• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Agreed. But it's funny how this works sometimes.

I don't know if all departments communicate with each other. Wouldn't it make sense NOT to put two potential, decently big games in the same month and instead spread it out? I guess there's other logistics we don't know. Figure some Companies would know by now.
I think it comes down to one being basically a first party game and the other a timed third party with their target dates, initially.

This usually doesn't happen too often with first party to first party unless there are actual delays due to getting the retail code up to snuff.

Last edited:
You did, just now? I keep speaking on popularity and you keep detracting from it. At least try to back up your claims my guy

If you check the messages I sent, I didn’t at any point put GT above Forza. I can’t really put one over the other when I haven’t played a Forza game fully in a couple years

Weird conclusion you’re reaching when the highest selling exclusive on PS2 and PS3 were Gran Turismo games. GT Sport is still within the top selling PS4 exclusives and that wasn’t even a “true” GT game. If people were only buying PlayStation for their single player third person games...I doubt they’d sell that high
Uh no. What excuse was I making? I think Forza is a better racing franchise than GT and most people aren't buying PlayStation for GT. I stand by that even if you show a YouTube video with more views. You have to realize with the number of units Sony sells its not surprising that most of their franchises sell well. I never said Sony games don't sell on PlayStation that would be a silly position. Still single player, 3rd person games are their forte.

It's best to ignore him bud, he seems to do this a lot.

Anyone with some common sense would be able to recognise that Gran Turismo is a huge, huge system seller (hence why it keeps getting made with a huge budget).
It maybe a big franchise but it isn't the draw it was during the PS2 days when there was no real competition. Unlike their single player 3rd person titles though, gamers have other better options and that partially explains the series decline. We'll see how the next one turns out.

dcmk7

Banned
Uh no. What excuse was I making? I think Forza is a better racing franchise than GT and most people aren't buying PlayStation for GT. I stand by that even if you show a YouTube video with more views. You have to realize with the number of units Sony sells its not surprising that most of their franchises sell well. I never said Sony games don't sell on PlayStation that would be a silly position. Still single player, 3rd person games are their forte.

It maybe a big franchise but it isn't the draw it was during the PS2 days when there was no real competition. Unlike their single player 3rd person titles though, gamers have other better options and that partially explains the series decline. We'll see how the next one turns out.

GT Sport is estimated to have sold 8 million copies, and that was way back in 2019, so be safe to assume it's a bit more than that now.

Since GT Sport isn't even a mainline entry in the series and still sold like hot cakes (despite lots of competition apparently) which part of that is the decline?

I think we can all bank on the next mainline entry doing better than GT Sport, in both sales and critically.

Those figures hardly paint a picture of a game franchise in decline, now do they?

GT Sport is estimated to have sold 8 million copies, and that was way back in 2019, so be safe to assume it's a bit more than that now.

Since GT Sport isn't even a mainline entry in the series and still sold like hot cakes (despite lots of competition apparently) which part of that is the decline?

I think we can all bank on the next mainline entry doing better than GT Sport, in both sales and critically.

Those figures hardly paint a picture of a game franchise in decline, now do they?
In an age where racing games aren't even as popular as they once were, GT Sport selling 8-12m copies is pretty impressive.

I don't think the latest Forza game sold half that.

FrankWza

GT franchise is an absolute system seller. There are people who buy PlayStations and a wheel and don’t play any other game but GT.

NewChoppa

Banned
Uh no. What excuse was I making?

We’re going in circles.

I think Forza is a better racing franchise than GT

Hey, good for you. It’s your opinion - I’m not gonna challenge it.

and most people aren't buying PlayStation for GT.

GT is a system seller. Check any social media, check YouTube comments, could even check here - you’ll find people that’ll state they’ll only buy a PS5 for GT7, or when GT7 eventually releases. But yeah, guess you’re right - people aren’t buying PlayStations for GT.

Last edited:
For the target audience XSS is a better deal than the PS5 DE especially since f2p games will truly be free on the XSS. You would be better making the argument that the PS5 DE is a better deal than the XSX over the XSS.

You heavily underestimate inteligence of casual audience. PS5 DE is better deal than both XSX and XSS
Finally Forza has surpassed Gran Turismo in popularity and quality so if racing games were my thing I would NOT count on Sony to deliver that for me.

Most gamers wouldn't put GT over Forza.

You can believe that GT is a better racing franchise than Forza if you want it's not a generally accepted idea

And otherwise is generally accepted idea? Yeah, sure. :/

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I don't know of any apps that support a resume feature. I was just referring to sandboxed apps in general, which in theory should support some kind of fast resume if it was needed. But most apps on PC launch in fractions of a second as it is, so not much need really.
Windows apps do it by launching a separate process. Every tab in chrome is actually a separate instance of the chrome.exe, with one container EXE referencing them.

That's just process isolation; not full memory sandboxing from the OS itself as the memory for that process is still tied to OS resources. So no, these apps can't actually do a full memory dump, as you can't mem-dump and restore shared OS resources.

You need an actual separate kernel running on top of the host OS or running at the hardware level like MS does. A hypervisor. That's also what emulators use. This is not "simple" for any app to do.

There may be windows apps that use hypervisors though; but.. I've never really heard of any. It's unnecessary, since most apps can "resume" by just storing small bits of data (Chrome caches the URLs of the pages you were browsing, that's all the data it needs to resume.. it doesn't need to, nor should it, dump all the memory a tab or set of tabs is using)

Last edited:

roops67

Mine is not 5g in the US which is why I wanted to delay buying a phone...
So strange, can't ever figure out why Sony cuts features with the American market. For awhile they had disabled the fingerprint reader for US, that turned out to be cos of Apple jumping on their back for infringement, Apple had patented the combined reader and power switch wtf! But now no 5G, everybody else is doing 5G so what patent can they be possibly infringing now?!

I know Sony had been sued numerous times in the past, and America is the land of litigations and the right to sue. But so has so many other corporations been sued regularly. I guess cos Sony is not made of bags of money they are a lot more cautious and walking a tight line, once bitten twice shy maybe

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Windows apps do it by launching a separate process. Every tab in chrome is actually a separate instance of the chrome.exe, with one container EXE referencing them.

That's just process isolation; not full memory sandboxing from the OS itself as the memory for that process is still tied to OS resources. So no, these apps can't actually do a full memory dump, as you can't mem-dump and restore shared OS resources.

You need an actual separate kernel running on top of the host OS or running at the hardware level like MS does. A hypervisor. That's also what emulators use. This is not "simple" for any app to do.

There may be windows apps that use hypervisors though; but.. I've never really heard of any. It's unnecessary, since most apps can "resume" by just storing small bits of data (Chrome caches the URLs of the pages you were browsing, that's all the data it needs to resume.. it doesn't need to, nor should it, dump all the memory a tab or set of tabs is using)
You can do virtualization on a shared kernel though, that's how Windows sandboxes apps in Windows 10X, Android and iOs do the same. As do basic linux containers and Virtuozzo/OpenVZ. Are you 100% sure that PS does not institute any software based containment, even if it was just isolated segments of memory? Seems crazy to think that they would not enforce some level of isolation.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
You can do virtualization on a shared kernel though, that's how Windows sandboxes apps in Windows 10X, Android and iOs do the same. As do basic linux containers and Virtuozzo/OpenVZ. Are you 100% sure that PS does not institute any software based containment, even if it was just isolated segments of memory? Seems crazy to think that they would not enforce some level of isolation.

Containerization is not virtualization. (you might hear the word, but it's really a misuse.. and you won't hear a dev use that term, because it's.. confusing.. everyone knows virtualization generally means hardware virtualization.. all containers do is isolate the "user space")

Why in the world would Playstation use.. containers? lol But if they did.. that doesn't matter, containers use the hosts Kernel.. same problem as we've been talking about.

But.. umm.. of course.. "software based containment" is used.. it's called.. processes. These processes are far too complex to do memory dumps on consistently across all games. You can dump some processes in linux, with hacky tools.. but there's a reason this isn't natively supported in Linux.. and really has nothing to do with containers. Docker has no such functionality for instance.. you have to install hacky linux shit inside of your Linux container, then you can call that hacky shit from Docker, but that's different, and it'll break depending on what processes you have running.

Last edited:

Barakov

Make sense. 😉 😂

znZG0HA.png

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I disagree. For the target audience XSS is a better deal than the PS5 DE especially since f2p games will truly be free on the XSS. You would be better making the argument that the PS5 DE is a better deal than the XSX over the XSS. If saving money is the goal of a casual gamer they will not want to pay an additional $100 for the privilege of playing on a Sony platform. The technical advantages will not outweigh the extra cost especially seeing how to this very day you cannot expand PS5 game storage AT ALL and we are 3 months in to this generation. With f2p games being free now and Gamepass, the service hated by Sony fans, but popular with normal people, XSS is a very attractive offer for the casual gamer. You might want to look in the mirror with your last statement.
F2P games have always been completely free on Playstation Consoles.

DaGwaphics

Containerization is not virtualization. (you might hear the word, but it's really a misuse.. and you won't hear a dev use that term, because it's.. confusing.. everyone knows virtualization generally means hardware virtualization.. all containers do is isolate the "user space")

Why in the world would Playstation use.. containers? lol But if they did.. that doesn't matter, containers use the hosts Kernel.. same problem as we've been talking about.

But.. umm.. of course.. "software based containment" is used.. it's called.. processes. These processes are far too complex to do memory dumps on consistently across all games. You can dump some processes in linux, with hacky tools.. but there's a reason this isn't natively supported in Linux.. and really has nothing to do with containers. Docker has no such functionality for instance.. you have to install hacky linux shit inside of your Linux container, then you can call that hacky shit from Docker, but that's different, and it'll break depending on what processes you have running.

I think LXC is supported by the linux kernel natively, no? It's certainly quite possible, probably likely that it wouldn't work for a quick resume feature, I was just thinking they would utilize that or FreeBSD jails. But you are right, I was thinking of disk snapshots and not memory again. I have no idea how PS OS operates, LOL. This is a very touchy subject for you. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

GT3 sold almost 15 million copies which might be less than what the last GT sold but maybe decline is the wrong word despite lower sales. Regardless of the sales trajectory of GT people buy PlayStation for their single player 3rd person games its been that way for a while now.

F2P games have always been completely free on Playstation Consoles.
That is totally true. Glad MS followed their lead. Let's hope Sony does the same with cloud saves something that was always free on Xbox.

RaZoR No1

Forza Motorsport is indeed in decline... it was a move made by MS with Forza Horizon.
The spin-off is now the main game in the franchise.
IMO Forza Motorsport is in decline, because the marked is saturated with the FM series atm. Since FM5 we (I exaggerate it a bit here) got the same game with some tweeks, new UI and more cars (dont forget the microtransaction fiasco in FM7, which was patched out).
But in comparision to GT we had 3 FM and 3 FH games in the same timeline.
FM tried to satisfy all car fans, now they should be able to focus on the motorsport aspect (like GT Sport) thanks to FH series.

For me the general carlist, options and features in Forza are better. GT Sport excels in competitive online play and the love for details. Forza feels a bit to generic where GT manages to create a nice atmosphere even outside of races. Additionally as a JDM fan, I love it that Polyphony Digital has good connections to the japanese car manufactures and therefore we get concept cars or new cars faster.

Last edited:
nonsense. Hitman is native 4k 60 fps on xsx and only 1080p 60 fps on xss. thats 4x more power.

The same is true for several other games.

I have read some tweets from him and I remember him tweeting the wrong Hitman 3 comparison video, it's just fucking useless fanboy garbage, totally ridiculous :D

dcmk7

Banned
GT3 sold almost 15 million copies which might be less than what the last GT sold but maybe decline is the wrong word despite lower sales. Regardless of the sales trajectory of GT people buy PlayStation for their single player 3rd person games its been that way for a while now.

That is totally true. Glad MS followed their lead. Let's hope Sony does the same with cloud saves something that was always free on Xbox.

So a game that sold 12 million copies isn't a system seller? Which wasn't even a mainline entry, as I'm sure you're aware

It is good to see you dropped your daft claim that Forza is more popular than GT.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom