• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks For making me laugh this morning!

Also for the record I’m not a fanboy or Console warrior for either side. I own all consoles. I’m a gamer!
3gb74E7.jpg
its meaningless.
I have posted pics of my ps3 and ps4 in the cabinet, I have posted pics of me holding the dual shock in front of tv while replying to this very thread, etc.
Some people just dont have the capacity to get it.
If you are not like them, you are their enemy

ethomaz

Banned
“As developers [of Demon’s Souls], we are already changing the way we think about the SSD. We see it not just as storage but also memory, utilizing the speed of the SSD to load data at blistering speeds, bringing you straight back into the action to avenge your many deaths.”— Gavin Moore // Creative Director, SIE Japan Studio”

Ouch... I’m going to die a lot ain’t I? :messenger_grimmacing_
I already died even with big load screens lol
Souls games are try and error.

Last edited:

FranXico

“As developers [of Demon’s Souls], we are already changing the way we think about the SSD. We see it not just as storage but also memory, utilizing the speed of the SSD to load data at blistering speeds, bringing you straight back into the action to avenge your many deaths.”— Gavin Moore // Creative Director, SIE Japan Studio”

Ouch... I’m going to die a lot ain’t I? :messenger_grimmacing_
Yes. And with World Tendency, the more you die, the harder the game gets...

ethomaz

Banned
I hate Strawberry Jelly and I still eat it too. Also, why the fuck do you have an iphone then?
My brother has an iPhone for work because all bank apps for his work only works on iPhone.
BTW the iPhone is from the bank he works so he never brought one.
His personal phone is an Android Galaxy but I don’t remember the model.

Maybe that is the case.

PS. I use iPhone since they killed Symbian... I tried early last year to use an high-end Android but after three months I gave it to my wife and brought a new iPhone.

What do you mean "so again", this is the first time you ask me this question...

But to answer it, VA exists out of 4 components. SSD, hardware decompression, DirectStorage API, SFS.
  1. SSD - The same for all games, game can't be optimized for this
  2. Hardware decompression - They showed a current gen game that wasn't compressed using BCPack, since this is a new algorithm used for next-gen. Not sure if they then actually used this hardware decompression block even.
  3. New DirectStorage API - "providing developers with fine grain control of their I/O operations empowering them to establish multiple I/O queues, prioritization and minimizing I/O latency. These direct, low level access APIs ensure developers will be able to take full advantage of the raw I/O performance". Obviously you need to write code to apply this, since this wasn't part of the original game and this is a new API, this can be used to optimize loading.
  4. Sampler Feedback Streaming - I think this one works out of the box, but maybe I'm incorrect.
So at least for 2 of the 4 VA components you need to do something to optimize your game, to make it load faster.

So in summary, Sony's approach "just works" even for a game like spiderman (shown behind closed doors more than a year ago) that was built for slow HDDs, but MS's approach requires a ton of work to still not be as fast as Sony's solution? Would you say that seems like a fair assessment of your 4 points?

Also, if you need to jump through all these hoops in order to shave off a few seconds of loading time, do we think most developers will actually put in the effort or just slap in a few more seconds loading on the secondary platform?

I'm not even going to argue these points presented, just taking them at complete face value for the sake of this discussion.

Zoro7

Banned
My brother has an iPhone for work because all bank apps for his work only works on iPhone.

Maybe that is the case.

PS. I use iPhone since they killed Symbian... I tried early last year to use an high-end Android but after three months I gave it to my wife and brought a new iPhone.
Isn’t symbian what women sit on to pleasure themselves.....

Read the first paragraph, to demonstrate the load time technology - what technology do you think this could be.

Ocams Razor, it is what it is. We can see the results, people using mental gymnastics saying just wait. Whatever.
XBrsY9t.png
xbone games do not use the double compression of the new xboxes Geordie.
only xbox series x/s games will.
so it's ~double the time.
also, this procedure is not a read (load). its write image of current game(save), then load image of selected game.

I thought you were more knowledgeable than what you write here.

Last edited:
I'm blue, my friend is green. I perfer PS but have all machines, he fanboys XB. Just helps break-up the wall of text. I posted exterts from his talking points along with you guys whom are more knowledgeable than I.

edit: white is me talking to you guys.
Is your friend this misinformed about life in general. I mean there is clear evidence he is wrong. How do you justify no game footage vs game footage captured on a PS5 (not devkit).

hemo memo

Gold Member
I though Geoff and Heisenberg hyped something up for today? Made it sound like some sort of announcement for something or anything but a trailer and blog about dev talk. Im disappoint

Geoff would hype pretty much everything so I wouldn’t use that as a measure. I missed what HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 said tho, did he hype something today?

Not OP but a simple example is if we take an older game engine designed to fill the entire RAM from a HDD before fading into gameplay vs something designed around the fact that you only need to load what's in the players view and immediate surroundings before fading in. Then over the following seconds continue to load the remaining assets to RAM. These are the types of improvements and tricks we will see over time as dev tools and engines mature.

From the players point of view it doesn't matter how much of the RAM is filled so long as the most vital and immediately viewable data gets there within the first couple seconds of loading.
Appreciate that, but that's not really the point here. We're talking about the standard game assets being loaded into RAM, just like they normally would in past generations and timing that exact thing.
What you are talking about relates more to the free up of RAM to load higher quality assets with the purpose of only displaying what's in the player's FoV. That's an entirely separate discussion, and I don't think there were any high quality assets in a 2km radius of those State of Decay demos MS was using to demonstrate their "fast" loading times :)

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Maybe that is the case.

I was a windows phone guy. I still miss it and use Square Home on my android.

I though Geoff and Heisenberg hyped something up for today? Made it sound like some sort of announcement for something or anything but a trailer and blog about dev talk. Im disappoint
Ampere and the RTX 3000 series :)

I'm more hyped for the fact we're finally see some movement on the GPU marked and maybe (just maybe) some actual gaming benchmarks will be released. Also what price point will be the next gen of GPUs at and how will that impact AMD's reaction on the RDNA 2 release in a couple months.

Plenty to be hyped about, just not everything is about consoles :p

SaucyJack

its meaningless.
I have posted pics of my ps3 and ps4 in the cabinet, I have posted pics of me holding the dual shock in front of tv while replying to this very thread, etc.
Some people just dont have the capacity to get it.
If you are not like them, you are their enemy

Which is rendered meaningless because of the volume of utter crap that you choose to post on a daily basis.

Last edited:
Audio is a key feature to really push the next-gen experience with PS5. It’s almost as if 3D Audiotech was made specifically with horror games in mind. It used to be that in order to get that spatial audio, players would have to invest a lot of their own time and money. Now, just putting on a headset, they can get a full 3D audio experience.”— Jun Takeuchi // Executive Producer for Resident Evil Village
https://blog.playstation.com/2020/0...ech-engine-will-enhance-the-future-of-gaming/

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
So in summary, Sony's approach "just works" even for a game like spiderman (shown behind closed doors more than a year ago) that was built for slow HDDs, but MS's approach requires a ton of work to still not be as fast as Sony's solution? Would you say that seems like a fair assessment of your 4 points?

Also, if you need to jump through all these hoops in order to shave off a few seconds of loading time, do we think most developers will actually put in the effort or just slap in a few more seconds loading on the secondary platform?

I'm not even going to argue these points presented, just taking them at complete face value for the sake of this discussion.
Nope, I wouldn't call that a fair assessment. Neither you, nor I have any idea how much works this costs. For example using the correct compression algorithm isn't really a lot of effort, since most game developers are already compressing their game. So saying it's a lot of work, isn't fair.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Wouldn’t say hard to develop for. The way it was put to me. Mind you this is second hand. Difficult to master some of the features. Even with API on PCs it’s not emulating very well. Because of Covid A lot of people worked from home over the last several months. So the access to debug console has been limited to very few.

Velocity Architecture I have been told has many layers like and onion. VA is so fine you can change assets and textures in the frames on the fly.

Like I said Covid has effected the gaming industry. I’m thankful we are getting Next Gen Consoles this year. I’m excited about the future.
IfDajY9.jpg

jimbojim

Banned
Keep at it and eventually you’ll be talking to yourself on these forums.

Just check this post and you'll understand all.

Btw. i'm also on his ignore list because he couldn't accept that triggers on X1 gamepad doesn't provide any resistance after i've said that numerous times to him.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Denial is a very bad pimple you know...
and while this is video games, therefore denial is rather harmless, it cascades.
this video I transloaded from another person's video because of the embedded timer. but I timed it myself, on the original gamescom video.
As I said, probably loading starts even earlier than where that video begins the timer, as the entire previous thing is a non-playable sequence where ratchet slips and falls.

You can deny timing it yourself, even from the original video
you can not believe your eyes for all I care,
and keep on parroting per paid PR what your eyes see as "less than a second"
Not my problem

Yes, because astro playground is the real heavy shit, right? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

And this is the tech demo that will come pre-installed in every console.
Keep denying and writing cheeky remarks.
Very beneficial.

I really think you should wait till you can KNOW how long loading it taking. You have developers saying less than a second and there is NO WAY you can tell actual loading times or when loading is even happening, from these videos. Speculation sure...but you're going way beyond speculation here and representing it as FACT. That's just not possible. Don't be the one in denial. ;)

LucidFlux

Appreciate that, but that's not really the point here. We're talking about the standard game assets being loaded into RAM, just like they normally would in past generations and timing that exact thing.
What you are talking about relates more to the free up of RAM to load higher quality assets with the purpose of only displaying what's in the player's FoV. That's an entirely separate discussion, and I don't think there were any high quality assets in a 2km radius of those State of Decay demos MS was using to demonstrate their "fast" loading times :)

Ah you're right on that. I think I was more so framing that reply around the question of what would happen post optimization, but In my head I was optimizing a future engine for XbsX, and not optimizing how the XbsX NVME loads a current gen game. Time for that second cup of coffee :sleep:

Clearly there is a large discrepancy between that State of Decay loading example and what the paper specs suggest would be possible. Must be those pesky bottlenecks!

I think they'll continue to just throw out tidbits of information and see if Microsoft announces their event. If Microsoft doesn't go for anything by Friday, I think they'll commit to the 9th event.

No way that passes by with nothing, but..been a lot of nothing this year so far haha.

sircaw

Banned
Been out for the last 200 pages or so.... I see people are still in hard denial mode.

At least it's keeping some of us entertained.

have you been out on parole or something, your not working from one of those prison businesses are you.

It's good your back and yes unfortunately it continues. We are now on 10 pages of how evil a couple of seconds load times are, transition, and all. always something to bitch about.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I did like the interface when I used one in the stores but I never had opportunity to buy one... he did phased out too fast.
It really has potential.
OS was stupid lite and it flew on even basic hardware. But this was created during the Balmer era and their strategy just wasn't great.

I really think you should wait till you can KNOW how long loading it taking. You have developers saying less than a second and there is NO WAY you can tell actual loading times or when loading is even happening, from these videos. Speculation sure...but you're going way beyond speculation here and representing it as FACT. That's just not possible. Don't be the one in denial. ;)
I am just basing my speculation on what we have seen.
It is more of a denial to say that on astrobot loading times are big because the developers wanted us to look at the ....tunnel (I can provide quotation on that)
or that insomniac while being the frontrunner for ps5 SSD, intentionally bloats up the loading times because ...artistic reasons (I can also provide quotation for this too)

Nope, I wouldn't call that a fair assessment. Neither you, nor I have any idea how much works this costs. For example using the correct compression algorithm isn't really a lot of effort, since most game developers are already compressing their game. So saying it's a lot of work, isn't fair.

So why wasn't it shown? I mean, this is not a behind closed doors video that someone bootlegged out of Redmond here. It was an official MS publicity stunt, with the purpose of showing the "fast" loading and contrast it with current gen.

Why would you think they would give themselves anything but the best possible conditions to impress us, their potential clients?

So, it's either:

a) really complex to compress / decompress, etc, the data and they didn't have time/resources to do it at the time of this demo, or
b) maybe this is as good as it gets even with all the marketing BS of velocity architecture and you're hyping a dream (like the cloud last gen)

Btw I used the complexity argument because you pretty much implied it by referring to a new API that requires more code to be written to take advantage of this. From what I remember the games shown (or at least several) were MS first party games, so how hard would it be for them to write whatever code they needed to show us this amazing speed?

Also, what sort of amazing textures were these games loading that you need this much compression? State of Decay? PUBG? For real...

That makes no sense.

Time is time, no point to mix it with frames. One counter cant count both.

Also you are mixing movies(video) into recorded gameplay

Movies are usually 24fps, tv broadcasts have been 50hz pal or 60hz ntsc

If 30fps gameplay is recorded and played on 30hz(or interpolated into something else) then 1s = 30frames = 1s.

This video just skips time in the counter so it is made by a retard
Timecode is totally a thing. It has its origins in cinema, where it was basically used to be able to quickly find a specific frame in the timeline so it would be easier to edit and so on.
It's usually 8 digits; hours:minutes:seconds:frames / 00:00:00:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom