• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New MGS4:Guns of the Patriots info!! @_@

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/651/651960p1.html

Kutaragi on MGS4

Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi appeared via video message, stating "I'm not usually one to be taken back, but upon seeing the MGS4 video that was running on actual PS3 hardware, I was shocked by the overwhelming expressive power." Praising the skills of Kojima and his development staff at Kojima Productions, Kutaragi finished with "Directory Kojima has arrived. I want to play MGS4 soon."

Bad art BEGONE!!!

Art director Yoji Shinkawa was on stage along side Kojima and both he and Kojima took the opportunity to explain a filtering effect that will be used in the game. Referring to the trailer, Kojima stated, "There's no sense of atmosphere, so on top of this we add a metal color and make it look like a movie on film. Using various effects, we dirty it up." Shinkawa then demonstrated the filtering effects in real time.

TEH new metal gear(s)

Kojima's discussion touched upon some of the non-technical aspects of the game as well. If you've seen the trailer or screenshots for MGS4, you might have noticed a creature whose upper body is mechanical while its lower body is organic. This is the new Metal Gear. "Half machine, half living -- perhaps this is how weapons will progress from here," Kojima commented. The name for the creature is formed two Japanese characters: one for moon and one for light.

You want details? Check this shit out!!

Playing an important role in the storyline is, of course, Otacon, who appears in the trailer via a small mobile assistant machine. The machine has a screen that displays a video image of Otacon, with Otacon himself being far away from the battle field. The image on the screen, Kojima stressed, is not video, but is also real time. Getting back to the storyline, Otacon's statements from the trailer apparently have great relevance to the final form that MGS4 will take.

I can not wait for this game :D

Mrbob

kutaragi1os.jpg

kojima4ru.jpg

kutaragithedestroyer2jk.jpg

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
From that gamespot article:

Switching to a scence where Snake is having a conversation with Otacon through the small Metal Gear MK-II robot's LCD screen, Kojima joked about the screen. He then zoomed in to the image on the screen, revealing that Otacon and his room environment on the LCD screen are actually rendered in real time, just like the rest of the trailer. To prove it, Kojima played around with the light source for Otacon's shadow. "We've added a grid on top of it to give it the look of a realistic LCD screen," he said. "Otacon will come out as a full [polygon] model in the game. It's not like we've only created his upper body."

"MGS4 will take place in a 'situation' rather than a 'location,' and the situation is the war zone," he said, revealing that there will be other locales in the game. "Aside from the war zone that we've just shown [in the trailer], Snake will infiltrate other war zones throughout the world."

Even more suggestion that its a World War. With them taking place over several years, that could play into what some have been saying about Snake aging over time.

Series designer Shinkawa revealed that one of the new features in MGS4 will be a modular weapon system. "As you could see in the trailer, MGS4 allows different weapons attachments to be swapped in and out. We made it so players can customize [their weapons]," said Shinkawa. "This is going to be a game for equipment lovers. We've paid special attention to the metals used in the weapons so that they have different textures. They're all metal, but their colors and other elements will slightly vary."

Given the shift to the PS3, the soldiers in MGS4 have new characteristics as well. Unlike soldiers from past installments, the soldiers in MGS4 will have individual appearances, including individualized clothing. Kojima referred to them as "Mr. Solider" rather than enemies, since they are neutral toward Snake unless he attacks them. "There are no friendly soldiers or enemy soldiers this time," he said. "It's a war zone, so whether they'll become allies or foes is all up to the player."

Oh man this is goign to be good.

I hope the world war stuff doesn't hint towards a mission structure where we go in, complete the objective, and then call Otacon for extraction. I hope it's something like MGS2 with maybe 3 to 4 chapters, with perhaps the last one being especially beefy in length.

Vagrant

Theres was a video of this posted on the B3D forums that showed off the insane amount of detail. They zoomed in very closely on one of the seams on his left shoulder where there was a legible message, "USE DESIGNATED TOOL TO REMOVE FASTENER", amazing detail on that model.

Vagrant said:
Theres was a video of this posted on the B3D forums that showed off the insane amount of detail. They zoomed in very closely on one of the seams on his left shoulder where there was actually a legible message, "USE DESIGNATED TOOL TO REMOVE FASTENER", amazing detail on that model.

Do you happen to have the link to this video by any chance? Please say yes!

So when will MGS4 come out? Not for at least another year, according to Kojima, who said the game will be shown again at the 2006 Tokyo Game Show. "This is our first time, so we focused on presenting the visual aspects of MGS4," he said. "At next year's show, we plan to show more of the game's aspects that can't be seen by the naked eye."

So fall 2006 is possible?

Im thinking at least over a year when the ps3 has been out in all regions.

shuri

Banned
Series designer Shinkawa revealed that one of the new features in MGS4 will be a modular weapon system. "As you could see in the trailer, MGS4 allows different weapons attachments to be swapped in and out. We made it so players can customize [their weapons]," said Shinkawa.

But.. that was in SC3 :|

Getting back to the storyline, Otacon's statements from the trailer apparently have great relevance to the final form that MGS4 will take.

The final boss is a Cell processor controlled by the Patriots.

jett

D-Member
"Aside from the war zone that we've just shown [in the trailer], Snake will infiltrate other war zones throughout the world."

kojima4ru.jpg

Theres was a video of this posted on the B3D forums that showed off the insane amount of detail. They zoomed in very closely on one of the seams on his left shoulder where there was a legible message, "USE DESIGNATED TOOL TO REMOVE FASTENER", amazing detail on that model.

You will give me that video.

brandonh83 said:
The final boss is a Cell processor controlled by the Patriots.

He said that it'll be an indication of how the final form will take. Otacon tells Snake "Let me show you what it can do" while he's saying that the Killzone trailer is playing on screen. Dun dun dun...

Amir0x

Banned
Otacon: "Hey Snake, it's me."
Snake: "Who?"
Otacon: "Snake, it's me!"
Snake: "Otacon?!"
Otacon: "I'm here to help from now on."
Snake: "Where are you now?"
Otacon: "Out of harm's way."
Snake: "Is that remote control?!"
Otacon: "Yup. And this mechanism is equipped with a Cell processor." [machine falls over]
Snake: "Otacon, this is bad. We're surrounded."
Otacon: "Any ideas?"
Snake: "Can you lead [Amir0x's Note - not my spelling mistake. It's on the video] me a hand?"
Otacon: "Not at the moment... Snake, you'd better get moving."
Snake: "Ok, I'll take what I can get. You coming?"
Otacon: "Of course. I'll be behind you all the way...Uhh, Snake..."
Snake: "What now?"
Otacon: "Didn't you quit?"
Snake: "Nah, just found a light."
[Snake blows smoke at robot]
Otacon: "Even in the middle of a fight..."
Snake: "Go!"
[they run out into the open battlefield, screen fades to "NO PLACE TO HIDE - MGS4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS"]
Snake: "Otacon, by the way, what's a Cell Processor?"
Otacon: "It's a revolutionary high-speed multi-core architecture chip. It can be used for a variety of operations, not just military."
Snake: "Is it really necessary to bring it to the battlefield?"
Otacon: "You're looking at the key to winning the console war."
Snake: "With this Metal Gear?"
Otacon: "Yeah, let me show you what it can do... Hey Snake, what do you think about the new operation? ...it'll be worth the wait!"

What in here do you think has 'great relevance' to the final form MGS4 will take?

He said that it'll be an indication of how the final form will take. Otacon tells Snake "Let me show you what it can do" while he's saying that the Killzone trailer is playing on screen. Dun dun dun...

...oh... then Snake will have to do battle with the Killzone trailer... that'll be an easy fight.

shuri

Banned
Sholmes said:
Shinkawa implies that you can switch your gun settings on the fly, in SC3 you could only do that at the beginning of each mission.

Sounds like you never played the game. You could change it on the fly by holding the black button if I remember well, Fisher would equip or unequipe the piece of equipement on the rifle, either it being the sniping scope, the shotgun pump and so on :|. You could also switch from auto to semi but that isnt the same thing

And? What revelance does that have to MGS4? They aren't even the same genre?!

Splinter Cell 3

shuri said:
Sounds like you never played the game. You could change it on the fly by holding the black button, Fisher would equip or unequipe the piece of equipement on the rifle. :|

I was talking about the sniper and shotgun loadouts, not the airfoils and grenade stuff. And MGS3 already had stuff like this as well with being able to attach or detach silencers and switch firing modes.

shuri said:
Sounds like you never played the game. You could change it on the fly by holding the black button, Fisher would equip or unequipe the piece of equipement on the rifle, either it being the sniping scope, the shotgun pump and so on :|

Splinter Cell 3

My bad. Anyway not too surprised Hideo Kojima thinks highly of the Splinter Cell games.

jett

D-Member
Snake: "Otacon, this is bad."

Heh, it's the same thing Snake says in the original MGS2 trailer when Ray appears next to him. :p Pretty cool! Also, I kinda like Otacon's japanese voice. Better than the english one, anyways.

BTW, you can equip/unequip supressors on the guns since MGS1. :p I guess Kojima decided to take it one step further this time aorund.

Mrbob

Amir0x said:
What is this, kind sir? I am but a lowly 56k, and must recognize my files before download :(

Not worth your time. I streamed it. Just shows off that the footage is real time by zooming in and out on the Snake model

I want hi res direct feed. :/

Amir0x

Banned
Mrbob said:
Not worth your time. I streamed it. Just shows off that the footage is real time by zooming in and out on the Snake model

I want hi res direct feed. :/

Danke. *sigh*

Me too...

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Amir0x said:
What is this, kind sir? I am but a lowly 56k, and must recognize my files before download :(

This first video is the Kojima demenstration where he freezes the action an zooms up on a small part of the suit that has some readable words on it......if it was real life, I would say the words are no more than about an inch long...

In the 2nd video I posted, kojima pauses the LCD screen with otacon on it and:

1-shows the surface grain of the LCD panel itself and

2-adjust the light sources *INSIDE* the office otacon was sitting in!!

crazy detail......crazy....

jett said:
Heh, it's the same thing Snake says in the original MGS2 trailer when Ray appears next to him. :p Pretty cool! Also, I kinda like Otacon's japanese voice. Better than the english one, anyways.

BTW, you can equip/unequip supressors on the guns since MGS1. :p I guess Kojima decided to take it one step further this time aorund.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

Pachinko

I don't mean to be captain bringdown of bringdown brigade but it needs to be said that everyone was atleast this hyped and ready to plop 300 bones down on a PS2 when MGS2 was first shown off at E3 2000.

Yes the graphics in this look fantastic, and yes MGS2 did look like its trailers upon release. But the game itself was crap. I'm kind of 50/50 on this new one myself becuase MGS3 showed they were still capable of a decent product. I allready have an image of what this new one will play like running though my mind.

I"m merely pointing out that it's pretty stupid to get THIS hyped over a game that might not show up until November 2007. At which point I imagine almost every game will look this good.

Razoric

Banned
Pachinko said:
But the game itself was crap.

Uh you can say the game was disappointing or overhyped if you want... but it was FAR from crap. And I personally loved MGS2 as did a shitload of people. Don't kid yourself.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
shuri said:
But.. that was in SC3 :|
Sounds like a good idea to me. So what if it was already used elsewhere if it works and makes sense. They might even expand the system somehow, for example by stealing the pieces of equipment from enemies or some such (the game, if it's anything like other MGSs won't have mission structure for you to change weapon equipment at the beginning of everything).

Amir0x

Banned
Pachinko said:
I don't mean to be captain bringdown of bringdown brigade but it needs to be said that everyone was atleast this hyped and ready to plop 300 bones down on a PS2 when MGS2 was first shown off at E3 2000.

Yes the graphics in this look fantastic, and yes MGS2 did look like its trailers upon release. But the game itself was crap. I'm kind of 50/50 on this new one myself becuase MGS3 showed they were still capable of a decent product. I allready have an image of what this new one will play like running though my mind.

I"m merely pointing out that it's pretty stupid to get THIS hyped over a game that might not show up until November 2007. At which point I imagine almost every game will look this good.

The game wasn't crap, it was universally prasied by the game media, has a super large hardcore fanbase and has a 95% gamerankings ratio. The game was polarizing, sure, and it had some obtuse flaws... but bad? Do you even have a standard for bad? It might not appeal to you the way the gameplay or story was set up, but this is on a whole 'nother level.

Like I said in the other thread: People are trying to make it seem like if MGS4 turned into another game of the quality of MGS2, that it'd be horrific and the tears of gamers worldwide would be flowing. That's not true. If it WAS like MGS2, it'd be another great game with great gameplay that simply does not appeal to everyone.

There's a difference between a genuinely bad game and something like MGS2.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Pachinko said:
I"m merely pointing out that it's pretty stupid to get THIS hyped over a game that might not show up until November 2007.

Who called the Hype police? Wait a minute... his badge says "Titty Inspector". And that gun is plastic!

jett

D-Member
Pachinko said:

What are you tring to accomplish by entering this thread, exactly?

Vagrant

Pachinko said:

Even when MGS2 came out in late 2001 there weren't many PS2 games that looked better then it. I doubt almost every game will be able to beat its looks due the high production costs and time required for a game with this kind of detail and polish.

Top Bottom