• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I don't care which one's testicle flops. I do care about which one will have more interesting "console only"(not just timed) exclusives.

Sony doesn't seems to let go it's biggest franchises on PC. Microsoft tends to release their games both for Xbox and PC, which is a good thing, but i have a PC, and Xbox is my last choice for gaming because of it.

If devs/publishers all go with Fortnite route and make crossplay enable for all their games(player pool much more bigger in consoles) and doesn't exclude Pc in exclusivity deals, i will go with my Pc next gen(maybe plus Switch as a sidekick).

Everyone having a blast right now with Xbox Gamepass. It will be a big factor for people who don't use Pc for gaming(or don't have one) when choosing a console. Gamepass for console is much more better than PC, so maybe that can change my mind in future, if that trend continue.

TL DR: I will wait at least 2 years with my PC(with gamepass time to time) and PS4.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

XSX: 2GB/s
PS5: 4.5GB/s

SSDs. XSX will use a regular PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD while PS4 will use a PCIe 4.0 one.

If the Ryzen 3000 based APU innately supports it, it wouldn't cost much extra to at least use a 4.0 capable controller, even if it's not as custom and fast as this "Broadband" SSD.

VFXVeteran

Banned
So your guess is that XSX has the edge overall, presumably based on GPU/CPU. But PS5 holds a substantial advantage on SSD, but that's not enough to give it an edge?

Very interesting..

Why would it be? The main driver of performance is dependent on the most complex aspect of the scene. And that's going to be within the GPU - which is where most of the time is being spent. If you have a faster SSD to load in assets but your GPU is slower, you're sort of balancing the scales.

Thedtrain

I have never given TFs that I expect only approving of margin of errors and I can live with that neighborhood you are in.
Cool

+/- 10% is nothing.

If Sony would drop some morsel proving that the github info is old or incomplete, we could keep our little speculation thread going for another 2-3 months.

Jtibh

Banned
Yes sir only specs some rumors going around they might show the new dual shock 5 and its new features
Sir.
I have to work tomorrow from 9 am till 10pm as we are getting ready for the january reno show and we are on a deadline. Booth booked and payed for , delivery guys scheduled etc.
Now you telling me i wont be able to sleep all night and have to drop work at 6 so i can watch this reveal.
Sir if you are messing with me i find you.

Where are my fucking gummies? Gotta calm my ass down.

Last edited:
Yea and that was years later with a full revision including die shrink. Not just an upclock and one year later. And it didn't close the gap. Upclocking can't compete with more CUs. Again there is no reason to wait a year just for an upclock. A few months maybe.
Then why didn't MS just up the clocks on the One right away? I mean you make it sound like it's money for jam.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Cool

+/- 10% is nothing.

If Sony would drop some morsel proving that the github info is old or incomplete, we could keep our little speculation thread going for another 2-3 months.

If it's +/- 10% performance, then that is something. It could make the difference between holding 60fps. If one console can hold 60FPS but another one is 10% slower (i.e. 54FPS), people will complain..

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why would it be? The main driver of performance is dependent on the most complex aspect of the scene. And that's going to be within the GPU - which is where most of the time is being spent. If you have a faster SSD to load in assets but your GPU is slower, you're sort of balancing the scales.

Just because the PS5 potentially holds an advantage over the Xbox in SSD speed, doesn’t mean it’s going to bottleneck the GPU.

This is kind of a weird take without knowing the specs, almost preemptive FUD.

Honestly I do hope we get some PS5 news tomorrow... but who knows.

Anyway I can't wait to see what AMD has in store. Ryzen 3, Ryzen 4000 for laptops, new Radeon with RT dedicated hardware... I'm hyped.

Oh I don't pretend to know about the tech, I'm just curious more than anything whether a significantly faster SSD would shift the balance. Clearly not, but wanted to ask.

Thedtrain

If it's +/- 10% performance, then that is something. It could make the difference between holding 60fps. If one console can hold 60FPS but another one is 10% slower (i.e. 54FPS), people will complain..
Outside of some DF videos and general console warring, I’m betting I can’t see the difference between 54 and 60 FPS.

If xsx was much stronger I’d have to buy both consoles, so I’d rather they be just close enough. My preference though, everyone’s different

VFXVeteran

Banned
Just because the PS5 potentially holds an advantage over the Xbox in SSD speed, doesn’t mean it’s going to bottleneck the GPU.

This is kind of a weird take without knowing the specs, almost preemptive FUD.

He indicated a large delta between the two platforms for SSD speed (i.e. probably read speed). We already know that SSD will be used for virtual memory (both CPU and GPU). If the PS5 is only slightly slower than the XSX in overall performance but have a large delta advantage with reading in assets (clearly what he indicated), then what hardware piece would be the bottleneck that makes the overall performance 10% less than the XSX?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He indicated a large delta between the two platforms for SSD speed (i.e. probably read speed). We already know that SSD will be used for virtual memory (both CPU and GPU). If the PS5 is only slightly slower than the XSX in overall performance but have a large delta advantage with reading in assets (clearly what he indicated), then what hardware piece would be the bottleneck that makes the overall performance 10% less than the XSX?

I’m still not following. What if the PS5 loads things faster on average compared to the XSX?

I don’t see more SSD speed as a bottleneck. It will still never feed faster than the compute in these GPUs, just make a remarkable difference compared to mechanical drives and their slow I/O setups.

Disco_

Also those SSD's as virtual ram will wear out and need to buy changable parts, this is where those Sony patent cartiges come to place, something that you plug into your console Nintendo Red Card style, this will also help them to lower the cost of the console if the specs are crazy (michael patcher 1000$ specs) wich i doubt, now you probably asking who is my dealer 😄 im just venturing a guess here.
Those sony cartridges are meant for Toio. It's a learning tool/game for children. The cartridges themselves use fairly low end NAND IIRC.

Wondering if the Oberon leak would be something like:

Gen 0 = PS4 games that haven't had any improvements - Bloodborne
Gen 1 = Games that had improvements on PS4 Pro - God of War
Gen 2 = PS4 games that will have significant improvements in new hardware, such as 60 / 120fps, 4k / 8k textures, visual enhancements, new elements, etc ... from developers who decide to give their games a new look.

In short, the leak is just the BC side.
If I'm not mistaken, GEN2 was listed as NATIVE, not BC, on github.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom