• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what I've come to realize? Some ppl dont want the PS5 to be better at....anything....., have ....any.... advantage over the XSX. None. It literally scares some ppl. Its been this way ever since the speculations. Any wild speculation that favored the PS5 had to be stomped out by those wanting ppl to temper expectations. Like clock work...

I remember once upon a time many accepted the XSX would be better at everything period, and the PS5 would just hold its own.. like the Pro vs One X. Reality has messed up many minds it seems.
PS5 has plenty of advantages the main being games. Sony has a very successful platform and gamers and developers praise them all the time. I'm shocked you haven't noticed especially on this forum. There are plenty of detractors against the XSX on this forum as well and many who think that platform has nothing to offer and should not even exist. In the end of course both offer pros and cons and if you are a gamer you'd see every platform offers unique features and they all have a rightful place in the market.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
plenty of detractors against the XSX on this forum as well and many who think that platform has nothing to offer and should not even exist
Boom... what an exaggeration and it is Sony fans that have the victim complex now, right?!?
Eat Grilled Cheese GIF by Dietz & Watson

J jroc74 was talking about HW advantages being dismissed/hand waved away and you reacted by doing just that btw .

Last edited:

Neo_game

I don't understand why many people think it's non issue use the bandwidth configuration on series X until the infamous 10 GB limits. It's an unified hardware configuration splitted virtually. A lot of perfomance could be left on the table.

Although it is unified memory with different bus width. The faster pool can only get compromised if slower pool is also been accessed simultaneously and there is no reason for that to happen if games are using 10gb or less memory.

bitbydeath

:LOL: so MS waited for AMD to finalise RDNA2 and this is why the tools were sub par, but they simultaneously did not wait for RDNA2 to finalise.
gymnastics GIF
Sony hit production a month after Xbox so I guess they waited for RDNA3. 🤷‍♂️

Although it is unified memory with different bus width. The faster pool can only get compromised if slower pool is also been accessed simultaneously and there is no reason for that to happen if games are using 10gb or less memory.

You can't access both the slow and fast pools simultaneously. They're the same physical RAM chips connected by the same physical lanes for data transport.

You can't access both the slow and fast pools simultaneously. They're the same physical RAM chips connected by the same physical lanes for data transport.

Yes. I'm really surprised that so many people can't (don't want?) understand that the Series X memory part is based on unified memory, with simply virtual split due to non uniform GB quantity for each chip (four 1GB chips + six 2GB chips).

Last edited:

Neff

Congrats on getting lucky. Out of interest, how and where did you net your PS5?
Joined a PS5 alerts Discord, got a tip-off regarding a big game.co.uk shipment/time, and waited. I'd only been actively trying to get one for about a week, so I think I did good.

Rumor says that it should be fixed with the next update. It's annoying, I agree.
Let's hope so. It's my only serious complaint about the console.

Well, i'm sure that wouldn't be a problem if you bought the Digital😜😜
For one thing, I have way too many PS4 disc games. For another, there's nothing to stop me buying digital games and just leaving the drive empty, which apparently will solve the problem. They do need to fix it though.

Yes, you can. With PS4 to PS5 data transfer. Still have an old USB with screenshots of PS4 games. Easily can be watched, though. But yes, you can't import them afterwards. In Storage > "Media and Gallery" a tab USB appear when USB is connected to PS5. Maybe future OFW will enable to copy screenshots from USB to internal PS5 storage
Well shit. I'm sure I tried that. In fact, I'm sure I told the PS5 to basically copy everything from the PS4, but all it carried over was the accounts. I wouldn't be surprised if the transfer process is bugged, the whole thing feels a bit ragged at the moment.

Please tell me you're in Canada?
Nope, sorry. UK.

doesnt that effectively reduce the ram allocation to 10 gb? why would they ever need to access the slower ram over the faster ram?

Not sure I have completely understood your question, but I'd say:
Simply because some "parts" does not require big bandwidth, for example the CPU part which require mainly small latencies instead of big bandwidth (that's why the CPU has the priority access to the memory). The "slow" pool has already a big bandwidth for most of the componants in fact, only the GPU really require the big bandwidth provided by the "fast" pool.
But you can keep all your datas in the fast 10GB pool if overall you don't need more than 10GB of memory.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
PS5 has plenty of advantages the main being games. Sony has a very successful platform and gamers and developers praise them all the time. I'm shocked you haven't noticed especially on this forum. There are plenty of detractors against the XSX on this forum as well and many who think that platform has nothing to offer and should not even exist. In the end of course both offer pros and cons and if you are a gamer you'd see every platform offers unique features and they all have a rightful place in the market.

Those opinions are as valid as those that are against Stadia and others. It can’t be denied that in three generations of consoles, MS has shown what kind of company it is in relation to the industry. Time and time again it shows it has little interest in the games themselves, and it’s priority has been to position the box as a driver for whatever ulterior motive it has, which appears to be services. And in that sense, there’s little to distinguish them from Google or others aside from the fact that they entered the market earlier.

That said I am of the opinion that competition is healthy, and that there’s no reason to fear the Silicon Valley boys and their love affair for turning costumers into product. PlayStation and Nintendo ain’t going away. It’s also too late for MS to turn Windows into a closed platform, so the PC market is also out of reach.

Last edited:
doesnt that effectively reduce the ram allocation to 10 gb? why would they ever need to access the slower ram over the faster ram?

Not really. The higher bandwidth of the fast pool is only really needed for the GPU. The cpu needs a tenth of that bandwidth, and so the slower pool will generally contain all the game logic and game simulation data, while the faster pool will be almost exclusively accessed by the GPU for graphics rendering.

Neo_game

Not really. The higher bandwidth of the fast pool is only really needed for the GPU. The cpu needs a tenth of that bandwidth, and so the slower pool will generally contain all the game logic and game simulation data, while the faster pool will be almost exclusively accessed by the GPU for graphics rendering.

I am not sure about it but it has 10 * 56gb/sec and the memory controller can make sure that only wider bus interface is used if game is using 10gb or less. More than that it has no option and 560gb/sec is going to take a hit depending on how much memory is used.

Boom... what an exaggeration and it is Sony fans that have the victim complex now, right?!?
Eat Grilled Cheese GIF by Dietz & Watson

J jroc74 was talking about HW advantages being dismissed/hand waved away and you reacted by doing just that btw .
It does have a hardware advantage. There is no other hardware capable of playing Sony developed titles. Their games have quite the following. The games are all that matters right?

Just because you are oblivious to negative Xbox commentary doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Besides I was certain it was just Xbox gamers that had the persecution complex. Sony is sitting pretty.

Those opinions are as valid as those that are against Stadia and others. It can’t be denied that in three generations of consoles, MS has shown what kind of company it is in relation to the industry. Time and time again it shows it has little interest in the games themselves, and it’s priority has been to position the box as a driver for whatever ulterior motive it has, which appears to be services. And in that sense, there’s little to distinguish them from Google or others aside from the fact that they entered the market earlier.

That said I am of the opinion that competition is healthy, and that there’s no reason to fear the Silicon Valley boys and their love affair for turning costumers into product. PlayStation and Nintendo ain’t going away. It’s also too late for MS to turn Windows into a closed platform, so the PC market is also out of reach.
You might not have noticed but MS has picked up quite a few new studios lately. If they aren't interested in making games they are making the wrong moves. Time will tell how many or few games those studios create.

No one wants Nintendo or Sony to go away but from all the platforms out MS is doing the most to respect games I bought years ago. The fact I can pop in a game from 2004 and still play it is pretty great. Not bad from a platform that has 'little interest in the games'.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just realized that I missed the 6700xt reveal. The specs are very interesting since its close to the PS5 GPU as we have seen so far.

Y8b4Jh5.jpg

The base frequency is the max frequency of the PS5 GPU. It's interesting that it goes all the way up to 2.58 ghz. Didnt cerny say the logic gives out after you hit 2.23 ghz?

I wonder if the 96MB of infinity cache is making the difference here.

Just realized that I missed the 6700xt reveal. The specs are very interesting since its close to the PS5 GPU as we have seen so far.

Y8b4Jh5.jpg

The base frequency is the max frequency of the PS5 GPU. It's interesting that it goes all the way up to 2.58 ghz. Didnt cerny say the logic gives out after you hit 2.23 ghz?

I wonder if the 96MB of infinity cache is making the difference here.
I remember RGT early last year was talking about the RDNA 2 information, he stated that at the time of the PS5's production (design), AMD were hitting 2.23 Ghz on the GPU and were struggling to go beyond that because of the same reason Cerny cited which was a breakdown of on-chip logic.

So it's very plausible that by the time of the RDNA 2 release AMD had figured out how to go beyond and push to 2.5 Ghz with no issues, this may have been down changes on the silicon level as well.

I'm guessing Sony were already happy with the 2.23 Ghz figure and it has already been too late to incorporate changes on the silicon level because of production schedule and logistics.

I am not sure about it but it has 10 * 56gb/sec and the memory controller can make sure that only wider bus interface is used if game is using 10gb or less. More than that it has no option and 560gb/sec is going to take a hit depending on how much memory is used.

Not quite. The XSX uses 10x GDDR6 memory chips. Each chip has 32 lanes, so 32 x 10 gives your 320 bit bus width. It's a single common bus.

The slow and fast pools are created by some of the chips being of differing density, i.e. 6x 2GByte chips + 4x 1GByte.

The chips are samsung's 14Gbits/s chips, so the bandwidth is calculated by this by the number of lanes accessed on RAM chips.

So the 10GB fast pool is all 10x chips for 32 lanes per chip x 14Gbits per sec x 1/8 bits per Byte x 10 chips = 560GB/s. The first 1GB on the 2GB density chips is accessed for this pool.

For the slower pool: 32 lanes per chip x 6 chips x 14Gbits/sec x 1/8 bits per Byte = 336 GB/s. For this pool the second 1GB of the 6x 2GB density chips is accessed.

Since you're accessing the same physical chips, over the same physical bus, for each pool, it's phsyically impossible to access both at the same time. Access is inter leaved.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

martino

now let's wait to see rgt reaction when he will discover mesh/primitive shader objective is to use compute to replace geometry fixed function when you need more flexible and optimized code...
he could have read all that sooner....it's not serious imo...
I still think the sony collaboration with amd is the reason why they have now a working ngg in rdna2 (unlike vega/rdna fiasco)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom