• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzje

Last edited:

zubairali2

series s is still up for preorder! no rush :)

QSHipC1.jpg

Last edited:
Got to be a few bombs , left n right hooks off Sony coming?? I mean ratchet n clank as a demo of ssd tech and game of course is all good , as is souls game.... But , I need more , wayyyyy more Sony lol. Just sitting on fence ATM , and watching like a raven.
Haven’t preordered? Might as well come back after 6 months :messenger_beaming:

Gamerguy84

DaGwaphics

And so there's no competition for lower prices. Their transparency is so great.

There's is a guy on B3D that seems to be familiar with how the XSX drive is implemented, if what he says is correct, I'd assume that an off the shelf drive was never an option for the XSX. They created a customized drive and are forced to move forward with the drive. It sounds like they've left the door open for additional third-parties to manufacture these at a later date (but they'd still be to the specification of these customized drives).

SaucyJack

The Rare acquisition was prior to Phil. But you can’t tell me that MS hasn’t given them their freedom. Sea of Thieves and Everwild are evidence of that freedom. Now under Mattrick, whips were cracked for Kinect games, but Rare now is not the Kinect Rare.

Rare was wrecked a long time ago. Prior to MS acquisition and even the first few years after it was a hit game factory, multiple games every year, from the 80s through to about 2005. But their output for the whole of current gen is barely equivalent to what they could produce in a good year before.

Ironically the Rare that they acquired was exactly what they need for Gamepass, a studio that produces a lot of decent content, relatively quickly and cheaply. Unfortunately, the key people are long gone and the culture that made that company so creative is long gone.

Sea of Thieves isn’t evidence of freedom, it’s evidence of a corporate strategy to go get some GAAS. I do have hoped for Everwild though, the art style and vibe of the game seems really cool.

Loxus

There are two major problems:
1) You can't upgrade PS4 version to remaster. Remaster is gated behind Miles Morales. I don't see the reason why I can't pay $20 and get remaster if I own original version. I need to spend $70 to get it with MM.
2) You don't know how bc will work. I don't care about remaster as long as I get 60FPS/4k (or 1440p) mode via BC. If 60fps will be gated behind remaster then it will be a big fuck you for PS4 version owners.
Yes, you are correct about about not being able to upgrade from PS4 Spiderman to Remaster.
But people saying it should be free are dumb.
Its a Remaster, since when remasters are free?
I don't see Microsoft calling any of those free upgrades Remaster, but i could be wrong.

yewles1

Shmunter

Yes, you are correct about about not being able to upgrade from PS4 Spiderman to Remaster.
I don't see Microsoft calling any of those free upgrades Remaster, but i could be wrong.
Miles Morales is releasing PS4 & PS5 cross gen, is it a remaster day 0 on PS5? Why is the MM PS5 upgrade free? Why not free for the Peter Parker version? Black Privilege? Wtf is going on here?

Answer they want to double dip you, but doing it for MM would be a step to far. For Peter Parker, they feel they can get away with it.

Last edited:

yewles1

Saw this on Beyond3D for Demon’s Souls

A3-AFC934-AE6-A-4664-BDFE-BFCB71-CD42-EA.jpg

So even in the performance mode ray tracing is being used. They seem to just cut back in resolution and use very good upscaling techniques to 4K. I cannot even tell the difference between the faux 4K they used and real 4K!
Speaking of which, anyone find out the exact resolution in performance yet?

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance

So even in the performance mode ray tracing is being used. They seem to just cut back in resolution and use very good upscaling techniques to 4K. I cannot even tell the difference between the faux 4K they used and real 4K!
What game is this?

LiquidRex

Cool you have a link 🤔

More PS5 stock on amazon SA now.
I believe Sony has enough consoles but they are opening and closing the tap 🤣. They are likely monitoring the demand of every of country and relocating units based on data.

It's funny but XsX in #2 while PS5 is #32 😅. I don't know what that means. Xbox always did ok here,but far from playstation

Last edited:

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Shadows look fairly soft and accurate to me. RT is already confirmed. So if you halve the resolution what need would there be to remove ray tracing? 1440p 60 is roughly equal to 4K 30 in terms of budget!
Not according to Capcom. They couldn’t get DMC working above 1080p60 with RT.

Apparently RT at higher resolutions is more expensive than at a higher resolution because the RT is generally at a much lower resolution anyway.

Last edited:

Apparently RT at higher resolutions is more expensive than at a higher resolution because the RT is generally at a much lower resolution anyway.
RT is eating alot of their bandwidth. They are likely forcing full RT with full resolution. That's why they can't hit their target fps at 4k.
They will eventually be able to pull 4k60 with RT on in their upcoming games in few years. Their upcoming games will also have better graphics.

NEbeast

More PS5 stock on amazon SA now.
I believe Sony has enough consoles but they are opening and closing the tap 🤣. They are likely monitoring the demand of every of country and relocating units based on data.

It's funny but XsX in #2 while PS5 is #32 😅. I don't know what that means. Xbox always did ok here,but far from playstation

Ps5s sold out before xbox even went up, that's why xbox is trending higher daiky/weekly. XSX is #1 in the UK if you just click on best sellers. This year its 45, while ps5 is 9.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Amazon’s algorithm favours most recent sales spikes. XBox preorders came after Ps5s. Ps5 was also number one.

Only sales metrics that really start to mean worth a damn are monthlies upward.
And that's always at the end of the month or also during?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
And that's always at the end of the month or also during?

Amazon don't report end of month, and their sales charts are determined by hourly sales. They always want a large turnover of products being popular. That's why nothing ever stays at number one for long on Amazon's charts.

Shadows are nowhere near as expensive as things like global illumination. From what I understood Capcom are pushing a lot of effects.

'The first thing that caught our engine team’s attention was the hardware’s new ray tracing capabilities. PS5’s ray tracing architecture gives us the ability to render DMC5SE’s stunning graphics with even more realistic lighting – allowing the engine to calculate light bounces, and therefore draw truly dynamic reflections and provide even more realistic lighting and shadows. Up until now, our artists have always had to create approximations of reflections by hand to achieve that effect – but the ray tracing architecture in PlayStation 5 gives us “more power” to provide true reflections in real time.'

Demon's Souls is just shadows from what we know.

TheGejsza

Here comes my train of thought about the whole Spider Man Remake shitstorm!

There are a few things added up that makes such a negative impact:

1. Sony said multiple times how BC is important for them and stated that they will update the PS4 games for PS5 increasing their performance.

2. Their whole BC explanation is really poor - they said about Ps4/PS4 Pro mode/Legacy etc. but without much of a details - can we expect 60fps/4k? Can we expect combined performance/resolution modes from PS4 Pro? They also said really important statement - at the minimum the game from PS4 will work the same on PS5 but any additional upgrades is up to developers. So any kind of upgrades of PS4 games for PS5 is dependend on a good will of a dev.

3. Microsoft comes with it's Smart Delivery - and in fact they showed Gears of War 5 and how it is upgraded for Series X where it goes above PC max settings. The diffrences are visible but not something really mindblowing. I would not call it remaster (but still it is some kind of remastering of the X1 version) -

4. In the meantime MS Smart Delivery info caused a lot of dev to ride the "good pr of MS" and annaunced upgrades for PS5 - like Cyberpunk and Assassins Creed Valhalla and some more titles I can't remember right now.

5. long-ass period of now info from sony and many of players alread took for granted that BC upgrade is something that we will get from Sony because If MS gives them why would Sony not if they were the "good guys" at current gen.

6. Info about Spider-Man Remaster not avaible for free for PS4 version owners drops. And here comes the problem - they did not show us how big changes are. This will backfire either way - some expect it to be similiar to Gears of War 5 and if MS does not want additional pay why would Sony want? Other people claims it is full remaster and expects full-power PS5 graphic. If Sony does not deliver it there will be in even more dire situation than now. Now back to point 2. - Sony statamets simplified - Good devs will upgrade games, bad devs will not. And everyone considering Sony the "good guys" expects them to somehow (similiar to how MS upgraded GOW) upgrade the PS5 version of PS4 game and charging additional fees for remaster is contradictory to what sony made us to believe - that they are a good guys that will do all they can to upgrade PS4 games on PS5.

IMO it all comes to the lack of fucking informations from Sony. How BC works? How the remaster will look like? On top of that MS pr moves a few weeks back gave players a time to get used to how upgrades will work and some kind of "vision" about how next gen will look and what can be expected.

I think it all comes from Microsoft. If Sony would stated it earlier this would have way weaker (negative) impact. And Microsoft indeed are giving upgrades but they are not calling them Remasters. It is confirmed that Gears of War 5 will have higher settingh than those avaible on PC.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Exactly. Developers do not make consoles. 1st/3rd party refers to the publisher and the platform holder (console maker.)

Sunset Overdrive was a 1st party Xbox One game. Published by Microsoft.
Spider-Man was a 1st party PS4 game. Published by Sony.

Both developed by Insomniac.
Sunset Overdrive was a 3rd-party exclusive.
Insomniac owned the IP not MS.

BTW Sony owns Sunset Overdriver now.

Spider-man is indeed a 1st-party game because Sony owns the IP.

I think gamers, quite rightly, are more interested in the developer than the publisher.

1) Platform Owned Developer - First Party
2) Independent Developer working on exclusive game - Second Party
3) Independent Developer working on wide release - Third Party

Each of those situations is unique, the term 'third-party' doesn't accurately describe both 2 and 3. Removing the term 'second-party' only serves to remove clarity and has zero benefit.
The second and third items are not right.
Second-party is more a Journo term.

1) Platform owned developer working in a 1st-party IP = 1st-party developer
2) Independent Developer working in a 1st-party IP = 2nd-party developer
3) Independent Developer working in a 3rd-party IP = 3rd-party developer

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom