• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW Xbox Silent Hill 4 Screens!

xboxgamers-shocked.gif

23579.jpg

23577.jpg

23578.jpg

23580.jpg

23581.jpg

23582.jpg

23583.jpg

23584.jpg

23585.jpg

23586.jpg

23587.jpg

23588.jpg

23589.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
COCKLES said:
Sorry Konami. Shove your PS2 ports up your arse. Riddick has raised the bar.

Blah blah, who cares? At least SH4 won't look like it is running at 320x200 half the time...

Indeed. Konami needs to build across ALL platforms, not just port their shit.

No, they do not. They should stick to ONE platform PER game. Multiplatform == reduced quality in most situations.

I just hope the XBOX version isn't downgraded like SH2 XB was. I'd prefer buying it on XBOX in order to get 480p (I hope), but SH2 wasn't really a very good port (though most people didn't notice).

Man, i havent played much silent hill since the 2nd, but they just completely own every other game when it comes to being downright weird(in the creepy sense).

I normally don't go for the scary games, but this looks so damned tripped out i may not be able to resist.

FightyF

Banned
Be glad that it's actually ON the Xbox! :)

I agree, it doesn't look that great. If this came out 2 years ago my jaw would be dropping, but by today's standards...

pj

Banned
dark10x said:
Blah blah, who cares? At least SH4 won't look like it is running at 320x200 half the time...

At least riddick doesn't look like you're trying to pick up a UHF broadcast from 4 towns over.

dark10x

pj325is said:
At least riddick doesn't look like you're trying to pick up a UHF broadcast from 4 towns over.

Yeah, at least Silent Hill 4 doesn't either. I mean, it isn't as if you can't turn that off. ;)

I wish I could turn off the "low-res" filter in Riddick, though. That would rock.

dark10x

Li Mu Bai said:
Remember when people were initially comparing this to RE4 early-on on the old boards? LOL.

Ha, that's true. These shots look rather poor in comparison. Then again, that trailer shown at E3 was fantastic looking and left a much greater impression on me than the RE4 trailer did. Oh well, it looks pretty solid in motion and the game itself is of much greater interest to me than Resident Evil could ever be.

Li Mu Bai said:
Remember when people were initially comparing this to RE4 early-on on the old boards? LOL.

Made even funnier by the new set of screens for RE4...Although probably not for the reason you're thinking of. :p

SolidSnakex said:
I'm not going to go into long comparisons, but its not a signficiant leap over SH4 in any way. It's technically better yes, but it's not that much better.
It is a signficiant leap when you see both games in motion.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I'm not going to go into long comparisons, but its not a signficiant leap over SH4 in any way. It's technically better yes, but it's not that much better.

Defiant to the end, have you played RE4? I have. It's quite a significant leap.

Gattsu25

Banned
SSX: hmm...you're right...the newer screens does shorten the gap between RE4 and SH4

Unfortunately for Konami, RE4 completely ass-raped SH4 when seen in motion. The violent fluidity of the thrusts must be seen to be believed.

dark10x

Mooreberg said:
I still think Silent Hill 3 looks better than this. It seems like they made this one so fast.

SH3 does look better than this, but I don't think they made it too fast. Two different teams were working on the games with the main creators working on both.

Pulling away the fog is obviously a major reason why this is less detailed. I'd also say that the focus on larger environments is an issue as well. SH2 and SH3 both used a lot of very detailed scenes. I mean, walking into a closet in those games would display a whole mess of detailed objects all casting shadows. It was very cool looking. The Room simply looks a lot different.

The game itself has me incredibly excited. I am so pumped for this I can hardly wait. I don't want to compare to RE4 or anything either as they are so different and, right now, I am far too biased (ie - I want SH4 so much that I wouldn't even care if RE4 was cancelled...even though I DO actually want it in the long run).

Visually, there is no debate remaining. While I DO prefer the art direction of SH4 over RE4 (good lord, compare the trailers), RE4 technically stomps this into the ground.

Li Mu Bai said:
Defiant to the end, have you played RE4? I have. It's quite a significant leap.

And so was Twin Snakes over MGS2, right?

I've seen it in motion and it is technically better. But it's still not this technical milestone that alot of people are making it out to be.

Gattsu25

Banned
SolidSnakex said:

No.

Twin Snakes had better IQ and some hard to spot bump-mapping, but was worse than MGS2 in most other graphical regards, including but not limited to the character modeling which was so much better in MGS2 that it honestly made Twin Snakes look much worse than it really did.

Gattsu25 said:
No.

Twin Snakes had better IQ and some hard to spot bump-mapping, but was worse than MGS2 in most other graphical regards, including but not limited to the character modeling which was so much better in MGS2 that it honestly made Twin Snakes look much worse than it really did.

I was just referring to Li Mu Bai. Who early on said that TS was looking significantly better than MGS2 ever did because of all the stuff Dyack said was being added into the game.

Meier

I tried to play this game at E3 but it was just so damn plodding. Can't get into these types of games at all. Oh well.

dark10x

Meier said:
I tried to play this game at E3 but it was just so damn plodding. Can't get into these types of games at all. Oh well.

Total opposite for me. I can't describe it, but they are so incredibly interesting to me. Playing through a new Silent Hill is almost a religious experience now. :p

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
dark10x said:
Total opposite for me. I can't describe it, but they are so incredibly interesting to me. Playing through a new Silent Hill is almost a religious experience now. :p

SH4 rocked. I enjoyed the hell out of it, despite having to go through the levels twice, which is definitely going to hurt the game in some people's eyes.

dark10x

BeOnEdge said:
cocaine is one helluva drug

What, so I'm wrong now?

I know you have a nice TV, so you HAVE to be seeing those damn frame buffer problems. The game uses that damn filter so badly that the game ends up looking ultra low-res a good 75% of the time. At 480p, the image quality is quite terrible as a result. I normally LOVE post processing filters, but this is absolutely not what I like. It just causes the pixel size to increase by quite a bit.

How the hell could you NOT notice that? Seriously...

dark10x

Lyte Edge said:
SH4 rocked. I enjoyed the hell out of it, despite having to go through the levels twice, which is definitely going to hurt the game in some people's eyes.

Better than SH3 (which I really loved, but felt a TINY BIT letdown with)?

How about length? SH3 took me around 5 hours to finish the first time, which was WAY too short. SH2 was over twice as long. Backtracking is not an issue for me at all either.

Gattsu25

Banned
Riddick constantly busting into low res IS rather distracting but the otherwise great visuals more than make up for it

can't remember where i read this (probably in this thread) but the best thing about riddick IMO is that it not only has good lighting/shadows but it doesn't animate like ass...THE PC CURSE HAS BEEN LIFTED

dark10x

Gattsu25 said:
Riddick constantly busting into low res IS rather distracting but the otherwise great visuals more than make up for it

can't remember where i read this (probably in this thread) but the best thing about riddick IMO is that it not only has good lighting/shadows but it doesn't animate like ass...THE PC CURSE HAS BEEN LIFTED

Absolutely! The animation is very good when you consider the type of game this is. I was quite shocked by that, actually. The game looks fantastic with the low-res problem being the only major complaint I have.

Culex

Banned
SH 4 by no means looks terrible in motion. However, the grainy filter makes the game look very undesirable, and I don't think many will like it.

Culex said:
SH 4 by no means looks terrible in motion. However, the grainy filter makes the game look very undesirable, and I don't think many will like it.

That's why you're allowed to turn it off if you don't like it. :)

Li Mu Bai

Banned
SolidSnakex said:

I've seen it in motion and it is technically better. But it's still not this technical milestone that alot of people are making it out to be.

And why exactly was I saying that? Because I knew one of the lead programmers. Who was verifying basically what Dyack was saying. I even said of the final product that TTS had some enhanced textures & particular models, but that SOL was comprehensively a better package. (lighting, level geometry, framerate, etc.) I stated this in the official TTS impressions thread. Playing vs. seeing compressed vids, or bad screen grabs, are HUGE differences. MGS3 has them, (bad screen grabs) Halo 2, Doom III, etc. But I've seen all these in motion as well, & compressed vids or screenshots don't really do them any justice. Esp. MGS3 IMO. So your PS2 fanboy retort would now be?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
SH3, I think even has some nicer tech in action compared to SH4 (self shadowing on characters, for example, seems to be missing here) Not to mention that is SH4 doesn't use those crazy procedural texturing and frame buffer effects on the scenery, it drops it even further below :\

Twin Snakes had better IQ and some hard to spot bump-mapping
OK, so where was that hard to spot bumpmapping? The only thing where it tricked me into thinking it has it, was a turret on Raven's gun, but that actually was not bumpmapping upon closer inspection.

Top Bottom