• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebuilding The Last of Us Part I: A deep dive into combat, animation, audio and visual changes with Naughty Dog

Stooky

Fbg3CcvVEAUR8Fi

The game looks insane!

GymWolf GymWolf I don't disagree with you, but I feel Stooky Stooky has a point still. Look at those who bash FFVII remake, they've argued to keep the game the same, but only change graphics and then you have many who welcome the gameplay change as it is indeed a "RE" make, so I see both points.

I wish it had The Last Of Us 2 elements and design, but I feel a logical argument can be made that this is The Last Of Us 1 and not 2 and to put all that design in the game might take away from that flow of what people enjoyed with Part 1.

I'd say, split the baby on this one and simply have 2 modes. A Part 1 mode with no prone, Part 2 mode with prone and other features. So seeing how the community bitches about any little thing, I find it hard to believe they could put all of the elements of Part 2 in and you wouldn't get anyone upset.

They are upset this is being remade at all with cries of "too soon" as if a fucking decade is some short time frame in tech or something lol

So I don't disagree with you Gym, but they'd complain regardless. Both of you make valid points and maybe they just should have let the player decide and added both options or something.
My other issue with adding prone and dodge is it would have pushed development out another year. People are already complaining that this took 2 years and thats with the blueprint already there with old tlou layout. I think ND made a logical decision probably mostly based on everything else they have coming down the pipe. I get peoples argument for it. From a devs perspective Either way people would complain

Last edited:

Markio128

I played it for about an hour last night (had to be up for work, so couldn’t push it too far 😂). Honestly, the game looks and plays brilliantly (Performance mode). The difference in visuals to the remaster are stark - the lighting, shadows, water effects, incidental details, character models, I could go on, are all much, much better. The guys is this very thread saying they should do this, or that better, well, I have no words. Have you seen other games? 😂

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Chiefdada- Curious if you're happy with it after playing and seeing it on the Oled ...does it look better than 2 in person?

It really does and I could never mistake it for TLOU2 there are way too many graphical improvements in aggregate for me to make such a mistake. I still believe the lighting, particularly indoor lighting, is the most significant upgrade over TLOU2. I think you and others I've debated with such as Hugare Hugare come in good faith so I guess we just have to disagree, but I'm content knowing I haven't gone crazy since I've seen some others here change their opinion in support of Pt. 1 looking better. It's the best looking game out right now, imo. Did they reach my original expectations from when they first announced the remake? No. Does it have rt like I hypothesized? Nope (those cube maps are ridiculously high res though). Did tech reviews mention the delta over TLOU2 like I anticipated they would? No. Have no problem admitting you were right and I was wrong on these points.

Hugare

It really does and I could never mistake it for TLOU2 there are way too many graphical improvements in aggregate for me to make such a mistake. I still believe the lighting, particularly indoor lighting, is the most significant upgrade over TLOU2. I think you and others I've debated with such as Hugare Hugare come in good faith so I guess we just have to disagree, but I'm content knowing I haven't gone crazy since I've seen some others here change their opinion in support of Pt. 1 looking better. It's the best looking game out right now, imo. Did they reach my original expectations from when they first announced the remake? No. Does it have rt like I hypothesized? Nope (those cube maps are ridiculously high res though). Did tech reviews mention the delta over TLOU2 like I anticipated they would? No. Have no problem admitting you were right and I was wrong on these points.
I still think that you're wrong about the improved lighting and etc., but I'll respect your opinion. The game has different color grading and etc. when compared to Part II, all by design, which can lead to some really different visuals that may be seen as "improvements", but they aren't, just using same tech in different ways.

That's why it's no coincidence that tech reviews didnt mention the delta over TLOU 2. Because it didnt have any. Just art differences.

But still, the game looks gorgeous and I'm having fun. I'm just disapointed at the lack of (even more) new animations.

Even with Motion Matching, it sticks out

I respect that. We were both right and wrong about some things. Seems to me that the the fidelity mode definitely puts this over Part 2. Not as clear cut in performance mode. The character models in game and in cutscenes are improvements. I think there are probably some small improvements to lighting elements. Very small but the ambient occlusion looks great indoors. Texture improvements? Probably not but maybe it's the fidelity modes higher resolution that gives the impression of better textures. They really need to raise the resolution of both this AND Last Of Us 2. LOu2 needs a ps5 patch with dual sense support!

If only this could've been like 1800p/60 I probably would've been happy with it. Does it have crushed blacks in dark sections of the game because it looks like some detail is being lost in some videos I've seen? I don't remember LoU2 looking this dark.

Top Bottom