• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New X360 add-on coming - 'Media Jukebox'

Probably an external hard drive with some kind of flash card reader since it's for photos, music, movies and video.

http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MjA2ODgsLCxobmV3cywsLDE=

3. Xbox360 meets Media Center for next year? While the details on this product are certainly few, the concept is a project that is moving forward at Microsoft. The next Xbox360 facelift will be a product that really blurs the lines between HTPC and gaming console. While this is not a term that Microsoft used, the Xbox360 will be seeing an added on "media jukebox" for handling tons of movies, video, pictures, and music.

monkeymagic said:
Probably an external hard drive with some kind of flash card reader since it's for photos, music, movies and video.

http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MjA2ODgsLCxobmV3cywsLDE=
Think more on the lines of this;
The current XBox 360 WILL NOT be getting a new "built-in" HD-DVD player, however the new XBox "360" AV will.

This is a new unit, to exist alongside of the current XBox 360 line. New features:

Plays All XBox 360 titles
250 gb HD
HD PVR functionality
Live Anywhere support - Server Support
Wireless Hub "Built-In"
Built-In HD-DVD player
HDMI Output
Connection to other Live Anywhere "Xbox" Branded devices - even over internet.

Out for this Christmas to compete with Sony PS3 - pricing undetermined but within $100 of the PS3 is assumed. (Hopefully below)

AVS forum

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=697475

Press release Belkin

http://hiddenwires.co.uk/resourcesne...060614-05.html

This Switch easily solves the problem of insufficient HDMI inputs caused by the quick and widespread adoption of HDMI in the marketplace. High-definition components that commonly feature the HDMI connector include TVs, up-converting DVD players, cable/satellite boxes, entertainment computers, the newly released Blu-ray(R) and HD-DVD players, and upcoming game consoles, PlayStation(R) 3 and Xbox(R) 360 (HDMI connection to come). People who own multiple digital-video devices can avoid a bottleneck at the HDTV's single HDMI port with this Switch.

Originally posted by Nelg on B3d

jjasper

meltpotato said:
that isnt describing an add-on... sounds pretty similar to the HDMI-model rumor.

I don't even think it would have to be a new model, could be a download that adds the functionality to the current system.

Or it could just be a new and bigger type of HDD they are releasing, to counter the bigger ones for PS3.

While this is not a term that Microsoft used, the Xbox360 will be seeing an added on "media jukebox" for handling tons of movies, video, pictures,

Should have been out of the box for the 360.....nice addition, even if it does add bulk (I am sure it can be hidden away behind TV).

Uncle

2. For you folks that are buying the new 1080P panels that are now on the market, have no fear, as the Xbox360 looks to already support 1080P resolutions. All that will need to be changed is the connecting cable.

I thought that this is not possible..?

Mrbob

Err, what what? Is this true?

Yes,

The current XBox 360 WILL NOT be getting a new "built-in" HD-DVD player, however the new XBox "360" AV will.

This is a new unit, to exist alongside of the current XBox 360 line. New features:

250 gb HD
HD PVR functionality
Wireless Hub "Built-In"
Built-In HD-DVD player
HDMI Output

I totally want this. Damn it I'm never buying another console at launch! :lol I'll be waiting a year before buying systems now. How much is this going to be? What is the cost? Can MS keep this all at $499.99? I'll be selling my premium 360 unit for this.

Makes the premium 360 feel like a tard pack now though. :/

Powerslave said:
do they sell it external with the console, though?

if, when reading that, you are getting that this is an external add-on, you might want to look into some reading-comprehension classes...

Mrbob

I dunno that sounds too good to be true, which mean it usually is. This probably has a pricepoint of at least $599.99.

JB1981

Mrbob said:
Err, what what? Is this true?

I totally want this. Damn it I'm never buying another console at launch! :lol I'll be waiting a year before buying systems now. How much is this going to be? What is the cost? Can MS keep this all at $499.99? I'll be selling my premium 360 unit for this.

Makes the premium 360 feel like a tard pack now though. :/

This is apparently a concept that's "in the production pipeline" at MS. I've spoken with a guy at AVS about it. He says there's no current plans to release it, but it's definitely being thought about.

Anyway, it sounds like something I would have VERY willingly paid the extra $200 for if it was available at launch. ;)

Piper Az

MS to early adopters: "Thanks for showing support. For your enthusiasm, we'll screw you over buy releasing a new SKU with more features for only $100 more, whereas you would have to spend $200+ to buy all the comparable add-ons." /sarcasm

Jim

Uncle said:

It's not... it's not like they decided to just leave out the 3 cent connector or forgot to make an HDMI cable. The current iteration of the Xbox 360 only outputs an analog signal.

Mmmkay

Uncle said:
Numer 1 and number 2 contradict each other, so it likely means that they will offer D5 support as a cop out claim like the basic spec PS3.

duk

Banned
didnt u guys know this was one of the original concept for the 360?

cash_register.c4d.jpg643ff0d1-7dd8-4498-9f4c-b3e3c46b9434.jpgLarge.jpg

notice the nice green display

artist

Banned
Piper Az said:
MS to early adopters: "Thanks for showing support. For your enthusiasm, we'll screw you over buy releasing a new SKU with more features for only $100 more, whereas you would have to spend $200+ to buy all the comparable add-ons." /sarcasm
Captain obvious.

Early adopters always get shafted.

JB1981 said:
This is apparently a concept that's "in the production pipeline" at MS. I've spoken with a guy at AVS about it. He says there's no current plans to release it, but it's definitely being thought about.

Anyway, it sounds like something I would have VERY willingly paid the extra $200 for if it was available at launch. ;)
You have to admit, it does sound a lot like a "face lifted 360" "that really blurs the lines between HTPC and gaming console" Doesn't it? That was my first reaction anyway, which is why I posted it.

SonnyBoy said:
Ill never support MS at launch again if we get dicked by this new SKU! I refuse to buy two of these things.

??? PS2 saw revisions in which the early adopters got ****ed... i have no hdd-bay and did not get a network adaptor on mine.

Ponn

Banned
meltpotato said:
??? PS2 saw revisions in which the early adopters got ****ed... i have no hdd-bay and did not get a network adaptor on mine.

? Depending on what you do with your PS2 you could say Slim PS2 adopters got dicked with the no HDD bay.

teiresias

meltpotato said:

Where are you that any version was released that doesn't have a HDD bay and doesn't support a HDD of any kind. Even the japanese launch versions had the port to support the HDD.

Kolgar

It's not just early adopters who'd be shafted.

I bought my 360 last Saturday. And I don't think MS could bring the machine out this year... so that'd be two holiday seasons worth of 360 buyers who'd be screwed.

ATTENTION VIDEO-GAME HARDWARE MANUFACTURERS: Please retrain your focus on GAMES. kthxbye

meltpotato said:
if, when reading that, you are getting that this is an external add-on, you might want to look into some reading-comprehension classes...

if this isnt an external add-on, then my apologies.

teiresias said:
Where are you that any version was released that doesn't have a HDD bay and doesn't support a HDD of any kind. Even the japanese launch versions had the port to support the HDD.

yeh.. i can get an USB HDD external add-on and buy a PCI network adapter.

and for relevance... no Progressive Scan DVD playback either. oh teh noes!

Arsenal

I imagine that there will be an AV type package for holiday 2007 (after the die shrink) IF there turns out to be significant demand for HD DVD systems. This would also likely be a 3d sku - which might be akward, or they could drop one of the lower end systems. Its going to be challenging enough as it is next year for them to manage the die shrink and still keep enough of the right systems in stock at the right times.

KingJ2002

BCD2 said:

250 gb HD
HD PVR functionality
Wireless Hub "Built-In"
Built-In HD-DVD player
HDMI Output

i would definitely buy this...

Kolgar said:

I bought my 360 last Saturday. And I don't think MS could bring the machine out this year... so that'd be two holiday seasons worth of 360 buyers who'd be screwed.

ATTENTION VIDEO-GAME HARDWARE MANUFACTURERS: Please retrain your focus on GAMES. kthxbye

well the way i see it is

Xbox 360 Core: Customizable

Xbox 360 Premium: For HD Gaming (Online & Offline)

New Xbox 360: For HD Media & HD Gaming

Kolgar said:

:lol

is your 360 going to suddenly stop playing 360 games because some future model might be able to record TV shows?

That's like saying the PSX released in Japan somehow hurt gaming on PS2.

Probably doomed to failure like the PSX, but depending on the price, size, and how loud it is, I might be interested.

I'm actually really interested in a slim 360 2 years down the line or so. Sure as hell would grab a second unit.

Top Bottom