfare doesn't look much better than Star Wars Battlefront that came out in 2015. RDR2 I will give it to you, but that game was in production for almost 10 years so the devs had lot of time to refine the tech.

Overall you brought a few examples that don't look significantly better than the games I mentioned. The games I brought up still look as good as 99% of games out there. This disproves you point that first gen games cannot look as good as games that come out later.

Last edited:

-kb-

So you think MS plan is to remove anything that won't run on the jaguar cores form the game entirely?. Sounds like a bad idea, because the choice is either that or gimp the XSX to features that will run on the jaguar cores.

Last edited:

Reindeer

I'm always curious why people feel the need to defend MS or Sony so adamantly. Maybe Microsoft should come out and clarify what to expect from next gen versions of their games. I really don't understand why you (and a bunch of others) feel the need to defend something like this.

They've put out a semi controversial or poorly worded statement around next generation games. Let them own it and address it themselves.
Answer is simple: Fanboyism. People who become obsessed with the system they love feel an inherent need to defend their system and any decision the manufacturer of that system makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom