• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New gameplay trailer for Square Enix’s action RPG, Oninaki, showcases all of its characters

CyberPanda

Banned
Square Enix has released a new gameplay trailer and further details on the characters in ONINAKI, the upcoming all-new action-RPG developed by the talented Tokyo RPG Factory team.

ONINAKI will be Tokyo RPG Factory’s third title and promises to continue the studio’s mission to take inspiration from classic Japanese role-playing games to create a brand-new experience on modern platforms following the releases of the critically acclaimed I Am Setsuna and LOST SPHEAR.

In ONINAKI, players will journey as Kagachi, a young Watcher who embodies the tenets of reincarnation, and whose sacred duty is to usher Lost Souls into the next world. Upon meeting Linne, a mysterious young girl with no memory of her past, his fate becomes entwined with blood and death. During his journey, players will also meet Kushi, an exemplary Watcher and trusted leader, Mayura, a Watcher with a kind heart, and the malicious Night Devil, a swordsman from a forgotten time who is hunting Linne.

The game is currently scheduled for a Summer release.

I really adore cel-shaded games. It's a breath of fresh air from all the 'realistic' looking video games flooding the industry.

Teslerum

Mayura is bae.
Hope it's fun, and I'm glad they brought on Chrono Trigger's director as creative producer.

Chrono Trigger had three directors.

Anyway, the concept art is great, but the art direction itself isn't really different from what Tokyo RPG Factory has done so far so I'm not really getting half these posts here.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I’m digging the designs and art direction. Always loved cel-shaded games! What I didn’t like in the trailer is that I felt the animation is a bit rough. Im in though

VertigoOA

Banned
Kinda looks like Transistor visually but not as pleasing with its art direction. I find the character art obnoxious so imagine most will feel different.

bigedole

I've liked both of their previous games, will definitely give this one a whirl once it goes on discount. The release price is always too high for what amounts to an indie game with a bigger budget.

Can't help but read the title as Annunaki.

I was very skeptical about this game initially but I'm warming up to it. Character design is solid and there is camera work in the cutscenes (not sure how to phrase this...). I'll keep an eye on it.

I bet the dark knight guy makes a heel turn by the end of the game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This trailer just might have completely sold me on this game. Its kind of similar system to Blades in Xenoblade 2 and Demons in Persona.

EDMIX

Yeah, I’m definitely liking the character designs and entire art direction.

Really? this isn't really a game I think you'd like. You hate JRPGs and you hate anime looking stuff /s lol

This a day 1 for me. I trust the team and liked I Am Setsuna and Lost Sphear

Exentryk

Combat looks good. With so many weapons, it should offer some variety as well.

The combat has generally been good from this studio going by their past games, so hopefully this one is fun to play too.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Sorry i also posted it in the character thread (is the search function of GAF messed up?I searched for Oninaki and this thread didn't came up).

Game looks really good IMO. If it gets a physical release then it's day 1 buy for me.

Danjin44

Game looks really good IMO. If it gets a physical release then it's day 1 buy for me.
If the Japanese version getting physical version then there is good chance we are getting on as well.
Oninaki_BoxJP.jpg

sublimit

Banned
If the Japanese version getting physical version then there is good chance we are getting on as well.
Oninaki_BoxJP.jpg
Holy crap this cover is so beautiful! If we get a physical release i hope it has the same artwork.

Did Lost Sphear had the same cover with the Japanese version? I didn't liked that cover very much.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Holy crap this cover is so beautiful! If we get a physical release i hope it has the same artwork.
Yap! The cover art for Oninaki looks absolutely gorgeous!!!

Did Lost Sphear had the same cover with the Japanese version? I didn't liked that cover very much.
Yeah I think so and I agree the cover art for Lost Sphear is little bit in boring side.
lost-sphear-525597.7.jpg

JimiNutz

Banned
Looks beautiful.
I love cell shaded games and even though action RPG isn't a favourite genre of mine I will probably give this a go due to the way that it looks alone.

Top Bottom