• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Photo Of Planet Earth and its Moon, As Seen From Mars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note that the Moon must be closer to the "camera" though as it should be much further away from Earth.

I was going to bitch about that, but yeah, obviously the only moment the 'real' distance would show is when the Earth and Luna are in a parallel state to the camera lens.

It's curious this is the first time afaik they made the shot composition though.

Also, on Phobos and Deimos: they are likely captured objects and not co-created moons, as far as those may exist at all (since the formation stage and beyond is messy, and the 'order' we observe is based on not understanding the scale of time).

There was a recent Bill Nye vid with "why don't gas giants have gas moons?" asked by a five year old. Somehow, in 30+ years, I had never thought of that.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Why do we call our moon, "The Moon?" It's like calling Earth, "Planet."

Saying "Luna" makes you sound like a weirdo.

Also, "earth" is also a generic term. It's almost as bad as calling it "planet"

Wouldn't Mars look WAY bigger if that's the way Earth looked from Mars? Mars doesn't appear as a giant red object, so why would Earth be large?

karasu

phobos_deimos.jpg

Our mama said we are special!

Just wait until they hatch

Wouldn't Mars look WAY bigger if that's the way Earth looked from Mars? Mars doesn't appear as a giant red object, so why would Earth be large?

image.php

Seriously though, this photo was taken from the telescopic lens of a satellite orbiting the Martian surface. JPL uses images like this to calibrate its camera, because we know the surface of the Earth and Moon very well. Thus, easier to say the kind of details of Earth and the Moon that the satellite should be able to make out if its camera is working perfectly.

Aggelos

Oh my goodness... There we are... This is home... That's us.
But do you think that one day (before the 21st century is out) our epigones-offsprings might have such a space vista from the Martian colony?.....

Up to this point, human beings have to return home (or brought home) no matter what... Come hell or high water....

PKrockin

More photoshopped propaganda to convince us the earth is round. Too late, NASA! Your lies have already been exposed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom