• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fatal Inertia screens (PS3)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Mario said:
Hopefully, just somebody learning to play for the first time or a very early speed class.
Yeah most racing games (pretty much all racing games) have you starting off in a slow class of vehicles. burnout/wipeout/ridge racer are just a few that come to mind.

Mario said:
The gameplay seems very... slow.

I was expecting it to be a lot faster. A LOT faster.

Hopefully, just somebody learning to play for the first time or a very early speed class.

After reading the feature set, and knowing that the vehicle damage affects the speed and handling of your vehicle. I look at the video with that in mind, wondering whether or not if the vehicle has magnate attached too it or has it ran into one of those moutains causing it to move slow or erracticlly.

Jim

For anyone who's interested, here's what some of the shots posted previously, look like at native resolution with no compression artifacts (just as they were sent from Koei).

11b.jpg

12b.jpg

Mmmkay

Hmmm, I guess I was right the first time then, these are a mix of devshots and framebuffer captures. I think these were downscaled by Koei before they sent them out.

X26

Banned
Looking at the km/h indicators and lap times, the tracks must be pretty ******* big. If the game is designed i na way that you're going that fast through a course, the game creators can get away with a lot.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Jim said:
I'm just trying to figure out how the courses actually work. None are really well defined "race tracks" (look at the map display). Instead you have an open environment with gates, and one start/finish line. I'm guessing you dash out, hit all the gates, and race back. Or something.
Looks like they're doing something similar to what a few games did this gen - pointing out the next gate you have go through with a spotlight that shoots straight into the sky. Unless you get completely turned around, there should always be a spotlight that you can see in front of you and you just head toward that. Less emphasis on racing a clean line around a well-defined track and more emphasis on just making it to next gate any way you can, playing to the combative aspects of the racing.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
kaching said:
Looks like they're doing something similar to what a few games did this gen - pointing out the next gate you have go through with a spotlight that shoots straight into the sky. Unless you get completely turned around, there should always be a spotlight that you can see in front of you and you just head toward that. Less emphasis on racing a clean line around a well-defined track and more emphasis on just making it to next gate any way you can, playing to the combative aspects of the racing.

Yeah, thats what it seems like. So you'll always have to be on your toes about what gates you need to get too.

Animal

Banned
this game should never hav come to be...stupid idea, ugly cars/planes/hovers...wtv you want to call them. The tracks look pretty um....pathetic is the word im looking for...from these pics the tracks look repetitive and unoriginal. Consider me not impressed.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Jim said:
For anyone who's interested, here's what some of the shots posted previously, look like at native resolution with no compression artifacts (just as they were sent from Koei).
(images snipped)

Can you post more?

Jim

mckmas8808 said:
Can you post more?

Sure...

BTW, I spoke with Koei about the whole courses/map thing, and this is how it is explained to work:

Koei said:
The map that appears on the bottom right-hand side of the screen- in a glance- is a complete picture of the course to the player. The glowing blue lines indicate the location of checkpoints – each checkpoint in Fatal Inertia must be cleared, in order, for the player to continue. By varying the positioning of the checkpoints, at least seven different courses will be created for each stage.

So yeah, the assumption was correct.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Jim said:
BTW, I spoke with Koei about the whole courses/map thing, and this is how it is explained to work:
Koei said:
The map that appears on the bottom right-hand side of the screen- in a glance- is a complete picture of the course to the player. The glowing blue lines indicate the location of checkpoints – each checkpoint in Fatal Inertia must be cleared, in order, for the player to continue. By varying the positioning of the checkpoints, at least seven different courses will be created for each stage.

So yeah, the assumption was correct.

Sounds like a interesting design for racing, on the other hand I hope that does not make them feel justified to put 4-5 corses in the game just because they can change around one course seven times. If they do go with a low level number amount, I hope they offer some more over the download content platform.

Thanks for the info Jim.

Kittonwy

Banned
momolicious said:
if i miseed a gate... i would just quit or restart, i hate missing checkpoints in racing games

I mean during multiplayer online races. I wonder how people will react online when someone knocked them to one side and they miss a gate.
gladtomeetya.gif

Top Bottom