• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PlayStation controller patent suggests PS5 will pivot to cloud gaming in a big way

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Just last week, Sony announced the PS5's official name and release date, but stopped short of offering details about the console's new controller, aside from the fact it'll incorporate cutting edge "haptic technology."

A new patent discovered by German website Techtastic, however, suggests the Dualshock 5 (or whatever it ends up being called) could signify a huge shift to cloud gaming for the PS4's upcoming successor, revealing a controller that connects directly over the internet, and not to the PS5 itself.

The patent, filed a few weeks ago by Sony through the World Intellectual Property Organization, describes a "a controller device for user interactivity with a server of a cloud gaming system is provided", accompanied by a sketch showing the user connecting their controller to the console remotely through an online server.

ps-controller.png

"The controller device communicates directly to an access device for connection to a network that connects the controller device to the server without connecting to a client device", reads the patent, "wherein the server receives and processes the inputs to render gameplay video that is transmitted over the network for rendering to a display device that is local to the controller device."

Now, there's every chance that this patent pertains not to PS5, but to a separate controller for PlayStation's streaming service, PS Now, which recently got revamped with a new price structure and library of games. It might have nothing to do with PlayStation at all, too, and it's also possible that Sony is no longer working on this project anyway, since patent filings are no means a confirmation of an approved product.

Still, we have to wonder what PlayStation has in store for cloud gaming with the next generation, especially as Microsoft has confirmed a pivot to the technology for the Xbox Project Scarlett and Google Stadia has just announced its release date for this November. Watch this space, but there's now a likelihood that next year's PS5 controller can synch up your games without even having to connect to the system itself.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So if you lose internet connection your controller won't work?

No.

If your internet goes out, you're not streaming the game anymore anyhow.

The controller still will use BT, but for the sake of some weird ass argument that it doesn't, your LAN still communicates to connected devices within the local network, even without internet.

This patent seems like the controller and an internet connected TV can be used to "remote play" your PS5, and/or PSNow and others can play with your without needing a console itself.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What's the patent exactly when Stadia's controller does this too?

Seems like it is using your controller to play you console at home connected to another TV. Thus not needing a phone or Vita for remote play.

So you can connect over the network, and turn your PS5 on by just a controller and a network connected TV. As well as others can use the cloud to connect with you as well.

Last edited:

Shifty

The controller still will use BT, but for the sake of some weird ass argument that it doesn't, your LAN still communicates to connected devices within the local network, even without internet.
Where's the part that says it'll use BT?

The text in the OP says it doesn't connect to the PS5, and also disclaims that this may be a new controller specific to streaming use rather than the DualShock 5.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Where's the part that says it still uses BT?

The text in the OP says it doesn't connect to the PS5, and also disclaims that this may be a new controller specific to streaming use rather than the DualShock 5.

Look at Fig1A

That is the person playing the game from the console, then putting it out to the internet, then into the cloud... the next figures are various people connecting to the cloud to connect to that person and play against or with him. Without the need for a console themselves.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

Nymphae

Banned
Has there been any word on whether or not peripherals like fight sticks will be useable on the next gen? I really don't want to shell out for another Omni.

Three

Seems like it is using your controller to play you console at home connected to another TV. Thus not needing a phone or Vita for remote play.

So you can connect over the network, and turn your PS5 on by just a controller and a network connected TV. As well as others can use the cloud to connect with you as well.
Oh that's interesting. So if I take the controller somewhere the device I'm actually streaming to doesn't need controller support. However again doesn't stadia do that too except not to your own Playstation. I thought the controller connects directly and the streaming device separate there too.

Shifty

Look at Fig1A

That is the person playing the game from the console, then putting it out to the internet, then into the cloud... the next figures are various people connecting to the cloud to connect to that person and play against or with him. Without the need for a console themselves.
That doesn't explicitly state anything. For all we know Fig 1A is the 'how we do it now' and Fig 1B is the 'how we plan to solve this problem'.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That doesn't explicitly state anything. For all we know Fig 1A is the 'how we do it now' and Fig 1B is the 'how we plan to solve this problem'.

From what I gather, it seems what we are doing now as well, yes.

Especially when they had the PSNow TV apps. This could have represented that, since you can connect your controller to the TV, and then play someone else on PSNow, while they are playing locally on native hardware.

Oh that's interesting. So if I take the controller somewhere the device I'm actually streaming to doesn't need controller support. However again doesn't stadia do that too except not to your own Playstation. I thought the controller connects directly and the streaming device separate there too.

I am not saying that is what it does, but that would be one ideal use if it did have "WiFi built in". But this could also be old from when PSNow was on Bravia and other smart TVs as well. It could (my guess it will) also be coming back to TVs, and other mobile devices.

Last edited:

Three

I am not saying that is what it does, but that would be one ideal use if it did have "WiFi built in". But this could also be old from when PSNow was on Bravia and other smart TVs as well. It could (my guess it will) also be coming back to TVs, and other mobile devices.

It would be useful for old phones that don't support these controllers. As you said it might be old too because the figures has a PS3 phat in it. 😄

That’s smart. Makes PS5 controller an universal controller. Some casual can just buy a PS5 controller to play games (with lag and resolution they won’t care about.) PS Now needs movies tho to reel them in.

if Sony listens to all these backward folks... they are going to b left in the dust . Streaming will help PS5 owners too. Such as besides having the Buy button there can be preview without downloading anything. And the rest they promised for PS4,

Moochi

This is a great idea by sony. Any controller lets you get in on sony cloud gaming through compatible devices. It's a built in feature with every controller sold for the console. If you've got a good connection then you dont have to make a big investment to see if you love gaming enough to make a $600 investment. A nice touch would be that if you play on a powerful console but you're away from home, you can connect and stream your own games remotely to any compatible device. They could add that on as a part of the ps plus service. It's a smart move that bets on a 3-5 near future where broadband becomes many times better and more broadly available.

Last edited:

Shmunter

For remote play this would be a boon. You just log into which every screen without need for pairing the controller around the place, which I admit is a barrier from first hand experience.

Keihart

The wifi adapter can also be a bluetooth one so i see no problems here for the control working locally and remotely. Like, it shouldn't be much extra hardware needed nor should make it that much more expensive either. Sounds cool to remote-play in within your house more seamlessly.

That sounds an awful lot like the stadia situation (the controller is on The Wi-Fi, and there is no console per say).

My guess is that this is not the ps5 controller, but it could look a lot like one.

I'm not very excited for this.

Barakov

Gold Member
It just seems like a patent for a controller for PSNow. I was a bit concerned reading the title but reading the snippets from the article it seems like a patent for something else. It's a bit worrying but it's till too early to hit the panic button yet.

Max_Po

Banned
from the Patent pics, the gamer-dad's game is not working so he is taking upstairs to check out the clouds upstairs ....

According to this logic, they should boycott PS5 because next-gen PSN will run on the Azure cloud infrastructure.

Makes sense?
So you should if one is against needing to log in to a net work . Be interesting to see all the SONY lot boycotting the PS5 if the controller needs to log into a network in order to be used LOL . Still... What goes around comes around

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The images show a PS3, which indicates that this patent is actually not that new, no?

Top Bottom