• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New MGS4:Guns of the Patriots info!! @_@

J2 Cool

Amir0x said:
Otacon: "Hey Snake, it's me."
Snake: "Who?"
Otacon: "Snake, it's me!"
Snake: "Otacon?!"
Otacon: "I'm here to help from now on."
Snake: "Where are you now?"
Otacon: "Out of harm's way."
Snake: "Is that remote control?!"
Otacon: "Yup. And this mechanism is equipped with a Cell processor." [machine falls over]
Snake: "Otacon, this is bad. We're surrounded."
Otacon: "Any ideas?"
Snake: "Can you lead [Amir0x's Note - not my spelling mistake. It's on the video] me a hand?"
Otacon: "Not at the moment... Snake, you'd better get moving."
Snake: "Ok, I'll take what I can get. You coming?"
Otacon: "Of course. I'll be behind you all the way...Uhh, Snake..."
Snake: "What now?"
Otacon: "Didn't you quit?"
Snake: "Nah, just found a light."
[Snake blows smoke at robot]
Otacon: "Even in the middle of a fight..."
Snake: "Go!"
[they run out into the open battlefield, screen fades to "NO PLACE TO HIDE - MGS4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS"]
Snake: "Otacon, by the way, what's a Cell Processor?"
Otacon: "It's a revolutionary high-speed multi-core architecture chip. It can be used for a variety of operations, not just military."
Snake: "Is it really necessary to bring it to the battlefield?"
Otacon: "You're looking at the key to winning the console war."
Snake: "With this Metal Gear?"
Otacon: "Yeah, let me show you what it can do... Hey Snake, what do you think about the new operation? ...it'll be worth the wait!"

What in here do you think has 'great relevance' to the final form MGS4 will take?

Yeah, makes no sense really... Hmm. Other than maybe Otacon being out of harm's way but being near enough to help. Maybe they both are around this warzone environment, but there's a variety of locales and safehavens. One thing that caught my eye was the way the soldiers came through town. It was dead silent when the music cued up, explosions went off, and you see these tanks and metal gears. Like a drum beat coming through. Then silent again and Snake runs out of there. I can see these living, breathing towns and Snake avoiding the war all the time. It would definitely fit into his description of natural instead of movie set to movie set. Survival without no place to hide like you used to be able to in each and any environment.. Either way it's an awesome concept, whatever he has planned for us.

Anyone have any idea exactly what the budget for this game is? Also knowing the budgets for the previous MGS games would be nice to.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
"Half machine, half living -- perhaps this is how weapons will progress from here," Kojima commented.
Okay, this has got me thinking up insane theories that Big Boss is going to be brought back as some kind of half-human, half-machine. If you look at the art that's been released, that one character that looks a lot like Big Boss has these weird looking arms and legs; they definitely have an inhuman kind of quality to them. It would even be more ridiculous if the new "organic" Metal Gear was modeled after Big Boss' genes.

I really don't think that I am, but I better not be anywhere close to right.

DSN2K

I found it very interesting that Kojima showed that Metal Gear scanning his own "Friendly" troops not once... but twice.

I wonder who's in control. :)

jett

D-Member
Amir0x said:
MGS4 has to have a massive budget. I'm guessing at least 30 million minimum.

Doubtful. I expect 20 million at the most. Juhpuhneeze game developers are paid peanuts.

MGS2 was 10 million indeed. MGS3 was probably around that as well.

FightyF

Banned
Yeah 2006 would be too good to be true.

But if they can get a 9 minute movie done so quickly...I really think they should do a whole movie and release it next winter...that would hype up the PS3 BIG TIME if was actually released in the theatres and created entirely on the PS3.

Well, MGS2 was shown in May of 2000 and was released in November of 2001. 18 months. If MGS4 comes out, say, in November of 2007, that's... 26 months if my math is accurate, which is 8 additional months of waiting compared to the MGS2/MGS3 wait, which both already felt like a goddamn eternity. That is probably equivalent to... 341 shitty fan fictions before it actually comes out. But still, I bet this comes out before Final Fantasy 12.

...might I also add that, if MGS4 comes out in late 2007, that'll be not two E3's, but THREE of those sumbitches.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
brandonh83 said:
But still, I bet this comes out before Final Fantasy 12.

:lol

I bet MGS4 comes out in the 1st Q of 2007, allowing the 2006 holiday season to build some massive installed base.

I'm honestly hoping for early/mid 2007. I forsee most of the work being completed by the end of 2006... especially after the outstanding reception it got at the Tokyo Game Shaw. But hey, I'd rather them take their time on it than anything. I'll wait 2-3 years to get a product that is as flawless as it can be. Besides, with all the other shit coming out in the meantime, there'll be a lot to hold us over.

Ceb

JackFrost2012 said:
judging from that description, I'd imagine the new Metal Gear is called Gekkou or Gecko or something: 月光

I'm guessing because they can still function even if you take out their legs (the tail of a Gecko).

Amir0x said:
Otacon: "Hey Snake, it's me."
Snake: "Who?"
Otacon: "Snake, it's me!"
Snake: "Otacon?!"
Otacon: "I'm here to help from now on."
Snake: "Where are you now?"
Otacon: "Out of harm's way."
Snake: "Is that remote control?!"
Otacon: "Yup. And this mechanism is equipped with a Cell processor." [machine falls over]
Snake: "Otacon, this is bad. We're surrounded."
Otacon: "Any ideas?"
Snake: "Can you lead [Amir0x's Note - not my spelling mistake. It's on the video] me a hand?"
Otacon: "Not at the moment... Snake, you'd better get moving."
Snake: "Ok, I'll take what I can get. You coming?"
Otacon: "Of course. I'll be behind you all the way...Uhh, Snake..."
Snake: "What now?"
Otacon: "Didn't you quit?"
Snake: "Nah, just found a light."
[Snake blows smoke at robot]
Otacon: "Even in the middle of a fight..."
Snake: "Go!"
[they run out into the open battlefield, screen fades to "NO PLACE TO HIDE - MGS4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS"]
Snake: "Otacon, by the way, what's a Cell Processor?"
Otacon: "It's a revolutionary high-speed multi-core architecture chip. It can be used for a variety of operations, not just military."
Snake: "Is it really necessary to bring it to the battlefield?"
Otacon: "You're looking at the key to winning the console war."
Snake: "With this Metal Gear?"
Otacon: "Yeah, let me show you what it can do... Hey Snake, what do you think about the new operation? ...it'll be worth the wait!"

What in here do you think has 'great relevance' to the final form MGS4 will take?

Hells yeah!!! Team Kojima gonna show us what they can do with Cell!!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ceb said:
I'm guessing because they can still function even if you take out their legs (the tail of a Gecko).

Maybe their legs recover in matter of seconds. Shooting at their legs may just give you a temporary advantage (ie: they cannot move so you can attempt to run away of their sight - assuming you are out of heavy weapon ammunition, you may very well do that :))

I'm just imagining running around those soldiers with stealth camouflage. Imagine the havoc you can cause :D. Maybe even scare them till they piss their pants.

I just hope that, since enemies can "blow your cover," literally, that the player will be able to, likewise, damage the environments around enemies (well, any environment). Imagine seeing a soldier standing under a rock slab that is about to give out, and being able to rock it loose with a grenade blast, crushing said enemy. The potential here is retarded.

vatstep said:
Okay, this has got me thinking up insane theories that Big Boss is going to be brought back as some kind of half-human, half-machine.

I have to put this in spoilers for those that haven't played Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake since its going to be in Subsistence, but for those that don't mind go ahead and read

At the end of MG2 you learn a rumor that Big Boss had been recieving "snatcher" parts to replace the body parts he lost in Metal Gear. It's only a rumor in MG2 and it was never confirmed. But considering Big Boss seems to be coming back, and they've brought in MKII from Snatcher, it doesn't seem like its too far out there to believe they're going to be doing this.

Wollan

I think one relevanse is when Otacon kaufs when Snake smokes.

Sense. Maybe MGS4 will support a little smell machine or something.

SpokkX

about Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake and the Big Boss:

what are "snatcher" parts? and what really makes it seem like Big Boss is coming back?

Snake in the TGS trailer using a knife and having that thing over his eye.. and then Otacon saying "didn´t you quit?" (smoking).. could the Snake we saw really be Big Boss? He seemed changed in more ways than just older..

but how could Otacon not se that it was not Solid Snake? does not make sense..

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SpokkX said:

what are "snatcher" parts? and what really makes it seem like Big Boss is coming back?

Snake in the TGS trailer using a knife and having that thing over his eye.. and then Otacon saying "didn´t you quit?" (smoking).. could the Snake we saw really be Big Boss? He seemed changed in more ways than just older..

but how could Otacon not se that it was not Solid Snake? does not make sense..

He's definetly Snake. We just dont dont know why and how he ends up using a knife, but that's exactly the Snake we have been seeing in those early MGS4 characters portraits.

Forsete

CosmicGroinPull said:
Hells yeah!!! Team Kojima gonna show us what they can do with Cell!!

During that scene, when he says: "Yeah, let me show you what it can do" Killzone starts playing. Hmmm? ;)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This is just going to be amazing. The first next-gen game to truly excite me.

During that scene, when he says: "Yeah, let me show you what it can do" Killzone starts playing. Hmmm? ;)
Yeah, their engine is so hot that it could render the Killzone demo in realtime. :p

But.. that was in SC3 :|
I believe even Kojima himself has praised certain aspects of Splinter Cell. SC's gameplay systems are quite good. It's just that the scenarios you use them in are quite the opposite (IMO). It's like, here I have this great set of tools and controls to play with, but I'd like to use them in an interesting game.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Some tech details - apparently Snake's moustache is composed of the same number of vertices as a whole character model in MGS3. Further - although I've trouble believing this, and think there might have been a mixup - apparently the total number of vertices for all his hair is 60,000. That seems more akin to what I'd expect for the whole model though! But the moustache bit, is correct at least.

SpokkX said:

Snatcher parts are basically robot parts. Snatchers disguise themself as humans, including having realistic skin over their metal frame. Big Boss was getting their parts and using them to replace missing parts on his body.

The reason people think Big Boss is returning is because of this

926596_20050517_screen001.jpg

The 2nd character on the far right fits his description. You can look at that and see that's not the Snake in this video either. His body is much thinner than the Snake we're seeing and from the art he's even older with thinning hair.

Izzy

Banned
gofreak said:
Some tech details - apparently Snake's moustache is composed of the same number of vertices as a whole character model in MGS3. Further - although I've trouble believing this, and think there might have been a mixup - apparently the total number of vertices for all his hair is 60,000. That seems more akin to what I'd expect for the whole model though! But the moustache bit, is correct at least.

60,000 for the hair? That would be bloody amazing, if true.

Even if it's 60,000 verts for the whole model, it's still a LOT. Unprecedented even. Just for comparison, Gears of War characters use 5,000-10,000 vertices. No wonder Snake doesn't look as shiny as his UE3 counterpart - they pumped a whole lot of polys in 'im.

SolidSnakex said:
Snatcher parts are basically robot parts. Snatchers disguise themself as humans, including having realistic skin over their metal frame. Big Boss was getting their parts and using them to replace missing parts on his body.

The reason people think Big Boss is returning is because of this

926596_20050517_screen001.jpg

The 2nd character on the far right fits his description. You can look at that and see that's not the Snake in this video either. His body is much thinner than the Snake we're seeing and from the art he's even older with thinning hair.

Is it big boss or Solidus?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
SolidSnakex said:
I don't know how much fait I'd put into those artworks' hair. Snake pretty obviously has beard on there for example :p

I think its BB going by his old body

bigboss7cq.gif

And I hope the intro of the trailer with Snake taking the soldiers gun from him in the game. I've been wanting that feature in the series. With it going the natural route according to Kojima that'd make alot more sense that just finding all your weapons.

Top Bottom