• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New korn and rolo tomassi albums today

teezzy

Banned
We been blessed by the metal gods

Two of my all time favorite bands

Solid releases from both.

New Korn is very melodic and vocal driven. Lots of weird guitar noises. Maybe too short, but the band retains their new direction of The Nothing well and is arguably the best they've been in decades. They're interesting again.

Even more interesting is Rolo Tomassi. I swear they never disappoint. Not as proggy as they used to be, but still very complex, atmospheric, very heavy and downright pretty at times. They still got those borderline black metal vibes. Such a killer band

Heck yes - 2/4/22 rules

ab67616d0000b2737509132c0b9a9be5ad5afb21

Rolo-Tomassi-Where-Myth-Becomes-Memory-Album-Art.jpg

teezzy

Banned
I own two Korn albums, Korn and Follow the Leader. How does the new one compare?

Their sound has changed a ton over the years. Hit or miss, they never stop experimenting. They spent a while trying to recapture that self titled sound and never could quite get it

Follow the leader was their big leap from the early raw aesthetics of their eponymous debut and Life is Peachy. Featured Ice Cube on a track, etc. Has Freak on a Leash and Got the Life. It's great, but some of those songs aged like mud imho. Feels weird to listen to as an adult.

They're more refined now. More mature both musically and lyrically. They've stopped clinging to the past, and sorta accepted their status as an iconic band
You can hear it. They're no longer the hot new thing, but a legendary headliner band.

Try for yourself:

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Their sound has changed a ton over the years. Hit or miss, they never stop experimenting. They spent a while trying to recapture that self titled sound and never could quite get it

Follow the leader was their big leap from the early raw aesthetician of their eponymous debut and Life is Peachy. Featured Ice Cube on a track, etc. Has Freak on a Leash and Got the Life. It's great, but some of those songs aged like mud imho. Feels weird to listen to as an adult.

They're more refined now. More mature both musically and lyrically. They've stopped clinging to the past, and sorta accepted their status as an iconic band
You can hear it. They're no longer the hot new thing, but a legendary headliner band.

Try for yourself:

That's actually not half bad.

JayK47

I love Korn, but this latest album seems to stray from their usual sound quite a bit. I listened to one or two songs on Youtube. I picked up the album and it should arrive any day. I hope I after listening to it more, I can enjoy it. Their last 3 albums have been amazing and The Serenity of Suffering was their best album since Untouchables (not one bad song on the entire album in my opinion, which is rare for any artist). I'd love to see them in person, but they are too popular and their shows are way too huge. I like smaller shows where I can actually see the band up close at a smaller venue. Every Megadeth concert I have been to has been at smaller to medium sized venues (not stadiums) and they are just so much better.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Better yet, Rumors by Fleetwood Mac is now available in Spatial Audio. Let's fucking go!

Also excited to listen to the new Mitski that dropped yesterday.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
If you were as smart as you seem to think you are, you'd be actually checking these two albums out (especially Rolo Tomassi) instead of mocking Jonathan Davis' hair.

I don't claim to be a smart man. I apologize if I've given you that impression. I'm not a Korn guy, nor do I like most metal/hard rock/whatever. I will check out Rolo Tomassi just for you though bb.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I enjoyed the first track on the RT album. The guttural singing is not for me. I think if this came out when I was younger and filled with angst, I might have been able to get into it. As an old dude now, not so much for me.

teezzy teezzy do you know the band Fucked Up? They are really good. Here's one of their most popular tunes:

Their last full length Year of the Horse was a fantastic listen. It's one long story about a horse but it's an incredible journey along the way. The vinyl came with a booklet made to mimic a play bill. Their EP 'Year of the Tiger' is my favorite thing they've done but YotH might overtake it after enough listens.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Korn has been my favorite band since 1994 and I've seen them live twice. I love Requiem, just as I've loved every one of their previous albums and most of their extra and unreleased tracks. ❤️

Korn helped me through my early twenties when I was battling with anger, depression, a building self-hatred and self-harm through hitting myself, as well as the beginnings of my downward spiral into suicidal feelings. So much of Jonathan Davis' lyrics struck home for me (although maybe for different reasons than for most...as I was fighting against intensifying gender dysphoria.)

I will always be thankful to Korn for helping me through my toughest earlier years. I love those guys and wish them all the very best (and I pray Jonathan Davis can finally overcome his own demons for good someday soon.) 💙

Woodstock 99 Korn GIF by Light In The Attic

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
I enjoyed the first track on the RT album. The guttural singing is not for me. I think if this came out when I was younger and filled with angst, I might have been able to get into it. As an old dude now, not so much for me.

teezzy teezzy do you know the band Fucked Up? They are really good. Here's one of their most popular tunes:

Their last full length Year of the Horse was a fantastic listen. It's one long story about a horse but it's an incredible journey along the way. The vinyl came with a booklet made to mimic a play bill. Their EP 'Year of the Tiger' is my favorite thing they've done but YotH might overtake it after enough listens.

Eh. Not for me at all. Not terrible, but maybe if I were younger and angstier I'd enjoy a band with a juvenile name like ****** Up. 😉 I'm picky.

For me, RT's big strength is similar to Deftones'. I'm such a sucker for the juxtaposition of heavy and serene when blended together well.

They started off super techy, almost jazzy. Sorta like Dillinger/Converge but got more atmospheric and kinda blackgazey as their sound developed.

Even covered Digital Bath lol

Von Hugh

I love plenty of the old Korn stuff, but haven't even bothered to listen any of the new stuff properly since I haven't heard any praise of them, and to be honest I would probably just be disappointed anyways.

Maybe I'll try out this new album now, though.

teezzy

Banned
I love plenty of the old Korn stuff, but haven't even bothered to listen any of the new stuff properly since I haven't heard any praise of them, and to be honest I would probably just be disappointed anyways.

Maybe I'll try out this new album now, though.

I've been a fan since I was eleven years old.

They're better than ever tbh.

Dark Star

new Korn album is full of bangers. it's short and sweet, 30ish min of kickass tracks. I really hope they keep rockin and making new music, i'd like to seem on tour one day.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Is Head still a big-time Christian? Nothing wrong with it I'm just curious. I saw on facebook they were doing a gig in a church and found it a bit odd.

teezzy

Banned
new Korn album is full of bangers. it's short and sweet, 30ish min of kickass tracks. I really hope they keep rockin and making new music, i'd like to seem on tour one day.

Hopefully Fieldy returns when you do catch em live. They put on a hell of a show.

Fieldy's on this album but separated from the band now for personal reasons. Won't be touring with them either. Seems to be substance related which is a shame.

Gonna be real weird to see some new guy mimicking his unique style if they end up replacing him

JayK47

I've been listening to it and I think I need to listen to it more. Not a good sign, but so far none of the songs are really grabbing me.

Wow. Up until this day I've never heard of Rolo Tomassi and my god, that was terrible. That's like metal dick guy calling in the kids to lunch levels of bad. Even the drummer has no idea what to do with his symbols.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Looks like homeboy ate the original Korn to absorb all of their talents like an eldritch nu-metal deity, whose arrival is likened to a natural disaster. Immutable, ephemeral, phat.

He's always appeared to have struggled a bit with weight ever since he gave up speed and drinking back in 1998.

He was quite thin back in those days, and understandably not so much now at age 51.

g2VfAk8.jpg

I think he was really attractive back in his younger days, but I'm happy he's much healthier these days being speed and alcohol free. :)

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Requiem, like Korn, is like fine wine. Just gets better with hage.

The amount of great hooks on this album is almost criminal.

He's always appeared to have struggled a bit with weight ever since he gave up speed and drinking back in 1998.

He was quite thin back in those days, and understandably not so much now at age 51.

g2VfAk8.jpg

I think he was really attractive back in his younger days, but I'm happy he's much healthier these days being speed and alcohol free. :)
Now he struggles with High Fructose Korn Syrup. HEYO! Chalk it up. Not everyone can get away with them Rob Zombie genes.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
wow korn is a name i haven't seen in a long time. i listened to them around 2000/2001 and only liked one song of theirs (freak on a leash). i remember everyone had a korn hoodie even if they didn't listen to them lol.

Top Bottom