• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintjules

Everybody's gettin' in on this.

Brief mentions:

-Thinks SMT on/off feature with XSX is mainly for enhancing framerates of BC titles easily (or at least, the most obvious reason)
-Feels XSX CPU offers performance on level of an Intel i9 9900K
-Feels the XSX GPU offers 2080TI levels of rasterization performance
-Feels both XSX and PS5 will be $500
-Doesn't think Lockhart is a thing anymore or at very least is definitely not launching this year
-Thinks PS5's SSD could be twice as fast as XSX's

What do you think? No Lockhart at launch means the Series X can't go beyond $500. Firm price. I mean, I did have some thought it could go beyond that based on what we're getting.

Last edited:
LOL no. Not with 5MB L2. 3700X/9700K are the closest probably.

Depends on how it's used I guess. L2$ being just 5 MB surprised me too, but I figure that's part of the reason they went with 2.5 GB for the OS. Reserving 2.5 GB GDDR6 for OS was probably a more cost-effective measure than pushing 8 MB L2$ for a bigger, more expensive die. The extra missing 3 MB L2$ budget had to of gone somewhere 🤷‍♂️

What do you think? No Lockhart at launch means the Series X can't go beyond $500. Firm price.

Nah, don't think it'll be above $500 tbh. MLID seems to think the BOM is probably at a place where $499 is doable at-cost or with just a very small lost.

Hearing them speak on pricing strategy and purpose for a lower-end model (typically being to offset a higher-priced premium model) and how XSX can already run 4 instances of Gears 5 as virtual machines on one model (plus the fact we still haven't heard anything about Lockhart yet), seems to point at Lockhart not happening and therefore no need for XSX to price above $499, because there's no lower-end model around to offset a higher price.

The whole PS5 having only 36 CUs because of BC rumor made absolutely no sense to me when Microsoft proved they can offer full BC with current gen games with more CUs on the Die than XB1X.

I'm so looking forward to tomorrow so everyone who believed that rumor can take a break from these forums.

It was because Sony does BC through a different means than Microsoft; MS went with a more software-orientated approach (on XBO they split things through hypervisors), whereas Sony went with a more hardware-orientated approach (CU enable/disable in blocks).

They are both likely using the same approaches from last gen on that note.

Last edited:

Disco_

Playstation Fans tomorrow, if Tommy fisher is proven to be correct.
That dude is regretting inhaling that cigar smoke.Probably puking into a trash can 10 minutes later.

av6umyqay4n41.jpg
Those xbox one x dev kits sure look nice.

Here is my pc build.

I am saving up money for a pc. I can afford it for sure but they way people are desribing the consoles it seems that it would be just as powerful as this build with less than half the price.

Should i just wait for the ps5? be honest

bitbydeath

Here is my pc build.

I am saving up money for a pc. I can afford it for sure but they way people are desribing the consoles it seems that it would be just as powerful as this build with less than half the price.

They’re both more powerful than the 2080ti.
You should wait for the 3080 series if you want to stay ahead.

Here is my pc build.

In my opinion, there is very little case for building a gaming PC at this point in time. If you're looking to build a a PC, I think it's worth waiting for the consoles to land, and reap the benefits of better tech and pricing in 2021.
Investing in a PC now would be like buying a new car just as the latest model is about to release. You'll enjoy it, but...

Ruben43cb

In my opinion, there is very little case for building a gaming PC at this point in time. If you're looking to build a a PC, I think it's worth waiting for the consoles to land, and reap the benefits of better tech and pricing in 2021.
Investing in a PC now would be like buying a new car just as the latest model is about to release. You'll enjoy it, but...

Agreed. Wait for the 20TF plus monster cards.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Depends on how it's used I guess. L2$ being just 5 MB surprised me too, but I figure that's part of the reason they went with 2.5 GB for the OS. Reserving 2.5 GB GDDR6 for OS was probably a more cost-effective measure than pushing 8 MB L2$ for a bigger, more expensive die. The extra missing 3 MB L2$ budget had to of gone somewhere 🤷‍♂️

Nah, don't think it'll be above $500 tbh. MLID seems to think the BOM is probably at a place where $499 is doable at-cost or with just a very small lost.

Hearing them speak on pricing strategy and purpose for a lower-end model (typically being to offset a higher-priced premium model) and how XSX can already run 4 instances of Gears 5 as virtual machines on one model (plus the fact we still haven't heard anything about Lockhart yet), seems to point at Lockhart not happening and therefore no need for XSX to price above $499, because there's no lower-end model around to offset a higher price.

It was because Sony does BC through a different means than Microsoft; MS went with a more software-orientated approach (on XBO they split things through hypervisors), whereas Sony went with a more hardware-orientated approach (CU enable/disable in blocks).

They are both likely using the same approaches from last gen on that note.
Why wouldn't Sony change its approach?

Why wouldn't Sony change its approach?

A: Logistical reasons.

B: Financial/economic reasons (costs in implementing a different method may not be worth the investment amount)

C: Preference (maybe Sony prefers a hardware-based approach for BC)

D: Development priorities (regarding other PS5 features)

Just because they can change their approach, doesn't mean they will or even want to.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
A: Logistical reasons.

B: Financial/economic reasons (costs in implementing a different method may not be worth the investment amount)

C: Preference (maybe Sony prefers a hardware-based approach for BC)

D: Development priorities (regarding other PS5 features)

Just because they can change their approach, doesn't mean they will or even want to.
But won't it hold back the power of their next console if they're forced into that?

ArcaneNLSC

OK serious question in How Sony has prepared this presentation/keynote

A) pre recorded and uploaded to YouTube and that at a set time.
B) Live the Bill O'Reilly meme way

Venue
A) Studio
B) Cerny's tub

and for potentially the last time we can use this meme I made
w5ojHmG.jpg

Not long now

Last edited:

44alltheway

Gonna just say before it gets crazy tomorrow morning, the speculation has been very fun! Finally its gonna end tomorrow and we can then discuss what games will be out in the next year.

My prediction is that the Series X will edge out the PS5, but it will be close, no idea if there will be a price difference though!

Mendou

Banned
Given the raw bandwidth that is required from GPUs to render 4k footage, I think AI upscaling technology like this video shows is the future:

If the PS5 rendered 1440p footage and convincingly upscaled it to 4k using some neural engine chip, then even if it really were just 9tf as the trolls say it would be incredibly powerful given that it isn't using most of its power to render 4k. That performance would instead be used elsewhere. I hope the team at Sony did something like this given their custom designs and current innovations. That would be a 'secret sauce' I would find incredible if Cerny showed us convincing 4k footage and then revealed that it was all upscaled using PS5's custom hardware.

bitbydeath

Wait where did you get the info they will be more powerful than 2080ti

I had my suspicions during the AMD Financial Day when they produced this slide.

images

The perf-per-watt I believe is now greater than Nvidias as RDNA1 was said to be on par or at least very close to it. RDNA2 then had another 50% leap taking over it.

Then we had DF show Gears 5 running against the 2080ti beating it.
XSX - 4K, 100FPS
2080ti - 4K, 60FPS

AGRacing

Oh I do badly want to be on that train.....

I usually only do anti gravity craft but I’ll make an exception for this! CHOO CHOO!!!!

HawarMiran

Banned
OK serious question in How Sony has prepared this presentation/keynote

A) pre recorded and uploaded to YouTube and that at a set time.
B) Live the Bill O'Reilly meme way

Venue
A) Studio
B) Cerny's tub

and for potentially the last time we can use this meme I made
w5ojHmG.jpg

Not long now
Like the Xperia presentation

Smoke6

Feathers not ruffled, I have a PS4... I just don't see the console being as powerful as the XSX in terms of graphical power. My honest opinion.

We shall see tomorrow 🤔 😊
That’s crazy as only a few games and studios barely matchup to Sony’s best graphically!

What an odd statement

But won't it hold back the power of their next console if they're forced into that?

Maybe, maybe not. Absolute power doesn't mean much anyway if the system sacrifices balance and efficiency to achieve it. PS5 will reflect whatever design goals Sony has for it, same as XSX does for Microsoft.

Only PS blog, might even be pre recorded.

Damnit. Well, hope it's on Youtube as well. Hate watching embedded videos on other websites that use their own crap players (unless they're using the Youtube one).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom