• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Compression is still better on PS5 though. So using Kraken and maybe Oodle Textures would give you a smaller file size than just the XSX version. I'm guessing the only version that would be smaller than the XSX version in the Xbox family would be the XSS version due to using lower quality assets.
72gb, downloading now XSS and if I like I will transfer to XSX.

dcmk7

Banned
microsoft in last minute bought Housemarque, Returnal day 1 on gamepass :messenger_sunglasses:
Sarcastic George Costanza GIF

Mr Moose

I know I'm correct, all the Series games I own I can download onto the External card and play on either a Series X or S with no download, the same file works on both machines.
So it's not very smart delivery, is that what you are saying? Having both versions together would be a waste of space.
Maybe, just maybe, the game is the same size on both because it's the same game and there won't be any improvements between them, it's a PS4 game.

Riky

$MSFT
So it's not very smart delivery, is that what you are saying? Having both versions together would be a waste of space.
Maybe, just maybe, the game is the same size on both because it's the same game and there won't be any improvements between them, it's a PS4 game.

It's not just this game, it's all Series games. There is one file size that contains everything for both versions. Like I said put the file on a Seagate storage card and you can swap between machines no problem.

Mr Moose

It's not just this game, it's all Series games. There is one file size that contains everything for both versions. Like I said put the file on a Seagate storage card and you can swap between machines no problem.
So it's like a PS4 Pro game being the same size as a PS4 game? :pie_thinking:
I thought some are different sizes, like CoD on the Series S?

Riky

$MSFT
So it's like a PS4 Pro game being the same size as a PS4 game? :pie_thinking:
I thought some are different sizes, like CoD on the Series S?

You can "shrink" some games if you wish, I presume it removes specific Series X stuff if you want to save space on Series S, but you don't have to and I don't because I move the games between machines.

roops67

Trying to buy a PS5 is friggin hard. I need advice off anyone who's bought one in the UK, how did you do it??

Its been a few months now I've been daily checking for stocks at every possible outlet, but I'm seeing absolutely nowt nothing zero zilch kaput. Sales are reported as record breaking, so I must be doing it wrong?!

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Naughty Dog says it’s still struggling with multi-project development

“We tried our first major multi-project development with The Last of Us,” Wells said. “At the end of Uncharted 2, Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann went off to start designing [that], although they did spend a good, solid three or four months working on Jak and Daxter before they decided to shelve it and focus on something new.
“They embarked on that and the idea was we would build a team around it and have two teams going at once, and we just did not achieve that at all.
He added: “The amount of effort that was required to finish Uncharted 3 at the time was stealing resources away from The Last of Us, and we never got to the point where we had two full productions going.
“I would say even today we’re just short of that. We definitely have multiple projects, but only one that is getting the lion’s share of focus at any time.
“We don’t have two projects that have several hundred people on them. We have one [project] and then some that are in pre-production, or maybe just creeping out of pre-production, but will have to wait until the main focus has completed before we move everybody off of that project.”
“We did a lot of work at the end of The Last of Us 2… we’ve made some pretty big changes,” Wells said. “We’re adding more titles and hierarchy to our studio. We’ve always been trying to hold onto those garage days, [like] back in the days when I joined and I was the 14th employee, and try and maintain that nimbleness. But now we’re 300 people in the studio and things have to change, right?
“We’ve got principle employees now, we’ve just promoted a bunch of VPs as well, we’re adding more leads… something that we’ve traditionally done on productions in the past is our leads and directors would still be too hands-on to where they didn’t have enough time to manage their team and people, so we’re freeing them up to do that.”

Trying to buy a PS5 is friggin hard. I need advice off anyone who's bought one in the UK, how did you do it??

Its been a few months now I've been daily checking for stocks at every possible outlet, but I'm seeing absolutely nowt nothing zero zilch kaput. Sales are reported as record breaking, so I must be doing it wrong?!

I haven't tried doing this but some people say to follow certain twitter accounts that constantly give out stock updates.

Riky

$MSFT
So its just one version of the game. There is no Series S version and Series X version, it's just one game.

There is one file size, it contains everything you need to play on both Series X and Series S. Nobody knows apart from the developer how much difference it would make if you just had versions specific to each machine, obviously there must be a certain amount of code specific to each machine.
But I can 100% guarantee you that if I download a game on my Series X to the expansion card and take that card and plug it into my Series S the game plays no problem instantly.

roops67

I haven't tried doing this but some people say to follow certain twitter accounts that constantly give out stock updates.
Yes checking them too, they'll report now an then that stock is expected arrive to a certain chain but ever time I followed it up the store still has no stock :messenger_loudly_crying: . Want to hear from people who have succeeded

Mr Moose

There is one file size, it contains everything you need to play on both Series X and Series S. Nobody knows apart from the developer how much difference it would make if you just had versions specific to each machine, obviously there must be a certain amount of code specific to each machine.
But I can 100% guarantee you that if I download a game on my Series X to the expansion card and take that card and plug it into my Series S the game plays no problem instantly.
Yup, it's like a PS4 Pro game played on a PS4 via external HDD.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Naughty Dog says it’s still struggling with multi-project development

man this is frustrating. its been a decade since U3. you would think sony wouldve been able to create multiple teams in studios since then.

cant believe they are only 300 people. they need to be double that size to do two games at once.

You can't delete the Series S version.

But why is the Series S version the same size as the Series X version?

In a new interview at IGN with Xbox's Director of Program Management Jason Ronald, he confirmed that game install sizes should be "approximately 30% smaller" on the Xbox Series S compared to the Series X. The main factor making the difference seems to be the resolution: the Series S is aiming for 1440p resolution, rather than the Series X's 4K target.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
If the game works on both consoles, and has different textures on both consoles, it kinda has to add XSS textures to the XSX file size.
How Smart Delivery works? It should only download the target texture to the platform, no?

I mean on Xbox One it downloaded the non-HD assets and on Xbox One X it downloaded the HD pack textures.

That is now transparent to SmartDelivery... it already downloads the version of the textures you choose to download the game.

That is how I understand it, no?

ethomaz

Banned
But why is the Series S version the same size as the Series X version?

Yeap the ideia of having both version of the game being downloaded to all platforms is no Smart at all.

It is Smart because it downloads only the textures the target platform will use... in the case of the both version using the same texture then it will download the same for both.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Yeap the ideia of having both version of the game being downloaded to all platforms is no Smart at all.

It is Smart because it downloads only the textures the target platform will use... in the case of the both version using the same texture then it will download the same for both.

There isn't two versions to download, there is one version that plays on both machines. It doesn't download only what the target platform needs because the file works on both machines without the need for any additional download, that goes for all the Series games.

skit_data

It isn't the same size, it's one file that contains both versions of the game.
So if you download a game on your Series S, transfer it to the expansion SSD and then plug it into the Series X and boot the game it will download additional duplicates of assets already found on the SSD but in higher resolution? While keeping the lower quality assets, not replacing them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom