• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Knights of the Old Republic game - what's your wishlist?

GreyHorace

As posted in a previous topic here, rumors abound that EA is planning a 'reimagined' Knights of the Old Republic game in the future. While I have serious doubts EA and present day Bioware could pull this off, let's speculate on features you'd wish for in such a game. Mine would be:

694940074001_2577475414001_video-still-for-video-2577446603001.jpg

Choosing race and background - Aside from choosing your characters gender, I'd like to have a choice of what alien race your character can be. We've had two KOTOR games playing as a human, I'd like the chance to play as a Wookie, a rodian, a twi'lek, etc. And how about we incorporate a feature from Bioware's Dragon Age: Origins, which was choosing your character's background? It'd allow for multiple playthroughs just like in Origins.

And for once, I'd like to play a main protagonist who's not a Jedi. It's tiring to keep going back to that well worn road, let's allow for other types of characters to take center stage in a Star Wars game. After watching The Mandalorian I'd like to be in the shoes of a blaster wielding bounty hunter. And speaking of which...

MJuz2pefcMmmJ0VJOEJIBnqxnuXDUlxIBvmSQTrcovLddvAU0sUEKTvg23tQ1CzxU5QwJdYnwipvjpp1Y-xg9UYIrvf_lAxvQbXg4IOhnHySeOZ-45-CTQOYGMcwG99GM1YC6r5bIc9_ULFS

A Mandalorian squadmate - It's not like there isn't a precedent. Canderous Ordo was the resident mandalorian in your group in the first KOTOR game and he returned in the sequel as Mandalore. Plus the Mandalorians figured heavily in KOTOR's lore so they still have a part to play in this galaxy.

Plus, armored badasses with jetpacks are cool as fuck, yo. And on that note...

mea-jetpack.gif

Cover based shooting gameplay with jetpacks - Yeah yeah. Mass Effect Andromeda was largely crap. But it still had that cover based shooter gameplay that the series was known for, with the addition of jetpacks for added mobility. Perfect if you're playing a Mandalorian. If EA gets Bioware to make the game, they at least have some experience with it already.

But if you prefer to use the Force...

UnluckyEcstaticBooby-size_restricted.gif

Jedi Fallen Order's lightsaber combat - A little LTTP for me, as I've only recently bought this game. But I already love it's lightsaber combat and think it would fit right in a new KOTOR game. Just lessen the difficulty and include more Force powers into the mix.

main-qimg-3d5c7143662b234355ec41661f9ccb74.webp

Morally grey choices - At the time of it's release, the first KOTOR game had a binary choice system that encouraged players to either stay true to the Light Side or fall prey to the Dark Side. KOTOR 2 tried to break this mold by including some morally grey choices, but not enough IMO.

These days, with games like The Witcher series, any game from Obsidian and Greedfall introducing moral ambiguity to RPGs, I don't think a new KOTOR can stand on the old Good vs Evil choice based system the series is known for. Yes, I know this is the Star Wars universe and that the series has always had a black and white dichotomy, but developers could show some nuances with regards to morality in this setting.

HK-47 and T3-M4 - It wouldn't be Star Wars without droids, and it wouldn't be a KOTOR game without these two.

5466519-eh.jpg

The Ebon Hawk - Again, it wouldn't be Star Wars if the heroes didn't have a cool ship. And for KOTOR, this has always been our ride to the stars. But let's expand it's function in the game beyond being a hub base for our party. Give us a chance to upgrade it so we can use it in space battles or give stat boosts to our party during combat.

And finally, my number one dream feature would be:

baby-yoda-explained.jpg

A baby Yoda - Because every Star Wars property from here on out needs a cute mascot to be a success. :messenger_winking_tongue:

But enough about what I want. What about you GAF? What's your wishlist for a new KOTOR game?

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

That it has realtime combat no turn based crap.....take the best bits of the Mass Effect combat mechanics and drop them in there...

GreyHorace

A different developer. I have pretty much no faith in bioware anymore.
Not going to happen while EA holds the license, unfortunately. There is no way they'll let an outside developer handle this and most likely they'll hand it to Bioware.

But... Casey Hudson was the director of the first KOTOR game and with him back in Bioware maybe he could bring some new ideas to the table. Yet after Mass Effect 3's horrid ending and the Anthem disaster I don't think he has what it takes to make a new KOTOR game a success.

REDRZA MWS

As posted in a previous topic here, rumors abound that EA is planning a 'reimagined' Knights of the Old Republic game in the future. While I have serious doubts EA and present day Bioware could pull this off, let's speculate on features you'd wish for in such a game. Mine would be:

694940074001_2577475414001_video-still-for-video-2577446603001.jpg

Choosing race and background - Aside from choosing your characters gender, I'd like to have a choice of what alien race your character can be. We've had two KOTOR games playing as a human, I'd like the chance to play as a Wookie, a rodian, a twi'lek, etc. And how about we incorporate a feature from Bioware's Dragon Age: Origins, which was choosing your character's background? It'd allow for multiple playthroughs just like in Origins.

And for once, I'd like to play a main protagonist who's not a Jedi. It's tiring to keep going back to that well worn road, let's allow for other types of characters to take center stage in a Star Wars game. After watching The Mandalorian I'd like to be in the shoes of a blaster wielding bounty hunter. And speaking of which...

MJuz2pefcMmmJ0VJOEJIBnqxnuXDUlxIBvmSQTrcovLddvAU0sUEKTvg23tQ1CzxU5QwJdYnwipvjpp1Y-xg9UYIrvf_lAxvQbXg4IOhnHySeOZ-45-CTQOYGMcwG99GM1YC6r5bIc9_ULFS

A Mandalorian squadmate - It's not like there isn't a precedent. Canderous Ordo was the resident mandalorian in your group in the first KOTOR game and he returned in the sequel as Mandalore. Plus the Mandalorians figured heavily in KOTOR's lore so they still have a part to play in this galaxy.

Plus, armored badasses with jetpacks are cool as fuck, yo. And on that note...

mea-jetpack.gif

Cover based shooting gameplay with jetpacks - Yeah yeah. Mass Effect Andromeda was largely crap. But it still had that cover based shooter gameplay that the series was known for, with the addition of jetpacks for added mobility. Perfect if you're playing a Mandalorian. If EA gets Bioware to make the game, they at least have some experience with it already.

But if you prefer to use the Force...

UnluckyEcstaticBooby-size_restricted.gif

Jedi Fallen Order's lightsaber combat - A little LTTP for me, as I've only recently bought this game. But I already love it's lightsaber combat and think it would fit right in a new KOTOR game. Just lessen the difficulty and include more Force powers into the mix.

main-qimg-3d5c7143662b234355ec41661f9ccb74.webp

Morally grey choices - At the time of it's release, the first KOTOR game had a binary choice system that encouraged players to either stay true to the Light Side or fall prey to the Dark Side. KOTOR 2 tried to break this mold by including some morally grey choices, but not enough IMO.

These days, with games like The Witcher series, any game from Obsidian and Greedfall introducing moral ambiguity to RPGs, I don't think a new KOTOR can stand on the old Good vs Evil choice based system the series is known for. Yes, I know this is the Star Wars universe and that the series has always had a black and white dichotomy, but developers could show some nuances with regards to morality in this setting.

HK-47 and T3-M4 - It wouldn't be Star Wars without droids, and it wouldn't be a KOTOR game without these two.

5466519-eh.jpg

The Ebon Hawk - Again, it wouldn't be Star Wars if the heroes didn't have a cool ship. And for KOTOR, this has always been our ride to the stars. But let's expand it's function in the game beyond being a hub base for our party. Give us a chance to upgrade it so we can use it in space battles or give stat boosts to our party during combat.

And finally, my number one dream feature would be:

baby-yoda-explained.jpg

A baby Yoda - Because every Star Wars property from here on out needs a cute mascot to be a success. :messenger_winking_tongue:

But enough about what I want. What about you GAF? What's your wishlist for a new KOTOR game?

Except baby Yoda wasn’t a mascot, he was the star of the series!

It’s going to be a super-woke, GaaS reimagining. If I’m being honest, I don’t think there’s any real chance it’s going to be a good game. If this was the old BioWare, I think you’d end up with a fantastic product. The problem is, the old BioWare isn’t around anymore. Most of the old guard has left, and the new people seem woefully inadequate for a project like this. Neither of the last two BioWare projects were any good.

I really want whatever this games ends up being to be a good game, but I don't have any faith In EA or BioWare at this point.

GreyHorace

It’s going to be a super-woke, GaaS reimagining. If I’m being honest, I don’t think there’s any real chance it’s going to be a good game. If this was the old BioWare, I think you’d end up with a fantastic product. The problem is, the old BioWare isn’t around anymore. Most of the old guard has left, and the new people seem woefully inadequate for a project like this. Neither of the last two BioWare projects were any good.

I really want whatever this games ends up being to be a good game, but I don't have any faith In EA or BioWare at this point.
The new Bioware for sure probably can't make a good game out of this. I've lost faith in them after giving them so many chances. But as I said, with EA holding the license there's now way an outside developer will get a chance to tackle this.

Still... Jedi Fallen Order turned out to be good and surprised everyone. I've said this in other Star Wars related topics but I really think Disney is on damage control mode now with regards to the brand. And part of their mandate is ordering EA to make Star Wars games that will win back fans. I don't know about woke but i don't think they'd dare make another GaaS game after what happened with Battlefront 2. Disney can't afford any more negative press and I think this rumored KOTOR game is part of their positive spin for Star Wars.

I could be wrong though. I hope I'm not.

Last edited:

Doom85

I mean, it's "Knights" of the Old Republic which I always assumed meant Jedi Knights. Which means at the very least a KOTOR game should have several Jedi in the party. And if the player isn't allowed to use the Force/lightsabers with their lead character, I can see many players turning their nose up at that. Besides, if you really don't want to play a Force User, just switch to another party member to control.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be Star Wars game where the lead is a non-Force user, but KOTOR doesn't seem appropriate for that IMHO.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Chris Avellone being in full creative control over the project regardless of devs. Tired of all dialogue being Marvel quips or everyone being Han Solo with a light saber, I need some QUALITY mature writing.

Javthusiast

Banned
I just want a great role playing game with a well written story, gameplay and dialogue options. But I have zero faith in current Bioware.

Kokoloko85

Give me Jedi Fallen order/Sekiro Light saber combat + classic Knights of the old republic like planets and gameplay and Im good.
Dont make it about some non Jedi..
make it long. Add some of the few great stuff Bioware has done since. Take notes from other great RPG’s open world games and others.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I suppose they are going the "reimagined" route to not only update the gameplay but probably make some tweaks on the lore to line it up with whatever they are cooking up in the new movies, which by all accounts will be in the "high republic" era. Even though that will be later than when KOTOR is set, they may have some new continuity they want to establish. I think this "Project Luminous" is involved

Last edited:

eot

Banned
Something in the vein of KotOR II, with an interesting take on SW, and not like the cartoonish story of the first game. Would love to see Kreia return in some form too

This is an impossible ask. It's beyond the will of Bioware and just beyond EA. Game mechanics have progressed so that anything too closely allied to the original game would feel dated (like Pillars of Eternity without the mitigating factors and general greatness)

I see Jedi: Fallen Order as a sequel of Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast. Since JKII was an entirely different beast to KOTOR beyond the visual, I guess i would just say that any new game should have the visuals of Jedi: Fallen Order and the gameplay of the best Bioware style RPG... Mass Effect 2? With all the depth and scope of a Star Wars universe game.

However i think it should be noted that they're going to "reimagine", and all of the content of the original game has been, i believe, retconned by Disney. So i think we're likely to see something more like battlefield than anything else.

Last edited:
Top Bottom