• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cope and Seethe.
giphy.gif

The virgin Sony Tuesday:
-PC Ports
-VR delayed to 2022
-Gran Turismo Delayed
-Close Japan Studios

The Chad Microsoft Tueday:
-Close the Deal on Zenimax Acquisition
-"Some" aka crumbs for playstation
-Tease new Announcements for unannounced games.
-Phils Desk with teases and hints for the future.
Atleast virgin Sony make games even if they are delayed but chad microsoft make promises: remember the power of the cloud, peter molyneux human ai game project milo, the tools will be ready in the future.... 🤣🤣 when buying a Xbox your basically praying and hoping for the future. But jokes aside bethesda deal is good for ms. Let's wait and see.

But that is bullshit for example I already bought more Bethesda games for my Xbox One compare to my PS4 pro or even my PC (yeah I know is weird).

In a parallel universe where this acquisition did not happen the same games will be in Xbox so your prefer platform will have the same quantity games you only
make the another lost those titles. Is the same like when PlayStation acquired Insomniac, they already were doing most of its game for PS the people of
Xbox and Nintendo just lost that possibility, this is not good for you as user.

I celebrate create new studios like The Initiative or even bought some small indies but this not.
Sounds more like you are choosing to see a negative. It's not like Bethesda is going out of business. You can still play their games and since it's MS you don't even need an Xbox to do so. I guess some people are glass half full and some are completely empty.

Performing better on Xbox consoles is nothing new for Bethesda games, they normally run a bit shit on PS consoles.
Mhhh... well they'll be even more shit now but problem is most people would buy pcs to play then and keep their ps5s unless Microsoft do what Sony does by first releasing on Xbox and wait a year or 2 for pc otherwise this deal won't sell more Xbox consoles or maybe their target is gamepass this days.

ToadMan

Isn't that what happens with all exclusives? Most start with multiplatform development until some company buys the exclusive rights for that game to be only published on one console

It seems to me it’s the opposite. They may get timed exclusivity for titles which are a decent way down the line but not full. I can’t think of any examples of that...

Otherwise the exclusivity is bought up when there’s a working prototype that hasn’t gone into full production so it never gets to the point it’s more than a multiplat concept.

I wouldn’t be happy if my management agreed to an acquisition by a company who then turned up and deleted years worth of my work and effectively told me my skills were no longer required because they happened to target the wrong piece of hardware now. Would you?

This isn’t like dumping the last hour’s worth of burgers I flipped. It’s like asking an author to burn their manuscripts or a musician their compositions. Not to mention that content has significant commercial value.

That’s what taking a title well into development (or supposedly near release as some say) would mean. Not to mention that the project was managed and built around the target audiences. So what do you tell the managers and team leaders on those projects - oh hey MS said your plans can all be canned now, replan budgets, staffing, and logistics for a different platform configuration 80% of the way through the project and make sure there’s a profit at the end! - kthxbai.

People don’t do game development for the money at least not the good ones - they do it because they’re passionate about it and they’ll put up with the low pay and crunch and other crappy conditions. If you then throw their work away over a pointless attempt to sell some hardware that MS claimed is irrelevant to success? Can’t see that myself - then again, MS has closed a lot of stuff down without much fanfare before and it cost them an entire generation and their fans no games for years. If they didn’t learn from that mistake they deserve what comes next.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Honestly guys I dont think the Bethesda deal is well, that big of a deal if "Some" games come to ps5. If sony gets the big expensive games like Elder scrolls and Fallouts but miss out on dooms and starfields, or vice versa, theyll be ok. If anything it will hopefully incentivize sony to have a proper RPG Studio or 2.

onesvenus

It seems to me it’s the opposite. They may get timed exclusivity for titles which are a decent way down the line but not full. I can’t think of any examples of that...

Otherwise the exclusivity is bought up when there’s a working prototype that hasn’t gone into full production so it never gets to the point it’s more than a multiplat concept.

I wouldn’t be happy if my management agreed to an acquisition by a company who then turned up and deleted years worth of my work and effectively told me my skills were no longer required because they happened to target the wrong piece of hardware now. Would you?

This isn’t like dumping the last hour’s worth of burgers I flipped. It’s like asking an author to burn their manuscripts or a musician their compositions. Not to mention that content has significant commercial value.

That’s what taking a title well into development (or supposedly near release as some say) would mean. Not to mention that the project was managed and built around the target audiences. So what do you tell the managers and team leaders on those projects - oh hey MS said your plans can all be canned now, replan budgets, staffing, and logistics for a different platform configuration 80% of the way through the project and make sure there’s a profit at the end! - kthxbai.

People don’t do game development for the money at least not the good ones - they do it because they’re passionate about it and they’ll put up with the low pay and crunch and other crappy conditions. If you then throw their work away over a pointless attempt to sell some hardware that MS claimed is irrelevant to success? Can’t see that myself - then again, MS has closed a lot of stuff down without much fanfare before and it cost them an entire generation and their fans no games for years. If they didn’t learn from that mistake they deserve what comes next.
You are overreacting. Most multiplatform games work is done in multiplatform engines. Your work is not thrown to the bin when an exclusive is agreed

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Honestly guys I dont think the Bethesda deal is well, that big of a deal if "Some" games come to ps5. If sony gets the big expensive games like Elder scrolls and Fallouts but miss out on dooms and starfields, or vice versa, theyll be ok. If anything it will hopefully incentivize sony to have a proper RPG Studio or 2.
Sony would be fine if every game was fully exclusive.

I don't think Bethesda is even a top 10 publisher.

Lets not kid ourselves XSX has an advantage over on PS5, that being said PS5 isn't far behind XSX. As you can see some games PS5 performs better, some XSX performs better.
I don't know if we can say this. Most multiplats perform (more frames) better on PS5 with either the same resolution or a slightly reduced resolution. PS5 has the advantage of a higher and more stable framerate. Sometimes XSX has a bit higher resolution but with DRS and sometimes texture filtering being better on PS5, it's actually no visible for the players (while the framerate drops are very noticeable if you don't have VRR TV).

Dabaus

Banned

With their Current out put of one big game every 3 or 4 years id agree. Its not like MS has a reputation for cultivating good studios. Almost every MS studio proper besides playground is seeing almost all studio heads leave. 343, Coalition, Rare, the iniative. Its actually crazy if you think about it.

IntentionalPun

list your top 10 that doesnt include zenimax so i can laugh at how out of touch you are
Talking about video game publishers by revenue. How am I out of touch?

Good luck naming a big pub who doesn't have more revenue... why do you think Bethesda sold in the first place? lol

Don't get me wrong; it's a blow to Sony.. a decent sized one. But Sony will be "fine".

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
I think this refers to the ones that Sony bought exclusivity to. But everything else will be exclusive.

Stop kidding yourself bud.

What we’ll do in the long run is we don’t have intentions of just pulling all of Bethesda content out of Sony or Nintendo or otherwise,” Stuart said (transcribed by Seeking Alpha).

“But what we want is we want that content, in the long run, to be either first or better or best or pick your differentiated experience, on our platforms. We will want Bethesda content to show up the best as — on our platforms.

Why do people continue to delude themselves and ignore / twist statements to fit their narrative.

That desperate for "wins"?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Talking about video game publishers by revenue. How am I out of touch?

Good luck naming a big pub who doesn't have more revenue... why do you think Bethesda sold in the first place? lol

Don't get me wrong; it's a blow to Sony.. a decent sized one. But Sony will be "fine".

List your top 10 that doesnt include zenimax so i can laugh at how out of touch you are.

Lysandros

I don't know if we can say this. Most multiplats perform (more frames) better on PS5 with either the same resolution or a slightly reduced resolution. PS5 has the advantage of a higher and more stable framerate. Sometimes XSX has a bit higher resolution but with DRS and sometimes texture filtering being better on PS5, it's actually no visible for the players (while the framerate drops are very noticeable if you don't have VRR TV).
Furthermore we had examples where PS5 was better in both (resolution and framerate) like the 60 FPS mode in Dirt.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

If he's comparing revenue

EA
Ubisoft,
Take Two
Capcom
Square Enix
Activision
Bandai
Koei Tecmo
Ubisoft
Embracer

Are all bigger than Bethesda

Embracer, Koei Tecmo?
Absolutely not...Zenimax should have been in 1.8-2b range.
Platform holders excluded and mobile Zeni absolutely top 10 in console space.

Sounds more like you are choosing to see a negative. It's not like Bethesda is going out of business. You can still play their games and since it's MS you don't even need an Xbox to do so. I guess some people are glass half full and some are completely empty.
Oh my goodness why is this positive for you? you are not a shareholder.

You as gamer lost the access for those games in a couple of platforms that is not good and not Bethesda was not
in problems a for that reason needs to be save.

I play in PC, PS,Xbox and Nintendo I like to have the opportunity to choose where to play sorry if I don't like somebody
else told me I lost options. You are happy because a billion company told you cannot play those popular games in
another platforms.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Embracer, Koei Tecmo?
Dude.. really? lol.. do you realize how big Embracer is now?

And Koei Tecmo is absolutely larger than Bethesda. Probably a closer one there.. but in the end, we don't know Bethesda's revenue because they were private.

Calling people out of touch lol..

It's a worldwide market; there are games that we barely see in the West that make more revenue than anything Bethesda has put out in years.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Dude.. really? lol.. do you realize how big Embracer is now?

And Koei Tecmo is absolutely larger than Bethesda. Probably a closer one there.. but in the end, we don't know Bethesda's revenue because they were private.

Calling people out of touch lol..

It's a worldwide market; there are games that we barely see in the West that make more revenue than anything Bethesda has put out in years.
embracer is public so we know how big they are.

5 billion krona big.
5 billion krona in dollars?
588,515,000 dollars.

Thats half a billi....with nothing major expected till 2022.

And Zeni aint catching that?

hmmm?

Last edited:

DJ12

You should have actually read the article. The title is about the CPU which we know is the same apart from slight clock speed advantage for Xbox.
The article says the GPU is better in Xbox.
Tells person to read and article, and fails at it themselves.

The GPU comments is from the writer and is their opinion, the quote mentions nothing but the CPU.

Writers opinion:
The PS5 and the Xbox Series X both have advantages over the other in different areas where hardware and specifications are concerned. For instance, while the former has a much more impressive SSD, the latter has a leg up over its competitors where the GPU is concerned. In some areas, however, the two consoles are more on less on even footing, and according to Milestone’s Alex Zucca, who’s game director of the upcoming Monster Energy Supercross – The Official Videogame 4, the CPU is one such area.

Quote from the dev:
“The difference is so small that I honestly wouldn’t even call it a difference,” said Zucca. “As usual it is not always just about raw power to use, but about exploiting it in an clever and optimized way. Only time will allow us to understand, in terms of development, what advantages can be obtained from both CPUs: we are very excited to see the bright future unfolding before our eyes.”

Nothing about GPU in there pal, please wait until the full interview is released to see if it's in there.

Embracer, Koei Tecmo?

Think you've overestimated how big Zenmiax actually is

Outside of Bethesda they have

Tango - Evil Within 2, which under performed
Machinegames - Started last gen with a bang with Wolfenstien and gone downward since
ID - They've done well with DOOM, but sales aren't setting the world on fire. They're doing enought to pull their own weight
Arkane - Both Dishonered 2 and Prey under performed

And Zenimax Online

And that's it.

They're very much bottom tier as a big publisher

Last edited:

DJ12

Hopefully, and I say this as a Sony/PC fan, MS can stop the slide at Bethesda. I don't really play Elder Scrolls so won't comment on Skyrim, but Fallout has got worse every release since fallout 3 and I am yet to play a game without game breaking bugs from them.

Thank god for Nexusmods and the modders.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Think you've overestimated how big Zenmiax actually is

Outside of Bethesda they have

Tango - Evil Within 2, which under performed
Machinegames - Started last gen with a bang with Wolfenstien and gone downward since
ID - They've done well with DOOM, but sales aren't setting the world on fire. They're doing enought to pull their own weight
Arkane - Both Dishonered 2 and Prey under performed

And Zenimax Online

And that's it.

They're very much bottom tier as a big publisher

So embracer counts as large when one of Zenis games can practically match their revenue?
Okay my bad i overestimated ZeniMax we might never know their positioning but 2 billion sounds doable for them we'll hopefully get answers soon
But any publisher not in the billions shoudt be in the same convo as ZeniMax

So embracer counts as large when one of Zenis games can practically match their revenue?
Okay my bad i overestimated ZeniMax we might never know their positioning but 2 billion sounds doable for them we'll hopefully get answers soon
But any publisher not in the billions shoudt be in the same convo as ZeniMax

Zenimax can only reach billions with Elder Scrolls, Fallout and the Starfield IP. They've only survived thanks to them.

You're going to see Embracer fly past Bethesda in the coming years in terms of revenue

As an organisation they're already much bigger than Zenimax.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness why is this positive for you? you are not a shareholder.

You as gamer lost the access for those games in a couple of platforms that is not good and not Bethesda was not
in problems a for that reason needs to be save.

I play in PC, PS,Xbox and Nintendo I like to have the opportunity to choose where to play sorry if I don't like somebody
else told me I lost options. You are happy because a billion company told you cannot play those popular games in
another platforms.
Well actually I am a shareholder but that isn't the point. The was a rumor that Bethesda was losing money and now they are part of a company that has plenty of resources to support the hobby I love. Again if any other company like Sony or Nintendo had bought them you can count on gamers having games taken away.

Since MS does not require anyone to buy their box they aren't taking anything from anyone. They will still honor current contracts. Only people who refuse to own a pc or Xbox or use cloud gaming are 'losing' anything and people that closed minded are less gamers but platform fanatics.

I totally think this was a good thing and I'm looking forward to seeing what the joint venture will create. Better this than paying companies to specifically deny content to other platforms for IP they don't own. Plus now maybe Xbox will have games since people think they don't have any.

Well actually I am a shareholder but that isn't the point. The was a rumor that Bethesda was losing money and now they are part of a company that has plenty of resources to support the hobby I love. Again if any other company like Sony or Nintendo had bought them you can count on gamers having games taken away.

Since MS does not require anyone to buy their box they aren't taking anything from anyone. They will still honor current contracts. Only people who refuse to own a pc or Xbox or use cloud gaming are 'losing' anything and people that closed minded are less gamers but platform fanatics.

I totally think this was a good thing and I'm looking forward to seeing what the joint venture will create. Better this than paying companies to specifically deny content to other platforms for IP they don't own. Plus now maybe Xbox will have games since people think they don't have any.

Dude come on drop this stupid argument already lol

Sony buys Bethesda and only release on PS = games are taken away

Microsoft buys Bethesda and only release on Xbox + PC = games are taken away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom