• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Md Ray

That's vague anyway. We'll need solid numbers.
Series X is already getting tapped out in X1X's 4K unlocked frame-rate games. Plenty of titles were running under 60fps. The bottleneck being Series X's 560 GB/s bandwidth, according to Richard. Despite a 2x TF boost, games aren't able to get consistent 2x the frame-rate of One X (more like ~1.7x on avg). Makes sense as the bandwidth from One X to Series X is only a 1.72x increase. That said, MS has confirmed to him that those back-compat titles aren't tapping into RDNA 2's architectural improvements. If back-compat games were to take advantage of RDNA 2's improvements, it'd be an extra 1.25x in favor of SX.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
However, it's important to stress one thing: while Series X runs old games with full clocks, every compute unit and the full 12 teraflop of compute, it does so in compatibility mode - you aren't getting the considerable architectural performance boosts offered by the RDNA 2 architecture.

What solid numbers are you looking for? The xbox in bc mode doesn't seem to downclock or disable cu by default. You should maybe expect the same for the ps5 although maybe a part of the bc issue is from going from one fixed system to one variable system.

First, you don't reach max utilization, let's just keep that aside. Then again, PS5 will run games at their native clocks, and even shut CU's off to avoid problems. That's why it'll support 99% of the 4000+ titles instead of emulation. Some will benefit from PS5 boost mode though.

Anyway, BC mode never saturates system full power.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
No way in hell is the PS4 Pro dashboard that loud lol. I'm sitting right next to mine and I don't hear it. During some games it's a jet engine but let's not BS here.

Depends. Before logging in, at that prompt, my PS4 Pro is dead silent. The fan ramps up a bit after login and then goes silent. If I have a game running and press the PS button to go to Dashboard while the game is running, depending on the game, the fan goes into high gear and my PS4 PRO is really loud. The same with Call of Duty Modern Warfare when at it's in game menu.

The situations change.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I totally think the shells for the console and the controller will be a nice market

A gun metal grey with the black would be

giphy.gif

reksveks

First, you don't reach max utilization, let's just keep that aside. Then again, PS5 won't run games at their native clocks, and even shut CU's off to avoid problems. That's why it'll support 99% of the 4000+ titles instead of emulation.

Anyway, BC mode never saturates systems full power.

The Microsoft solution definitely doesn't use the full system power, it's definitely leaving some power on the table by running gcn emulation on the RDNA 2 architecture however that's completely independent of clocks and cu. That's in the digital foundry video.

Dodkrake

Banned
Who was it that said the xbox SSD was faster than the PS5 because it had 2.4 GB/s SUSTAINED speed while the PS5 only reached 5.5 GB/s as the peak? :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

There were plenty here. There was even a thread trying to prove that it was faster than the ps5 SSD because of the velocity architecture. We were reaching 20GB/s speeds already with all sorts of creative maths.

Quantum Velocity Architecture.

Dodkrake

Banned
Damn that is really silent. Nice!

Also, it seems copying and transferring data is very fast. I have no idea how 500MB/s on a damn console is low for some people. A few minutes for a 40GB game. COME ON. We've been playing on turtle-like consoles for almost a decade. Don't be an asshole. That's fast as fuck.

The thing is: Mentally Ill people and Xbox execs have been promising and selling ultra super duper SSD speeds that would break the space time continuum. Now, somehow the super Uber fast 2.4GB/s are nothing more than 500MB/s.

This is in line with their quick resume and game load speeds, which shows that Microsoft is being super pro-consumer by LYING about the console specs and capabilities.

But this is ok, because 12TF and Quantum Velocity Architecture. And "quick" resume. And no Next gen games.

KingT731

Depends. Before logging in, at that prompt, my PS4 Pro is dead silent. The fan ramps up a bit after login and then goes silent. If I have a game running and press the PS button to go to Dashboard while the game is running, depending on the game, the fan goes into high gear and my PS4 PRO is really loud. The same with Call of Duty Modern Warfare when at it's in game menu.

The situations change.
The article made no mention of that being during gameplay or anything else. It just says the dashboard. If that were the case either way it would be extremely misleading don't you think?

Okamiden

If I have a game running and press the PS button to go to Dashboard while the game is running, depending on the game, the fan goes into high gear and my PS4 PRO is really loud. The same with Call of Duty Modern Warfare when at it's in game menu.
Always wondered why this happening. Anyone have any idea? On my launch PS4 this is absolutely mental

Last edited:
Series X is already getting tapped out in X1X's 4K unlocked frame-rate games. Plenty of titles were running under 60fps. The bottleneck being Series X's 560 GB/s bandwidth, according to Richard. Despite a 2x TF boost, games aren't able to get consistent 2x the frame-rate of One X (more like ~1.7x on avg). Makes sense as the bandwidth from One X to Series X is only a 1.72x increase. That said, MS has confirmed to him that those back-compat titles aren't tapping into RDNA 2's architectural improvements. If back-compat games were to take advantage of RDNA 2's improvements, it'd be an extra 1.25x in favor of SX.
The bandwidth is not the main bottleneck. I doubt many XBX games are bottlenecked by the generous bandwidth. The main bottleneck is the wide GPU design. The clocks only got a 56% increase and we know (from years of bench on GPUs) that performance doesn't scale linearly with the number of CUs.

Last edited:

base

Banned
More than a month and we know nothing. Not even 100% guarantee with BC with ps4 games. I've heard at least 5 versions in the last week.

thelastword

Banned
No way in hell is the PS4 Pro dashboard that loud lol. I'm sitting right next to mine and I don't hear it. During some games it's a jet engine but let's not BS here.
Who's doing these tests anyway. Are they using a broken PS4 PRO. Even DF did a test on the new model PRO and during gaming it's very quiet. So I don't see how it's so loud loading the UI.......

I guess now, people just put up numbers, nobody corroborates anything anymore.....Using a decibel meter and doing live tests or presenting a video would answer many of these questions, but nobody cares about that.....Then you will see many people who have an angle post these results as gospel...

Here is the catch. Do we know when we are going to see the games that take advantage of rdna2?

jimbojim

Banned
Production was a shit show, still not evidence that the units that were making it off the line in working order were going to break in 6 -9 months. The production problems were just increasing production costs per unit, they weren't directly effecting consumers (the broken units weren't being packaged). You are taking the known end result and using that to determine that the outcome was known during early production, when realistically the units that were making it off the line in working order were expected to function (regardless of how low production yields were). Everything you mention here is mentioned in the book in detail, this doesn't change the timeline regarding RRoD.

Dunno, engineering's words implies that they were warned and knew about the issues, but they continued the production

Et3rn1ty

Neo Member
After some greek video podcasts that i watched earlier this evening(xbox fans) i feel so frustrated from the stupidity and ignorance of technical information that occurs in my country.For some reason i am here to tell you i am sorry on behalf of greece
and i hope that someday we will keep up to the knowledge that exists out there.......

jimbojim

Banned
This was with it when I found it.

LOTZKKm.jpg

Added the original just in case anyone can track it's origin.
nAF7S0y.jpg
from where
YES! I can see the SSD chips there (8 in total), as well as the expansion 'port'. The RAM modules are probably on the other side of the board and not visible. That other huge chip there is probably the I/O complex or something else entirely. That's a big ass chip.

Also, you can see the PSU down there.
So several of the components in this X-ray look like from the PS4. I think given this inlcuded a clear sketch drawing as well, this is a fake photoshopped guess at whats inside the PS5 and how its built. Good guesses. But thats not a legit x-ray of the PS5.

For starters the fan is too small from what we saw earlier and not as centrally located as in the leaked pic. We can see the fan in the PS5 is larger than the PS4 Pro fan, which is shown here in the x-ray. The PS4 Pro fan is roughly 90 cm, while the PS5 fan looks almost 130-140mm diameter.

VSModQ6.jpg

The die is clearly from a PS4 Pro, etc. There's an audio optical port from the PS4 Pro on the ports, etc.

Clearly fan made guess, but a damn good one.

I think its safe to assume the PS5 inside is roughly this.

Qbz8X4V.jpg
the ports in the x-ray mockup are from the PS4 Pro looks like. looks like a fake fan mockup.

Yeah, it's a PS4 Pro motherboard. Someone on ERA found this :

Motherboard is from PS4 Pro, it even has the same numbers if you look close (1-981-472-11). Also USB, HDMI etc don't match with the actual console size."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom