• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

R600

Banned
Cant wait for them to be ~9TF, its gonna be amazing to watch people go "bu bu bu Klee and osiris".

There is a very good reason you are not hearing them go on and on about TF improvements. Its because you are getting 9TF. But given that they will have VRS and RT, that will likely be equivalent to Nvidia 2070 Super in performance.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
just increase 12.4TF by 5% and you would get 13.02TF assuming that. Noticeable, but minor compared to this gen.

Exciting times if it's around 12tf like we been guessing. I'm going to take off the whole week release week just to be home messing around with the console. If I get a Demons Soul remaster I won't leave my house for weeks 😂😂😂. Nothing like the unpackaging of a new console.

Last edited:

Fake

Cant wait for them to be ~9TF, its gonna be amazing to watch people go "bu bu bu Klee and osiris".

There is a very good reason you are not hearing them go on and on about TF improvements. Its because you are getting 9TF. But given that they will have VRS and RT, that will likely be equivalent to Nvidia 2070 Super in performance.
Nah, you're wrong and will be 7TF.

If 12.4TF that would be 50CU-52CU.
You can still change your votes in the poll.
Lol still gonna stick with my initial vote.
Still betting on ~10TF
That's my boy.
wait a minute...

5x3=15 + 21 + 20 = 56.

56 CUs ?
nope already think of that but i posted above the CU count for 12.4TF.
What's your bet on full specs/prices?
Between 9TF & 11TF.
2SKU's 5TF & the above, price 399$-549$.
Why don't you make it the 8tf tht digital foundry alluded to 😂😂😂
That was a long time ago based on early leaks.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

So klee, wccftech, orisis, and now jason schrier and tom warren are all alluding to 10+ tflops monsters.

R600: Everyone is wrong but me!

FranXico

my god. absolutely brilliant! good job!

lets see if i can apply this logic to anything else.

3x3.19 = 6+19. 25. Is this the lockhart CU count?
10-1.14 = 9+14=23.
5x4.8.5 = 20+8+5=33.

ok maybe they are different.

I think 10-1.14 is literal. You get 8.86, which would be alluding to 8 (x86) cores, the CPU.
The 33 could just mean that the CPU clock speed is 3.3GHz.

Or maybe we are just exercising apophenia. LOL fuck this.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
So klee, wccftech, orisis, and now jason schrier and tom warren are all alluding to 10+ tflops monsters.

Those are devkits. And the hardware is not ready at this point. Early PS3 devkits used dual Geforces IIRC which were far ahead of the final hardware.

Gamernyc78

Banned

On top of that I remember ps4 leaks months before release shit up to a year before and same narrative "ohhhh these insiders don't know shit, thy always wrong blah blah blah" and guess what? Thy got almost everything right about the ps4 specs.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Those are devkits. And the hardware is not ready at this point. Early PS3 devkits used dual Geforces IIRC which were far ahead of the final hardware.
PS4 devkits had the same 1.84 tflops GPU they launched with. Same goes for the PS4 Pro.

Besides, surely the devs would know if the specs on the devkits were inflated. Why would they mislead so many different reporters with a number they clearly know to be inflated?

THE:MILKMAN

Between 9TF & 11TF.

Mine is between 11-12tf and around 450-500 like I've been saying forever.

I'll post what I first said in July 2017:

+-10TF APU with custom Vega/Navi GPU and 4/8 Ryzen mobile-based Zen cores
16GB RAM (GDDR5x, GDDR6, or even HBM2)
Everything else is just standard parts as seen in PS4/Pro updated/iterated for PS5.

The above for a late 2019 launch. They could increase a bit if late 2020.

I think I'll be in the ballpark.

R600

Banned
What's your bet on full specs/prices?
Anaconda :

8-9TF Navi / VRS / RT - 1.6-1.7GHz 40CUs
Zen2 8 core 1/4th cache L3 3.2GHZ
320bit bus - 20GB GDDR6 - 560GB/s
1TB SSD
~350mm²
$499

Sony PS5

8-9TF Navi / VRS / RT - 1.8GHz 36CUs
Zen2 8 core 1/4th L3 cache 3.2GHZ
256bit bus - 18Gbps chips -16GB - 530GB/s + 4GB DDR4
1TB SSD
~320mm²
$499

Lockhart

4.5TF Navi / VRS / RT (slower) - 1.7-1.8GHZ 20CUs
Zen2 8 core 1/4th L3 cache 2.8GHZ
256bit bus - 14Gbps chips - 16GB - 448GB/s (12GB for games)
512GB of SSD
No disc drive
$349

Thats my bet.

R600

Banned

Klee and osiris are role playing dev sources.

WCCFTech is literally the worst tech site in the world. They have no sources.

Jason Schrier and Tom Warren have 0 idea about what 10+ TF means or console technicalities. Tom Warren even touched on Arcturus and 12TF back in May so...

VRS brings 57% (YES, FIFTY SEVEN PERCENT) improvement in performance. 9TF Navi 2, with VRS and RT will EASILY outperform any todays Navi GPU (from 9 to 14TF). Even Nvidia 2080 would be in danger here. So anyone could have said to Tom or Jason - Yea, performances are better then 10TF, since XT Navi with 10TF certainly would be no where near it.

So yea, they are wrong. Flute, Gonzalo, FS score and PCB leak all COLABORATE on performances of console. Current AMD GPU/CPU combo is not realistic in terms of watts and die size, let alone something like 12TF.

So yea, Ill go with my common sense instead of guys role playing insiders or jurnos who dont even know how to calculate TF.

SlimySnake

I think 10-1.14 is literal. You get 8.86, which would be alluding to 8 (x86) cores, the CPU.
The 33 could just mean that the CPU clock speed is 3.3GHz.

Or maybe we are just exercising apophenia. LOL fuck this.
lol. no dont give up now! i think we are close.

Clearly one of them is the CPU info, one is GPU bandwidth and the other GPU count.
3x3.19 - this could be the cpu clock. 3.19 ghz. The 3 in front of it? I dont know what to make of it.
10-1.14 - this could be 8.86 or 9+14 = 23 GB RAM?
5x4.8.5 = 20.8.5 could be the GDDR6 RAM? or 485 GBps could be the bandwidth.

Jason Schrier and Tom Warren have 0 idea about what 10+ TF means or console technicalities. Tom Warren even touched on Arcturus and 12TF back in May so...

VRS brings 57% (YES, FIFTY SEVEN PERCENT) improvement in performance. 9TF Navi 2, with VRS and RT will EASILY outperform any todays Navi GPU (from 9 to 14TF). Even Nvidia 2080 would be in danger here. So anyone could have said to Tom or Jason - Yea, performances are better then 10TF, since XT Navi with 10TF certainly would be no where near it.

So yea, they are wrong. Flute, Gonzalo, FS score and PCB leak all COLABORATE on performances of console. Current AMD GPU/CPU combo is not realistic in terms of watts and die size, let alone something like 12TF.

So yea, Ill go with my common sense instead of guys role playing insiders or jurnos who dont even know how to calculate TF.

wccftech were bang on the money with their navi reporting. the rest i agree they are shit. they have one guy who seems to have a source within the navi team and he has gotten pretty much everything right so far on Navi.

the rest i wont touch. it sounds like conspiracy theories to me. we have current reporters with multiple devs telling them the same thing and ex reporters like klee who were here on gaf when it was called gaming age. but yes, lets ignore everyone who actually has devkits, has seen games playing in front of their eyes, and believe PCB and firestrike leaks that point to unrealistic clocks, 1 one of which was confirmed a year ago by a guy you are accusing of role playing. Surely common sense would indicate that 2.0 ghz clocks in console are unrealistic? But you have no problems believing one unrealistic benchmark.

Oh and klee said the consoles were double digit tflops back in august. tom warren and jason only confirmed that part 4 months later. wccftech navi guy confirmed that the ps5 would be using a gpu bigger than the 40 CU GPU way back in june 2018. and orisis confirmed a 2.1 ghz clockspeed back in november 2018. All of these guys are slowly getting proven right as time passes and you still wont believe them. i dont get it.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member

The main problem with what your referencing is that the rumour itself was a point in time spec and not based on final spec so that was the base level which has gone through numerous iterations since.

Fake

But how many polygons per second do these new consoles do?!
763018.jpg

Last edited:

vivftp

OsirisBlack OsirisBlack if you're still around would you happen to know if the PS5 might be using ReRAM to any degree either as a cache between the SSD and RAM or possibly even as the main storage?

EDIT.

Oh, and I'll need all the info you might have on a potential PS5 Portable please! :D

Last edited:

farmerboy

All this talk and speculation is fascinating. My biggest questions or takeaway from the last week or so are these;
How will Lockhart effect the market? Which the more I think about it, I just don't know.
And secondly;
What is the true nature of Sony's SSD? I really hope the proprietary nature of it extends to Reram useage, as I long for the days that consoles were something unique and not just PCs in a small form factor.

SlimySnake

to me the 'eats monsters for breakfast' comment always pointed to a 12 tflops gpu.

i highly doubt ms is going around parading an 8 tflops console as a monster. vrs and rdna efficiencies are way too many qualifiers to add when marketing these consoles. a simple tflops number like 12 gets the point across much more efficiently.

Lendor

OsirisBlack OsirisBlack if you're still around would you happen to know if the PS5 might be using ReRAM to any degree either as a cache between the SSD and RAM or possibly even as the main storage?

EDIT.

Oh, and I'll need all the info you might have on a potential PS5 Portable please! :D
lol dude, you're really want this ps portable, you're in both forums asking for it in every reply, damn... Cant you just use PSNOW?

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
to me the 'eats monsters for breakfast' comment always pointed to a 12 tflops gpu.

i highly doubt ms is going around parading an 8 tflops console as a monster. vrs and rdna efficiencies are way too many qualifiers to add when marketing these consoles. a simple tflops number like 12 gets the point across much more efficiently.

Seriously no way in hell these consoles are under 10tf.

vivftp

lol dude, you're really want this ps portable, you're in both forums asking for it in every reply, damn... Cant you just use PSNOW?

Oh I use PS Now and love it, but there's just something magical about having all the content played locally :)

So to that end I'll question whoever I need to, pray to any deity that I don't believe in and sell whatever organs I need to (preferably not my own) to try and help make the PS5 Portable a thing! :D

Lendor

Oh I use PS Now and love it, but there's just something magical about having all the content played locally :)

So to that end I'll question whoever I need to, pray to any deity that I don't believe in and sell whatever organs I need to (preferably not my own) to try and help make the PS5 Portable a thing! :D

Sony did patent cartiges so....., anything is possible.
Aint hapening, that patent was for toys (TOIO) Sony aint doing portable systems anymore, the partnership with Microsoft Azure is exactly why, they will push Cloud for portable experiences, its cheaper, low risk, and future proof. Maybe with cloud they can up that mobile division they have that its bad to worse lately, Xperia,( just maybe lol)

Last edited:

I do get your point, 8Tf console dont suit that monster theory, then again those pr: well people are more familiar with previous generation Teraflops (gcn) it make more sense to communicate well with the consumer so he can get a sense of what hes buying.
It goes like that 😁, gcn 2 digit Tf garanty.
Not saying its 8Tf tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom