• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new richard burns rally screens

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
http://www.xboxworld.nl/news/5382/

22687.jpg

23251.jpg

23245.jpg

23267.jpg

23256.jpg

23246.jpg

more at the link. looks pretty bad IMO, though it does look better in motion. hopefully it plays as well as they say.

Meier

I just dont understand the point of all the racing games for the Xbox. I can't be the only one who sees no reason to buy more than a handful over a console's lifespan and on the Xbox it'll be PGR2, RSC2 and possibly Forza (if it plays faster than GT).

op_ivy

Meier said:
I just dont understand the point of all the racing games for the Xbox. I can't be the only one who sees no reason to buy more than a handful over a console's lifespan and on the Xbox it'll be PGR2, RSC2 and possibly Forza (if it plays faster than GT).

i'd say the same for sports, rpgs, and platformers

FightyF

Banned
Never mind the car visuals...the game looks to play awesome!

(I'm not judging the controls, but the sort of tracks involved, the physics, and the type of damage recieved)

Looks sweet.

Gregory

Banned
It looks really good in that video. Now this seems to be realistic rally game compared to the junk that is Colin and WRC. Hopefully this game will show people how unrealistic those games really are.

shpankey

not an idiot
I don't know why people don't like that the Xbox gets so many racers. Some of us LOVE it! I mean, the PS2 gets a million RPG's. Why can't the Xbox get a million racers? I race them all, and to be honest, I want more!

I can hardly wait for Burnout 3 and Forza! Not only that, GT4 on the PS2 will own me as well. If the GCN ever got a decent racer, I'd get it also. ;)

Right now I'm playing a lot of Rallisport Challenge 2, damn what a great racer! Sooo addicting!

Gregory

Banned
shpankey said:
I don't know why people don't like that the Xbox gets so many racers. Some of us LOVE it! I mean, the PS2 gets a million RPG's. Why can't the Xbox get a million racers? I race them all, and to be honest, I want more!

I can hardly wait for Burnout 3 and Forza! Not only that, GT4 on the PS2 will own me as well. If the GCN ever got a decent racer, I'd get it also. ;)

Right now I'm playing a lot of Rallisport Challenge 2, damn what a great racer! Sooo addicting!

Same here. I hardly play anything else but racers so the more the merrier.

However, it`s kind of strange all the racers Xbox is getting considering very few of them tears up the salescharts, as Katcher pointed out.

Also strange how nobody seems to take advantage of the Gamecube`s UTTER lack of a good racing games. Is there just no market for racing games on the Gamecube perhaps ?

Socreges

Banned
op_ivy said:
i'd say the same for sports, rpgs, and platformers
RPGs and platformers are far, far more distinct from one to the next.

The argument works for sports, though.

Understand that I'm not backing Meier, but pointing out that the comparison to RPGs and platformers doesn't work.

op_ivy

Socreges said:

Understand that I'm not backing Meier, but pointing out that the comparison to RPGs and platformers doesn't work.

i dont care how distinct they are. i'd rather have 20 racing games then 5 rpgs (or 5 platformers). "I can't be the only one who sees no reason to buy more than a handful over a console's lifespan"

Dekajelly

Error Macro said:
After RSC2, I think rally game makers should just stop. I mean, just give up. No good will come of them continuing on.

Simulation >> Arcade –

And until the appeal of rally games (sim or arc) diminishes the games will continue to roll in, and the handling and physics in RBR knocks RSC2 silly.
eusa_dance.gif

Shinobi

shpankey said:

Damn right...racers make up almost 40% of my gaming. Seeing people coming into racing threads simply to bitch about there being too many of 'em (particuilarly when it comes to XBox racers) got tired a looooong time ago. Change the fucking record already.

Socreges said:

All RPG's look the same to me...take a group of teenagers through some countryside, hit a village, explore a cave, go through a forest, fight monsters, cast spells, wash, rinse, repeat. As far as racing go rally racing is a different beast to open wheel racing, which is a different beat to touring car racing, which is a different beast to sports car racing, which is a different beast to motorcycle racing, which is a different beast to stock car racing (and I'm sure I'm leaving out others). That doesn't get into the sort of tracks there are to race (open road, closed course, street circuit, short oval, super speedway), or the various weather conditions. And then you have arcade racers, semi-releastic racers, or full blown sims. Racing games are only indistinct to non-racing fans...the same way RPG's aren't distinct at all to me.

Error Macro said:
After RSC2, I think rally game makers should just stop. I mean, just give up. No good will come of them continuing on.

RSC2's a nice game, but it's hardly the be all and end all. Many people prefer the more realistic rally games (myself included), which is why franchises like WRC, Colin McRae and now Richard Burns will always have value. Let's not forget that rallying's still a niche deal in North America. It's king in Europe, and RSC is barely a blip on the screen compared to McRae and WRC (hell, even V-Rally).

Ok, Ok, I know, RSC is more arcadey, but I prefer that type I suppose. However! I find Colin McRae 4 to be absolutely brilliant in it's realism. I think my favorite of all time was Mobil 1 Rally Championsip on the PC. I have such fond memories of that game and my Sidewinder FF wheel.

Gregory

Banned
RSC2 is better than both Colin and WRC, more "arcadey" or not. Colin and and WRC (3 especially), is pure junk and should be ashamed for calling themselves sims.

Hopefully RBR will show them a thing or two, and from the looks of it, it will.

Shinobi

I like McRae 4 a lot more then RSC2, though RSC2's a big improvement over RSC1 (couldn't get into that game at all). Haven't played WRC2 yet, though I bought an import version a couple weeks ago (still need to get my PS2 modded). Hopefully RBR does indeed raise the bar...all the better for me. Also hope it comes out here.

DarrenS

budala1 said:
Anyone know when the game is coming to the US.
Currently no plans for a US release (only Europe) but I guess that one of the US publishers may sign a deal to bring it over there.

RSC2 = pure arcade
McCrae = arcade masquerading as simulation
RBR = pure simulation

I think a lot of people thought that McCrae was a really realistic rally game but all the people who have played Richard Burns say that it shows up McCrae for the arcade physics that it has.

However, Richard Burns is really, really hard - like driving a Rally car is really, really hard but the sense of speed and drama and satisfaction when you get it right is quite amazing (based on the PS2 demo that was released recently).

Top Bottom