• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V mod implements AI powered story mode with over 30 AI models - Talk to characters freely using your voice

Raploz

Download: https://www.nexusmods.com/gta5/mods/672

According to the creator, the story is hand-crafted, however, there's quite a bit of freedom of choice and every character you find on the street has their own AI model. You can talk to them with your voice and they'll respond accordingly. They will also do actions based on what you tell them. For instance, at 7:55 in the video, he asks an NPC to follow him and the NPC does.

-------

This is pretty cool. In the future some games, especially RPGs, will benefit heavily from this tech.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Fucking modders with more ambition and creativity than any studio you can name. Using A.I in unique and ambitious ways, yet the games we play? Status quo - Same old dated design dating back to 2005.
Yeah because modders also built the whole game from the ground up

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It's impressive how much more lifelike the voice is compared to previous attempts at this same concept. Still robotic, but less so.
How does this work? is it internet powered, or does it use AI cores and is exclusive to GPUs with ML capabilities?

Fucking modders with more ambition and creativity than any studio you can name.
there's a reason why you're only seeing this in mods. Game development studios haven't had enough time to make games revolving around these concepts (AI started taking off around 2021-2022) not to mention the tech still not being there, you can have a back and forth conversation but it's very unrealistic and robotic. You have to initiate the conversation as opposed to anyone coming towards you, AI isn't talking to each other on the street like real people. For now it isn't the best feature, yet.

Mods are nothing but a beta test. companies like CDPR will be using tech like this in their games a couple years from now-2027 to 2028, i presume, when its a lot more mature and more acceptable in games. And it'll blow the absolute fuck out of this iteration.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

It's impressive how much more lifelike the voice is compared to previous attempts at this same concept. Still robotic, but less so.
How does this work? is it internet powered, or does it use AI cores and is exclusive to GPUs with ML capabilities?

there's a reason why you're only seeing this in mods. Game development studios haven't had enough time to make games revolving around these concepts (AI started taking off around 2021-2022) not to mention the tech still not being there, you can have a back and forth conversation but it's very unrealistic and robotic. You have to initiate the conversation as opposed to anyone coming towards you, AI isn't talking to each other on the street like real people. For now it isn't the best feature, yet.

Mods are nothing but a beta test. companies like CDPR will be using tech like this in their games a couple years from now-2027 to 2028, i presume, when its a lot more mature and more acceptable in games. And it'll blow the absolute fuck out of this iteration.
In terms of how it's most likely using the Internet, converting the players voice to text and using "free" ChatGPT via bing to get the text response and using AI voice synthesis to say the response, you can see it in the 2-3 second lag between question and response.

It can't all be done locally, creating the ChatGPT model used 1000s of Nvidia AI cards https://www.techspot.com/news/97919-chatgpt-possible-due-tens-thousands-nvidia-gpus-which.html

It's impressive nonetheless, I'm curious how they restrict in game character responses to ensure they play the role and don't exceed it, e.g. asking a cop about the basics of quantum physics.

That will probably be the biggest challenge for gaming, how to restrict the AI model to keep the NPC in character.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

green-whats-your-problem.gif

Yeah.... this tech will not be showing up in AAA until at least 2028.
Lol, that's me when my PC doesn't do what I want.

It will never be locally based in a game, the models are too large, if it was local it would be severely restricted. The best chance for this tech if they can restrict responses to the NPCs role and have it integrated in UE5 or UE6(whenever that happens) to restrict dev work but they would still have to implement NPC restrictions by feeding it role data(time consuming/cost).

It will be amazing in RPGs though to be able to converse rather that scripted responses.

Hugare

Very impressive

But I wonder what would happen if he didnt accept the girl's bribe, for example

I'm curious to see people breaking games with AI. How to keep linearity while dealing with AI powered NPCs will be very tough for developers.

And probably the reason why we havent seen anything from them yet

shamoomoo

Fucking modders with more ambition and creativity than any studio you can name. Using A.I in unique and ambitious ways, yet the games we play? Status quo - Same old dated design dating back to 2005.
But half the work was already done and modders have extra free time relatively speaking to add stuff to an already existing product.

nkarafo

This is the future. This is gaming 3.0

I suppose using AI for NPCs will be a revolution. But it will also cement the fact that everything will need an internet server or streaming to function.

This will create a big problem. All these games will die in the same way MMORPGs and multiplayer only games do. Once there is no profit incentive for a publisher to keep the AI servers active for a particular game, this game won't exist anymore. There won't even be a way to crack those games like they do now with many modern games that require online DRM. Because it will be impossible to crack the AI, this thing will always need a remote GPU farm to function. So forget about feeling nostalgic and wanting to play some old favorite in the far future that the publisher doesn't support anymore. Or even wanting to "clear your backlog".

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I suppose using AI for NPCs will be a revolution. But it will also cement the fact that everything will need an internet server or streaming to function.
Not necessarily. If that superconductor research is actually real then AI powered GPUS with processing power 100x times what the current 4090 is could be a real possibility in the near future.

at least, you'd better hope it is or else we'll be locked into a cloud future. the worst one....

nkarafo

Not necessarily. If that superconductor research is actually real then AI powered GPUS with processing power 100x times what the current 4090 is could be a real possibility in the near future.

at least, you'd better hope it is or else we'll be locked into a cloud future. the worst one....

Yeah but all publishers will most likely push that cloud future anyway, superconductor becoming a thing or not. Because this kind of total control is their wet dream end game. They want this.

The AI might just be a way for them to do it faster and sell us another "benefit" for going full streaming/cloud/online DRM.

Last edited:

PSYGN

Pretty cool. I wonder if people can refine the prompt to have the characters be less preachy or narrative-y. I was watching a similar Skyrim one and they all get preachy/poetic, basically responding not like most people would.

Last edited:

Myths

There will be a lot more use for AI too. Probably could simulate changes in voice when a character is exhausted, stressed, or injured with player action. Maybe those things change the outcomes too. Interesting.

Peter303

This guy has made a couple of videos talking to smart NPCs in a UE5 demo. It get's pretty crazy how sentient they seem and their realisation they're in a simulation.

Everything is fun and games until you say something innapropriate and the NPC reports you. Then you lose access to your digital money, you can't unlock the smart door to your apartment, your electric car won't start.

chlorate

I really want to see Microsoft (or a gifted modder) put Bing AI-powered villagers in Minecraft that can give quests to the player, and construct storylines between multiple villages. Every village has a name, procedurally generated lore, a culture, architectural style, unique cloth patterns, families, and goals.

Assuming this isn't just jaded post no. 2361763, I recommend looking into smaller, more experimental independent studios who are constantly trying out new technologies like this with game releases. As multiple posters have said above, this technology and these features are built upon by smaller creators first and foremost. The bigger studios will sink their teeth into these things slowly over time, once they are more refined for public consumption.

Look further into AAA dev cycles, tech implementation, dev interviews, etc. because usually when the big guys pick these things up, they either won't make a big deal of them or they'll give it a dumb name to make you think that it's something else, when it was simply an innovation that people discovered 5-10+ years ago.

Top Bottom