• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

reksveks

What a wonderful job from Sony! Just finished it. Glad they didn't give it to pseudo youtubers and send a clear video explaining the highlights in a short and effective way!

4ilon3.jpg

except for Japanese ones...

Shmunter

Sony delivering on UI evolution. Was concerned for it to be nearly imperceptible over PS4, instead it’s fresh with massive new features. And pretty. Props.

What we didn’t see, and I guess indirectly verified - no multi title resume which is a shame. Maybe they will bring it in at some point, no reason not to with Ssd speeds.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Thank you Kanye, very cool!

Looks fast & useful, nice fresh look for next gen. :messenger_clapping:

Sounds like PS5 will use around ~ 3 GB of the 16 GB for the system OS, same as PS4.

"I was concerned that such a rich level of functionality may well be taking system resources away from the game developer, whether that's in terms of CPU time, GPU or memory. Sony isn't giving away any numbers on what the system allocation is, and neither is it confirming how much useable space is available on the SSD. However, the aim is to deliver the new features with the same kind of system allocation developers currently work with on current-gen platforms."

"Hardware resource is limited and defined, and it's shared between the game and our system side," confirms Hideaki Nishino. "We define how much of the resource can be spent by the system side, but it's a similar amount [to] what we are doing with PlayStation 4. That's a philosophical thing: we are trying to give as much power and resource as possible back to the game side, because the game is the core, and then we bring Control Centre and Activity Cards while minimising the [system] resources we spend."

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

There are issues with the XSX box in terms of VRR currently, which didn't help. And I agree with you to some extent about the spotlight being on them due to the 343 mess up. So, while MS has some fault, I personally believe it is mostly Codemasters. Why does Dirt Rally and Dirt 4 look better than Dirt 5? That's on Codemasters not Microsoft.
IS the game on gamepass? As codies are talented - maybe even more so now if they have more talent from evolution studios - so what if the 3rd party gamepass strategy is as follows? 1. Take a big bucket of cash from Xbox, 2: Take your current game, look at the lowest PC specs, make the game 120Hz and 60hz with some insignificant bells - and no whistles for this version 1.5 A only. 3. Use gamepass as a 6month advertising campaign for awareness of your game, and promoting your gameplay before full price 2.5x AA full knockout versions at £70 on both consoles.

If that is the strategy, it might have worked had Halo not put such pressure on everything being shown.

reksveks

PS5 UI looks great, but I do wonder how much resources it will eat up. 🤷‍♂️
Think DF raised that as an unanswered question, I also want to know how much network data it's going to be using apparently a part of the slowness of the ps4 ui is that it doesn't actually cache the images for thumbnails in certain parts of the ui (game library I think)

reksveks

IS the game on gamepass? As codies are talented - maybe even more so now if they have more talent from evolution studios - so what if the 3rd party gamepass strategy is as follows? 1. Take a big bucket of cash from Xbox, 2: Take your current game, look at the lowest PC specs, make the game 120Hz and 60hz with some insignificant bells - and no whistles for this version 1.5 A only. 3. Use gamepass as a 6month advertising campaign for awareness of your game, and promoting your gameplay before full price 2.5x AA full knockout versions at £70 on both consoles.

If that is the strategy, it might have worked had Halo not put such pressure on everything being shown.

Not on gamepass

LordOfChaos

Think DF raised that as an unanswered question, I also want to know how much network data it's going to be using apparently a part of the slowness of the ps4 ui is that it doesn't actually cache the images for thumbnails in certain parts of the ui (game library I think)

Yeah I'm hoping this is all gone. The networking bits are the networking bits but you can definitely decouple UI slowness from that. Plus the PS4 used a webview, which is also why it was terrible on Jaguar single core performance.

I hope they're going all native all the time next gen, including the revamped mobile app

I'm not sure that's the kind of marketing MS want for gamepass. Put your janky ass games on gamepass, then spend the time to polish them up and release them proper for full price.

sircaw

Banned

youtube link :

Slick and i must say it looks really really nice.

Once again Sony has put a lot of thought into their system, i am not even sure i will use half of this stuff lol.

Being able to send messages with the mic instead of typing is a godsend to me. I have like one friend on my ps4 profile, yes you heard that right, and the amount of abuse he puts up with will now Triple. What a feature.

Loading is so on point. :messenger_heart: that's really what i care about the most.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

PS5 UI won't lag due to network speeds, unlike the PS4 UI.

"There's a focus on instant access to everything you need - delivered thanks to the new, faster Zen 2 CPU cores and the ultra-fast SSD solution, supplemented by a caching system to reduce potential network lag. On top of that, certain apps like the PlayStation Store are now fully integrated into the system, meaning no delay when you access them."

reksveks

Well, even influencers showed it in it's real form, which was crashing. That's one goal scored, I guess.

That's fine if it keeps crashing at launch then it's an issue. Think there might be a couple of situations where xbox needs to figure out how to gracefully return from quick resume which is an issue unless they have already figured out.

That's irrelevant to the point that both companies use influencers. Separately, on a launch day I rather have a review of a device used for two months over 2 weeks honestly.

I don't have a problem with that, just needs to be someone that is non-biased towards gaming and knows what they are talking about when it comes to the hardware, which most of these 'influencers' don't

user1337

Well I really like the new UI feature set. Some very well thought out stuff. Looking forward to spending some time going through every single option when the console releases.

UI looks awesome. But ... I was hoping for an easier way to pull captured photos/videos off the PS5 to a phone, maybe through the PSapp. Seems like that won't be possible.
But the rest ... damn!
We don't know anything about the app integration yet. We also don't know if the app will allow you to "directly" connect to the PS5 to be able to move images ad videos. Worst case, it doesn't and we continue to send our alt PSN accounts pictures to then download on the app. :messenger_smiling:

SSfox

wow so DF got an early look at the UI after all. This is what I wanted Sony to do.

It's surprising that Sony didnt send them the console. But it;s good to see them treat DF with some respect and show them this stuff early.

I guess Sony was just too tired about hearing them whining all the time "MUH Sony didn't sent us this, MUH Sony didn't sent us that...", so they sent them this to shut them up for (at least) a bit

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I guess Sony was just too tired about hearing them whining all the time "MUH Sony didn't sent us this, MUH Sony didn't sent us that...", so they sent them this to shut them up for (at least) a bit
I think Sony was more like "Oh no XSX is getting way too many articles on DF, let's give them something too". So Sony send them something because they were scared.

Easy isn't it :)

Last edited by a moderator:

reksveks

"There's a focus on instant access to everything you need - delivered thanks to the new, faster Zen 2 CPU cores and the ultra-fast SSD solution, supplemented by a caching system to reduce potential network lag. On top of that, certain apps like the PlayStation Store are now fully integrated into the system, meaning no delay when you access them."

Thats a major improvement to the UI.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Brits call the trunk "the boot". Sedans are "saloons", the hood is the "bonnet", and they call that cunt "queen". Idk weird people over there.

Oh geez...thanks! I'd heard "bonnet" before. I have to think I've heard 'boot' before as well, but damn....could not place that for the life of me! lol! Too funny.

lol on your comment about the queen as well. I thought that term was just what we Americans had called King George III! :)

Dodkrake

Banned
Sounds like PS5 will use around ~ 3 GB of the 16 GB for the system OS, same as PS4.

"I was concerned that such a rich level of functionality may well be taking system resources away from the game developer, whether that's in terms of CPU time, GPU or memory. Sony isn't giving away any numbers on what the system allocation is, and neither is it confirming how much useable space is available on the SSD. However, the aim is to deliver the new features with the same kind of system allocation developers currently work with on current-gen platforms."

"Hardware resource is limited and defined, and it's shared between the game and our system side," confirms Hideaki Nishino. "We define how much of the resource can be spent by the system side, but it's a similar amount [to] what we are doing with PlayStation 4. That's a philosophical thing: we are trying to give as much power and resource as possible back to the game side, because the game is the core, and then we bring Control Centre and Activity Cards while minimising the [system] resources we spend."

Isn't the PS5 around 2.5GB?

FranXico

Claiming no lag is an oversimplification, but it should lag less, indeed.

kyliethicc

Isn't the PS5 around 2.5GB?
On PS4 Pro I think its 2.5 of the 8 GB GDDR5 because Sony added more DDR3 and wanted to give devs more than 5 GB for games on Pro.

But the base PS4 (I think) is 5 for games, 3 for OS. I think its safe to assume PS5 will give devs around 13 for games. Maybe 13.5 like Xbox, but its not gonna be all 16 GB like some people think. The OS will need some of it to render the UI in native 4K HDR and be fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom